ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Kevin!
© 2005 Mr. Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Dig Up Rarities For Starbucks CD Return to archive
October 26th, 2005 07:28 AM
justinkurian Didn't see this posted...From Billboard.com.

As first tipped here in July, the Rolling Stones will release an album of rare tracks next month in partnership with coffee retailer Starbucks Corp. and the group's Virgin Records label.

"Rarities 1971-2003" will be released simultaneously on Nov. 22 in both Starbucks-owned outlets and in traditional music stores across the United States and Canada. Virgin will handle the foreign release by itself.

The nonexclusive deal marks a departure from recent controversial arrangements Starbucks has had with other major artists. Alanis Morissette allowed Starbucks to sell her latest album six weeks before everyone else, resulting in the HMV chain in her native Canada pulling her other albums off its racks in protest.

The Stones, currently on a tour of North America, suffered a similar fate from some retailers in 2003 when they gave electronics chain Best Buy Co. Inc. an exclusive sales window for a DVD package.

The new Stones disc boasts 16 tracks, including live versions of concert staples like "Tumbling Dice" and "Beast of Burden," dance remixes of songs like "Miss You" and "Harlem Shuffle" and B-sides, such as their live 1971 cover of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock." All have been previously released, but some are hard to find. The band has been wary of releasing old gems as it prefers to keep the focus on its new material.

"With every studio session, there are always songs that never appear on the final album and at the time you think, what a shame that song did not make it," Stones vocalist Mick Jagger said in a statement.

The album will reach stores just 11 weeks after the Stones released their first studio album in eight years, "A Bigger Bang." Despite critical acclaim and heavy publicity surrounding the tour, the set has been a commercial disappointment, debuting at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and sliding to No. 63 in its sixth week, with cumulative sales of 295,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Starbucks was involved in the manufacturing, distribution and marketing of "Rarities," but Starbucks Entertainment president Ken Lombard declined to offer financial specifics. "We felt this was an exciting project and a perfect fit for what we're trying to provide to our customers," he said.

Lombard said Starbucks has been working with the Stones' management since they partnered on a 2003 album in the chain's "Artist's Choice" series, where musicians choose their favorite songs and discuss their impact.
October 26th, 2005 10:23 PM
Gazza Thanks, Justin

here's some more info..

many thanks to Dean for forwarding me this e-mail reply from Starbucks regarding the sources of some of the tracks

· All of the tracks have been previously released. The rarest is “Thru and Thru,” which has only been released on the live concert DVD Four Flicks.

· I want to clarify that the price Ken gave you (US: $15.95 / CAN: $19.95) is the Starbucks price – the official “suggested retail” is determined by Virgin.

· I can confirm that the CD will be released simultaneously at Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada and traditional retail on November 22, 2005. We are asking Virgin to determine whether they have plans to release the album internationally and will follow up with that information.

Here’s more info on the live tracks:

· “Tumbling Dice” (recorded live in 1995. Originally released on Stripped the 1995 “unplugged” project drawn from tour rehearsals and live club shows in Paris and Amsterdam along with Voodoo Lounge tour.)

· “Wild Horses” (recorded live in 1995. Originally released on Stripped the 1995 “unplugged” project drawn from tour rehearsals and live club shows in Paris and Amsterdam along with Voodoo Lounge tour.)

· “Beast of Burden” (recorded live in 1981 at a Los Angeles show and available only as a B-side to “Going to a Go-Go” and on the Sucking in the Seventies compilation)

· “I Just Wanna Make Love To You” (recorded live in 1998 and originally included on the No Security live album in 1998)

· “Live With Me” (recorded live in 1998 and originally included on the No Security live album in 1998)

· “Mannish Boy” (recorded live in 1977 in Toronto’s El Macambo club and appeared on both Love You Live and Sucking the Seventies)

· “Thru and Thru” (recorded live in 2003 in Madison Square Garden and previously released only on the DVD Four Flicks)

So, the version of "I Just Wanna Make Love to you" appears to be the one thats on the Japanese version of No Security.

Surprised - if this info is correct - that the version of Live With Me seems to be from No Security and not the 1995 b-side.

