ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

REUTERS/Fred Prouser
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie & Keith Return to archive
10-30-02 11:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy So what's up with these two on tour? The others (Mick & Charlie) we haven't had to worry about - hell, we've never had to worry about Charlie - but I know Ronnie tends to hang out with Mick much more often now rather than Keith - for the simple reason, I think, that Keith drinks like a madman and Ronnie doesn't want to be tempted. As a result, he's not always 'playful Ronnie' - although there have been reports of him and Keith having a great time together up there - the relation seems to be cool, and as a result, we're not really getting the good old-fashioned weave like we used to.

Any ideas on this? Anyone who's seen a lot of shows think there's any truth behind this?

-tSYX --- If you can't rock me...
10-30-02 11:52 AM
stonedinaustralia tsyx -

one thought

the stones are no longer a cretive unit - they are simply taking care of business

just a thought
10-30-02 04:26 PM
MidnightRambler I definitely noticed that Mick and Ronnie are getting awfully chummy lately. I watched the Fleet video and Mick is always acknowledging Ronnie, either by just a tap on the back or during a solo he would touch Ronnie's head and, like in Roseland take his cigarette and whip it at the floor.

I think Mick likes this Ronnie than the non-sober one. But, yes, Ronnie probably finds it safer w/ Mick than Keith when it comes to the company. But onstage--I still think that Ronnie and Keith are still inseperable.

Keith can't control himself to just walk on over to Ronnie and just play next to him. Just when I see those two guys play right next to each other and they exchange a smile or two--- that is enough. With the reviews as to how great the Warhorses sound like JJF with the more "guitar sound"--just shows how much MORE they are listening to each other.

10-30-02 04:40 PM
Moonisup I saw a Ronnie solo from angie, and it was bad, I could do that. it was not an ok solo, just rambling on a guitar, it sounded ok, but it could have done better, wanna see a bad ronnie watch the Bremen 1998 video, he drunk ore stoned ore both reallll bad! i like Ronnie, but he should be Ronnie and not try to be Diana ross, I don't believe when someone drinks over 40 years and just says; I stop boozing, you'd die then, your body gets used to alcohol
10-30-02 04:43 PM
luxury1 It's almost like they've all finally *gasp* grown up a little. Everybody seems to be having fun--they are certainly playing tighter than I've ever seen/heard them. I wish Mick and Keith were the Glimmer Twins again though--I dont sense a lot of closeness between those two on stage. Ronnie and Keith seemed about the same to me, live, on stage, at least. But Keith isn't giving Mick the time of day--especially when Mick straps on that electric guitar--Keith seems to avoid him.
10-30-02 07:14 PM
Martha Here's my perspective from the three shows I attended.

1. Detroit...Keef was on fire all night...got along well with Ronnie. He was so on that he seemed to stand alone most of that show..to me anyway. They all came off hat away to me. But I also saw them as a unit...and their united presence sent shivers up my spine as I heard them play the best show of my friggin' little rinky dink life! It was as though no one else was performing up there with them..that it was just Keef, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie...
The Rolling Stones.

Incredible night I will neve,r ever forget.

2. Cleveland. Ronnie and Keef were tight...hanging real close together, which seemd to be initiated somewhat by Ronnie. They started out of the box in this mode. And Ronnie was goofin' off so much that I thought he was drinking again, intitially...I actaully got a bit worried. Keef was in a playful mood too and had Charlie laughing harder than I've ever seen him laugh while he was drumming his heart out during CYHMK......I won't ever forget seeing that. I have no idea what the hell Keef was saying or doing to make him laugh so hard...anyone else catch this???

3. Columbus..the Spat... Ronnie gets pissed at Keef and has a fit.. But still all seems well and the show/tour goes on.

Mick does attend a little to Ronnie..rubs his head a lot, etc. But I think Ronnie is a very open, accesible personality and is not demanding of anyone...for the most part that is.

I remember I saw Mick acknowledge Keef during the three shows (nothing much struck me one way or another, though). I think they are both so strong and relatively equal in their stage presence that they have some kind of intangible boundary set between them that supersedes or transcends their personal relationship.

I know they aren't "close" from the interviews that Keef gave in RS and Guitar World. I doubt if anyone is "close" emotionally (intimately) speaking to Mick...he's teflon...and probably narcissistic. Narcissists are impossible to have a close (emotional/intimate) relationship with, by the way. I've encountered a few in my life.......bad news. They don't give back. God they can be awful charming though.

I can love 'em from a distance though..can't I???!
10-30-02 07:50 PM
MidnightRambler Great post, Martha!

Yeah, I love it when the guys have a real laugh on stage---especially Cha-Cha!!

I remember during the end of "Tumblin' Dice" during the NS tour, while the song was winding down...Keith was facing the band; he was playing the chords with his back to the crowd and you can see Ron and Charlie looking at him for the cue for the song to be over. In a couple minutes, Ron and Charlie burst laughing. (I have no idea what it was about!) Charlie had a good chuckle. I LOVE that!!

Also, in MSG '98 on the B-stage they were doing "Let It Bleed" and Charlie at the time was wearing those headphones so he could here himself while on the B-stage....and the headphones were starting to slide off--right in front of his face. The only way to keep them from falling down was to keep his head high so they wouldn't slide off! Then Ronnie comes over and helps him slide that baby back up. Charlie smiles. That's all you need, man...just for Charlie to whip out that smile! The video for this concert shows it perfectly.
10-30-02 08:51 PM
Cracker2550 At the Atlanta show Keith blew Ron a kiss while they were playing and both started smiling alot. It was great.