ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2002 RY/Rex Fearures
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Your Top 5 Live Stones Moments. Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 20th, 2004 07:31 PM
JumpingKentFlash Post your 5 favourit Stones live moments (Has to be at a concert you attended) here.

Mine (No particular order):

1.- When they opened with "Satisfaction" in Copenhagen 1998.

2.- When the giant screens rolled in in Copenhagen 2003.

3.- When they played "Little Queenie" at the B-stage in Copenhagen 1998.

4.- "Out of Control", Copenhagen 1998.

5.- "Midnight Rambler", Copenhagen 2003 (Mick's dancing, and the whole groove - WOOOOW!!!!!!!!).
October 20th, 2004 07:48 PM
Soldatti 1. Satisfaction (04/04/1998)
2. Memory Motel (04/04/1998)
3. Like A Rolling Stone (w/Dylan) (04/04/1998)
4. Out Of Control (04/04/1998)
5. the rest of the show

BTW I only attended to that show...
October 20th, 2004 07:49 PM
Mr. D I've only been at two shows from this tour, but my top 5...

1) Keith fucking up the opening riff to Brown Sugar, only to play gloriously the rest of the way.

2) Me saying to my pop that I would love to hear them play "Undercover". The next second, the boys blasted into it. The same exact thing happened two nights later, but the song this time was "Beast of Burden". Next time i see the Stones, I'm gonna try my luck with a song like Sway.

3) Seeing Midnight Rambler live.

4) The reaction the FU Center gave the opening piano to "Monkey Man"...it was amazing.

5) Leaving my first show (Vet), and my pop shook my hand and said "Son...you've just seen the greatest band to ever walk the earth."

I hope to have many more great Stones moments.
October 20th, 2004 08:08 PM
JumpingKentFlash Just so you know: I doesn't have to be on the Licks Tour. If you saw them in 1963, that's cool too.
October 20th, 2004 08:08 PM
gypsy Ohhh. I enjoyed reading your memories, Mr. D! Thanks for sharing them with us. I wish my dad would go to a Stones show with me.
October 20th, 2004 08:16 PM
Mr. D Thank's a bunch Gypsy. You truly are the godess of this board...not to mention a perfect SLOT!!
October 20th, 2004 08:34 PM
Gazza Off the top of my head :

1) the moment the curtains opened at my first show at Slane Castle in '82 and out they came. Nothing will ever top that for a sheer "fucking hell!" moment. Ever. They could have spent the next two hours playing "Popeye the sailor man" backwards for all I cared after that.

2) Keith singing "Its a long way to tipperary" in Dublin

3) The famous "Storm at Longchamps" show in Paris'95. Dancing hip to arse to "Sympathy For The Devil" in a torrential downpour with a sultry Frenchie was a particular highlight. The sight of Mick, Keith and Ronnie all wearing Al Capone-style gangster hats as they danced between the sheets of rain was also memorable

4) almost being crushed to death in front of the b-stage at the Stade de France in Paris in 1998 when the crowd behind us tried to surge forward to get a better view. Having been standing for 8 hours in a stadium so packed it was literally impossible even to crouch down let alone sit, my knees had almost seized by then. All that for 15 minutes. Was it worth it? Of course

5) "Sympathy" at Anaheim in November '02. Thunderously brilliant.
October 20th, 2004 08:51 PM
gypsy You lucky boy, Gazza. I wish I could have been there for event 2 on your list.

Oh, and yes! Thanks! Slottin' ain't easy, yo!
October 20th, 2004 09:10 PM
LadyJane Good thread but very difficult.

Songs:

1) "StarStar" in '75. My first show. Incredible.

2) "RubyTuesday" in '94 Voodoo Lounge Tour.

3) "You Got the Silver"..No Security

4) "Nearness of You"...SARS show

5) Any Some Girls Track...'78 Tour. Amazing.

Moments:

1)Seeing Mick perched on the top of the lotus petal stage as it opened.--1975.

2)Getting soaked by water after Mick taunted us for a few minutes---1975.

3)Shaking Keith's hand as he walked to the B Stage..--2002

4)The entire vibe of seeing the Stones play in the afternoon---1981.

5)Mick and Charlie...the last two to take the final bow at MGM Grand...final US show of Licks--2003

LJ.

October 20th, 2004 10:23 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gypsy wrote:
You lucky boy, Gazza. I wish I could have been there for event 2 on your list.

