ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
October 20th, 2004 08:10 PM
Some Guy Sad to say, but there's a new sheriff in town.
October 20th, 2004 10:09 PM
Soldatti Sad Sad Sad...
October 20th, 2004 10:29 PM
corgi37 It's going to be a smash. Gets a pretty good track by track review in the Sun as well. So, U2 is twice in the paper today. They are touring here next year.

Wonder if Live Licks can compete?

What's the pre-order sales for that?

Is any staff member of Virgin walking around with the album hand-cuffed to their wrist?

Nah, didnt think so.

October 20th, 2004 10:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Wonder if Live Licks can compete?

What's the pre-order sales for that?

Amazon lists the new U2's album at #5, a month before of the release date. Live Licks, out in less than two weeks, is #436. Don't you worry, it will be higher.
October 21st, 2004 07:46 AM
Factory Girl Bloozehound, the Libertines are a band from England. They have 2 cds out-Up the Bracket and the Libertines. They are produced by Mick Jones of the Clash.

Get "Up the Bracket" and thank me later!! They are brilliant!!
October 21st, 2004 07:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Amazon lists the new U2's album at #5, a month before of the release date. Live Licks, out in less than two weeks, is #436. Don't you worry, it will be higher.

Could it possibly be lower? LOL
October 21st, 2004 07:25 PM
Some Guy Explosive Sounds From U2

The Western Australian, October 21, 2004

Simon Collins

A copy of U2's eleventh studio album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, was pinched out of the Edge's bag while the Irish megastars were doing a photo shoot earlier this year. So, you can understand their label, Island, and parent company Universal being a tad cautious with the finished product.

A copy was hand-delivered last Monday to Universal Music Australia's Sydney HQ in the Rocks by Island U.K.'s international marketing manager Chris Dwyer for an exclusive listening party. As a red light flashed outside the boardroom, mobile phones were confiscated as one of the company's staff half-jokingly patted us down for recording devices.

The CD was theatrically brought to the boardroom by another staffer dressed in a radiation suit, the message being that U2 have delivered their most explosive album in years. The fake bombs and missiles positioned around the room drove home the point.

So, what's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb like? Well, keeping in mind that I've only heard it once -- on the day after the ARIAs -- bloody good.

The album opens up at full throttle with first single "Vertigo"; pure, fist-pumping riffage built for speed and fun, much like "Elevation" from 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind. Apple's latest iPod commercials will borrow the song; the first time U2 have licensed their music for an advertisement.

The most obvious feature of Atomic Bomb is the proud return of the Edge's clanging guitar; a trademark of classic albums The Unforgettable Fire (1984) and The Joshua Tree (1987).

This sound is apparent on the rumbling "City of Blinding Lights" and highlight "Crumbs From Your Table," a song about the AIDS crisis.

Aside from politics, the album dwells on the death of Bono's father in 2001. The singer recently told Q Magazine that he was the titular bomb emotionally dismantled by the loss. "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" and the excellent "One Step Closer" are specifically about the late Bob Hewson.

Love ballads "Original of the Species" and "A Man and a Woman" sit neatly next to those spiritual numbers. The album closes with "Yahweh" -- the Hebrew word for God -- a song about Jerusalem that manages to be catchy as hell while pondering another big issue.

Bono says the main theme of the album is the "journey from fear into faith."

Chris Thomas (Sex Pistols, Pulp) worked on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb for a year before being replaced by long-time collaborator Steve Lillywhite, who helms seven tracks. All That You... co-producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois team up for the fuzzed-out stomp of "Peace and Love or Else," while Thomas, Flood, Jacknife Lee and Nellee Hooper also contributed in the studio. Despite the many hands, Atomic Bomb doesn't feel forced or over stylised. Bono's lyrics are disarming and his vocals fresh. Some songs lose the listener at the mid-point but usually have a killer hook or lyric to bring you back in for the finale.

Making a U2 album is never an easy task. When asked how he knows when the record is finished, bass Adam Clayton deadpanned: "When it's in the shops."

Atomic Bomb hits record stores on November 21, preceding a huge 2005 for U2. They start their world tour in Miami next March and the smart money is on them dropping into Australia next October.
October 21st, 2004 08:59 PM
corgi37 I like the way they release an album, and give people 5 months to absorb it, before touring it.

