ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Fans -- Warren Zevon Fans? Return to archive
10-31-02 03:20 PM
Highwire Rob What did you think of Warren on Letterman last night? He was the only guest and performed several new and classic songs.

Openly with Dave and audience, the inimitable Zevon shared humor regarding his recent diagnosis of lung cancer. This guy is one hell of a classy person and a damn good rock writer and performer! (When I read the brief RS magazine--Keith Cover Issue 907--report about his condition it really choked me up.)

On camera, one could see that Letterman was holding back some strong emotions for his friend and a favorite performer. His new album, MY RIDES HERE, (yes, he joked about the ironic history of his title selections), sounds great. I became hooked on his music ever since I saw the movie, "Grand Canyon," which featured the song, "Lawyers, Guns, and Money." No one can write a sarcastic, penetratingly true lyric with a dose of macabre humor like Warren Zevon, except for maybe Mick. That's why I figure many of you out there are also a fan of both. Thank you Warren, hold on man!
10-31-02 03:24 PM
nankerphelge I always liked him -- played the shit outta Excitable Boy when it came out -- had "Lawyers, Guns & Money" and alot of other great tunes. It is a shame that we are about to lose him! Sorry I missed it last nite...
10-31-02 04:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Warren wrote some great halloween songs....Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner, and of course, Werewolves Of London.

I always thought Warren was one of the better "piano" songsters. That stuff usually ain't my bag, but Warren could rock.

And my bro FPM is a Zevon look-a-like.

Yeah, it's a real shame that good artists like Zevon get terminal cancer, and no talent idiots like Eminem get to make more albums. Not that I wish Eminem would get terminal cancer or anything, I just wish his 15 minutes was over already.
10-31-02 04:27 PM
MidnightRambler I caught this on Letterman also and I was captivated by his sense of humor and his entire outlook on his whole situation. I have to say that I never really heard any of Zevon's stuff but after last night's interview---that gave me in the intention to want to know MORE about him. Man, I really bad for him, really. Such a great person and the way he strummed his guitar--oh so slowly and out of energy really hit me hard.

Anyone recommend any Zevon classics that MUST be heard? Anyone get his greatest hits CD?
10-31-02 04:30 PM
stonedinaustralia "bad luck streak in dancing school" is a great album - and the tracks mentioned by the others are all great

he also wrote "carmelita" - made famous by linda ronstadt

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-31-02 04:51 PM
stonedinaustralia oh yeah and in the '90's he put together a "hobby band" with some of the guys from REM (i think, i'm a bit fuzzy on that detail)- they were called "hindu love gods" (or "hindu gods of love"?) - all big guitar noises and gut-bucket production values - they did a whompin', stompin', rockin', rollin' take on prince's (as he then was)"raspberry beret"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-31-02 04:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I always thought Warren was one of the better "piano" songsters. That stuff usually ain't my bag, but Warren could rock.

To be perfectly honest I'll take Randy Newman 9 times out of 10.

However, there isn't a Warren Zevon album I've heard that doesn't make me chuckle when I look on the back of an album and read the tracklist.

His first album is great and his second album is at least half great.

I am kind of partial to The Envoy as an interesting mid-80s Zevon LP, particularly that song "Ain't That Pretty At All".

Have heard nothing of his music after that late 80s anti-consumerist rant with the greenish cover.

I also like the fact that he sends his werewolf after Jackson Browne and James Taylor on his live album "Stand in the Fire".

Does anybody know if Dylan has covered "Mohammed's Radio"? That would be great.

By the way SIA, it WAS the HIndu Love Gods.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
10-31-02 05:43 PM
Martha SS wrote: Warren wrote some great halloween songs....Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner, and of course, Werewolves Of London.

Dave said he begged Warren to play Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner last night SS. It was the third song he performed. I'd never heard it before..only know the "hits" and the stuff he's performed on Dave's show over the years.

Dave WAS holding back the emotions and I applaud him for being brave enough (and kind and respectful) to have him on for the entire show..I am so emotional that I could NEVER do something like that without bursting into tears that won't stop...thus no talk show hosting job for me ehhh?

Reminded me of when Carson had Micahel Landon on when he was dying..he was very frail and weak I remember..I know Johnny really admired Michael and that was another very emotional moment in televison history...and seeing stuff like that mometarily suspends my normally critical take on that medium.

God bless you and your family Warren.
10-31-02 09:04 PM
Joey " Reminded me of when Carson had Micahel Landon on when he was dying..he was very frail and weak I remember..I know Johnny really admired Michael and that was another very emotional moment in televison history...and seeing stuff like that mometarily suspends my normally critical take on that medium. "

I remember that night in 1991 Martha ...........I believe George Foreman was also on the bill and George remarked how good Landon looked that night --- Michael would die a few months after the episode aired and Johnny would lose his son " Rick " to a car accident in June of 1991 .

I always loved Carson and not just because he came from Nebraska ............. The Man had Class and could really drink with the best of them . David Letterman is a favorite of mine becuase he is just as brilliant and witty as Johnny but has about 1/1000th of the class Carson had --- too bad -- I guess that is why he finishes second in the ratings game night after night after night ........

Truth be told , it was Johnny Carson who had the drinking problem and not Ed McMahon .

" Lets drink Heineken tonight Ronnie "

Joey Carsoni

10-31-02 09:37 PM
justinkurian I've only heard 'Werewolves in London'...Can those who know his music better recommend their own greatest hits? I'm curious to hear some other tunes...
10-31-02 09:40 PM
Mother baby I can't say too much about Warren Zevon because apart from a few of his hits I never paid that much attention to him...my loss probably. But I did see Harrison on VH1, his last appearance there that they kept rerunning. Man I know I'm a procrastinator and slow to catch on sometimes but I hadn't really seen what a great human being he was until after he died. It was something in his eyes on that clip, Im not sure what exactly. Anyway I'm sure the radio stations are pumping out WWOL tonight (I'm soundless here).
Take nothing for granted I guess..........
10-31-02 09:44 PM
Fiji Joe My fave was the night that little monkey pissed on Johnny's head...took it stride Johnny did...as you say, he is from Nebraska
11-01-02 12:34 AM
Roland Linda Rondstat also did Zevon's "Poor Pitiful Me" as well as "Carmalita". I'm thinking maybe a couple of others also but they're not coming to mind. Saw Zevon at the State Theatre in Falls Church VA a couple 2-3 years ago, just him and his guitar and piano. He surprised me with "Hand of Fate"!
11-01-02 07:25 AM
JaggaRichards so sad about Zevon
11-01-02 08:27 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Roland wrote:
He surprised me with "Hand of Fate"!

what..did he play it?