ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

REUTERS/Fred Prouser
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other musicians say RS aren't the 'World's Greatest R&R Band' Return to archive
10-28-02 03:24 AM
Slick 2 articles from the Los Angeles Daily News:

Musicians on whether 'World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band' deserves its rep

Roll of a lifetime
(Bill Wyman article)

10-28-02 03:51 AM
lin I knew brandon boyd had good taste! gosh, if you're going to throw out a question like that, why not ask those in the music industry who are relevant and influential, rather than half those band members they asked.
10-28-02 03:54 AM
Harrylime I only went to the first link,but their opinions seemed
pretty rational.Art Garfunkel needs to give Exile
a few spins though.Fleetwood Mac above the Stones?!Jeez,
this guy has lost the plot.And that bloke from Incubus
saying the Stones had ripped off the Hives ,LOL.HE was only joking ofcourse.Is the Beatles canon as varied as some folk
suggest?
10-28-02 04:23 AM
Pants Make the Man Art Garfunkel couldnt write a R&R song if he had a gun pointed at his head, so his opinion count's for shit. As for that Mark Hoppus kid- well, Blink-182 is on their 14th minute of fame, aren't they? I hope they've been saving their money, because it will all be over in T-minus 60 seconds and counting. Now Carla Olsen, Chuck D and the former lead singer for Afghan Wig's- they have been paying attention.
10-28-02 05:06 AM
gypsymofo60 At the risk of repeating an oft too used phrase "music is my life", I've studied it in many, and varied forms, and I think I know a thing or two about it. With that said although I can appreciate many artists The Rolling Stones(as far as rock is concerned), are untouchable. I fail to see why this is so hard for professional musicians to grasp especially. Technicaly there maybe better artists, The Beatles were more popular, Guns n' Roses were druggier, and more lethal, Zepp' were more the virtuosos, and over the last 20 years there are more innovative, and adventurous artists out there, but none of them can touch The Stones in as much as The Stones can not only at least claim a stake in all departments, but their image, longevity,and that something that I personaly have never been able to put my finger on shine above one, and all others. And long may they reign....a fan.
10-28-02 05:29 AM
Moonisup all crap. I prefer Howlin' wolf's, buddy Guy's, John lee's, Clapton's, the Who's opinions above those crap guys! I just know art g, the rest I haven't really hurt of, just 1 day flies!

rik
10-28-02 06:24 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
all crap. I prefer Howlin' wolf's, buddy Guy's, John lee's, Clapton's, the Who's opinions above those crap guys! I just know art g, the rest I haven't really hurt of, just 1 day flies!

rik

`

Hi Rik, why not make a song about 1 day flies ;-) ;-)!!
10-28-02 06:37 AM
Pants Make the Man And how could Art Garfunkel say that the Stones don't offer variety? That's just not true.
10-28-02 07:04 AM
Jaxx we could call them jealous competitors.
10-28-02 07:23 AM
JaggaRichards
quote:
Pants Make the Man wrote:
And how could Art Garfunkel say that the Stones don't offer variety? That's just not true.

Right! What's Art done lately-repopularize the Larry Fine look?
10-28-02 08:28 AM
Boomhauer The thing I find very amusing is that Art Garfunkel probably thinks that he is located somewhere between 1 and 9!

LOL

[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-28-02 09:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm actually kinda surprised that The Stones are as well thought of as they are by some of these people.

I mean, who woulda thunk that Chuck D is a fan?

I'd say something nasty about Art Garfunkle, but since I could really care less what the guy has to say, I'll let it pass.
10-28-02 10:11 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yes, to answer an above question, The Beatles did do a lot of variety later on. Which is why the White Album is so damn good.

But the Stones, by virtue of simply being around longer and having a lead singer who likes to keep up with the times, have a lot more variety in their music. Not all of it is good variety ("Back To Zero"? "Might As Well Get Juiced"? "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)"?) - but it's variety nevertheless. And the fact is, the Stones have set the precedents for how a modern rock concert is conducted. They were the first band to carry around their own light systems when they were on tour. They were the first heavy promoters, turning tour announcements into media spectacles. I still love that clip of them on the back of the truck in NYC blasting "Brown Sugar".

They set the standards that all other bands follow. They are the originals. And that's why they're the damn best Rock'n'roll band in the world.

-tSYX --- How come ya taste so good?
10-28-02 11:01 AM
sandrew Art Garfunkel is irrelevant, useless and, obviously, brainless. Fleetwood Mac ranks higher than the Stones? That's idiotic. If you prefer the Beatles, fine. I'll disagree with you, but at least you'd have a case. But Fleetwood Mac? Come on...
10-28-02 11:04 AM
sirmoonie Art Garfunkel. Thats a good one! "Art Garfunkel." Holy piss on a pancake, thats funny!
10-28-02 11:08 AM
Boomhauer The problem is that some people (like Art Garfunkel) think that a band is only great if they break up after a few years together.

I can't believe they even ask this guy for interviews. Go put on your Best of Fleetwood Mac and listen to "Don't Stop" that yer boy BIll Clinton used.

[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-28-02 11:19 AM
Larry Dallas Art Garfunkel recently played a small private college here in Kentucky. I should have told him that Milli Vanilli had an opening. Simon and Garfunkel are the "eight or ninth" best duo of all time. I would place Brooks and Dunn ahead of them because they wear great shirts and hats.
10-28-02 11:28 AM
sirmoonie Peaches and Herbs are better than those bundt cake recipe swapping geeks. Garfunkel's problem is that he still hasn't come to terms with "that side" of himself. What a muff! I'd like to smash his Gallagher looking head into a trough of fried clam snot.
10-28-02 01:44 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! I've always liked Paul Simon. He does a great job interpreting musical styles but I could care less for that clown Garfunkal. I'm sure Simon would disagree with him (as usual) on this subject.
10-28-02 04:53 PM
Mickjagger1963 When Art gafunkel comes to Albany in a few months, I am going to go heckle him.

As for the Rusted Root singer, this gives me an excelletn oppurtunity to ask how many people here have heard of Rusted Root.. THEY are unbelieveable. I saw them live twice this summer, and if they toured with the Stones, it would be my dream come true, (well except the stones allmans and the dead in one show, but that wont happen) If you havaent heard of Rusted Root go Download some songs or buy a CD.
10-28-02 04:56 PM
Fiji Joe All more evidence that many musicians do not know the difference between rock n' roll and pop. Hell, I bet Art Garspunkal thinks he was a rock n' roller. Get a haircut numbnuts.
10-28-02 06:58 PM
Honky Tonker Nice voice, Art. Too bad you don't have anything to say. Paul Simon was the real talent of this pair. Art Garfunkel (funniest name and worst hair in music) couldn't draw the crowd the Stones normally play for with a month of shows. Fuck that wimp!
[Edited by Honky Tonker]
10-28-02 07:02 PM
Honky Tonker Boomhauer, you really hit the nail on the head. I like our Don't Stop a whole lot more than Fleetwood Mac's. Clinton sux (or at least Monica did), but Stevie Nicks looks a lot better than the Glimmer Twins!!!!
10-29-02 12:08 AM
Flash77 And I actually prefer Hall & Oates to Simon & Garfunkel. Haha. They did have more number one hits too!

10-30-02 12:25 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
we could call them jealous competitors.

ORRRRRR_ In the case of Fart Fuckknuckle, THE SHIT on The Stones boots. Bright eyes.....arrrrrrrrgggggggg! Stop it , stop it_ sounds fucking awful!!!!!!!