But, Live Licks at #436!

Why even bother.
October 21st, 2004 09:29 PM
Some Guy Fans Return Notes Stolen From Bono 23 Years Ago

Oregonian, October 21, 2004

Dylan Rivera

Irish musician Bono began his appearance Wednesday night at the Rose Garden with a surprise announcement that could make music news around the world. He said two women returned notes and lyrics that were stolen from him 23 years ago when U2 played a Portland club called The Foghorn.

The lyrics were for U2's second album, "October," which came out belatedly because of the theft. Bono called the returned notes "an act of grace."

"You will never know how much that means to me," Bono said.

Danielle Rheaume of Vancouver, B.C., and Cindy Harris of Tacoma, Washington were the U2 fans who returned the stolen notes and lyrics.

Harris said she discovered a stiff brown Samsonite-style briefcase stuffed with about 70 pages of notes in the attic of a rental house in Tacoma in 1981.

The pages included photographs of the band; Bono's passport with his given name, Paul D. Hewson; and letters between the band and early fans and U2's managers. The notes included ideas for songs, including some that seemed to appear in later records, but they were not "polished," Rheaume said.

Harris, 44, said she was a U2 fan at the time, and has been ever since, but did not know the notes had been stolen until many years later. Busy with child-rearing, she said she did not know how to reach the band to return the notes.

In October 2003, she met Rheaume, 27, at work in the personnel department for Washington state. Rheaume spent much of the past year contacting U2's managment, attempting to meet them in the United States to return the notes.
October 21st, 2004 11:00 PM
Soldatti Live Licks is #488 today and U2 still #5.
October 21st, 2004 11:02 PM
Poplar
I finally got a good listen on "Vertigo." God U2 can fucking kick it. I'm psyched for the album in a big way.
October 21st, 2004 11:27 PM
glencar Well, if the Stones had actual new product coming out & U2 had rehashed live stuff, the Stones would be about #15 & U2 would be about #250.
October 22nd, 2004 07:21 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Poplar wrote:

I finally got a good listen on "Vertigo." God U2 can fucking kick it. I'm psyched for the album in a big way.

It's gonna be bigger than Star Wars!
October 22nd, 2004 09:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry, but there is only one "Greatest Rock & Roll Band On This Or Any Other Planet"...and it ain't U2. Never will be.

Believe it or not, I do not hate U2. In fact, they even have some songs that I actually like. I'll probably buy the new record. Bono is a twat, but his band does not completely suck.

That being said, U2 has put out nothing that can even come close to to say...Jumping Jack Flash, Monkey Man, or, of course, Midnight Rambler. Nothing near as good as Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice, or even, Hand Of Fate. In fact, I could rip off another 20 or so Stones songs that stomp a mudhole in U2's best work. U2's best work is on par with the Stones filler material.

Let's see what U2 are doing when THEY are all 60 something. They'll be peddling rehash packages of their back catalogue too!...just like the Stones are doing now...except U2's back catalogue ain't near as good.

Whaaaaa Keith stopped moving around Whaaaaaaa. WTF??? HE'S OLD!!! Let's see you play 108 2 hour shows in a year and a half...after drinking an entire distillery of booze, smoking 2 acres of high octane weed, snorting half of Peru up yer nose, and shooting most of Afghanistan in yer arm. It's a wonder that the guy can even stand up, let alone lug around a 12-15 pound guitar and wireless rig for 2 hours a gig.

Whhhhaaaaaaaaa Mick didn't use the B stage link enough BooooooHoooooooooooooooooo

You know why? Because he doesn't friggin' have to resort to silly stunts to keep his audience involved! He is Mick Fuckin' Jagger, 9th Wonder of the World! He is a 60 year old ball of fuckin' FIRE. I will never ever ever ever ever see anything like what Mick Jagger did at Roseland during That's How Strong My Love Is. It was earth shattering. He made me weep, not superficial tears, way down deep in my SOUL tears. When I left that show I was DRAINED, both physically AND mentally. U2 ain't gonna do that to me...not ever. I don't care how many tarts Bono pulls on stage(something Bruce has been doing years longer than Bono), or how many light towers Bono climbs, or how many flags he waves...HE CAN'T DO WHAT MICK JAGGER DOES. Even Mick's goofy spazoid dances are the coolest. Those dances would be ridiculous if ANYONE else did them...but it isn't anyone else is it...no it's not...it's MICK JAGGER. What more needs to be said?