I wish I could have been there for ONE event on your list.
October 20th, 2004 10:53 PM
Madafaka All the dates that the guys played in Argentina.
Specially when I started listening to the Don't Fade Away first sounds on February 9, 1995, the first Rolling Stones show in Buenos Aires... Excellent moments!
Nothing can be compared to that day.
The worst moment was when they started to play Jumpin' Jack Flash the last day of the Voodoo Lounge Tour in Argentina, on February 16, 1995. About this moment I thought that they would never return to Buenos Aire, but they returned in 1998
October 20th, 2004 10:57 PM
corgi37 1. 1978. School. Had films to watch, and critique, for English. Saw Catch 22, Wake in Fright - couple of others. English teacher was a hippie left over. Loved the Stones. Got a print of Hyde Park 69. Now, i knew of the Stones, of course. My jaw was gaping for the hour. I couldnt believe i was seeing some thing so cool. And, it was a shit show! hahaha. Sympathy had me in a coma. I was awe struck. I turned to my mate and said "Thats the greatest thing i have ever seen". He nodded. We have been nuts since. Then, Miss You came out. I bought the single, then the 12". That Christmas, i got the Decca box-set, with bonus t-shirt. I was fucked after that. So, seeing Hyde Park has changed (ruined?) my life.

2. Tour announcement in 94. Heard it on radio driving home, and nearly crashed car. 1st Aussie tour for 22 years it would be. I could hardly talk as friend after friend rang me. My sister rang me. My mum rang me. "Did you know who is touring?". "Yes, i fucking know!!". hahaha.
3. The day of the 1st show in 95. Couldnt concentrate at work. Radio station 3MMM played them all day. DJ, Richard Stubbs (the number one Melbourne DJ at the time, a tv host and Stones nut) came on at 4pm. He was broadcasting from the Melbourne Cricket Ground - the concert venue. He was hysterical. He said; "Their here. Their on tonight. Here's the Stones. Turn your radio up LOUD!!" He then played Brown Sugar and i cried as i cranked my radio up full blast as i drove home.
4. Seeing the puppets during Sympathy in 95, then 1-2 songs later, during SFM, they began to "dance". I cried.
5. 8 rows from the front in Feb 03. Got to within 5 rows. Wife shook hands with Keith & Ron.
October 20th, 2004 11:03 PM
BILL PERKS 8-31-89 VET STADIUM..FINALLY ON STAGE AFTER WAITING SO LONG..NOTHING WILL EVER TOP IT FOR ME.
October 21st, 2004 02:12 AM
marko 1:gothenburg 3rd of august 1990,to me the best stadium show,
even they didn´t play at the well know Ullevi,the actually
played at the gothenburgs harbour area.I remember Madonna
played their earlier in the summer as well.I was only 18 and
stayed up for 72hours,straight.Nothing beats the feeling,when boys came out,after continental drift,and cranked start me up loud.Aud was jumping up&down the 1st 40mins.It was hot and humid august night.I ahd no hotel,just
my clothes&money.I remember calling my,that time girlfriend,
when i got back home,she didn´t know.I was singing and drinkin my voice off.Still don´t remembet anything about the
boat trip between sweden&finland.

2:Shepherds bush,LOL,after drinkin HEAVILY straight vodka&whiskey(bushmills)2litres...my first and only time in
London,terrible hangover,and my mates send me to wait get
tix for shepherds bush show....funny thing was,never been
there i had no fucking idea where i actually was.Got the
tix for myself and to my mates.

3:Cirkus crone 2003,just to be there,best show i ever seen,
even i personally think,likcs was one of the worst.

4.Bremen 1998,possibly the ONLY finish at the stadium,and it
was broadcasted all over the world.EX stadium show.

5.Helsinki aiprport-Helsinki hotel 1998:ME and couple of mates,DROVE in the STONES own line of cars.Saw Mick with Jerry,Gabriel was only like 9months or so.Jerry was holding
him.I showed my steel wheels jacket to Mick,he waved back.
AT the Hotel,there was bunch of people seeing them.I saw,Keith,Ronnie,Jerry,Lisa,Bernard etc,but i concentraded on BOBBY,propably because he was the easiest one to catch.
Damb he was drunk,so was Ronnie&keith.
I said to Bobby welcome to Finland,Bobby replied:ENGLAND?
He was with some women,i tought that its his wife,i asked her,are you his wife/woman,she said,thank go no!

