ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Kevin!
© 2005 Mr. Kevin Mazur
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is this The Stones last contractual studio release under Virgin.....from Ian Return to archive
October 24th, 2005 07:52 AM
IanBillen Is this their last studio release under this contract? I think it was a three album contract as far as true studio albums is concerened or am I wrong? If it is what do you think will become of their next recording contract? Do you think they will even try to do another one? Also will they stay with Virgin and how do you think they did monetarily for Virgin? Do you think they are satisfied and sales did as expected for this aged band being as Hip-Hop and Pop rules the market. What is to become of all this and what do you think the record exec's at Virgin want to do? I am sure they most certainly want to keep The Rolling Stones under their lables name. What record company in the world wouldn't? But is Virgin going to be willing to pay Rolling Stones money when it comes time to sign again. Lables usually don't like one record contracts and certainly not one record contracts with with bigger bands. They like shooting for three, sometimes five album deals with big acts. Will The Rolling Stones even want to obligate and commit themselves to a recording contract again like this at this later stage?

any input?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
October 24th, 2005 08:08 AM
Gazza there are ten questions in that post...

yes, the Stones have now come to the end of their contractual obligations with EMI - ie, three studio albums

The proliferation of re-releases, live albums and rarities issued by EMI in the last year strike me as a last gasp cash-in by a label who believe/know the Stones are going elsewhere

I dont think the Stones will sign a long-term deal with another label. Makes no sense for a band in their 60's who probably wont even be ready to MAKE another studio album until 2007/2008 when the two main songwriters will be approaching 65. Maybe a one album deal with options on things like live records, rereleases and (gasp) any archive projects.
October 24th, 2005 09:03 AM
corgi37 Mark Uncle Corgi's words...

THIS IS THE LAST STONES NEW STUDIO RECORD.

After 8 years, it's sold fairly badly. Terribly in the U.S. the most important market. There is no money in older acts now. That situation wont change. The back catalogue might be something of value, but i doubt it.

Any archive stuff is only going to appeal to us. Not to casual fans or indifferent people, who might feel 40 Licks, or even Flashback, or even a few free downloads, is enough of the band.

The time for them to release some nice rare stuff was the break between B2B and Licks, and then incorporate a "sneaky" song into their act. But, hey, they dont even do any of the singles from any album (except ABB of course) on this tour. The most recent single performed by them is Start me up. They had a chance of making Love is strong a live fave, but ditched it quick smart. It aint even on any of the 2 official vids from the VL tour. Shows you the faith they had in it. Neither was Mixed Emotions featured on any 89/90 vid. And "Anybody seen my baby" wasnt on the 97 vid/dvd.

if they dont have faith, why should any one else? To prove a point, they should never have done YGMR on this tour, but kept to Dont Stop, just to say they had a bit of belief in their recent stuff. I mean, how nuts is it to not perform any 1st single from any album since 81?

I pretty much think there will be a farewell tour after this, and thats it. Shut the gates. Close the door. Turn off the light. Close your eyes.
October 24th, 2005 09:15 AM
justforyou But Uncle Corgi, these artists known as the Stones don't need mega sales and cash injections anymore. They might just *want* to create and release songs in the future, finding a record label is hardly going to be a problem.

Barring accidents and the like, I refuse to believe we have seen the last of new Jagger-Richard compositions.

ABB is a nice effort in comparison to the last 3-4 albums, so why wouldn't they make more music ? The universe is claimed to have started with banging not ended...
October 24th, 2005 09:17 AM
justforyou Btw. what happened to your drumtrack for what was it 'Let it Loose' ?? We're still waiting on your release...
October 24th, 2005 10:28 AM
gimmekeef The days of big advances for groups/solo artists to sign record deals is over.For aging acts like ours...its way over....Take all the outatkes etc you might cull together one decent box set that the hardcore already has on boots so that wont even sell.(plus much is controlled by Klein)...I think Mick and Keith likely have one more shot and that a small deal is all they would get or want and it will happen with little fanfare because of the low expectations.Course all of this wont happen until we get "Live On Stage"...or Live Warhorses Part 7 .....
October 24th, 2005 10:58 AM
Moonisup I loved my cat, but I had to put it to sleep. It was better cos he suffered.
I think the same way about the stones.
October 24th, 2005 11:03 AM
Joey " Mark Uncle Corgi's words...

THIS IS THE LAST STONES NEW STUDIO RECORD.

After 8 years, it's sold fairly badly. Terribly in the U.S. the most important market. There is no money in older acts now. That situation wont change. The back catalogue might be something of value, but i doubt it. "

Amen !!!!!!!!

Let's hope they continue to tour until they drop --- that is all people realy care about !

