ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Eins Live" host Miriam Pielhau - November 2, 2001 interview
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: did The Who upstage Mick & Keith? Return to archive
10-22-01 05:10 PM
Miss U. what do u think?

I was never a Who fan, but their performance seemed alot more powerful. Listening to The Who on CD, in the past I just considered them o.k., was never that interested....but seeing them live was an epiphany!! Like, where have I been??!! And this at their age! Is Daltrey very close to McCartney? I noticed the big warm hug at the end. Why didn't they introduce the drummer....I heard it's Ringo's son. I'd have to say, I think in this show they were the highlight, as great as The Stones were. The Stones were definitely in tip-top shape, having a blast, loose & rocking, which was sooo great to see!! Maybe if the Stones had gotten the chance to do more tunes...
I also thought the choice of tunes The Who played was great, especially Behind Blue Eyes.
But really, I don't think the Stones would care about being upstaged; too confident for that.
Bon Jovi did more songs than Mick & Keith....strange. BTW, did anyone notice the Stones tongue on one of Bon Jovi's guitars? Wonder if it's one of ebay items.
What do you think the late great Lennon would think of McCartney's Freedom song?
10-22-01 06:08 PM
ruby213 I personally thought that The Who had too much time. I would have loved to have seen Mick and Keith do another song. I would also had loved it if Bruce Springsteen showed up. I went in the other room with my daughter during the Who as she said, Who are they. I just told her, The group is called the Who and all they are singing is Who are you? Over and Over. Brittany 11yrs old said, Anyone could write that song. I agreed. I just informed her that she was very lucky to have seen the Stones at age 8yrs old and can always say it was her first concert. She just went to bed after waiting so long for Mick and said, Mom can you wake me when Mick Jagger comes on. Its too bad the Who stole all that time. My little Britt never got to see Mick and Keith till morning, Yet she loved them. I didn't think it was fair at ALL for the Who to take up so much time...
10-22-01 06:18 PM
Gazza >The group is called the Who and all they are singing is Who are you? Over and Over. Brittany 11yrs old said, Anyone could write that song. I agreed.

Rubbish. Theres more to a song than a chorus. Listen to it
10-22-01 06:20 PM
Torn & Frayed Apples and oranges.

The Who appeared as a full band.

"The Stones" were not there.
Mick and Keith were backed by Letterman's house band.

BIG difference.
10-22-01 06:20 PM
rocksoff72 I have been a Who fan for 25 years, but I do think that Mick and Keith should have had more time, and The Who less.
It was kinda tough to see Pete Townshend cupping the mike to thank the audience, is he now truly completely deaf?
I really wish Mick and Keith could have done more songs, maybe Gimme Shelter, Wild Horses or Till The Next Time, all of which would have been good for that concert......

10-22-01 06:27 PM
ruby213 Gary,I didn't post my reply to get flamed by you. I have heard that song many times. Its a terrible song. I gave my opinion in which everyone is entitled to. Just because you didn't like it,You don't have to tear into me.

I will AGREE with Torn and Frayed that they had the entire band there and maybe thats why they let them play so long. Its just my opinion that they played too long when there is so much other talent out there.

Please don't slash out when someone asks if they thought the Who basically took over.

Next time the subject title shouldn't ask peoples opinions...
10-22-01 06:31 PM
Torn & Frayed [quote]ruby213 wrote:
I would also had loved it if Bruce Springsteen showed up.

After American Skin (41 Shots), Bruce is not a favorite of the NYPD.
Discretion was the better part of valor on Saturday.
10-22-01 06:43 PM
MUSICMAN

>It was kinda tough to see Pete Townshend cupping the mike >to thank the audience, is he now truly completely deaf?

You have to of been at MSG during last years Who shows to know why he did that.The NY POST wrote a scathing review of the opening stand show at MSG,and stated that Pete talked too much in between songs and that he was impossible to understand anything he said with his thick british accent,etc.

