ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
October 14th, 2004 07:48 PM
Some Guy U2 Album Review

The Sun, October 13, 2004

Victoria Newton

It is the most hotly-anticipated album of the year -- and it's as explosive as its title.

U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb goes back unashamedly to what the band do and love best -- anthemic, majestic, triumphant rock and roll.

Setting their stall out as they mean to continue, first single "Vertigo," out on November 8, is big, angry and jagged. Thrusting guitars drive it along at a relentless pace and set the tempo for the rest of the tracks.

These include "Miracle Drug," best song on the album, "Original of the Species," second best, "Crumbs From Your Table" and "City of Blinding Lights" -- both of which are polished, epic numbers reminiscent of material from The Joshua Tree.

While these songs are the keystone of U2's 11th studio album, they're not what How to Dismantle is all about. "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" is a touching ballad.

And for fans of the work Bono did with Brian Eno on the Passengers Soundtracks album, "One Step Closer" is a beautiful, electronic, ambient number.

Of course, Bono's political views creep in on "Love and Peace or Else" and "Yahweh" -- the Hebrew word for God -- but they never get in the way of the great music. The album is a return to form for Dublin's finest -- but then being off form is something U2 just don't do.

The quality here is bound to send Chris Martin into a spiral of paranoia about Coldplay's forthcoming release.

How to Dismantle will be released on November 22.

I give it 11 out of 10.

© The Sun, 2004.
October 14th, 2004 09:20 PM
Lazy Bones I like "Vertigo". Too bad radio has already destroyed it with repetition.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
October 14th, 2004 09:22 PM
gypsy I hope--for the both of you--that SS does not read this thread. He will be steamed, as he hates that TWAT Bono.
October 14th, 2004 09:31 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I hope--for the both of you--that SS does not read this thread. He will be steamed, as he hates that TWAT Bono.

Lol...I was thinking the same thing, Gypsy!
October 14th, 2004 10:22 PM
Soldatti I really like Vertigo but I'm a little tired for the excess of Airplay.
October 14th, 2004 10:50 PM
corgi37 Yes, very well. But, do you think it will out sell Live Licks? How can "new" music possibly ever compete with the live fury of rare songs like "Brown Sugar", "Gimme Shelter" or "Jumping Jack Flash"?

How could coming up with some thing new and inspiring ever compete with re-hashing "Street Fighting Man", or (God help us) "It's only rock & roll"?

As much as i hate them, maybe there really is a new "greatest band in the world"?
October 14th, 2004 10:54 PM
Angiegirl U2, now *there*'s a band I genuinely dislike! Yeah! Well, maybe except for some older songs.
Saw them live in '93. Didn't do it for me.
October 14th, 2004 11:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yes, very well. But, do you think it will out sell Live Licks? How can "new" music possibly ever compete with the live fury of rare songs like "Brown Sugar", "Gimme Shelter" or "Jumping Jack Flash"?

How could coming up with some thing new and inspiring ever compete with re-hashing "Street Fighting Man", or (God help us) "It's only rock & roll"?

As much as i hate them, maybe there really is a new "greatest band in the world"?

The Stones were at the same level 20 years ago, but the difference now is that U2 is running alone, almost zero competion on the Rock camp on this days.
October 14th, 2004 11:33 PM
gypsy Corgi! Bite your tongue, young man! There are a LOT of other bands that you could nominate to take the "greatest band in the world" title...but you just HAD to say U2.

Excuse me while I go to the BOG to vomit.
October 14th, 2004 11:49 PM
M.O.W.A.T. U2 was the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band -- in 1987. You just couldn't escape them what with the Joshua Tree. I attended a show at Montreal's Olympic Stadium (cap. 68 000)and was amazed by the performance. For such a large venue they made it seem like an intimate club.

However, with the exception of Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind, the band has left much to be desired. As many say, Bono is a wee bit preachy these days and The Edge has to come to terms with his baldness (for chrissakes, lose the toque!). I have heard Vertigo and I don't find the song very earth-shattering unlike Sunday, Bloody Sunday or Pride.

Now R.E.M., there is a band that has totally lost its relevancy.
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
October 15th, 2004 12:20 AM
gypsy I only like a handful of U2's songs. That's it. Not near enough to even put them into "best band" contention. I probably like more Eagles songs than U2 songs.
October 15th, 2004 05:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I probably like more Eagles songs than U2 songs.

Now its MY turn to vomit!
October 15th, 2004 09:11 AM
Factory Girl The Libertines already have a song titled "Vertigo".

I don't like U2's Vertigo, it just sounds like same ole U2 s/t.

U2 is good in concert when you're really wasted and on a hot date.

BTw, I despised their last CD..."All that you can't vomit."
October 15th, 2004 09:33 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I hope--for the both of you--that SS does not read this thread. He will be steamed, as he hates that TWAT Bono.

Personally , I was under the DISTINCT impression that S. S. was indeed going to post more .

Frisky !
October 15th, 2004 11:49 AM
Madafaka Vertigo is a cool song, but the video clip sux!
Do you remember the video of Elevation? That was a video!
October 15th, 2004 03:59 PM
gypsy Gazza, I was being sarcastic...it was one of those things like "If someone had a gun to your head, and you HAD to choose one band, which would you pick?"
October 15th, 2004 07:14 PM
Gazza ohhhhhhh..I know.....
October 15th, 2004 07:45 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Vertigo is a cool song, but the video clip sux!
Do you remember the video of Elevation? That was a video!

