ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Pauline!
Thanks thejuf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, NC - October 21 setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 22nd, 2005 01:30 AM
pdog
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
one song is missing from setlist--will have shortly

JJF & Brown Sugar, now way they'd leave them out! That would be anti-climatic.
Is something wrong?
October 22nd, 2005 04:26 AM
Jeep From the Charlotte Observer :

Stones bring more than satisfaction to arena fans
COURTNEY DEVORES
Special to the Observer
Posted on Sat, Oct. 22, 2005

The Rolling Stones ignited an anxious, sold-out crowd Friday night at the new Charlotte Bobcats Arena with the predictable, yet fitting, "Start Me Up."

After a short set by gracious young English soul singer Joss Stone, the audience, which included many fans who paid as much as $350 per ticket, went wild as drummer Charlie Watts hit the first beat. A rugged Keith Richards appeared in a blue satin shirt, picking his guitar, followed by rhythm guitarist Ron Wood and fitful frontman Mick Jagger. It was a surreal moment for anyone who had only seen the Stones on television.

Three of them may be in their 60s (Wood is 58 ), but age was evident only on their weathered faces during the nearly two-hour set. The core four, especially Wood and tireless frontman Jagger, looked like lanky twenty-somethings from the neck down. Wood, wearing a fitted green and pink striped CBGB's T-shirt, could double in one of today's many skinny garage rock bands. Jagger, wearing an array of shiny shirts and jackets, was ever the energetic, writhing star.

Jagger shimmied across the stage as the group ran through "Shattered" and "Tumbling Dice." The crowd, crammed onto the floor of the new arena, had little room to dance, but they bopped in place, clapped and sang along while a few perched on top of their seats for a better view, sheepishly grinning to themselves as if floored by the presence of the legendary group. While most of the crowd looked to have listened to the Stones in high school, some appeared to be in their teens or 20s.

Music in the arena was loud, but not ear-piercing. The quieter "Ruby Tuesday" showcased the acoustics of the new venue. Jagger's vocals were at the forefront, with Richards singing backup. Even soft piano trills were audible.

An early highlight was a tribute to Ray Charles, "(Night Time is) the Right Time." The band's female backup singer, whose booming voice stole the song, shared center stage with Jagger as Richards sat smoking on the drum riser with Wood. Watts, ever the dependable time keeper, simply grinned knowingly in the background.

"You really didn't have to build a new one for us," Richards, in a sequined jacket with his black hollow-bodied guitar slung haphazardly over his shoulder, said of the new arena while taking over lead vocals on two songs.

Later, Jagger, dressed in a tie-dyed red T-shirt and a metallic silver Members Only-like jacket, returned to the stage playing guitar on "I Miss You." Expensive stage tricks kicked in at this point, giving listeners at the back of the arena a better view, with band, including keyboard and bass players, riding the center section of the stage on a track across the arena. They stayed there for the new single "Rough Justice," a track true to their blues rock legacy, and crowd pleaser "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll."

The vibrant crowd appeared familiar with material from new album "A Bigger Bang," which recently peaked at No. 3, as well as the old favorites like "Brown Sugar." And outside the arena, uptown was buzzing long after the Stones left the stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock and a new place
Rolling Stones christen uptown arena
TONYA JAMESON
Posted on Sat, Oct. 22, 2005

The lights went out one section at a time inside Charlotte Bobcats Arena, and the thousands of fans let out a roar that George Shinn could've heard in Oklahoma City.

Four years after voters rejected a deal for an uptown arena for Shinn's Charlotte Hornets and other projects, at least 16,000 people spent Friday night listening, screaming and watching the Rolling Stones christen another Charlotte sports facility. No matter how you felt about the Stones or the arena, if you were at the concert you knew you were part of something unforgettable.

It was one of those nights people will talk about for years to come.

Mick Jagger told fans he was proud to help open the arena, and Carolinians were proud to have the band.

"It's wonderful," said David Munday, 46 of Taylorsville. "The Stones -- you can't beat 'em. They're the greatest rock 'n' roll band."

