ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ozzy to record Sympathy for the Devil Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 15th, 2004 02:26 PM
stewed & Keefed REUTERS/Fred Prouser

Ozzy Osbourne has returned to his satanic roots by recording a version of the Rolling Stones' 'Sympathy for the Devil' for an upcoming covers CD. The disc, one of four to be featured in a boxed set due February 2005, also includes fresh takes on the Beatles' 'In My Life,' King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man' and Arthur Brown's 'Fire.

October 15th, 2004 05:11 PM
Lazy Bones I'm sure he'll change the title to "Sympathy For the F***ing Devil".
October 15th, 2004 07:27 PM
Soldatti perfect song for he, that's sure.
October 15th, 2004 08:06 PM
J.J.Flash I can even listen to Ozzy singing inside my brain..... Perfect song for him.

Carry on Mr. Madman!
October 15th, 2004 08:53 PM
Mr. D I think Ozzy believes the song was actually written about him....come to think of it, he may think Crimson's "21st century" is about him as well.

October 15th, 2004 09:44 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Here's another Ozzy/Stones connection for ya:

Tony Iommi was once the guitarist for Jethro Tull -- the only live gig he played with Tull was at the Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus.

FYI.
October 15th, 2004 09:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ozzy sings It's Only Rock & Roll in the "various Artists for Children's promise" CD single. The CD includes not just Ozzy singing IORR but Keith and Mick are in it

Also Mick Taylor and Alvin Lee were the backing band for Black Sabbath in the 1981 tour
October 15th, 2004 10:14 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Here's another Ozzy/Stones connection for ya:

Tony Iommi was once the guitarist for Jethro Tull -- the only live gig he played with Tull was at the Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus.

FYI.

I heard once that Jethro's performance on R'n'R Circus was nothing but a playback. I just don't know if this information is correct or not. Anyway that is one of the greatest songs I have listened.
October 15th, 2004 10:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL the answer is NO, they played live
October 15th, 2004 10:16 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
[...]

Also Mick Taylor and Alvin Lee were the backing band for Black Sabbath in the 1981 tour

Indeed Voo. By the way, you owe me that MP3 of "One of These Days" recorded with better sound quality (192Kbits/44 KHz).

TIA
October 15th, 2004 10:18 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
LOL the answer is NO, they played live

Sorry, I meant the Iommi's guitar. I heard it was played from a tape.
October 15th, 2004 10:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Indeed Voo. By the way, you owe me that MP3 of "One of These Days" recorded with better sound quality (192Kbits/44 KHz).

TIA

e-mail me my brother and I will mail you a copy of the CD as well
October 15th, 2004 10:42 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:

e-mail me my brother and I will mail you a copy of the CD as well

WOW!!!!

"I'm now so excited that I'm typing this with my nipples" - Joeykins - October/2004.
October 15th, 2004 10:53 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I found it interesting that Mick vetoed having Led Zeppelin perform. How cool would that have been to have LZ on the RNR Circus???
October 15th, 2004 10:55 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
I found it interesting that Mick vetoed having Led Zeppelin perform. How cool would that have been to have LZ on the RNR Circus???

Considering how overated they are, I think their status could be even raised
October 15th, 2004 11:07 PM
Soldatti
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
How cool would that have been to have LZ on the RNR Circus???

Very cool!!
October 15th, 2004 11:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Led Zeppelin was founded in July 1968 but their first album was released until January 1969
October 16th, 2004 12:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Ozzy? I thought he was a big Beatles fan and promoter. Why doesn't he cover a Beatles song?
October 16th, 2004 01:02 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Ozzy? I thought he was a big Beatles fan and promoter. Why doesn't he cover a Beatles song?

Hmmm...in fact he is Motsie....and he's going to record a Beatles song. Just can't remember which one.
October 16th, 2004 01:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Hmmm...in fact he is Motsie....and he's going to record a Beatles song. Just can't remember which one.