I don't give a shit if the Stones record a new song ever again. It doesn't matter. There is no other band that has come out since the Stones arrived on the scene that can touch them. Period. Give U2 an A for effort, but they are jousting windmills. The bar has been set way to high for a twat like Bono to ever hope to reach.

Look, The Stones are now old men. Not only are they old men, but they are old men who have lived a grueling lifestyle for a lot of years...decades. The phrase "Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll" was coined because of them. The expectations some of you have is ridiculous. You act like these are young men we are talking about...they aren't.

There will never be another Rolling Stones. Never. They are, and always will be, The Greatest Band On Earth.

Midnight Rambler.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
October 22nd, 2004 10:21 AM
jb That was good posting.
October 22nd, 2004 10:27 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
That was good posting.

<----- I have never seen better posting !

Josh ...............my bowels are just a " Trucking " this morning ......................and you's ?!?!

Cassie Joe !
October 22nd, 2004 12:25 PM
glencar As much as I like U2, I agree with what was posted above. U2 is the second greatest band on the earth. There are the Rolling Stones & then it's a huge drop-off to #2.
October 22nd, 2004 12:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot I can't believe someone didn't come back at me with chart positions and sales figures.

Shit.

I have a great reply ready to go.

C'mon people, I haven't wetted my sword in a while. Let's go! Feed me!
October 22nd, 2004 02:35 PM
gypsy SS, I posted some anti-U2 posts in your honor while you were gone. I hope you appreciate it.
October 22nd, 2004 03:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy...I saw what you did.

I got a boner.
October 22nd, 2004 03:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
As much as I like U2, I agree with what was posted above. U2 is the second greatest band on the earth. There are the Rolling Stones & then it's a huge drop-off to #2.

you got that in a nutshell
October 22nd, 2004 03:15 PM
J.J.Flash Hey..... I don't like the Twat, but do you remember an obscure song from their "Pop" album - "Last night on earth"? THAT was a true great rock number.
October 22nd, 2004 03:25 PM
gypsy U2 the second greatest band in the world? Are you fucking kidding me? They're not even the 102nd greatest...they suck! Have you all been brainwashed? SS, help me out here. Please.
October 22nd, 2004 03:25 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I can't believe someone didn't come back at me with chart positions and sales figures.

Shit.

Here you're right, the Stones sold a lot more albums than U2 but Bono and company are loved for the critic and they have more awards than any other band on earth.
October 22nd, 2004 03:30 PM
gypsy Awards and critical acclaim don't mean shit anymore. When Justin Timberlake beats out Johnny Cash for an award...the world's fucked up.
October 22nd, 2004 03:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Awards and critical acclaim don't mean shit anymore. When Justin Timberlake beats out Johnny Cash for an award...the world's fucked up.

100% true and for example the best band of the world got only 4 Grammy awards on all the history while U2 got 15!
Ridiculous...
October 22nd, 2004 03:39 PM
gypsy Thanks, Soldatti.
I'm still waiting for SS to save this thread. Where are you?!
October 22nd, 2004 04:39 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I can't believe someone didn't come back at me with chart positions and sales figures.

Shit.

U2 Ready to Explode

The Star, October 22, 2004

Rock legend U2 returns to the frontlines with its new album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb next month. DARYL GOH gets a sneak preview of the most anticipated rock release of the year.

Early warning signs indicate that U2 is set to take out the year with a bang with its new album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, scheduled for worldwide release on Nov 22. This forthcoming new U2 offering follows the 11-million selling, Grammy-winning All That You Can't Leave Behind nearly four years ago and expectations are high for U2 to take the music scene by the scruff of the neck.

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is going to be massive. Everything is in place -� an album sounding like a classic in the making, the anticipation and of course, a great band to take it out on tour. Next year, U2 celebrates 25 years on Island -� it's been that long since Boy and we've got a catalogue campaign to run with the new album, so expect a lot of U2 about," said Chris Dwyer, Island Records senior international marketing manager, during a regional media preview of U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb album in Singapore last week.

Expectations are high for U2's new album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Security has been tight for U2's new material. Dwyer, flown in from London, was assigned specifically to introduce How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb to the media in Asia, Australia and New Zealand after a promo trek in the United States.

