ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Halloween Everyone (never's too late to scare you all, will ya?)
Beacon Theatre, NYC - 1st November 2006
© GotToRollMe
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Reefer Appreciation thread Return to archive
28th October 2006 12:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't smoke it any more....but I appreciate it. Sadly I haven't heard much about legalization recently....even in an election year. I'm thinking about starting up again for the medicinal qualities. I've been toying with the idea for awhile.
28th October 2006 12:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels This of course is classic and everyone know about it but always good for a review, a reminder and a laugh.
---------------------------------------------------------
Reefer Madness
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This entry refers specifically to the 1936 film, Reefer Madness. For other uses of the term "Reefer Madness", see Reefer Madness, originally titled Tell Your Children, is a 1936 drama film directed by Louis Gasnier. Its cast was composed of mostly unknown bit actors. The story was written by Laurence Meade. The plot revolves around the tragic events that follow when high school students are lured by pushers to try "marihuana": a hit and run accident, manslaughter, suicide, rape, and descent into madness all ensue.

Tell Your Children was financed by a church group and intended to be shown to parents as a morality tale attempting to teach them about the dangers of cannabis use. Soon after the film was shot, however, it was purchased by notorious exploitation filmmaker Dwain Esper, who took the liberty of cutting in salacious insert shots and applying the more scandalous title of Reefer Madness, before distributing it on the exploitation circuit. [1]

Some sources have also claimed that the film was financed by Harry Anslinger's Federal Bureau of Narcotics, or even by anti-hemp interests such as DuPont or William Randolph Hearst. The claims that Reefer Madness was produced as an exploitation film, thinly veiled as an educational piece to comply with the Hays code are untrue.[citation needed] Though it is true that lesser-known films such as Esper's own Marihuana and Elmer Clifton's Assassin of Youth were/are exploitation, Reefer Madness is merely a misguided (and highly inaccurate) morality tale. Such education-exploitation films were common in the years following adoption of the Code, and the subject of cannabis was particularly popular in the hysteria surrounding Anslinger's 1937 Marihuana Tax Act.

After a brief run, the film lay forgotten for several decades. There was no concept of after market in those days, especially for films that existed outside the confines of the studio system, and were therefore considered "forbidden fruit." For this reason, neither Esper nor the original filmmakers bothered to copyright the movie, and it eventually fell into the public domain.

In 1971, Reefer Madness was discovered in the Library of Congress archives by NORML founder Keith Stroup, who bought a print for $297, and made it the darling of pot smokers and college campuses. For this modern audience the poor production values and overacting create an uproarious comedy that provides perspective on the current "War on Drugs". Stroup is also responsible for the notion that the film was originally created as a propaganda piece. Distributing Reefer Madness to college campuses of the 1970s helped bankroll the burgeoning film company New Line Cinema. In 1973, the MPAA gave the film a PG rating. Today, Reefer Madness is considered to be a cult classic, and one of the best examples of a Midnight movie. Its fans enjoy the film for the same unintentionally campy production values that made it a hit in the 1970s. The film was spoofed in a musical of the same name, which was later made into a made-for-television film in 2005.

The movie's title has also been adopted into some usage as a general catchall term for any anti-marijuana propaganda which is particularly over-the-top or fantastical.

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

Title screen of Reefer Madness.The film begins with a high school lecture. The principal, Dr. Carroll, is attempting to warn parents about the dangers of marijuana. To illustrate his point, he tells the group the story of a group of innocent teenagers whose downfall was supposedly caused by cannabis, saying that he'll give his audience "the real facts" about the case.

At an apartment owned by Mae Coleman, and Jack Perry, her lover (supposedly, the couple is "living in sin," yet they sleep in separate beds as do all married couples depicted in films of the era), the duo sells marijuana. Mae prefers to sell reefer to customers her own age, whereas Jack sells the drug to young teenagers. Ralph, a former college student turned fellow dealer (and "addict," according to the film), and Blanche help Jack sell cannabis to young students.

Young students Bill and Jimmy are invited to Mae and Jack's apartment by Blanche and Ralph. Jimmy takes Bill to the party. There, Jack runs out of reefer. Jimmy, who has a car, drives him to pick up some more. Arriving at Jack's boss's "headquarters," he gets out and Jimmy asks him for a cigarette. Jack gives him a joint. Later, when Jack comes back down and gets into the car, Jimmy drives off dangerously, along the way running over a pedestrian with his car (through the inept filmmaking skills, however, it is very clear that the man isn't actually hurt, as he jumps out of the way before the car hits him). Jack agrees to keep Jimmy's name out of the case.