He cupped the mic,as to show some sarcasm to a the NY POST,and at the same time to provide an inside joke to the WHO fans that were there or watching on tv.
To return to the full electric sound on a 35 date tour last year,you could not do it with a complete deafness problem.
He talked about this on his website last year,and assured everyone that his Tinuitis (sic) was completely healed from years of extensive therapy.So,no...hear is far from being completely deaf.
Marc

10-22-01 06:48 PM
MUSICMAN [quote]Miss U. wrote:

>did anyone notice the Stones tongue on one of Bon Jovi's >guitars?

how about a police or firefighter wearing a gold badge with the Stones tongue logo in the middle,instead the city dept logo.That was definitely custom made,and awesome looking!
I am going to look into doing this for THE WHO on one of badges.
Marc
Firefighter/Paramedic - Fla.
Who thanks THE WHO and the STONES for their inspiring performances.
SALT OF THE EARTH might of been AS moving to me as anything The Who did that night.It was that good!
10-22-01 06:54 PM
Gazza >Gary,I didn't post my reply to get flamed by you.

Its not a flame...if I wanted to flame,I'd have been abusive and personal,which I'm not. Its a difference of opinion

>I have heard that song many times. Its a terrible song. I gave my opinion in which everyone is entitled to. Just because you didn't like it,You don't have to tear into me.

Relax,I didnt tear into you - you said the song is basically them singing "who are you" over and over again and implied a child could have written it. Theres a lot more to the song than that. Townshend doesnt write songs THAT shallow. its based on a true life incident inspired by an incident involving Townshend and a couple of members of the Sex Pistols. Youre entitled to your opinion as much as I or anyone else is..I'm also entitled to disagree with you. No need to get defensive about it!

>I will AGREE with Torn and Frayed that they had the entire band there and maybe thats why they let them play so long. Its just my opinion that they played too long when there is so much other talent out there.

>Please don't slash out when someone asks if they thought the Who basically took over.

Well,I doubt they "took over". 4 songs in a 5 hour show is hardly that. I'm sure they played that long cos they were offered such a time slot. They fairly woke the crowd up anyway. Mick & keith would probably have played longer if theyd taken the time to rehearse longer or if the Stones had announced themselves that they wanted to play a a band - fact is,they didnt. I'm sure theyd have got a longer set if they had (Keith remember only took it upon himself to come along at very short notice - hardly providing ample time to thrash out a decent length setlist)

>Next time the subject title shouldn't ask peoples opinions...

Its pointless venturing an opinion if you get sensitive about someone disagreeing with you. Your opinion is as valid as mine..mines as valid as yours. Its only a song for Chrissake. Get over it,its hardly something worth getting upset about.
10-22-01 08:04 PM
rocksoff72
Thanks Marc for the answer about Pete Townshend!!!
I did hear he was totally deaf, but I'm VERY glad to hear he isn't!!!
10-22-01 09:45 PM
Child of the Moon It was all Who. Nuff said. I was thrilled when Mick and Keith played, but the Who simply stole it... again.
10-23-01 08:16 AM
wfts maybe we are all just a little bit excited now...after seeing mick and keith together again...having them play only two songs...just wasn't enough to soothe us...we want more....we want a Tour....
10-23-01 10:17 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
what do u think?

I was never a Who fan, but their performance seemed alot more powerful.

It was more powerful! The whole spotlight was The Who "reuniting". The songs they played were rock anthems. Mick and Keith didn't get up and play JJFlash or Satisfaction they played Salt Of the Earth, which, IMO, is a respectful and dedicated piece to the whole representation of the event. I'll bet many people thought it was a new song. SOTE really slowed the show down with Miss You, the rockin' come-backer.
Nonetheless, both were great - in performance and dedication!!
10-23-01 05:37 PM
Ned Kelly Funny that we are talking about this now. Didn't Mick refuse to release Rock and Roll Circus because he felt upstaged by the Who performance. I've seen it many times and I do not think that was true then or now.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.