ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Pauline!
Thanks thejuf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Calgary AB-- Pengrowth Saddledome Oct 28th setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
October 28th, 2005 09:36 PM
pdog Let It ROCK!
October 28th, 2005 10:34 PM
LadyJane What time is it in Calgary???

7:30??????????

LJ.
October 28th, 2005 10:37 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
What time is it in Calgary???

7:30??????????

LJ.

They're MDT...9:38 your/my time.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
October 28th, 2005 11:00 PM
deuce Let's get the ball rolling...
October 28th, 2005 11:11 PM
PartyDoll MEG The eyelids are pretty heavy tonight, but I will try to hang tough guys!! Any time now.....
October 29th, 2005 12:07 AM
pdog Now that the tour has moved to the left, I'll be posting alone!
I thought speed use was coming back, but I guess the statistics are lies!
October 29th, 2005 12:24 AM
PartyDoll MEG Should have had a post on Shidoobee by now. Calls must not be getting through. It's just you now, pdog. My bed is calling..... I tried
October 29th, 2005 12:40 AM
time is on my side From our friends at Shidoobee:

This was posted on RS virtual ticket

Date: Oct 28, 2005

Set List

1. Start Me Up
2. You Got me Rocking
3. She's So Cold
4. Tumblin' Dice
5. Rough Justice
6. Wild Horses
7. Rain Fall Down
8. All Down The Line
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
10. The Worst
11. Infamy
12. Miss You
13. Oh No Not You Again
14. Get Off My Cloud
15. Honky Tonk Woman
16. Sympathy
17. Paint It Black
18. Brown Sugar
19. JJ Flash
20. Can't Always Get What You Want
21. Satisfaction

A little disappointing in that after taking a week off nothing new was added to the setlist if this is in fact the correct setlist.

[Edited by time is on my side]
October 29th, 2005 01:05 AM
pdog Excluding or including Keiths set, is this the least amount of new songs they've ever played live? 4 tops a night!!!
During Voodoo weren't they doing at least 5 from that album?
October 29th, 2005 02:40 AM
marko I think,they donīt rehearse during breaks,they REST.Theres
rain fall down,all down the line,shes so cold,wild horses,
iīm very fine with these.Besides its BACK to 21 songs.
I only actually miss Out of control.
October 29th, 2005 03:57 AM
UGot2Rollme review courtesy of jam.canoe.ca:

Stones roll into Calgary with a Bang

Fans can't always get what they want ... but they sure did last night

By MIKE BELL - Calgary Sun

CALGARY - Over the course of the Saddledome's 25-year history, the list of rock giants who've graced its stage has been impressive.

Especially in the past several years.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Roxy Music, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, David Bowie, U2 - it's an impressive roster of legends.

But you know what?

As good as they were, as memorable the shows were in their own right, and as great as they were to file away into the "seen them" bank - they were merely warmup acts.

Ultimately, they were little more than a prelude to last night's sold-out 'Dome show by the "World's Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band."

I mean, seeing all of those other acts, seeing those larger-than- life historical music figures such as Bono, His Bobness and The Thin White Duke in the flesh pales in comparison to the moment Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts and whatever friends they brought with them, walk onto your hometown arena stage and kick into the classic Start Me Up.

Four decades after they began, they are undoubtedly it - they are the holy grail of classic rockers.

And last night, they made the discovery - or, as the retro shirts and greying audience might have suggested, re-discovery - worth the wait.

And, even more than that, they made it less about history past than history in its immediate form.

Sure, as they have for the entire current (and last?) tour, the British icons brought with them a healthy supply of material that tweaks the memory banks in all the right ways - tracks such as She's So Cold, Wild Horses and even the superb, swinging cover of Ray Charles' Night Time (Is the Right Time) are mainstays on any station that makes its money from nostalgia.

But The Stones also came armed with some tracks from their latest release A Bigger Bang - such as the lead-off cut Rough Justice - an album that's far better than it has every right to be.

And more than that, they came armed with a stage show, and individual stage presences, that were less caricatures than they were in-the-moment rock performances that you could believe and buy into.

Of course, everyone has seen images of frontman Jagger primping, posing and strutting - on this night, in a red, glittery, lip-logo blazer that was eventually reduced to matching black T-shirt and pants - as well as Richards casually rocking in his unkempt ahoy-matey ensemble with cigarette-dangling from his leathered maw.