Bill begins an affair with Blanche. Mary, Bill's girlfriend, goes to Mae's apartment looking for Jimmy, and accepts a joint from Ralph, thinking it to be a normal cigarette. When she refuses Ralph's advances, he tries to rape her. Bill comes out of the bedroom after having sex with Blanche, and hallucinates that Mary strips for Ralph. He attacks Ralph, and as the two are fighting, Jack tries to break it up by hitting Bill with the butt of his gun. The gun goes off, and Mary is killed (though in one of the camera shots taking place before it is revealed that Mary has been "shot in the back," the gun is aimed at the floor, one of the film's most revealing mistakes).

Jack puts the gun in the hand of an unconscious Bill, and wakes him up. Bill sees the gun in his hand, and is led to believe that he has killed Mary. Bill is sent to prison. The group of dealers hide low for a while in Blanche's apartment while Bill's trial takes place. Ralph, losing his sanity, wants to tell the police who is actually responsible for the death of Mary. Though the film attributes Ralph's insanity to marijuana use, it is far more likely that he is losing his sanity through feelings of guilt.

Seeking advice from his boss, Jack is told to shoot Ralph so he keeps his mouth shut. Meanwhile, at the apartment, Blanche offers to play some piano music for Ralph to keep his mind off things. They are both very high, and Ralph tells her to play faster. She increases her playing speed to a downright cartoon-like speed in one of the film's most famous and over the top sequences.

Jack shows up and Ralph immediately senses that Jack wants to kill him, so he kills Jack by beating him to death (with an object that is clearly no heavier than a plant leaf). The police arrest Ralph, Mae and Blanche. Mae talks, and the criminal gang is rounded up. Blanche explains that Bill was innocent, and he is released. Blanche is then held as a material witness for the case against Ralph, but rather than testify against him Blanche jumps out a window and falls to her death (a notable goof is that the window is clearly a painting in one shot, and when you see Blanche's dead body on the steps of the building, it is clearly a mannequin) and Ralph is put in an asylum for the criminally insane "for the rest of his natural life".

The movie ends with Dr. Carrol warning the parents he has been talking to that this scenario is likely to happen again, and then points to random parents in the audience and warns that "the next tragedy may be that of your daughter's... or your son's... or yours, or yours..." before pointing straight at the camera and saying emphatically "...or YOURS!" as the words "TELL YOUR CHILDREN" flash on the screen.

28th October 2006 12:45 PM
Honky Tonk Man What kind of weed did you smoke? Here in England everyone seems to smoke skunk. It's revolting and after a couple of drags I'm usually away. The stuff is that strong. I used to smoke a bit when I was at school, but it was only the solid stuff and it'd usually just give me a headache.
28th October 2006 12:56 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
What kind of weed did you smoke?

Only the good stuff.....Panama Red, Columbian Gold, Thai Stick etc.
28th October 2006 01:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just kidding....theres only two kinds of weed, good and bad. Brand names don't really mean anything. But I haven't smoked for years so I'm out of the loop. The first bag of weed I ever smoked was from Vietnam (I don't know what they called it...it just grew there I guess) that one of our local soldier boy friends of mine brought home....1968 or so.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
28th October 2006 01:09 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Just kidding....theres only two kinds of weed, good and bad. Brand names don't really mean anything. But I haven't smoked for years so I'm out of the loop. The first bag of weed I ever smoked was from Vietnam (I don't know what they called it...it just grew there I guess) that one of our local soldier boy friends of mine brought home....1968 or so.

Well, the solid stuff has less of an effect I've found. I get so paranoid when smoking skunk. I've really scared myself at times. The first time I ever smoked was once at school and whilist one minute I'm fine, the next I'm lying on the ground thinking I'm going to die. I've never had such a bad experience since, but its rarely good for me. If anything, it's always just a little strange. Short walks for instance, can take hours.
28th October 2006 01:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >Well, the solid stuff has less of an effect I've found. I get so paranoid when smoking skunk<

Maybe they mix it with something.
Or maybe they don't.

One of the reasons I quit was because it was starting to make me paranoid. Paranoid, not in the cocaine sense of the word though, just uncomfortable.
28th October 2006 01:27 PM
mojoman
quote:
I don't smoke it any more....but I appreciate it. Sadly I haven't heard much about legalization recently....even in an election year. I'm thinking about starting up again for the medicinal qualities. I've been toying with the idea for awhile.

i believe there is a ballot iniative in nevada again this year

28th October 2006 01:31 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:

Or maybe they don't.

One of the reasons I quit was because it was starting to make me paranoid. Paranoid, not in the cocaine sense of the word though, just uncomfortable.