6.Driving from Finland to munich.Thru poland.
October 21st, 2004 02:47 AM
Angiegirl 1. My Keef-moment at Shepherds Bush (London), June 8, 1999. My first club-show, and maybe just managing to get that ticket should in itself be my no. 1 moment (Gazza'll know what I'm talking about ), but anyway:

I was standing (well, crushed into the front fence) front row; low stage; Stones about 2 meters away!! After Before They Make Me Run Keith kneeled down at the front of the stage and reached out to put his guitar pic in one of the many hands that were reached towards him. I yelled 'Keith, over here please!!' and I'm tall, so that helps, and he heard me, looked at me and pushed some hands aside and he put the plectrum inside my hand and he pushed my fingers together so I wouldn't lose it, then he winked at me :-)!!! I was so ecstatic that I, of course, lost the pick anyway...and dropped it on the floor. I paniced, tried to get the attention of the security guy, and after 5 minutes he finally understood and picked up the plectrum and gave it to me. But I was so crushed to the fence that I couldn't get my hand down to put it in my pocket. But luckily I managed to keep it and I still treasure it!!

2. Going to New York City all by myself at 24 to see 2 shows at Madison Square Garden. Front non-VIP row twice, yay!

3. My very first show in Rotterdam (Holland) on May 21, 1990: Mick's blue guitar, his bad haircut and 2000 Light Years From Home. I was 15 and not aware that my mouth had dropped open.

4. Managing to get a ticket for l'Olympia Paris on July 11 last year after 2 days of waiting and hoping in agony outside. And That's How Strong My Love Is, we were there with a rather large group of Dutch friends (all Stones crazy) and every single one of 'em had tears in their eyes .

5. Being devastated when I didn't manage to get tickets for the Paradiso club shows (Amsterdam) in May '95. Not my best memory (...) but definitely one that won't fade anytime soon!
October 21st, 2004 03:10 AM
erikjjf 1. My first show (Stockholm 1995). Mick strutting out looking tres cool with Charlie beating along.
Towards the end of JJF, Keith jumped down on this platform between the main stage and the crowd and was riffing away like crazy about 1 metre away from me. Oh, and my friend caught Charlie's drum stick.

2. Watching the soundcheck in an empty Stockholm Globe arena, 1998. Tumbling Dice – Paint It Black – Little Queenie.

3. Hartford 1999. You Got The Silver….Some Girls…I Got The Blues played for the first time since the Marquee 1971 show.

4. The Roseland show. That’s How Strong My Love Is….She Smiled Sweetly…

5. The Cirkus Krone show. Worried About You….The Nearness Of You….
October 21st, 2004 07:38 AM
Gazza some of you bastards are cheating by describing moments that didnt actually occur during the concerts (or in Erik's case, the soundcheck)!

If you're going to include non-concert experiences, then I'd have to say meeting up with people from different corners of the world over the last 20 years who share a similar level of lunacy regarding this band as I do. (although its the ones with a HIGHER level of lunacy that I'm wary of!) In the last 5 or 6 years especially, thats been every bit as much a part of the whole experience as the music.

God, I've come over all emotional now...**sniff**....
October 21st, 2004 07:48 AM
Gazza >My Keef-moment at Shepherds Bush (London), June 8, 1999. My first club-show, and maybe just managing to get that ticket should in itself be my no. 1 moment (Gazza'll know what I'm talking about ), but anyway:

Christ - tell me about it. I'd just met you briefly on the train down from Sheffield and the four of us were sharing a cab to Tower Records for the ticket sale, not knowing if there would be enough tickets to go around and you're sitting there rhyming off all these club shows that you'd JUST missed out on getting to (Paradiso, Olympia, Brixton) and I'm sitting there thinkin' "we're not gonna get tickets for this show. This girl is bad luck!".

Fortunately, we all got lucky. And I dont think I saw or heard of you again until you showed up here over two years later!
October 21st, 2004 08:30 AM
F505 These moments are innumerable, but anyway:

1. Keith's intro of Still a Fool (Paradiso 1995)
2. Mick singing Worried about you (pimples) (Utrecht, Vredenburg 03)
3. Keith opening Midnight Rambler (De Kuip 1990)
4. Ernie Watts' sax solo in YCAGWYW (De Kuip 1982)
5. The first time I heard Love in van live (Landgraaf 1995)
October 21st, 2004 09:42 AM
J.J.Flash You guys forgot that outrageous Leavell's freaking out on MSG last year......
October 21st, 2004 12:47 PM
Nasty Habits I think most of these have been hashed out in the past, but nostalgia's good for a nostalgia act . . .