'Beast of Burden' from 1981 actually comes from Chicago, not Los Angeles. However, the version on "Sucking in the 70's" is an edit of the studio version, not a live version. (I guess theyre confusing it with the live version of 'When The Whip Comes Down')
October 26th, 2005 10:30 PM
Soldatti Well, I never heard the '98 live version of I Just Want To Make Love To You before. It's a decent CD, but it could be much better with 3-4 different songs.
October 27th, 2005 04:48 AM
UGot2Rollme track list from RS.COM:

1. Fancy Man Blues (B-Side to the "Mixed Emotions" single)
2. Tumbling Dice (Live)
3. Wild Horses (Live)
4. Beast Of Burden (Live)
5. Anyway You Look At It (B-side to "Saint Of Me" single)
6. If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)
7. Miss You (Dance Version)
8. Wish I'd Never Met You (B-side to "Terrifying" single)
9. I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Live)
10. Mixed Emotions IV (12" version)
11. Through The Lonely Nightsa (B-side to "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" Single)
12. Live With Me (Live)
13. Let It Rock (B-side to "Brown Sugar" single)
14. Harlem Shuffle (New York Mix)
15. Mannish Boy (Live)
16. Thru And Thru (Live)
October 27th, 2005 01:55 PM
gimmekeef Now I have to line up and listen to the annoying Starbucks coffee machines and hang with a gang of computer nerds in their store to pay for some songs I either have or dont give a shit about....hmmmmm....No thanks!
October 27th, 2005 02:07 PM
gimmekeef Hell though...it might sell more then ABB..which isnt sayin much....but is SAD SAD SAD.....
October 27th, 2005 02:12 PM
erikjjf
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Now I have to line up and listen to the annoying Starbucks coffee machines and hang with a gang of computer nerds in their store to pay for some songs I either have or dont give a shit about....hmmmmm....No thanks!

You won't have to, since it is not an exclusive Starbucks release.
October 27th, 2005 02:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Now I have to line up and listen to the annoying Starbucks coffee machines and hang with a gang of computer nerds in their store to pay for some songs I either have or dont give a shit about....hmmmmm....No thanks!

it will be available at all of the normal retail stores, not just Starbucks.
October 27th, 2005 02:50 PM
gimmekeef Thanks guys..but I have all I need off this drab collection on other unofficial releases.They have much better stuff to give us if they gave a crap....
October 27th, 2005 02:52 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Thanks guys..but I have all I need off this drab collection on other unofficial releases.They have much better stuff to give us if they gave a crap....

There are too many great live shows that could come out, thats for sure!
October 27th, 2005 07:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Thanks guys..but I have all I need off this drab collection on other unofficial releases.They have much better stuff to give us if they gave a crap....

We'll get Rarities 2, 3... on the next years with a similar mix of b-sides, live tracks, remixes and songs from Four Flicks or the new DVD from this tour.
October 28th, 2005 04:25 PM
Gimme Shelter Best Buy will probally have it for $9.99 on the day it comes out.
October 28th, 2005 05:25 PM
winter
"Stones Dig Up Rarities For Starbucks CD"

Not a whole lot of digging here. This is more of a "wiping the dust off" than anything else. I will by it, but I am disappointed. I will return it if it has the Dre - remix of Miss You rather than the good one from the 70s, and I won't even care if they don't give me my money back.

wintah
October 28th, 2005 06:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
winter wrote:
I will return it if it has the Dre - remix of Miss You rather than the good one from the 70s, and I won't even care if they don't give me my money back.

wintah

the 1978 one is an "extended version". the Dre one is a "remix"

Looks like you wont even have to go into the store, wintah
October 28th, 2005 07:41 PM
kath gawd.....STARBUCKS!!!!

just kill me.......totally sold out. first the fuckin' superbowl, now THIS!!
October 29th, 2005 09:47 AM
winter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

the 1978 one is an "extended version". the Dre one is a "remix"

Looks like you wont even have to go into the store, wintah

Gazza,

Good point. Thank you.

Wintah
October 29th, 2005 10:44 AM
marko Beast Of Burden is NOT from los angles 1981,its actually from CHICAGO rosemont horizon november 25th.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)