You right, the video sucks.
But at least they are making videos. When was the last time that the Stones, the whole band, did a video? November 1997 if my memory not fails.
October 15th, 2004 08:01 PM
Scot Rocks
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
The Libertines already have a song titled "Vertigo".

I don't like U2's Vertigo, it just sounds like same ole U2 s/t.

U2 is good in concert when you're really wasted and on a hot date.

BTw, I despised their last CD..."All that you can't vomit."

Indeed

The Libertines Vertigo is much better and I would always rather see them live than U2 but then the Libertines - if Pete is there - are one the best live bands on the planet at the moment.

Koreema know just what it is she does
It cant be hard for her to get a buzz
Down in the street below
You can hear the drunken prophet sing
"I know whats on your mind my boy
I can see oh everything
Lead pipes are fortune made well
Take a tip from me
Climb up to her window ledge or you'll forever be

Just walking under ladders as the people round you hear you crying please"

Who really knows just what it is she does
It cant be hard for her
To get a buzz
The rapture of vertigo
And letting go
Me myself i was never sure
Was it the liquor
Or was it my soul?

October 15th, 2004 08:04 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
You right, the video sucks.
But at least they are making videos. When was the last time that the Stones, the whole band, did a video? November 1997 if my memory not fails.

Yeah, you're right one more time
October 15th, 2004 09:15 PM
Some Guy Rock Stops the Traffic, Yet Again

@U2, October 15, 2004

Daisy Gale

Yet again, U2 managed to stop the traffic when they performed tracks from their next studio album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, in the car park at BBC TV Centre, London.

True to form for a U2 performance, it rained persistently throughout the television coverage. Performance-wise, the set was reminiscent of the Elevation tour - similar posing from Bono and almost identical clothes, minus the numbers, from the Edge. Larry looked smart with a tailored black suit jacket. Adam opted for a close-fitting black leather jacket and Bono wore a long, black leather coat with a fur (fake?) collar. Bono topped his outfit off with a straw stetson and lime-green shades.

Whilst the presenters were introducing the single, "Vertigo," Bono could be heard in the background shouting, 'Exterminate, exterminate'. Whilst this might have been aimed at those pretenders wanting to steal the title of 'Greatest Rock Band in the World' it was probably a nod to the Dr. Who tardis in the audience. Have U2 written the theme music for the new Dr. Who series, or is the tardis the new lemon?

The band appeared to be very animated during the performance. Bono was the only band member performing 'live' over a pre-recorded backing track (which seemed slightly dead). He was also noticeably struggling by the end of the song, although he has had a bad cold recently, which has probably affected his singing. All the band members stayed on the small stage throughout the song, except for Bono who jumped off towards the end and bit the hand of a blonde female who stood behind the crash barriers.

Bono ended "Vertigo" by singing, 'Hello, hello, it's good to be back, It's good back, hello,' as in the Oasis song, "Hello."

At the end of the programme, U2 continued their set by playing four more songs off the new album. Bono was holding a guitar, but the vocals were practically unintelligible over the loud TOTP title credits.

(c) @U2 2004
October 15th, 2004 10:59 PM
Soldatti That's a good promotion.
October 15th, 2004 11:32 PM
Poplar
U2 still "got" it.

Stones, barring a turn of fortune, have lost it.

October 16th, 2004 09:08 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Poplar wrote:

U2 still "got" it.

agreed, I am anxiously awaiting this new album! I friggin loved that last album! I have a feeling this will top it.

Your move Stones.
October 16th, 2004 11:58 AM
ResidentMule somebody please explain to me what's so special about this band? even if Bono wasn't a twat they still do nothing for me
I haven't even heard Vertigo yet - I've been afraid to turn the radio back on since the last big wave of U2
and the sad part is that 90% of their stuff I liked when I first heard it but they just don't seem to know when they've gotten their point across
October 16th, 2004 12:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Poplar wrote:

U2 still "got" it.

Have faith, this new album will be good, after 8 years must be GOOD.
October 16th, 2004 12:41 PM
gypsy 8 years? But it feels like an eternity.

October 16th, 2004 12:47 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gypsy wrote:
8 years? But it feels like an eternity.

An eternity? For me was a life, the first album that I bought was Voodoo Lounge and that was 10 years ago. The Stones only released 2 studio albums since I'm a fan. I'm eating my arms for a new album.
October 16th, 2004 01:10 PM
Some Guy
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
somebody please explain to me what's so special about this band? even if Bono wasn't a twat they still do nothing for me
I haven't even heard Vertigo yet - I've been afraid to turn the radio back on since the last big wave of U2
and the sad part is that 90% of their stuff I liked when I first heard it but they just don't seem to know when they've gotten their point across

NEW @U2 'IT'S UP THERE WITH ACHTUNG (BABY)'
October 13, 2004
posted by: m2

That's how Bono ranks How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb in the newest edition of Blender magazine. "Bob Hewson�s passing", says author Adrian Deevoy, "and its effect on his son run through the album like a river." Edge adds his thoughts: �These are the most direct and concise lyrics we�ve done. There�s no hiding behind mysterious metaphors.�
October 16th, 2004 01:16 PM
Bloozehound the Eagles are the greatest band mentioned in this thread

u2s for homosexuals

and Who fans

whichevers worse, pick yer poison

bona drag
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6