ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

REUTERS/Fred Prouser
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Atlanta setlist Return to archive
10-27-02 01:12 AM
CHIEFMOON Setlist: CONFIRMED

1. Brown Sugar
2. It's Only Rock And Roll
3. Start Me Up
4. Don't Stop
5. Tumbling Dice
6. Monkey Man
7. Angie
8. You Can't Always Get What You Want
9. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
10. I Can't Turn You Loose
11. Slipping Away
12. Happy
13. Sympathy For The Devil

B-Stage
14. When The Whip Comes Down
15. Little Red Rooster
16. You Got Me Rocking

Main stage
17. Gimme Shelter
18. Honky Tonk Women
19. Street Fighting Man
20. Jumping Jack Flash
21. Midnight Rambler
22. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

And one image:

10-27-02 10:57 AM
Jaxx REVIEW: Stones don't get old for crowd at the Ted
Sonia Murray - Staff
Sunday, October 27, 2002

Finally, some "Satisfaction" at Turner Field.

Though the memory of another World Series run snapped short still lingered, for more than two hours Saturday night the Rolling Stones electrified a crowd surely larger than the one that saw the Braves fight a losing battle with the San Francisco Giants weeks ago in this same stadium.

Blissfully weathered guitarist Keith Richards got the Stones' "Licks" tour lathered with the first casually strummed chords of "Brown Sugar." Drummer Charlie Watts and guitarist Ron Wood followed with Mick Jagger picking up the rear, strutting in like a golden chicken whose coop was lined with hot coals.

And from that moment on, it was over. All of the pre-concert Stones chatter mostly kept up by critics --- pointless.

Everybody in the $303 seats stood and sang along to "Start Me Up," and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with seemingly little concern that they were only adding more pounds to the fat bank accounts of the band behind the highest-grossing tour in the U.S. ever (in 1994).

The never-ending talk about the British foursome being too old to do this? Well, if they played like they'd been at this four decades, that'd be one thing. But the Stones approached the Atlanta stop of their first tour in three years with the vigor of unproven newcomers, a performance made better by a clarity you wouldn't expect in this venue.

Particularly on the nicely fleshed-out "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and the pulsing cover of "I Can't Turn You Loose" by "local lad" Otis Redding.

Taking it all in for the fifth time in 33 years were Gary and Gloria Lynn of east Cobb.

The couple had on matching khaki shirts with the dates and cities of all the Stones shows they had seen: West Palm Beach, Fla., Nov. 30, 1969 --- the same year they were married; July 1, 1975 --- the last time the Stones toured without an album of original material to promote, as they are now; and so on.

"They just endure," 54-year-old Gary explained. "They never get old."

Which means perhaps 15-year-old Elizabeth Bennett will be taking her kids to the Stones' next 40-year-anniversary tour. Last night the Norcross sophomore missed her Marist homecoming to join her 12-year-old brother Yancey and their parents for her first Stones experience.

"I like the 'Get Off of My Cloud' song," she offered, after having to think a minute about her favorite single in the band's catalog.

Now No Doubt --- the Stones' opening act --- their hits came easy. Even if the pop/ska band had a hard time connecting during its crisp 45-minute set.

"Just so you know, we're here to warm you guys up for the Rolling Stones," lead vocalist Gwen Stefani said patiently, though five songs into their set they had yet to elicit more than a respectful applause from the near 40,000 still noisily making their way to their seats.

Stefani had to understand, the last time folks filled this stadium, they didn't have much reason for being enthused.

10-27-02 03:53 PM
scope Another great review! Love the description of Keith being "Blissfully weathered" and Mick "strutting in like a golden chicken whose coop was lined with hot coals".
Ain't no stopping these guys! Thanks for posting Jaxx.
10-27-02 07:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More threads on the same

http://novogate.com/board/968/124026-1.html

and

http://novogate.com/board/968/122630-1.html
10-27-02 08:59 PM
kath curt!!! is that your shot of mick???? anybody here who doesn't know of chief moon's gallery should really check it out...this guy is THE BEST!!!
10-27-02 09:37 PM
kath yeah, i love him. we don't live very far from each other. one day we ran into each other at the coast...what are the chances?? i have two of his finest charlie shots hanging over my computer.....AND i made a gift of his shot of peter king to charlie in nyc....
[Edited by kath]
10-27-02 09:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I agree! He's also a great fan and one of the coolest persons I have ever met on the net!

This is the location of his website http://www.chief-moons-gallery.com/index.shtml

And of course he's permanently linked in our "photo space"
http://www.albec.net.mx/personales/rocksoff/photos.htm
10-28-02 04:51 AM
CHIEFMOON Why thank ya very much Kath,glad you like those ones of Charlie.
And thank you Voodoo for your kind reference to my site.

Sorry, the shot is not mine, but as soon as I have some they will be here first.
[Edited by CHIEFMOON]
10-28-02 02:42 PM
moy more pix

10-28-02 09:06 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Anyone know which LP the tunes before the Atlanta Show came from, eg. Mona
10-29-02 01:01 AM
Nasty Habits Mona is on Have Guitar will Travel, Checker LP 2974. Historians agree that this is probably the album the Stones pulled it from, considering that this record also contains "Cops and Robbers", which is also featured in the Stones preshow tape/cd/direct satellite feed from the giant broadcasting stonestongue in space that seems to be playing at ever concert. On the original album sleeve the song is called "I Need You Baby". My guess is that it became "Mona (I Need You Baby)" for everyone INCLUDING Bo Diddley after the Stones covered it and renamed it thus.

Have Guitar will Travel is a killer Bo Diddley album that USED to be out on Chess as a twofer CD with some other damn fine Bo Diddley album. Now I think it's avail. on the Chess Box and that Essential Bo Diddley compilation.

I do love the customized piped in music they're running before the shows. I didn't realize until Columbus that they run soul music before the opening act and that it was great, too.

I was going to write down all the songs and artists at the show so we could have a merry catalogging [sic] here, but I forgot, because I was too busy trying to find someplace to sneak off and smoke pot. I let you all down. Sorry.

Will you please forgive me?
10-29-02 01:42 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Thanks Nasty, I'll go off in search.
10-29-02 08:25 PM
Fiji Joe Of particular excellence, IMO, were their performances of Sympathy, When the Whip Comes Down and Midnight Rambler (what an encore).

And of special note, monkey boy Mick was in rare form.

10-30-02 06:44 AM
gmeister thanks for the set list, went to the msg show where keith gave us the great thru and thru, i have saw the boys many times and this was the first time i had got this one live, can anyone tell me were this has been done before if ever ?
10-30-02 07:02 PM
Jiff Wow! Nice review and excellent photos. Thanks. Getting pumped for the Tacoma show.
10-31-02 12:11 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
gmeister wrote:
thanks for the set list, went to the msg show where keith gave us the great thru and thru, i have saw the boys many times and this was the first time i had got this one live, can anyone tell me were this has been done before if ever ?

I was there also, this was the the song's PREMIER! Cool!!!