ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Kevin!
© 2005 Mr. Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rarities 1971-2003 - Press release Return to archive
October 26th, 2005 01:20 PM
Soldatti 10.26.05 STARBUCKS HEAR MUSIC AND VIRGIN RECORDS TO RELEASE ROLLING STONES RARITIES CD
CD Compiles Remixes, Exotic B-Sides and Hard-to-Find Live Recordings from the Rolling Stones' Archives

Sixteen-Song CD to Be Released Simultaneously at Starbucks and Traditional Retail on November 22

Seattle; October 26, 2005--Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) Hear Music and Virgin Records announced today that they will co-release Rarities: 1971 - 2003, a collection of Rolling Stones remixes, exotic B-sides and hard-to-find live recordings from the band's archives. The CD will be released simultaneously in Starbucks Company-operated stores in the U.S. and Canada as well as in traditional retail on November 22, 2005.

To compile the album, Starbucks Hear Music, Virgin Records and the band worked together to comb through more than three decades of rare and hard-to-find Rolling Stones recordings. Rarities: 1971 - 2003 consists of 16 exceptional archival tracks, including a cover of Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock," originally released as a B-side to the 1971 single "Brown Sugar," as well as alternate takes of several of the band's biggest hits, including live versions of "Tumbling Dice," "Wild Horses" and "Beast of Burden," plus a dance remix of "Miss You."

"With every studio session, there are always songs that never appear on the final album and at the time you think, what a shame that song did not make it," explains Mick Jagger. "Rarities is a collection of the best of these overlooked bits along with some rarely heard live recordings pulled together into a CD that offers a blend of original material and some of our favorite cover songs."

"When you listen to Rarities, you can hear that there is definitely some basic thread that runs through everything we've done since we were 19," explains Keith Richards. "Half of it is a feeling, and half of it is just the style we developed. That consistent feel comes through in the classic recordings on Rarities."

Once the track list was finalized, the band sat down for an in-depth interview about the song selections. The resulting conversation was used as the basis for the CD liner notes which feature exclusive archival photographs and quotes from the band about the significance and history of each song.

"Rarities is a key addition to any Rolling Stones music library. It is the perfect companion piece to A Bigger Bang as combined, they provide a snapshot of the band from 1971 through today," said Dominic Pandiscia, Vice President, Sales, Virgin Records.

"The Rolling Stones' contribution to popular music and culture over the past 40 years cannot be overstated," explains Ken Lombard, president, Starbucks Entertainment. "Just three months after the release of Bob Dylan Live at the Gaslight 1962, we are delighted to offer music fans a peek into the vault of yet another legendary force in popular music."

As with Ray Charles Genius Loves Company and Herbie Hancock Possibilities, Starbucks Hear Music participated in all aspects of this release, from manufacturing and distribution to marketing of the album, which will be sold beginning November 22 in traditional retail outlets as well as Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada and online at www.starbucks.com/hearmusic.

Track Listing for Rolling Stones Rarities: 1971 - 2003
1. "Fancy Man Blues" (B-side to the "Mixed Emotions" single)
2. "Tumbling Dice" (live)
3. "Wild Horses" (live)
4. "Beast of Burden" (live)
5. "Anyway You Look At It" (B-side to "Saint of Me" single)
6. "If I Was A Dancer" (Dance Pt 2.)
7. "Miss You" (dance version)
8. "Wish I'd Never Met You" (B-side to "Terrifying" single)
9. "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" (live)
10. "Mixed Emotions IV" (12" version)
11. "Through The Lonely Nights" (B-side to "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" single)
12. "Live With Me" (live)
13. "Let It Rock" (B-side to "Brown Sugar" single)
14. "Harlem Shuffle" (New York Mix)
15. "Mannish Boy" (live)
16. "Thru and Thru" (live)
October 26th, 2005 03:16 PM
Jair Thanks Soldatti but, this kind of rarities?
Whathalotofcrap!

Please, call 0800 helpmickjagger$

[Edited by Jair]
October 26th, 2005 03:16 PM
justinkurian Why do I get the feeling that those aren't the words of Mick and Keith...well more so that last sentence by Keith.

