ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Halloween Everyone (never's too late to scare you all, will ya?)
Beacon Theatre, NYC - 1st November 2006
© GotToRollMe
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "The Portrait of a Pirate" - the inspiration for POTC Return to archive
30th October 2006 09:59 AM
Gazza

The Portrait Of A Pirate
Updated: 11:28, Monday October 30, 2006

A portrait of Keith Richards which was the inspiration for Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean has gone on show.

The 6ft oil on canvas depicts the Rolling Stones guitarist as a swashbuckling pirate complete with cutlass and casket of buried treasure.

It was painted by artist Paul Karslake, the brother-in-law of Richards' bandmate Ronnie Wood.

Inspiration: The portrait of Keith Richards

Hollywood star Depp saw the painting and used it to create his movie character Jack Sparrow.

Since 1998, it has been displayed at Richards's home but now it is to go on public view as part of Karslake's latest exhibition, Survivors, at London's Artisan Gallery.

"My 6ft painting of Keith was hung in his New York apartment and was seen by his dinner guest, Johnny Depp," Karslake explained.

"He had recently received a script for a pirate film and was in the midst of deciphering the look and personality of the character Jack Sparrow.

"Johnny claims the picture was his inspiration."

Karslake's other subjects include Twiggy, Sir Winston Churchill, Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon.

The Survivors exhibition runs until November 30.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13549374,00.html

30th October 2006 10:38 AM
Jeep

Exhibition of Welsh pirate portrait based on Rolling Stone
Oct 30 2006
Paul Rowland, Western Mail

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_headline=exhibition-of-welsh-pirate-portrait-based-on-rolling-stone&method=full&objectid=18011959&siteid=50082-name_page.html

WHEN Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards posed as a Welsh pirate for a portrait 10 years ago, he probably didn't expect it to become the inspiration for a Hollywood blockbuster.

Now the painting on which the character of Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean was based is to be displayed for the first time as part of a new exhibition.

The portrait, by artist Paul Karslake, has been hanging in Richards' New York apartment for the best part of a decade, where it was spotted by Johnny Depp during a dinner party as he considered how to play the role of the maverick pirate in the original film.

In the picture, the hard-living guitarist poses as Welsh privateer Sir Henry Morgan, who also went by the name John Morgan.

Although details of the pirate's early life are sketchy, it is known his father, Robert Morgan, was born in Llanrumney, Cardiff, and it is believed Henry was also Welsh.

But the parentage of the inspiration for the painting isn't its only Welsh link, with Richards' father Bert also originating from here.

It has been well-publicised that Depp modelled the persona of Captain Jack Sparrow on Richards but this is the first time the exact picture has been made available to the public.

The 6ft oil canvas, which depicts the guitarist as a swashbuckling pirate complete with cutlass and casket of buried treasure, has been hanging in the rock star's New York home since 1998 but will now form part of Karslake's new exhibition, called Survivors, which opens today at the Artisan Gallery in London.

It was originally commissioned by Richards' wife Patti, whom he married in 1983.

"Keith's wife Patti called to ask me to paint a picture of Keith as I saw him," he said.

"Having known Keith for nearly 25 years, I knew exactly how I wanted to paint him. I used Captain John Morgan as my inspiration - with uncanny parallels.

"Keith and Captain John's parents were both Welsh and John captained the ship The Satisfaction.

"My 6ft painting of Keith was hung in his New York apartment and was seen by his dinner guest, Johnny Depp, who had recently received a script for a pirate film and was in the midst of deciphering the look and personality of the character Jack Sparrow.

"Johnny claims the picture was his inspiration."

Depp has now starred in two Pirates of the Caribbean films, with a third, called At World's End, scheduled for release in May next year. Richards is expected to make a cameo in the movie as Depp's father, Captain Grant Sparrow.

The first two films in the series, which was inspired by a ride at the Disneyland theme park, were huge box office hits around the world. In addition to Depp, they starred British actors Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.

The film will represent Richards' first foray into acting. The 62-year-old shot to fame in the 1960s as part of the Rolling Stones but is now known as much for his history of drug and alcohol abuse. He narrowly avoided a lengthy jail term in 1977 after being arrested in Canada for heroin and cocaine possession.

He returned to the headlines earlier this year when he suffered an accident while on holiday in Fiji, which led to surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain from a blood clot.

Karslake's exhibition, which runs until November 30, also features images of Twiggy, Sir Winston Churchill, John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix.
[Edited by Jeep]
30th October 2006 12:25 PM
Saint Sway saw this "Captain Keith" piece by Sebastian Kruger at the Ronnie Wood show this weekend. The guy is an amazing talent.

http://www.frontrowgallery.com/kruger/kruger_art.html?gclid=CJTd7_CnoYgCFRVpGgodpjJRPA

kinda freaked me out because my mother worshipped Keith and had a bird named "Ozzy Osbourne" that looked just like that. If she was still alive I'd definately know what her christmas present would be...

30th October 2006 10:20 PM
GotToRollMe Here's another Karslake Pirate Keef portrait:

30th October 2006 10:37 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
saw this "Captain Keith" piece by Sebastian Kruger at the Ronnie Wood show this weekend. The guy is an amazing talent.

http://www.frontrowgallery.com/kruger/kruger_art.html?gclid=CJTd7_CnoYgCFRVpGgodpjJRPA

kinda freaked me out because my mother worshipped Keith and had a bird named "Ozzy Osbourne" that looked just like that. If she was still alive I'd definately know what her christmas present would be...

Yes, Sebastian Kruger is amazing. Captain Keith:

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)