But last night, as they did when they kicked the show off in Boston this past August, they put so much real energy and enthusiasm into it, it was impossible to view it as merely a repeat of the multitude of shows gone by.

Their interaction with one another, their interaction with the people who've grown up with the band as the soundtrack to their lives, was as genuine and natural as you could hope from any act twice as young - including Jagger's brief donning of the ubiquitous Calgary white hat.

As for the stage - or rather stages - it was a simple, understated variation on the outdoor Fenway setup, with its massive four-storey backdrop.

Here, in the comfy, cosy confines of a 17,000-seat arena, the main stage, with a massive video-screen backdrop was rather bare, with a catwalk and an aisle leading to two narrow stages on the other end of the 'Dome.

They used both to amazing effect, making the evening as personal and intimate as any other of the hundreds of thousands of acts who have come before.

But it wasn't any of those acts.

It was The Stones.

Finally.

As for the real openers for The Stones, 54*40, the veteran Canadian rock act acquitted itself quite well in front of a slowly filling up Saddledome bowl.

[Edited by UGot2Rollme]
October 29th, 2005 11:25 AM
montana i bought the online edition of calgary herald...if anyone wants to take a look at the pix...here they are

http://com4.runboard.com/bjumpontop...our20052006.t57

this is one of them

October 29th, 2005 11:28 AM
LadyJane Thanks Lour!!!

May I post some of these great pics in Superblow.

Mick looks so hot in red, no????

Glad I didn't stay up for the setlist....looks like there were more problems with cell phones.

LJ.
October 29th, 2005 11:40 AM
mac_daddy this one is great:

thanks for posting.
October 29th, 2005 03:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Lour, very kind for sharing those pix you bought

BTW since I was not the only one off-line from the trinity as the thead was not sticky

October 29th, 2005 04:42 PM
LadyJane This HAS to be one of the greatest reviews I have EVER read!!!

Saddledome, Calgary - October 28, 2005
Fans can't always get what they want ... but they sure did last night

CALGARY - Over the course of the Saddledome's 25-year history, the list of rock giants who've graced its stage has been impressive.

Especially in the past several years.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Roxy Music, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, David Bowie, U2 - it's an impressive roster of legends.

But you know what?

As good as they were, as memorable the shows were in their own right, and as great as they were to file away into the "seen them" bank - they were merely warmup acts.

Ultimately, they were little more than a prelude to last night's sold-out 'Dome show by the "World's Greatest Rock 'N' Roll Band."

I mean, seeing all of those other acts, seeing those larger-than- life historical music figures such as Bono, His Bobness and The Thin White Duke in the flesh pales in comparison to the moment Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts and whatever friends they brought with them, walk onto your hometown arena stage and kick into the classic Start Me Up.

Four decades after they began, they are undoubtedly it - they are the holy grail of classic rockers.

And last night, they made the discovery - or, as the retro shirts and greying audience might have suggested, re-discovery - worth the wait.

And, even more than that, they made it less about history past than history in its immediate form.

Sure, as they have for the entire current (and last?) tour, the British icons brought with them a healthy supply of material that tweaks the memory banks in all the right ways - tracks such as She's So Cold, Wild Horses and even the superb, swinging cover of Ray Charles' Night Time (Is the Right Time) are mainstays on any station that makes its money from nostalgia.

But The Stones also came armed with some tracks from their latest release A Bigger Bang - such as the lead-off cut Rough Justice - an album that's far better than it has every right to be.

And more than that, they came armed with a stage show, and individual stage presences, that were less caricatures than they were in-the-moment rock performances that you could believe and buy into.

Of course, everyone has seen images of frontman Jagger primping, posing and strutting - on this night, in a red, glittery, lip-logo blazer that was eventually reduced to matching black T-shirt and pants - as well as Richards casually rocking in his unkempt ahoy-matey ensemble with cigarette-dangling from his leathered maw.

But last night, as they did when they kicked the show off in Boston this past August, they put so much real energy and enthusiasm into it, it was impossible to view it as merely a repeat of the multitude of shows gone by.

Their interaction with one another, their interaction with the people who've grown up with the band as the soundtrack to their lives, was as genuine and natural as you could hope from any act twice as young - including Jagger's brief donning of the ubiquitous Calgary white hat.