Arms stretched to the ceiling, fists pumped in the air and throats were screamed hoarse as Jagger kicked the show off with "Start Me Up." The Stones move a little slower, but the crowd had enough energy to compensate for the veteran rockers. Jagger stalked across the stage; Ron Wood and Keith Richards were slightly less mobile, but they still ripped their solos.

Initially, I was bummed U2 wasn't the first act to perform at the arena, but after seeing the Stones on Friday, I realized they were a perfect fit. The band's hard-charging, beer-toasting, scream-'til-you-cry rock was just right on opening night. It was feel-good music with fist-in-the-air attitude for an arena that was built on time and within budget.

The $265 million arena is the centerpiece of city leaders' plans to make uptown a vibrant destination 24-7. (The Bobcats' first home game is Nov. 5. The next concert is Elton John on Nov. 12.)

On Friday, uptown actually felt like a tourist and cultural district. Along with the Stones concert, author Chris Bohjalian spoke at ImaginOn as part of Novello. At Spirit Square, the Reduced Shakespeare Co. gave the first of two weekend performances of "All the Great Books (Abridged)."

Most hotels were sold out. The Hilton Center City reported that out-of-town guests here for the concert had booked 120 of their 407 rooms, according to Moira Quinn of Charlotte Center City Partners. Restaurants Blue, Sonoma, City Tavern, Capital Grille and McCormick & Schmick's were booked from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Quinn wrote in an e-mail. Most of those restaurants usually don't get cranking on Fridays until after 7:30 p.m.

With the Stones in town though, uptown was alive by 5 p.m. with pre-concert activity on the arena's plaza. Television and newspaper cameras crowded around fans who stood in line on the red carpet. Television news trucks lined Trade Street. Vendors hawked T-shirts and keepsake ticket holders. Jane Mayberry, 54, of Edenton, was one of several hundred people anxious to get inside. She danced in place as she stood in line and let out a loud "Woooo!" when the doors finally opened.

Tailgaters filled parking lots around the arena. Pockets of people threw open SUV hatches, set up chairs and sipped wine and beer and munched on finger foods.

This is the second time the Stones were the first rock act to christen a Charlotte sports facility. In 1997, the veteran rockers performed at then-Ericsson Stadium. Nearly 55,000 people danced and sang along to the rockers.

Friday's show was just as successful, but it was even more special. By the time the Stones performed in the Carolina Panthers' stadium, the team had already played there, so the stadium wasn't brand spanking new. Friday's Stones concert (with young British soul singer Joss Stone as the opening act) was the first event in the Bobcats' arena, and some of the city's biggest names turned out to celebrate.

Victor "Chili Man" Werany voted against an uptown arena in 2001. Standing behind his hot dog cart on Trade Street, he swore to never set foot inside the arena.

"I'll stand here and sell hot dogs," he said. "The voters said no, and it got built anyway. It was our taxpayers' money that could've gone to roads, could have gone to schools. Could have gone anywhere."

Watching Stones fans gawk at the escalator that rose into the air like the fabled beanstalk, and wander around the concrete concourses like kids exploring a new house made it seem like money well spent.

Charlottean John Tosco, 47, was one of the gawkers.

"Energy," he said. "You could feel it coming in -- the buzz."

It's impossible to deny the electricity that the Panthers' Bank of America Stadium generates uptown on gameday. That same electricity coursed through the area Friday.

The Stones were in town, and the city with big dreams and a can-do attitude added another jewel to its crown.
October 22nd, 2005 09:30 AM
corgi37 They might be the most war horsed songs in history, but i'd be bummed if i saw them and they left out Flash and Sugar. I mean, you just cant!

If i couldnt do my "yeah, yeah, yeah - WOO!", i'd feel cheated.

And, JJF is, well, its Mick's song!

Pray tell, maybe they are bored with America? Maybe they are just coasting along, waiting for the nice weather, nice booze, and nice babes here in Oz?
October 22nd, 2005 09:57 AM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
deuce wrote:
And, look at the setlist...probably the worst of the tour so far. Hoping for better tonight...

I know what you mean...this song selection is crap compared to the last 20 shows...I mean...switching Oh No Not You Agian... & Rough Justice...HOW DARE THEY?!?