October 24th, 2005 11:05 AM
Moonisup the stones don't believe in their own album, mick always likes to diss it after a year (said charlie). That's why they won't play them
October 24th, 2005 11:18 AM
justforyou
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I loved my cat, but I had to put it to sleep. It was better cos he suffered.
I think the same way about the stones.

So have you been suffering since the release of ABB and need to be put to sleep ??
October 24th, 2005 11:22 AM
wgwalsh Mr. Ian:

Ten years ago we had WINDOWS 95 and little broadband.

Today, we have access to broadland downloads, on XP from all over the world; even from outside of THE RECORD CONNECTION.

This has effected the bottom line of units sold.

The boys are not done making money and will put out more product.

Hang fire mate !
October 24th, 2005 12:05 PM
IanBillen [quote]wgwalsh wrote:
Mr. Ian:

Ten years ago we had WINDOWS 95 and little broadband.

Today, we have access to broadland downloads, on XP from all over the world; even from outside of THE RECORD CONNECTION.

This has effected the bottom line of units sold.

The boys are not done making money and will put out more product.

Hang fire mate !

Windows who? It is Mac OS X time brother. And you are truly right. Downloading has put a huge dent in CD/(album) sales. Think about it. How many young men actually buy CD's anymore. They get the stuff using a bittorent site. The only two groups of people actually buying music is younger women and older men. The teenage boys buying albums just isn't happening these days. It really does make a huge dent. Even a crash. I would guess per ratio buying CD's has decreased 40-50% in the past 10 years. That is a remarkable number I know but it really seems like it. I would guess the industry would sell over all twice as many albums if downloading it for free was non-existent.

Ian
October 24th, 2005 12:17 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
there are ten questions in that post...

yes, the Stones have now come to the end of their contractual obligations with EMI - ie, three studio albums

The proliferation of re-releases, live albums and rarities issued by EMI in the last year strike me as a last gasp cash-in by a label who believe/know the Stones are going elsewhere

I dont think the Stones will sign a long-term deal with another label. Makes no sense for a band in their 60's who probably wont even be ready to MAKE another studio album until 2007/2008 when the two main songwriters will be approaching 65. Maybe a one album deal with options on things like live records, rereleases and (gasp) any archive projects.

Good posting and thank you for the answers.. The boys will go into the studio shortly after this tour ends and a negotiation occurs for future recording. Recording negotiations will begin in the late spring while still on tour. This helps The Stones validity and makes a stronger case for negotiations. Still proves Stones are relevent and selling out stadium shows. This is the game plan.

Ian
October 24th, 2005 01:47 PM
voodoopug why do all of your posts's titles end with "from Ian" we can see who starts every post. Please explain.
October 24th, 2005 02:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Good posting and thank you for the answers.. The boys will go into the studio shortly after this tour ends and a negotiation occurs for future recording. Recording negotiations will begin in the late spring while still on tour. This helps The Stones validity and makes a stronger case for negotiations. Still proves Stones are relevent and selling out stadium shows. This is the game plan.

Ian

Theres nothing to have stopped them negotiating with another label while still under contract with EMI - I remember back in '83 they signed a world record deal with CBS before they had released "Undercover" with their previous label

I dont believe they'll go into the studio "shortly after this tour ends" for a minute (despite what Charlie said about wanting to make another record soon after this one and in a similar style).

IF they make another studio album, I dont expect to hear it prior to 2008. I think they'll be generally happy with the critical reception that ABB has received - even though theyre probably hardened to criticism, it still must be heartwarming to see a new Stones album in 2005 get such a generally positive reception. Sales however have been less overwhelming than they should be - still quite good, but for a new album accompanied by a tour, unspectacular. I cant imagine that they're happy with the way Virgin have promoted them so poorly in recent years.

The Stones dont really have a strong negotiating base for future album deals because their long-term future plans are somewhat limited and their album sales are relatively unspectacular for a band of their reputation - compared to their appeal as a live act. No record label run by anyone sensible is going to offer them a long term contract for studio albums going by their age, uncertain future health and how inactive they've been for so many years.

The reason why Virgin signed them was primarily due to the potential for repackaging their back catalogue. Now thats been done to death, the incentive for anyone else signing them for a similar reason is significantly smaller than it was in 1992. And, as said above, the days of massive advances are over.

Sad to say, but the only thing that is going to make Stones album sales suddenly go through the roof is if one of them dies and the Elvis/John Lennon 'sentimental' factor suddenly kicks in with the general public
October 24th, 2005 05:15 PM
Some Guy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
why do all of your posts's titles end with "from Ian" we can see who starts every post. Please explain.

I have often wondered that myself.
October 24th, 2005 05:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

I have often wondered that myself.

mine was not meant to be a negative post, I have often wondered the background of it.
October 24th, 2005 05:26 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Sad to say, but the only thing that is going to make Stones album sales suddenly go through the roof is if one of them dies and the Elvis/John Lennon 'sentimental' factor suddenly kicks in with the general public

A fine friend you are!