As for the stage - or rather stages - it was a simple, understated variation on the outdoor Fenway setup, with its massive four-storey backdrop.

Here, in the comfy, cosy confines of a 17,000-seat arena, the main stage, with a massive video-screen backdrop was rather bare, with a catwalk and an aisle leading to two narrow stages on the other end of the 'Dome.

They used both to amazing effect, making the evening as personal and intimate as any other of the hundreds of thousands of acts who have come before.

But it wasn't any of those acts.

It was The Stones.

Finally.

This guy obviously "gets it!!""

LJ.
October 29th, 2005 05:50 PM
SweetVirginia
That guy Mike Bell really loves the Stones. He
had a six-part history of the band running last
week that I read online. It was great. I think you
can still read them online at calgarysun.com.

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
[Edited by SweetVirginia]
October 30th, 2005 07:34 AM
corgi37 That review filled me with such pride. I am stoked that i love this band.
October 30th, 2005 07:50 AM
JumpinJackFlash

Just got back from Calgary, here's a pic from 19th nervous breakdown. Got us to take a picture with his painting. The show was great, 14,000 people. Went to the Hyatt Hotel afterwords, got autographs with Blondie, Tim and Bernard on our ticket stubs. Had a smoke outside the place with Blondie, he was cold from the Calgary wind, said he couldn't wait till the California leg of the tour. Talked with Bernard for awhile, he was reminicing he's been with the Stones for 20 years this month now. The whole night felt like the "Like a Rolling Stone" video, seeing the Stons, then hanging out with the back up band after the show. Great stuff. Then myself and my lady made it on CBC news. Good Stuff.
[Edited by JumpinJackFlash]
October 30th, 2005 07:57 AM
erikjjf Bigger Bang echoing still

First Rolling Stones concert leaves lasting impression on Cowtown

Stones roll into Calgary with a Bang

Now that the dust has settled, now that Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie are off to the next town, in order to plunder all of that rich Boomer booty -- garrr! -- it's time to put it all in perspective.

Yes, for the past week you've been inundated with Stones, Stones, Stones -- history, tidbits, trivia, grooming habits, childhood illnesses, memorable bowel movements, etc. -- but that's inevitable any time you have to fill some column space and the central players in the circus ain't talkin'.

Nor should they, really -- after four decades, what's left for them to say?

And what really is left for us to say? Well, we can start by reiterating how good of a show the band is putting on during its current A Bigger Bang Tour.

Having seen them only Friday night and during the tour kick-off in Boston, it's difficult to understand why anyone would question their abilities and viability as entertainers 40 years into their run.

They weren't excellent for their age, they were excellent, period.

Musically, the songs they played still had incredible life to them, especially killer versions of Honky Tonk Women, Paint It Black and Brown Sugar.

And even songs from the new album showed how alive an act they really are -- should they stick around for a couple more tours, chances are at least one or two of them will remain a part of their set.

Ultimately, while there may be some people glad it's all over so we can move on, there are 17,000 fans thankful they were a part of a pretty incredible evening.

And just as many who wish we could do it all again.

Credit where credit is due.

A couple of months ago in this very space, I brought up Mayor Bronconnier's need to scratch his white hat jones just a little too often.

This came after The Foo Fighters rolled through town and were promptly Stetsoned -- no, I'm not sure if technically it is an actual Stetson, nor do I care so please save your e-mails for something important, such as a screw-up with the Wuzzles page or something -- for being, well, um, The Foo Fighters, I guess.

Cool band, but, to paraphrase Elaine Benes, were they really hat worthy?

After apparently having solved all of the city's woes and with no other pressing business at hand, the office of his worship took exception and took the time to call the Sun and raise those concerns. (I should point out they were extremely nice in raising their objections, although, oddly, all potholes on the street in front of my house have remained unfilled, and I've been without heat, water and electricity since that call.)

Anyhoo, at the time Marc Henry, the mayor's chief-of-staff, did note they were working on the grandaddy of all rock band white hattings -- The Stones.

Fair enough, said I -- if any group is worthy of an official welcome by the Bronco bunch, Mick and the boys would definitely qualify.

Should you accomplish that feat, promised I, kudos will be offered in the same space you were the subject of slight mockery -- or smockery.

