ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rolling stones -over-rated band? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 24th, 2004 04:51 PM
KoOkY MoNsTeR i think the rolling stones are an over-rated band. they only get so much acclaim mostly because they have been together for so long, and they are a relic of the 60's. Sure they have written some great rock songs as it true of every other well known classic rock act, but the stones are very one dimensional and the bulk of their work sounds the same. The same recycled Keef riffs over and over again. Most of their studio albums are also very uneven, and they are not a band that is known for innovation. They were followers, and followed the trends of the day. Some of the trends they copied came off well (the punk ethos of some girls) but they failed terribly copying other trends like Beatles inspired psychedelia in satanic majesties. But the stones really didn't start trends of their own.

you may think the stones are the "world's greatest rock n roll" band, but the definition of "greatness" is going to be purely subjective here. If you rate "greatness" with being slavishly commercial, then yes I'd agree with that and the stones deserve that title. But if you rank "greatness" as being a cutting edge, risk taking, ahead of it's time band, then I think the rolling stones do not fare well in this category.
October 24th, 2004 04:55 PM
Bloozehound Are you sure you're not really OsCaR tHe GroUcH ?
October 24th, 2004 05:05 PM
The Wick Let's just ignore this post, it is the best way to respond. Please don't answer to such stupidity- just have sympathy.
October 24th, 2004 05:13 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Let's just ignore this post, it is the best way to respond. Please don't answer to such stupidity- just have sympathy.

No doubt, Wickie. If it was Roosevelt Franklin dissin' the Stones it would be one thing. But, some retard fat bastard like this creep talking trash is another.
October 24th, 2004 05:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Well, probably many of the statements are true but the Stones are a way of life, not the Mozarts of the 20th century and the new millenium

There are many facts that made them the greatest R&R Band,

It's the only R&R band that have been active in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s so active in 5 decades, active in two centuries and in two milleniums

They are part of music history and will remain in it for centuries

It's the only band that use to bring four or even five generations to rock

It's the band that have us all here having fun and reading your post

October 24th, 2004 06:00 PM
Mr. D You say they're overrated....yet the Stones have around 8-10 records that are undisputed classics. They are one of (if not the greatest) live acts ever, and are a band that has lived rock and roll through and through for over 40 years. You say they're one dimensional, yet the Stones have had their hand in every popular type of music...blues, rock, soul, regeae, psychadelia, pop, it goes on and on. And cutting edge? Listen to the cuts on Let It Bleed and tell me what music from that time is more polished and innovative. Mick and Keith have penned some of the greatest songs ever written. And the Stones are widely regarded by their own peers to be the greatest band ever, or at least in the top 5. Yes, they haven't made a really great record in over 20 years, but they did so much in their early days all the way up to 1981 that they can make awful albums until 2030 and still be considered one of the all time greats.
October 24th, 2004 06:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
KoOkY MoNsTeR wrote:
you may think the stones are the "world's greatest rock n roll" band, but the definition of "greatness" is going to be purely subjective here.

as is your definition of "overrated". Fuckwit.
October 24th, 2004 06:19 PM
mickjaggersgrl How could you say that about the stones! They freakin rock not because they lasted so long because they have good songs and albums! i love the stones, and even if they never made another good song again i'll still love them!

ROLLING STONES 4 EVER!!!
October 24th, 2004 07:14 PM
Soldatti No comments
October 24th, 2004 07:32 PM
Some Guy I plead the fizzle.
October 24th, 2004 08:37 PM
ResidentMule why do people end thread titles with question marks and then make entirely one-sided comments in their posts?

oh yeah, and, if whoever posted that wasn't an idiot they'd realize what a complete waste of time it was to come here
October 24th, 2004 08:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Well, I started my reply with "probably many of the statements are true", as they are real, then I exposed some facts. I gotta admit it was not a nice welcome, but it is also not the most diplomatic way to enter a board like this

Spank me Ronnie!
October 24th, 2004 10:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I gotta admit it was not a nice welcome, but

wasnt as "nice" as mine. Heh heh.
October 24th, 2004 10:56 PM
Ursus*Horribilis Say what?!
October 24th, 2004 10:56 PM
gypsy I thought you guys banned Bono?
October 25th, 2004 01:49 AM
corgi37 Hope that's post number 1, and number last, dickwad.