Well, this is a pretty creepy speculation!

Santa mental factor!
October 24th, 2005 07:48 PM
Soldatti It's a pretty creepy speculation, but is very true.
Lennon's best selling album was Double Fantasy, Queen sold more records between 1992-1995 than in the previous 20 years, Ray Charles got a US #1 album early this year by first time, sadly he was not alive to see it.
October 25th, 2005 01:39 AM
IanBillen
Well I tell you. The Stones must have the most leanient recording contract of all time. It must have absolutely no time constraints which is basically unheard of except possibly very few select artists in all the history of recording contracts.. If you figure they went 8 long years between a true studio release without any problem (that we know of atleast). In 2002 they didn't even do another album at that point and Virgin was OK with it. Sure 40 Licks did really well (considering the downloading era had already began) and all but it seems like Virgin would of put their foot down if their were clauses in the contract about recording in a time frame. Obviously their wasn't. . So their last contract must of been totaly on the Stones side of things. Money, time,.....they got it all with that one. Wonder if they still have that kind of bargaining power. My guess is definately yes. Why wouldn't they? You know the album will do double platinum but waaaaaay more than that what really speaks it is The Rolling Stones.
for crimony's sake.
Ian
October 25th, 2005 10:49 AM
Dick Bush
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
It's a pretty creepy speculation, but is very true.
Lennon's best selling album was Double Fantasy, Queen sold more records between 1992-1995 than in the previous 20 years, Ray Charles got a US #1 album early this year by first time, sadly he was not alive to see it.

Should I now start wishing Keef and his guys to die soon, for the sake of selling more records?

On the other hand, why giving up too fast the hope that they could make a good release again, I mean, the bigger bag is not only the sweetest mainstream they have ever made, it's factually a soap opera soundtrack, the good matching one. I remember the days when Scorcese prefered their music for his movies, where the hecke are all they gone?

October 25th, 2005 12:00 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
justforyou wrote:

So have you been suffering since the release of ABB and need to be put to sleep ??

ROTFLMAO

Funny thread. This board is back to craziness as usual! BTW Gazza, remember what you said this summer about what would some boarders do when the Stones stop touring? There's a tour in full swing, the Stones are doing well with it and the album but speculation is rife anyway!

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
October 26th, 2005 07:44 AM
corgi37 Justforyou!! Man, if you only knew the fucking hassles i have had. Had to buy a new burner, new cymbol and stand, new headphones - You name it. And, just yesterday, i lost all sound on my new computer (the one i am using now).

My kids destroyed my set up in my garage trying install some fucking game, and my brother has been living in my garage for the past month. He too disconnected everything to plug some of his stuff in. It's been a nightmare. 3 times i tried to save my tracks to send, and each fucking time one computer doesnt read anything on the disc. I was slowly going insane.

For whats it worth, drum tracks to Let it loose and stop breaking down are done. Aint 100% happy with them, but its been long enough. Should be (fingers bloody crossed) be able to burn and send tonight.

Also, i got 2 weeks hols starting next Wednesday, so i will be going hell for leather then doing other songs. PM me with what you want next. I reckon Rocks off.

P.S. The Stones success as a touring band is unquestionable. However, sales of "product" is fucked. Aint no one gonna pay big biccies for a elderly bunch of geezers who expect too much, take ages to deliver, and despite a huge tour, STILL, i say again, STILL, cannot get big sales.

Just be happy with ABB. It is the Stones "Let it be". It is the Stones "LA Woman". It is the Stones "Who are you".
October 26th, 2005 08:29 AM
padre
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
mine was not meant to be a negative post, I have often wondered the background of it.

Me too. Please explain us.
October 27th, 2005 01:23 PM
wgwalsh Let us not forget the economy. $3 for a gallon of gas, companies leaving the USA in droves, layoffs, healthcare costs skyrocketing, natural gas prices spiking up through the roof, insurance rate hikes and tuition rate hikes.

Disposable income is limited much more now. Been out to a restaurant for a steak where tipping is the norm ?

Some folks would rather have an X-Box, Playstation, Hi Def TV or a new PC. These types of purchases are usually financed or charged.

The music CDs are becoming overlooked, in part, because folks are strapped out. Then the boys want big bucks for seats at the shows.

Ask any mom and pop CD shop ! If they are still in business they augment their income by doing DJ work on the weekends or working another job.

I believe Mr. Watts referred to paying the rent as deadly serious. He, in fact, is correct.

Real life is tough and it is going to get tougher. Real life isn't the way Madison Avenue likes to portray it.
October 27th, 2005 05:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot Honestly, if future albums are going to be A Bigger Bang pt. 2...I'd rather they not sign another recording contract.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)