I don't know what hey do with it to even get it into a block form in the first place. It's definitely not as strong though. I have'nt smoked it like that for years and I have'nt had a puff for about 5 months. I don't think its any coinsidence that every time I do so Im a little worse for wear drink wise!
28th October 2006 01:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't think the Brits ever really had good pot....for cheap. We did here in America....but only for a very small window in time.
28th October 2006 01:46 PM
StarvinMarvin Weed? Yes please. I smoke it in small amounts twice per week. I've never had any ill effects from it, apart from ocassionally feeling a bit tired the next day.
28th October 2006 01:50 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
I don't think the Brits ever really had good pot....for cheap. We did here in America....but only for a very small window in time.

Yeah, we're lucky here in Canada. The weed is cheap, plentiful, and the "powers that be" have a very tolerant veiw of it. For exanple, people smoke it openly on the street while cops walk by, and nothing is said. In other words, you need not worry about getting busted unless you are selling it, or growing it in large quantities.
28th October 2006 04:42 PM
MrPleasant Hey, if you're stoned you might appreciate the following:

ANTHEM OF THE SUN (GRATEFUL DEAD)
AFTER BATHING AT BAXTER'S (JEFFERSON AIRPLANE)
I-FEEL-LIKE-I'M-FIXIN'-TO-DIE (COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH)

And... RENALDO AND CLARA?

What about RICHARD SIMMONS!!? "The guy's hypnotic, man... you watch him for about five minutes, then you go 'FUCK! I'm watching Richard Simmons! Who the fuck let me watch him?!'" (Sam Kinison).

More from Kinison:

"They've taken the pot, there is no more pot. You can't get any more pot. If you give us back the pot, we'll forget the crack."
28th October 2006 05:11 PM
UGot2Rollme weed is good, in moderation.

In fact, everything is good in moderation, including moderation.
28th October 2006 07:17 PM
mojoman
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Hey, if you're stoned you might appreciate the following:

ANTHEM OF THE SUN (GRATEFUL DEAD)
AFTER BATHING AT BAXTER'S (JEFFERSON AIRPLANE)
I-FEEL-LIKE-I'M-FIXIN'-TO-DIE (COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH)

And... RENALDO AND CLARA?

What about RICHARD SIMMONS!!? "The guy's hypnotic, man... you watch him for about five minutes, then you go 'FUCK! I'm watching Richard Simmons! Who the fuck let me watch him?!'" (Sam Kinison).

More from Kinison:

"They've taken the pot, there is no more pot. You can't get any more pot. If you give us back the pot, we'll forget the crack."

anthem and baxters two of the greatest psyche albums ever made.
28th October 2006 07:47 PM
Bloozehound after smokin a big duber quaff down a bucket of chips and habenero salsa, but be sure to have some liquid close by cause its gonna be a barn burner
28th October 2006 10:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Doonesbury:
Mr. Butts vs. Mr. Jay, January 2002

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kubby.com/Cartoons/MrButtVSMrJay.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.kubby.com/Cartoons/cartoons-doonesbury4.html&h=786&w=600&sz=131&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=4XwFCSB9jTFKOM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMr%2BButts%2BMr%2BJay%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

29th October 2006 01:49 AM
Jakeb206 Yes, I do every now and then.
I must say I usually get shit now. I am not satisfied unless i get some hydro or fire.
29th October 2006 08:51 AM
Bitch Weed is my mood enhancer of choice. Always available in NY 24/7, you dont even have to get out of your car, the dealers come up to you when you flash your cash. But I dont buy it that way anymore, lol, much too risky, not from the cops but from the boys in the hood. They have protection, and I'm not talking about condoms, they have guns watching over them. So you can get shot at if you try to pull some shit. These same people deal crack too, so it can get crazy and dangerous. My connection looks like a suburban housewife, a very common looking person, and although I pay a little more for it, theres no worries. One gots to be careful!

I had a really hard time locating some smoke in London, until I got to the Cabbage Patch. I spotted some guy's lighter with a pot leaf on it. I asked to smoke or buy some. He was very kind a gave me a nice size chunk of blond hash for free. I havent had that type of smoke in 20 years and it was sweet! It lasted me the week and I never did get his name, but if he's reading this, THANKS, man!

This bud's for you!

29th October 2006 12:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
29th October 2006 12:27 PM
Dan
quote:
>Well, the solid stuff has less of an effect I've found. I get so paranoid when smoking skunk<

Or maybe they don't.

Same here more and more as I get older. But if I simultaneously drink a lot then everything is okay.
29th October 2006 12:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
29th October 2006 02:11 PM
egon Crack is the way to go.
30th October 2006 10:37 AM
Bitch Crack is the way to go broke and rot your brain!
Egon when are you going to change your uglyass signature pic???? Are you high on crack???
Requesting again, uglyass dog pic, please remove!!
30th October 2006 10:45 AM
egon why do you hate baby jesus so much.
Step into the light, let the love embrace you.
And let's smoke some crack!
30th October 2006 03:56 PM
Saint Sway FREE THE WEED

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)