You gotta love press releases...this is the perfect companion to A Bigger Bang?!?!
October 26th, 2005 03:23 PM
Jair Ohh, they forgot "I think I'm going mad" & Satisfaction LIVE!!!
October 26th, 2005 04:47 PM
Zulu Fun Mix Exactly, justinkurian. Somehow I can't imagine Mick saying something like: "What a shame that song did not make it."
October 26th, 2005 04:49 PM
Zulu Fun Mix Hey, what happened to my F - A - C - E ??!!
October 26th, 2005 05:19 PM
gustavobala this isn´t a good album

seems like a jagger selection...lol
October 26th, 2005 06:30 PM
Some Guy I will it get it and a Tall Mocha Latte
October 26th, 2005 06:43 PM
scratched I will get it and a normal coffee!
October 26th, 2005 10:19 PM
Soldatti I'll get it, but no Starbucks here.
October 27th, 2005 06:35 AM
IanBillen Well it seems the objective here was to include the "not so norm" tracks yet still make it somewhat a marketable product at the same time.

I'll probably end up buying it but it is nothing too special.

Ian
October 27th, 2005 01:32 PM
glencar Is the track listing slightlty different from that announced a month ago?
October 27th, 2005 07:26 PM
Soldatti It's the same.
October 27th, 2005 09:17 PM
quackenbush Who is this album for? Most diehard Stones fans have these songs already. And I don't think it is worthwhile for the casual fan who mainly wants to hear their hits. A boxed set
of unreleased tracks would sell much better
October 28th, 2005 11:11 AM
Gazza the inclusion of so many songs that arent rarities but are available on albums seems to be a sly bit of marketing by Virgin to promote albums that have only recently been made available by them on CD (ie Sucking in the 70's plus the live albums)

They should have renamed it "Rarities Plus The Best Of This Year's Re-Releases"
October 28th, 2005 11:17 AM
GimmeExile Do we know what the dates are for any of the live recordings?
October 28th, 2005 11:18 AM
voodoopug
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
Who is this album for? Most diehard Stones fans have these songs already. And I don't think it is worthwhile for the casual fan who mainly wants to hear their hits. A boxed set
of unreleased tracks would sell much better

It really seems as if the record deal with Virgin is ending and they are doing their best to make whatever it is they can off of the rights they currently have. I dont have some of these songs in their most remastered format, so I guess it is worth the ten bucks to me. I dont expect this one to sell that much, but it still would make Virgin and the stones a few bucks.
October 28th, 2005 11:21 AM
voodoopug
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Do we know what the dates are for any of the live recordings?

credit to Gazza from an earlier post:

here's some more info..

many thanks to Dean for forwarding me this e-mail reply from Starbucks regarding the sources of some of the tracks

· All of the tracks have been previously released. The rarest is “Thru and Thru,” which has only been released on the live concert DVD Four Flicks.

· I want to clarify that the price Ken gave you (US: $15.95 / CAN: $19.95) is the Starbucks price – the official “suggested retail” is determined by Virgin.

· I can confirm that the CD will be released simultaneously at Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada and traditional retail on November 22, 2005. We are asking Virgin to determine whether they have plans to release the album internationally and will follow up with that information.

Here’s more info on the live tracks:

· “Tumbling Dice” (recorded live in 1995. Originally released on Stripped the 1995 “unplugged” project drawn from tour rehearsals and live club shows in Paris and Amsterdam along with Voodoo Lounge tour.)

· “Wild Horses” (recorded live in 1995. Originally released on Stripped the 1995 “unplugged” project drawn from tour rehearsals and live club shows in Paris and Amsterdam along with Voodoo Lounge tour.)

· “Beast of Burden” (recorded live in 1981 at a Los Angeles show and available only as a B-side to “Going to a Go-Go” and on the Sucking in the Seventies compilation)

· “I Just Wanna Make Love To You” (recorded live in 1998 and originally included on the No Security live album in 1998)

· “Live With Me” (recorded live in 1998 and originally included on the No Security live album in 1998)

· “Mannish Boy” (recorded live in 1977 in Toronto’s El Macambo club and appeared on both Love You Live and Sucking the Seventies)

· “Thru and Thru” (recorded live in 2003 in Madison Square Garden and previously released only on the DVD Four Flicks)

So, the version of "I Just Wanna Make Love to you" appears to be the one thats on the Japanese version of No Security.

Surprised - if this info is correct - that the version of Live With Me seems to be from No Security and not the 1995 b-side.

'Beast of Burden' from 1981 actually comes from Chicago, not Los Angeles. However, the version on "Sucking in the 70's" is an edit of the studio version, not a live version. (I guess theyre confusing it with the live version of 'When The Whip Comes Down')
October 28th, 2005 11:25 AM
GimmeExile Thanks, pug!
October 28th, 2005 11:27 AM
voodoopug
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Thanks, pug!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)