PUH-LEEZ...how is this setlist diferent than any other one on this tour...sure...they pull out a Sway...Out of Control, or Sweet VA...but the other 95% is exactly the same...
October 22nd, 2005 11:38 AM
Jeep Pictures Charlotte Observer :

October 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM
LadyJane Updated setlist.....

1- Start Me Up
2- You Got Me Rockin
3- Shattered
4- Tumbling Dice
5- Oh No Not You Again
6- Ruby Tuesday
7- All Down the Line
8- Nighttime is the right time
INtros
9- The Worst
10- Infamy
11- Miss You
12- Rough Justice
13- IORR
14- Honky Tonk Women
15- Sympathy for the Devil
16- Paint It. Black
17 Brown Sugar
18- Jumping Jack Flash
Encore
19- YCAGWYW
20- Satisfaction

LJ.
October 22nd, 2005 12:15 PM
marko They did 19 or 20 songs in No Security tour,and noone
complained.Not much anyways?
October 22nd, 2005 02:24 PM
charlotte

Great show / Great crowd...
jb and son was on the 2 or 3 row on Ronnie's side and did us proud-he rocked-jb wiped out about a dozen people trying to get Mick's empty bottle water he kicked to them

could have used one or two more from ABB...

The Stones did Charlotte proud and Charlotte did the same, the boys had a GREAT time on stage, Mick put on a show for a gorgeous blond on the first row on Keith's side toward the end...came back smiling and laughing with Charlie, Keith had a huge bra caught in his guitar-he was startled at first...it was a wild night for everyone!! long after the show...

[Edited by charlotte]
October 22nd, 2005 03:08 PM
time is on my side Great concert!!!! Just got back into town and really had a blast in Charlotte!!! Everyone was partying there and I forgot how many rum and cokes I had over at Phils (got there about 7:00 & completely missed the opening act). Stumbled my way over to the new arena a little before 9:00.

The new arena they got is really beautiful from the outside. Quite impressive.

The concert was great and thought the STONES seemed like they were having a lot of fun. Had an incredible seat for the B Stage (they were directly in front of me). The performance itself was fantastic (great to see Shattered, Ruby Tuesday, and All Down The Line included in the setlist). Another awesome version of Paint It Black. I'll admit that I felt a little shortchanged when they bypassed one of the ABB songs (I was really hoping for BOMH) and played only 20 songs.

Overall, the two shows I saw (Atlanta and Charlotte) were both great even though, despite a few changes here and there, they are pretty much playing the same show. I was quite pleased with the shows I saw.

Regrets- after seeing two arena shows, I would like to see a stadium show & not seeing either BOMH, Midnight Rambler, Sway, Sweet Virginia, and, of course Rocks Off performed live on this tour.

[Edited by time is on my side]
October 22nd, 2005 06:50 PM
tumbled Hey !!

if I'm not mistaken, from my 6 shows, its been like this:

11)Miss You heading out on a mobile b-stage toward the b-stage finishing up this song on the b-stage
12- Rough Justice
13- IORR
14- Honky Tonk Women - heading mobilly backto the main stage.

oh and hey sitting at the national gallery of art cafe in the garden, sipping white wine, I hear Paint it black
in jazz form. phenomenal! it just doesn't Ever Stop.
October 22nd, 2005 07:52 PM
glencar I'd love to see RJ on the B-stage. I thought this show was tonight & got all ready for a posting party. Oh well...
October 23rd, 2005 10:12 AM
charlotte glencar, should have made it down, any RO'ers had a place to stay...it was a wild time...Jo Wood came out before the show to take a peek of the rowdiness and Ronnie with his red jacket was walking around behind the curtain, laughing and joking around, Charlie came out to take a seat at his drums smiling from ear to ear pointing to his ears!! and then all hell broke lose...
October 23rd, 2005 10:18 AM
LadyJane charlotte...kindly identify those besides yourself in that great pic from the show.

LJ.
October 23rd, 2005 10:23 AM
charlotte Hi LJ, my son and wife...
October 23rd, 2005 10:28 AM
LadyJane Thought so........lovely family.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Tell me......DID Josh get the water bottle????? I gots to know.

