ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Shine a Light' Return to archive
11-01-02 05:08 PM
sasca I've heard it said that this song is about Brian Jones - which the lyrics certainly suggest. Another possibility is Michael Cooper. Or Brian and Michael might have crossed Mick or Keith's mind while they were writing it without it really being about them. Any ideas?
11-01-02 05:13 PM
Child of the Moon I've heard a lot of things about it. First it's about Brian, then it's about Keith, then it's about a mix of people. I always think of Brian when I hear Winter, personally. When I first heard Shine a Light, I thought the song was "about" me, which was a comforting thought at the time, to say the least.
11-01-02 06:43 PM
Jaxx on the Main STreet revisited boot, there's a rough version of the final cut and in the chorus they sing, "flash a light". certainly not as poetic as "shine a light". in fact, mick's phrasing and vocals are very bluesy in this rough cut, reminding me alot,of Janis Joplin's style. i find the song to be rather inspirational. i enjoy the "stripped" version over the "exile" version.
11-01-02 07:21 PM
stonedinaustralia jaxx,i know what you mean about that "flash/shine" thing 'tho i think they're as equally poetic as each other
tho "shine" has a softer tone and suggests something more enduring and benevolent while "flash" is just that, a short sharp shock - a bit harder yet more brittle

i agree tho, that early version is great - you can reallly see into the heart of the songs by listening to the demos and rough cuts - you often get more of a view of the original idea behind all the music

somewhat in line with what you say for me that earlier take has a more "soulful" feel - more obviously out of the same school as otis redding - the nod to memphis is a little more muted on the exile track

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-01-02 07:37 PM
lou g
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
on the Main STreet revisited boot, there's a rough version of the final cut and in the chorus they sing, "flash a light". certainly not as poetic as "shine a light". in fact, mick's phrasing and vocals are very bluesy in this rough cut, reminding me alot,of Janis Joplin's style. i find the song to be rather inspirational. i enjoy the "stripped" version over the "exile" version.

The version on the stripped CD is one of the Stones greatest creations. I just wish they would do it on this tour.