As Sun readers undoubtedly saw in yesterday's paper, and as fans who took in the show can confirm, the mayor did, indeed, do the deed and the band left town with a souvenir of our hospitality.

Again, credit where credit is due: A hearty and heartfelt congratulations. Mr. Bronconnier and Mr. Henry, on doing our fair city proud with a truly deserved white-hat welcome.

Now, how about you flick that switch and restore my heat -- the temperature's dipping and I can no longer feel my lower extremities.

When The Stones show was officially announced, I hedged my bet on whether or not it was the first time they'd been to town.

The reason being a book on the Jubilee Auditorium had the band listed as having played the venue in 1975. Nobody at the Jube could confirm where the information came from, and subsequently everyone -- fans, music industry insiders from back then and, finally, The Stones themselves -- refuted that claim. So, yes, it was the first time. Let's hope it won't be the last.

One other thing confirmed by Friday's concert? Calgarians, on a whole, are the most rhythmically challenged beings on the planet.

And finally, if you have to ask the question "Am I too old to rock?" you're officially too old to rock.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/10/29/1284477.html
October 30th, 2005 12:02 PM
CS Not much about the show but...

Stones boot the Hitmen
By CAMERON MAXWELL -- Calgary Sun

Thanks to last night's Rolling Stones concert, the Calgary Hitmen had to pack up and move shop yesterday.

In fact, none of the Hitmen players or coaches were allowed downstairs at the Saddledome because of strict Stones' security measures, so the club practised at Centennial Arenas ahead of tonight's contest against Moose Jaw (Saddledome, 7 p.m.).

That was bad news for Hitmen assistant coach Dave Lowry, a huge Rolling Stones fan, who had zero chance of getting a stick autographed by Mick Jagger or Keith Richards thanks to the security lockdown.

"That's why I was going to sleep in the office Thursday night, so I wouldn't have to sneak in. I'd already be in there," said Lowry, who has seen the Stones twice, with a laugh.

"I love them but I've got to go to my kid's hockey game. Priorities, right? But I might sneak in later and try to catch the encore."

As for the Hitmen players, the Stones rolling into town is more of an inconvenience than anything else.

They lugged their equipment to the rink yesterday and have to haul it back to the Saddledome today before the game, as well as do their own laundry.

Centreman Ryan White said his billets didn't appreciate that too much.

"We had to take everything home and my billets weren't too happy. The downstairs didn't smell too good Thursday night," said White, 17, who has 11 points in 14 games.

Like many of his teammates, White doesn't listen to the Rolling Stones. Classic tracks like Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice and Heartbreaker have yet to find their way onto his car stereo or MP3 player.

"I think I'd know a Stones song if I heard one but I can't name any off the top of my head," said White, a country fan.

Even a vet like Darryl Moscaluk -- DJ Mosc -- to his teammates, is at a bit of a loss when it comes to rock and roll's original bad boys.

"I like that Paint it Black, or whatever it's called. We don't have any Stones music that we listen to but we're new-age kids and they're old," said the 20-year-old.

Riley Merkley is a big music fan and fared a little better when it comes to basic Stones trivia.

"I know Keith Richards is in the band," said Merkley, when asked to name a band member and a song. "A Rolling Stones song? That stuff's too old for me, man. What about that one about the Devil?"
October 30th, 2005 08:00 PM
corgi37 Perfect example of why young people should be culled and turned into Soylent Green.
October 30th, 2005 08:45 PM
Prodigal Son I live in Calgary but unfortunately couldn't get a hold of any tickets. Plus I attend university in Lethbridge. So it really sucks I couldn't see the Stones. I used to work at the Saddledome. Had they come 2 years ago I would've worked the concert (albeit with minimum attention span) and at least heard a free show. Damn.....
October 30th, 2005 09:17 PM
commedimus Well... Unfortunately, I may take a bit of flack.... But I was kind of disappointed with the setlist. The band performed well etc, but I had a bit of trouble getting into some of the songs. I reviewed some of the setlists from the Licks tour and I feel this tour pales in comparison... setlist wise. It was the last tour that really motivated me to want to go to this tour. At least I can say that I have gone to the only Calgary show ever performed (at least until they tour again).
October 31st, 2005 08:42 AM
Lil Brian Love the one with them wearing cowboy hats. That's funny!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)