ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Kevin!
© 2005 Mr. Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones as car salesmen Return to archive
October 29th, 2005 12:34 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies In Yesterday's Paper (USA Today) I saw the Stones selling cars. I haven't seen this mentioned here. Maybe it don't interest no one. (Who Wants Yesterday's Paper?)

---------------------------------------------------------
Bigger bang (for the bucks). Add this concept to the curious-ideas list: the Rolling Stones as car salesmen. Who would have thought in their heyday that the Stones would one day preen with a Mercedes-Benz and make it the official car (whatever that means) of their "A Bigger Bang" tour?

Fellow '60s legend Janis Joplin sang a song that began: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz." When she was still alive — and when the Stones were still young — it was definitely not cool for a rocker with a social conscience to own a Mercedes. It wasn't even cool to pine for one, much less profit by selling them. But apparently it's all right now. In fact, it's a gas.

Aging rockers these days all seem to be signing on with someone. Paul McCartney has joined with Fidelity Investments. And Cadillac has been using a Led Zeppelin tune in a bold ad campaign designed to show that its cars are no longer for stodgy old country-clubbers approaching retirement.

Somehow, though, the sight of the four remaining Rolling Stones posing with a Mercedes R-Class wagon (dubbed a Grand Sports Tourer) in full-page newspaper ads this week seems jarringly out of sync. Keith Richards looks as if he's just aching to demonstrate its features, such as how easy it is to get a child's car seat in and out.

But times change, and for the Stones, money doesn't just talk, it screams. Between the car ads and the $350 concert seats they might need a new tune: Gimme (tax) shelter.
----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-10-27-thinking-edit_x.htm

October 29th, 2005 09:47 AM
Dick Bush
quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
In Yesterday's Paper (USA Today) I saw the Stones selling cars. I haven't seen this mentioned here. Maybe it don't interest no one. (Who Wants Yesterday's Paper?)

---------------------------------------------------------

It is indeed very pleasing to know that a band, which were formerly famed for their anti-establishment stance, is continuously developing their turning into the straight symbols of financial prosperity and civility. And I would modestly say, into the really useful members of society.

The very first good sign of it was their successeful musical turnaround, which made the housewives as their main target group. "The Days of Our Lives" TV-series have from now on a solid, adequate musical background, and one of my most daring dreams came true.

Much to my surprise, Keef appears to be the leading one on this positive change, even his apparel out of stage turns to be more and more conventional: I've firstly thought this pic was a bogus, but thanks heavens, it looks to be true.

Next time you'll look for a new car, you may think of Keef's recommendation. A honest marketeer like him just couldn't lie.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)