LJ.
October 23rd, 2005 10:44 AM
charlotte nope, but he did help eveyone back up smiling from ear to ear..
October 23rd, 2005 03:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Rolling Stones rock new arena
Updated: 10/22/2005 12:34 PM
By: Jason Bronis, News 14 Carolina

The Rolling Stones ushered in a new era Friday when they became the first act at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After two years of waiting, the new $265 million state of the art Charlotte Bobcats Arena is open for business.

The Rolling Stones rocked the house Friday night for the facility?s grand opening. Hours before the doors opened, however, talk was less about the new high-tech arena and more about the old high-octane rockers.

?I went to see them when I was 23, I can come and see them when I?m 53,? said Rex Riley, a die-hard Stones fan attending his third concert this year.

[Rolling Stones fans showed off their gear before the concert.]

Riley even has ?Stones? on his license plate.

?They just offer so much more experience, you know, and I think they feel privileged to play in front of us and I feel privileged to be in the audience,? he said.

Whitney Chenoweth was also feeling pretty privileged Friday night. Her ticket was a surprise from her father, Bob.

?He told me when I was with my friends at school so of course I was all excited, and my friends are fans of the Rolling Stones too so they were a little jealous which was cool,? she said.

The Chenoweths got to be among the first inside the new arena, which was cool too.

?I?ve just gone to the Web site and looked at all the different packages and everything, and it really looks awesome,? Bob Chenoweth said.

[Fans danced outside the arena even after the doors opened.]

At 6:15 the doors opened, but the party continued outside. In the middle of it all stood a man who watched his vision turn into a reality.

?This could not have gone any better if we had been in operation for 10 years,? said Bobcats Arena COO Barry Silberman.

Silberman, the arena?s designer, has worked in some of America?s biggest cities. He said the Charlotte Bobcats Arena is like nothing he?s ever seen.

?It?s all about people coming together, having a great time,? he said. ?They?re seeing themselves on the big board out here and they?re dancing ? and that?s even before they get into the show, so wait till they see the Stones tonight.?

[People continued to pour into the brand new arena just before the show started.]

Silberman planned to walk around the arena during the concert to see how the building dealt with being filled to capacity. He said arena officials may have to make fine-tune changes here and there once they saw how the night went.

Meanwhile, city officials and police said traffic was not the problem they expected and there were plenty of parking spots to be had in the area.

Police were out in full force. They made eight arrests before the concert; all of those were people who were selling counterfeit tickets. Police said in at least one case someone who bought tickets on the street lost $900 when those tickets turned out to be fake.

In addition, police made three arrests for assault and one for domestic disturbance during and after the concert.

Members of the public who didn?t get a peek inside the arena Friday can get a free look this weekend. Officials will hold an open house Saturday and Sunday from 2-6 p.m.

VIDEO AVAILABLE AT http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/local_news/?AC=&ArID=105251&SecID=2
October 23rd, 2005 07:52 PM
charlotte voodoo, my son is going wild over the photo at the head of the Rolling Stones best message board in the world!! Every pc at his high school Monday will have this page on it...
October 23rd, 2005 08:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL Charlotte, I already removed that header as tomorrow's is Bill 69th birthday and of one thing I'm sure he won't live another 69 (and I mean YEARS LOL)

If you want we can make it a header again on Tuesday or Wednesday as it wasn't 24 hours up

In the meantime since I didn't clean the threads all the messages posted today before the change still have the header of your nice familiy

...developing

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
October 24th, 2005 08:48 AM
corgi37 Yeah, give the kid his fame! Glad you all liked the show.
October 24th, 2005 06:06 PM
Poplar
first chance i've had to post since the show.

best show i've seen in 4 tours and some 15 shows. tight, rocking, and amazingly professional. amazing night in Charlotte.

October 28th, 2005 11:46 PM
KeithRichardsWife I loveddd it!!! they sounded soo good!!
October 31st, 2005 10:15 AM
moy JEFF SINER / THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER

October 31st, 2005 09:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is probabloy not a great photo, but so cool, I can'pt describe the feeling and mixed-emotions when I received it from Temple's dad, Charles. If you don't know who is Temple just click the link below.

¡ Thanks Charles !

Bobcats Arena - Charlotte, NC

© Charles Lee, Temple's dad!

November 2nd, 2005 08:39 AM
Moonisup Great you put it up as a header!

Rik
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)