ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2002 RY/Rex Fearures
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Buddy Guy ~ "Cheaper to Keep 'Er'..." (nsc) Return to archive
October 24th, 2004 01:44 PM
parmeda DIVORCE HAS BUDDY GUY SINGING "Cheaper To Keep 'Er'"

Chicago SunTimes
October 24, 2004
BY ABDON M. PALLASCH - Legal Affairs Reporter

Blues legend Buddy Guy had just agreed to give his wife a multimillion-dollar settlement and considerable maintenance to settle their divorce case.

Then, Jennifer Guy's divorce lawyer, Enrico Mirabelli, asked Guy if he was going to write a redux of his signature hit, "Damn Right I Got the Blues" called "Damn Right I Got the 'Divorce' Blues."

No, Guy said, but he did have another new song. He said he was calling it "Cheaper to Keep 'Er," and he sang a few bars while strumming an air guitar for the assembled bailiffs, lawyers and his not-very-amused, newly ex-wife.

The terms of the settlement are confidential.

"It's settled, and I think that's best for everybody to just move forward," said Buddy Guy's attorney, David Levy of Kalcheim Schatz & Berger.

A ROLLS, A FERRARI AND A LEXUS

Both sides spent five days arguing about who gets which of the couple's five homes, including an 11,000-square-foot home that sits on 10 to 14 acres in Orland Park, and their cars -- a Rolls-Royce, a Ferrari and a Lexus.

There also were arguments about whether to consider the years from 1975 to 1991 -- when the Guys were together but not yet married -- or just the period since they married in 1991.

Buddy Guy filed for divorce in 2002.

Though they agreed not to disclose specifics of the settlement, Mirabelli of Nadler, Pritikin & Mirabelli did allow: "Mrs. Guy is not singing the blues."

$5 MILLION DOLLAR DIGS

Guy, 68, whose Blues bar Legends at 754 S. Wabash was host to Koko Taylor's birthday party last weekend, won his fifth Grammy Award this year for the acoustic album "Blues Singer." Other Grammys were for "Damn Right I've Got the Blues" and "Feels Like Rain."

Guy was born in Louisiana in a house that did not have running water until his teen years. He moved to Chicago and taught himself to play, watching Muddy Waters and blues legends by night as he drove a tow truck during the day.

A profile on Guy's Orland Park home that ran in Ebony in 2000 estimated its worth at $5 million and said it had 20 rooms -- a long way from his Lettsworth, La., roots.

"I walked in and it was home," Jennifer Guy was quoted as saying.

"She picks them, I just pay for them," Buddy Guy responded, laughing.
October 24th, 2004 03:35 PM
kath buddy's come along way...bless his heart. hope he gets to keep some of it.
October 24th, 2004 04:12 PM
luxury1 I shoulda hired her lawyer......