ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards called a 'mama's boy' Return to archive
10-30-02 11:45 AM
Lazy Bones

Keith Richards called a 'mama's boy'

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) -- It may be hard
to believe, but hard-rocking Rolling Stones
guitarist Keith Richards was a mama's boy. And
drummer Charlie Watts banjo playing lead him
to the drums.

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman
reveals these things in his upcoming book,
"Rolling With the Stones."

Wyman, who left the supergroup in 1997 to
become a solo artist, said Richards' mother
said Keith always clung to her.

"His mother always said he was a bit of a
mama's boy," Wyman revealed. "He used to cry
a lot and be frightened of being left at school
and all. But that's because he's an only child."

Wyman also said since Richards is an only
child he definitely likes to have his way.

"Single kids do get spoiled a bit more than kids
with brothers and sisters, so I supposed that's
why he likes his own way and ...that's why he
can be a bit bullyish sometimes."

And Wyman said drummer Charlie Watts was a
creative child, or else the world may not have
seen him as a great drummer.

Wyman said Watts wanted to play banjo as a
boy but couldn't get the hang of it. Watts was
an enterprising sort, so he took apart the banjo
and made himself a drum. Wyman said the idea
paid off.

"It obviously paid him well because Watts
turned out to be a great drummer, rather than a
great banjoist, thank the Lord," Wyman
quipped. "If Watts had been a great banjo
player, he never would have been in the band
now would he?"

Wyman knows these intimate details because
he pretty much grew up with Richards, Watts
and lead singer Mick Jagger and guitarist
Ronnie Wood when he joined The Rolling
Stones in 1962. He experienced the band
growth from just some band from England into
its legendary status as one of the world's
greatest rock bands of all time.
10-30-02 11:48 AM
stonedinaustralia bollocks
10-30-02 12:49 PM
SlackerZ WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i am learning some great stone's history!! wyman left the stones in 1997!!!! In the voodoo lounge tour he rocks!! yes but i think he has an illness or something why he was black? i don't know and why he changed his name to darryl?
Then ronnie wood joining the stones in 1962!!! this is great, keith , ronnie and brian!! the three of them together, those were the times my man!!
Ok great article!!
I hope the wyman book doesn't have this mistakes on it.
10-30-02 01:02 PM
Maxlugar The book is fantastic!

It took me roughly four hours to get through it just looking at pictures.

BILL WYMAN RULES!

10-30-02 01:09 PM
marko So its worth of every penny?i ordered it to local book shop.
10-30-02 01:15 PM
jb Max, it has been confirmed that Bill is now wearing a full hair piece.
10-30-02 02:43 PM
Maxlugar That is a God Damned lie you son of a bitch!!!

Take it back Josh! I mean it!! TAKE IT BACK!!!!

Don't get me going!

We were going to be friends!
10-30-02 02:47 PM
luxury1 Wyman has some valid points. I've known some selfish, bullying only children in my lifetime. Sound familiar anyone??
10-30-02 02:52 PM
jb I am sorry Max..Stonedoug confirmed my suspicions!!! This is not b/t you and me...this is b/t Bill and his hairdresser.
10-30-02 03:02 PM
Boomhauer I know Bill has every right to do this kind of stuff, but..........what's the fucking point?

Wow, Keith was an only child and spoiled and bullyish! Good work, Bill. How about if you tell us how good Mick was at basketball and how much Ronnie likes to watch re-runs of "Three's Company". That would really kick your book up one notch.

Although, I do like the pictures. It is a good picture book.

Can anyone answer me this question?:

Does Bill think that the STones should have retired just because he left the band?
10-30-02 03:06 PM
jb Good post Boomhauer and very true...he probably resents the fact that since he departed, every tour has been bigger and better
Also, Riffhard, is Bill in New York yet?
10-30-02 03:06 PM
Moonisup Keith is a mama's boy

he ain't as stones as 20 years ago, he is more human now! that's ok with me
10-30-02 03:11 PM
Maxlugar Bill is writting interesting little tid bits throughout the book.