In My Life..... (...after a quick peek around the web)
October 16th, 2004 01:36 AM
Dan This will be ... interesting, to say the least. Ozzy has rarely done cover songs. Strange as he admitted about 10 years to pretty much not listening to music though he mentioned liking the Beatles and Peter Gabriel in the same interview. Probably likes Peter Gabriel because he sings just like Peter Gabriel.
October 16th, 2004 06:26 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Dan wrote:
This will be ... interesting, to say the least. Ozzy has rarely done cover songs. Strange as he admitted about 10 years to pretty much not listening to music though he mentioned liking the Beatles and Peter Gabriel in the same interview. Probably likes Peter Gabriel because he sings just like Peter Gabriel.

Ouch Danny! Ozzy ain't that bad. I really love Black Sabbath.
October 16th, 2004 06:28 AM
J.J.Flash There are great covers he has made like Purple Haze (featuring Lenny Kravitz, as far as I know) and Born to Be Wild.
October 16th, 2004 07:24 AM
M.O.W.A.T. He's also covered the Bee Gees "Staying Alive" with Dweezil Zappa on guitar -- f*cking hilarious version!
October 16th, 2004 07:29 AM
JaggerLips Bad idea Ozzy! Sympathy should not be touched by anyone don't care who they are. Britney Spears' version of Satisfaction was bad enough!

Cover versions very rarely compete with the originals.

October 16th, 2004 10:19 AM
Ronnie B. Wood whole jethro tull was on playback, only anderson's voice was live, thats true!!! that version sounds SAME as studio, exept voice...
October 16th, 2004 11:50 AM
ResidentMule unless he digs up an old recording with Randy Rhoads on it - not interested. as soon as Zakk Wylde touches it it'll sound like everything else he's ever done, why even bother using somebody else's song?
October 16th, 2004 11:51 AM
marko Bad idea,,,,,it will sound too heavy metal.....i love black
sabbath,but don�t like ozzys solo stuff.Boring music.
October 16th, 2004 12:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ozzy Covers Beatles, Stones for New Boxed Set
Fri Oct 15, 8:54 PM ET
Entertainment - Reuters
By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ozzy Osbourne has returned to his satanic roots by recording a version of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" for an upcoming covers CD.

The disc, one of four to be featured in a boxed set due next February, also includes fresh takes on the Beatles' "In My Life," King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" and Arthur Brown (news)'s "Fire," Osbourne told Reuters in an interview at his Beverly Hills home on Thursday.

Mott the Hoople singer Ian Hunter shares vocals with Osbourne on the glam band's signature song "All the Young Dudes." Leslie West (news) reprises his guitar work on power trio Mountain's "Mississippi Queen," and he "still absolutely kicks ass," Osbourne said.

The three other discs will include demos, rarities and outtakes from Osbourne's solo career, which began after he was kicked out of the pioneering heavy metal band Black Sabbath in 1978.

"I've done a lot of choruses and verses on other people's stuff, and I've actually sung with other people," Osbourne recalled. "I goofed around with Dweezil Zappa (news) one time" on a version of the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive," which has been dusted off for the boxed set.

"For die-hard fans it's a real good overview of Ozzy's career," his wife and manager Sharon said during the interview.

The Stones cover is appropriate fare for a man somewhat reluctantly linked with devil imagery in the decades since he co-founded Black Sabbath in 1968. Their 1970 song "N.I.B.," featuring the line "My name is Lucifer, please take my hand," echoes the sentiment of 1968's "Sympathy for the Devil" with its chorus "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."

But Osbourne's first musical love is the Beatles. Books on the Fab Four vie for shelf space with weighty tomes on World War II at the house.

His version of "In My Life" will be released as a single in Europe in November. Sharon Osbourne said she did not know if the track would be sent to U.S. radio outlets for airplay consideration.

Fans who still have money left over also can buy the DVD of "We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n' Roll," the documentary shot by Penelope Spheeris during the 1999 edition of the Osbournes' annual Ozzfest road show. It will also come out in February.

Originally intended for theatrical release, but never bought by a distributor, the film has rarely been seen in public. It features interviews and performances by such acts as Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie and Slipknot, scenes of religious protesters and topless female fans, and a touching backstage portrait of Osbourne and Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi warming up with an acoustic run-through of "Paranoid."

Reuters/VNU
October 18th, 2004 07:14 PM
JumpingKentFlash Ozzy sucks. He was great in the early Black Sabbath, but now he is a has-been.
Page: 1 2