So is this new U2 album really worth the major fuss -� taken around the world by hand and so closely guarded?

For a band that has been kicking around for over 25 years and been responsible for some of the most crucial rock recordings of its time and beyond, you have to hand it to U2 for turning up with a new album loaded with heart and purpose.

Certainly, U2 cannot afford a weak record and it's good to note that the band is fired up to the task. More than anything, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb feels unmistakably U2. Driven heavily by rock guitars, sparks do ignite with the first single "Vertigo" (due out on Nov. 8) breaking loose with Bono's impatient "unos, dos, tres, catorce" punk rock kickstart while guitarist the Edge revisits his adolescent Motorhead fancies and charges down the blistering riffs like a bloodied bull.

It's the heaviest, spikiest and snappiest U2 single in ages (barely over three minutes). Suitably rock 'n' roll vogue, "Vertigo" flares up like a power station explosion, and those awesome garage guitars should pull a White Stripes fan or two.

Ghosts of vintage U2 do lurk between the corners of this 11-track album. The band is unstoppable for the first five tracks on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Between the well-thought atmospheric sketches of "Miracle Drug" down to the irrepressibly reflective song-craft of "City of Blinding Lights," the band rewards the faithful with the shimmering ambience of light and shade derived from the Joshua Tree years.

If the crowd-pleasing All That You Can't Leave Behind restored U2's classicist rock constructs, then for the most part, the new material remains equally intense and compelling -� but with one foot firmly in forward gear.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb kicks hard with ambition and also cuts deep. Built to provoke, "Love and Peace or Else" is by the far the most aggressive and politically-charged track. Produced by Brian Eno and Flood, this one bristles with conviction and burns with Lennon-esque fire. If you've missed Bono's outspoken politics, "Love and Peace or Else" should re-establish the potent edge.

As much as there are vast and sprawling rock tracks, the album's illuminating moment is a quiet one. The heartfelt "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," penned by Bono after his father's death, is a poignant hymn of dignity and healing. Just like Bono's tributes to his departed mother -� "Mofo" and "I Will Follow," this nakedly personal track comforts and ease the sorrow and loss.

Lyrically, Bono is in unshakeable form when dealing with faith, love, spirituality and trust across the rest of the album -� "All Because of You," "A Man and a Woman," "Original of the Species," "One Step Closer" and "Crumbs From Your Table."

Whether it's rock or melancholy intimacy, Bono's creative intuition as a conduit of hope is undeniable. These are not mere words embedded in a song, they are everyday realities and dreams that twinkle within Bono's verses.

Religion is also brought forward on the soulful "Yahweh" as Bono wrestles with both the Christian guilt inherent and the charismatic rock star inside. Think "Gloria" and "With a Shout," but with a little bit of Johnny Cash and loads of salvation implied.

Recorded in Hanover Quay, Dublin, and in the south of France, most of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was produced by Steve Lillywhite with addition production work by Flood, Brian Eno, Chris Thomas, Nellee Hooper, Jacknife Lee and Carl Glanville.

Apart from the standard CD edition, U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb will also be available locally through Universal Music Malaysia in good ol' fashioned vinyl as well as a deluxe limited edition box (CD, DVD, 48-page booklet) and also a CD/DVD package.
October 22nd, 2004 05:38 PM
Some Guy http://www.u2vertigo.com/

Good luck!!
[Edited by Some Guy]
October 23rd, 2004 01:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot Critics???

What the fuck do they know???

Awards???

Who the fuck cares???

It is all about the songs my friends. U2 ain't in the same league.

Oh sure, they sell boatloads of CDs...but so does Brittany Spears. To me, the charts and sales figures have become meaningless. This may have been a measuring stick in the past...but now??? Please nigga....talk to the hand.

You want a real measuring stick??? Try TICKET SALES!!! The Stones have some of the biggest tour grosses in history. U2 have done well on tour...but again, they ain't done anything like the Stones. The Stones sell more tickets at higher prices than U2 EVERY TIME. THAT is a true measuring stick. U2 may get people to shell out $13.00 for a CD, but the Stones get people to shell out $100.00+ for a concert ticket. Now you tell me...what says more?

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

U2 are a decent band, but they ain't even in my top 50.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6