Don't everybody get themselves in a tizzy over some things.

The book is solid gold.

Get it.

10-30-02 03:15 PM
Moonisup Yeah it really is! What did it cost you Max? It's Euro 54.25 here, that is about 51 dollar.

but it's really worth it! I will go to Amsterdam, and let Bill sign it
[Edited by Moonisup]
10-30-02 03:19 PM
Boomhauer Yeah, you're right. He needs some new material for his book, but I just don't see what his point was in saying Keith's mom said he is a mama's boy. It just seem kind of.................dumb. Like it doesn't really do any good or bad; it's just there.

I'll check it out at the library. Saw it at Barnes and Noble about two weeks ago.

Hey Max, I was listenin' to that gem -Dirty Work- in my car. I turned the title track all the way up and some guy was lookin' at me weird. I said, "The power of Dirty Work is now within you, heathen! Spread forth the word and give a brotha $14.99 so he or she can buy it at Wal-Mart."
10-30-02 03:20 PM
Maxlugar $35.00 plus free delivery.

I have noticed that www.amazon.com has a new choice for delivery. It's 5 to 9 day shipping and it's free. The thing is, it comes right away. So far. So you can't go wrong.

I can't wait to put on some music, pour a few drinky poo's and thumb through it this Friday Night.

Thanks Bill Wyman!

10-30-02 04:23 PM
kath bill is wearing a full hairpiece now??? NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! say it isn't so!!!!!!! oh dear god, nothing makes any sense any more...the whole world is topsy turvy!!!!!
10-30-02 04:37 PM
SirMuddy Keith a Mama's boy...
nothing new...
Charlie a Banjo player...
I just finish read it in an old charlie interview...
He scrap the banjo, take the neck off and make a snare with it... Nice!
Nothing new again...
If Bill can't say nothing new he's better shut off
and let the pictures talk!

10-30-02 05:13 PM
gypsy I got the book yesterday. It took a long time to get through the photos. It's very nicely laid out.
As for Keith being a mama's boy, I had already read about that in several other books. It's nothing new, and certainly no big deal. The book about Keith by Barbara Charone contains interviews with Keith and his mom. In the interviews, Keith's mom contradicts nearly everything Keith says about his childhood. It's very funny...a good read!
10-30-02 05:37 PM
kath please note that this has NOTHING to do with my opinion that i think keith runs like a girl!!!

i saw keef's mom in london, she came to see charlie at ronnie scott's (not the same nite keef did). she was with her husband and sherry daley and some other people. charlie went over to her table and gave her a big hug and kiss. keef looks a LOT like her.
10-30-02 08:22 PM
gypsy kath, quit saying keith runs like a girl.
luv ya, kath! hope you're feeling better!
10-30-02 09:27 PM
kath see? i love keef. it's not an insult, it's just a personal interpretation/observation. and i say it with all the love in my heart for the man. i just think he runs funny. i run funny too. like a girl. except i get black eyes.

10-31-02 12:03 AM
sammy davis jr. mmm..Keith would have you believe he grew up on a pirate ship or some shit. I told you his acting like a tough bad ass was just a front. In the immortal words of Andre Agassi, "Image Is Everything."
10-31-02 06:47 AM
Mother baby
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
mmm..Keith would have you believe he grew up on a pirate ship or some shit. I told you his acting like a tough bad ass was just a front.

Huh??? Just a front???? Please don't mess with my head like that, I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
10-31-02 08:07 AM
Pants Make the Man So what if Bill talks about Keith. That doesn't make Keith any less of a riff master. I mean, look how Keith talks about Sir Mick- didn't he call Mick a fairy? Cut Bill some slack- and no, he doesn't wear a toupee. You're thinking of the guy from Quiet Riot, jb.