ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Kevin!
© 2005 Mr. Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is It Goodbye George Best? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 27th, 2005 10:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man While this morning's newspapers were saying his condition was worsening, according to tonight’s Evening Standard, his condition is reported to be "as bad as it could get". Family members were keeping a vigil as "he lay close to death in hospital today".

Lets keep or fingers crossed for the greatest talent British football and probably the World, has ever known

We really don't want him to die on us like other great drinkers such as Keith Moon and Oliver Reed.
October 27th, 2005 10:59 AM
exile Just saw it on the news, not looking good for him at the moment. I hope he pulls through. certainly is one of the last of the great drinkers.

Get well George
October 27th, 2005 11:48 AM
gimmekeef Wasnt he the original Beatles drummer too?.....
October 27th, 2005 11:51 AM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
While this morning's newspapers were saying his condition was worsening, according to tonight’s Evening Standard, his condition is reported to be "as bad as it could get". Family members were keeping a vigil as "he lay close to death in hospital today".

Lets keep or fingers crossed for the greatest talent British football and probably the World, has ever known

We really don't want him to die on us like other great drinkers such as Keith Moon and Oliver Reed.

He was a much better drummer than Ringo

Pete Forever --- Ringo Never !!!!
October 27th, 2005 12:18 PM
The Wick I don't know if Joey was being sarcastic, but for those who don't know George Best is one of the greatest footballers (no, not that silly term: soccer) to have ever played the game. He was known as the 5th Beatle because of his looks and glamour, and he was not related to Pete Best in any way. He played before my time, but has always been one of my heroes. Keep fighting Bestie.
October 27th, 2005 12:31 PM
BILL PERKS HOW OLD?
October 27th, 2005 12:38 PM
sirmoonie 59. He lived the life, and was one amazing athlete.
October 27th, 2005 01:06 PM
Jumacfly he was the King of football a long time before Eric Cantona.Good Luck George.
October 27th, 2005 01:30 PM
glencar He attained some fame in the US too because of the beauties he scored...
October 27th, 2005 01:39 PM
Joey

< --------59. He lived the life, and was one amazing athlete.
October 27th, 2005 01:40 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
He attained some fame in the US too because of the beauties he scored...

the father of the bigger bang
October 27th, 2005 01:42 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:

October 27th, 2005 02:44 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

< --------59. He lived the life, and was one amazing athlete.

Quadro?
October 27th, 2005 03:07 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Quadro?

It Blows Doors . Word !

Slacky !

October 27th, 2005 03:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

Bestie has probably both shagged more women than Mick and drank more booze than Keith!

I'm not biased just because he not only comes from the same city as me, but the same neighbourhood (his dad and my dad are friends), but he simply was the most talented footballer ever to have come from Europe and arguably the best ever (Pele himself said he was the greatest player he'd ever seen - a good enough recommendation)

Naturally enough, despite his chequered lifestyle, he's still a national hero here. This is a very sad time and hopefully he'll make it
October 27th, 2005 03:59 PM
The Wick Gazza, a great tie in with the Stones is what Calum Best and Lizzie Jagger are getting up to together.
October 27th, 2005 04:02 PM
glencar "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
October 27th, 2005 04:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Gazza, a great tie in with the Stones is what Calum Best and Lizzie Jagger are getting up to together.

True!

Another tie in with the Stones is Bill Wyman's appearance on George Best's This Is Your Life!
October 27th, 2005 04:05 PM
Joey

I STILL say the guy was one HELL of a drummer ( circa 1962 )
October 27th, 2005 04:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man The ting with George Best is that even before he became a notorious drunkard, he was always FAR more than just a footballer. He was like a pop star. He was even dubbed the 5th Beatle. He was friends with the Stones in the 60's and another related moment is his appearance on Top Of The Pops when the boys are miming to The Last Time!
October 27th, 2005 04:20 PM
glencar Really? He seems much more interesting now. I read a bit on line & it seems like the drink was irresistible to him.
October 27th, 2005 04:20 PM
sirmoonie Another tie - George Best used to party backstage with Keith Moon whenever The Who would hit Manchester. They drank Remy martin by the bucket!
October 27th, 2005 04:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The ting with George Best is that even before he became a notorious drunkard, he was always FAR more than just a footballer. He was like a pop star. He was even dubbed the 5th Beatle. He was friends with the Stones in the 60's and another related moment is his appearance on Top Of The Pops when the boys are miming to The Last Time!

yep..you just beat me to that one - well done!
October 27th, 2005 04:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Really? He seems much more interesting now. I read a bit on line & it seems like the drink was irresistible to him.

It's also unfortunately a hereditary thing, it seems. His mum died due to an alcohol related illness when she was even younger than he is now.

Despite everything, a great and down to earth guy who never forgot where he came from. Would never refuse anyone an autograph, guested in countless benefit matches, even for the most humble club. But dont think he's more interesting now...Bestie stories from the 60's and 70's are legendary. Quite a character, to put it mildly...

Its unfortunate that he never played in a World Cup finals. He basically stopped playing football at the top level in England when he was about 26 and Northern Ireland didnt have an international side capable of qualifying for a few years afterwards
[Edited by Gazza]
October 27th, 2005 06:01 PM
exile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Despite everything, a great and down to earth guy who never forgot where he came from. Would never refuse anyone an autograph, guested in countless benefit matches, even for the most humble club.

Yes this is true. very down to earth guy from what I have seen of him. very forward iin taliking about his alcoholism as well, more recently

I dont know if this is true, maybe Gazza can clarify it but back in the day he used to drink all night, shag beautiful women then rock up to a match with an hours sleep and play a blinder.
Imagine how good he would have been if he trained like David Beckham, or some of the other professionals do today god knows
October 28th, 2005 09:51 AM
The Wick He's doing a little better now thank God. Hopefully he will pull through.
October 28th, 2005 10:20 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Hope he gets through it.
Although I dont really have any sympathy for the man. He has made and ruined his own life.
I genuinly thought that having a kidney transplant a few years back would sort him out. But he just used it as an excuse to go out and get shitfaced again.

October 28th, 2005 10:24 AM
Gazza he had a liver transplant, not a kidney transplant

And, whilst I can understand that giving him one pissed a few people off, doing so isnt a cure for alcoholism

getting 'shitfaced' in his case is an end product of what is an illness.
[Edited by Gazza]
October 28th, 2005 10:28 AM
Voodoo Scrounge My mistake. I did know it was a Liver

It may be an illness. But its an illness of choice. He chose to do the drinking.
October 28th, 2005 10:30 AM
Gazza I dont think its as easy a choice as that somehow

It may be to you or me, but not someone who has an addiction

I shall send on your good wishes!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)