You forgot to mention the Stones have released the most live albums of any major act. All acclaimed masterpieces that truly reflect the dynamics and powerful spirit of their live shows. Why, on November 1, another addition to their arsenal will be released...

Um, no, wait. Sorry.
October 25th, 2004 01:52 AM
Poplar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I plead the fizzle.

classic
October 25th, 2004 03:20 AM
gypsy 1-2-3-4-FIFTH!
October 25th, 2004 03:49 AM
F505 Interesting thread. This guy has a theory and is entitled to have one. I don't agree with him (although some of the things he argues are true) but why the overstrained reactions and the terms of abuse like some of you use?
October 25th, 2004 04:32 AM
gypsy Fuck you!

just kidding
October 25th, 2004 04:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:
Interesting thread. This guy has a theory and is entitled to have one.

So had Hitler. He was a fuckwit too and deserved to have HIS 'theory' shot down in flames as well.

quote:
I don't agree with him (although some of the things he argues are true) but why the overstrained reactions and the terms of abuse like some of you use?

because he's a hypocritical fuckwit and his entire post was solely aimed at winding people up. Abusive enough?

[Edited by Gazza]
October 25th, 2004 07:35 AM
nankerphelge Hey -- no biggie -- some people just don't get it!

One less loser in the ticket line!
October 25th, 2004 08:01 AM
F505 [quote]Gazza wrote:
So had Hitler. He was a fuckwit too and deserved to have HIS 'theory' shot down in flames as well.

What has Hitler to do with this?

because he's a hypocritical fuckwit and his entire post was solely aimed at winding people up. Abusive enough?

In that case ("winding people up") this board might be full of 'fuckwits'

October 25th, 2004 08:05 AM
Gazza just because someone has a "theory" doesnt make it valid or worth considering.

also its a bit idiotic to come onto a Stones message board for the first time and with your first post, announce how ordinary you think the Stones have been throughout their career.

ighten up, F505 - its tongue in cheek.....Jesus
October 25th, 2004 08:17 AM
F505 Is that you Gary or is it Josh??????
October 25th, 2004 08:20 AM
Gazza oh its me, OK..Josh never explains himself...

Plus he'd be even more sensitive to the Hitler comparison...

I'll bitch about the Stones' business practices and laziness as much as (if not more than) anyone but I'll defend them to the death against anyone who says they're overrated.

To quote a line from a famous movie , "Love means never having to say you're sorry.."
[Edited by Gazza]
October 25th, 2004 05:53 PM
keith mcjagger hey lets see YOU try to stay together for 40 years, and still kick as much as as they do!

sure theyre past their prime, but thats not saying much. (dont worry that was a really big compliment!)

you must be some weirdo who likes good charlotte and avril lavigne and thosse shit-fucks.
October 25th, 2004 06:03 PM
iluvmickjagger07 youre really gay.(best word to describe him/her) even your message board name is gay, "kookie monster" go back to the sesame street message boards! the stones are better then great
October 25th, 2004 06:16 PM
keith mcjagger
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
youre really gay.(best word to describe him/her)

dont call them gay thats uncalled for. gay people arent bad. im nnot gay, but brian epstein and freddyy mercury were both gay, and theyre cool!
October 25th, 2004 07:07 PM
Scottfree
quote:
mickjaggersgrl wrote:
How could you say that about the stones! They freakin rock not because they lasted so long because they have good songs and albums! i love the stones, and even if they never made another good song again i'll still love them!

ROLLING STONES 4 EVER!!!

That's cute....
Page: 1 2