Brown Sugar at the FUC '03. The entire show was completely brilliant and it all built to this . . . In the middle of the arena, all energy focused on that one small spot - - - the crowd starts the "Yeah Yeah Woo"'s before Jagger even gets to that part, so once the band gets there the energy raised even higher. Once it's "over" Keith keeps playing and tells Jagger to "do it again!" Jagger reprises it again, finger waggling in the air, and I thought the roof was going to blow off the top of the place. I think this became the standard arrangement for the Licks version of BS, but it was born right there that night. Never been a part of a bigger swell of energy in a room than that moment. It gave legitimacy to the whole stupid arena rock format and also shamed any fool who bitches about the hot rocks when at a show like this mutual exhange of energy is ultimately what it's about.

Hearing Out of Control for the first time at the opening show in Chicago, B2B. When the harmonica came in at the end I thought my head asplode. A genuine live killer from the post-89 Stones.

Little Queenie/Last Time/Let It Bleed -- Same show.

Genuinely naughty spontaneous dance/grope with gorgeous total stranger on the floor of Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City during Midnight Rambler Steel Wheels '89.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking Tower Theater '03 -- the instrumental section was sheer voodoo. During Ronnie's solo Jagger was over stage left doing this weird shimmery shit with his hands. Keith was amazingly sympathetic on his rhythm part. Charlie was groove incarnate. It was so good.
October 21st, 2004 01:31 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Christ - tell me about it. I'd just met you briefly on the train down from Sheffield and the four of us were sharing a cab to Tower Records for the ticket sale, not knowing if there would be enough tickets to go around and you're sitting there rhyming off all these club shows that you'd JUST missed out on getting to (Paradiso, Olympia, Brixton) and I'm sitting there thinkin' "we're not gonna get tickets for this show. This girl is bad luck!".

Fortunately, we all got lucky. And I dont think I saw or heard of you again until you showed up here over two years later!

Yeah, you provided some good luck!!!
October 21st, 2004 01:44 PM
Mikey 1. My first show - Philly 1989 at the Vet. I was 17 and had camped out at a local West Coast Video parking lot for three days and got eighth row. I remember anxiously watching the crew breakdown Living Color's set and setting up the Stones stuff and waiting and waiting and waiting. ("There's Charlie's yellow drum kit, Keith's amps are on the right because there's a skull on top")
Finally, after the crew has been absent from the stage for some time and at 8:50 PM...........the stadium lights go out and the place erupts like I have never heard before. The Vet was so loud and raucous that I thought it was going to fall down. The Stones haven't played anywhere in 7 years and 7 years of pent-up energy was suddenly released. "Continental Drift" is coming in through the speakers, getting louder and louder and louder, while the stage lights are simultanelusly increasing their intensity and frequency......
Finally, a huge boom and the wall of fire shoots up! I can still feel the heat on my face.........
"HERE COMES KEITH" - START ME UP!

2. Same show - watching Mick go over a grab something and bringing it to his mouth......some harp lines....could it be.....yes, Midnight Rambler

3. No Security show - first night in Oakland. I loved the intro "secruity" footage and then a vicious JJF intro.

4. Oakland, 1994 Vooodoo Lounge at the Colisieum. EVERYBODY was rocking.

5. #1 - repeat
October 21st, 2004 04:10 PM
glencar 1. Philly 1981 First show of the tour & my personal first. Sucky seats but I was verklempt for days after. Didn't have much monet then & $30 seemed like a lot. Well worth it.

2. The 2003 Dublin Shows. Keith doing "Tipperary" & the Corrs girl screwing up the lyrics to Wild Horses. The second night was a btter show musically but wow, what a time!

3. 1997 Las Vegas MGM I took a shitload of photos even though Mr. Security man gave me static. Mick had just gotten to the B-stage & was laughing it up & gave a slight wave.

4. 2002 Hartford My sister had just recovered from cancer surgery & couldn't attend the Fleet Center opener. That was a rough & tumble show but it had a great set list. The Hartford show was superb & we had 10th row seats. The Strokes opened up.

5. 1989 Cleveland My second time seeing the band & in a dull midwestern city like Cleveland, this show was a MAJOR event. Tied with this is MSG first show in Jan. 1998. Not a great show but boy did I get plastered! We started out in crappy seats & worked our way down to the B-stage where I watched a great set with only one contact lens as I'd lost the right eye lens earlier in the night. Thank God for Lasik.
October 21st, 2004 05:13 PM
tumbling dice 1-My first show in Rome 90 was hypnotic,when i saw the legends in front of me i became crazy.i don't slept after the show.(song-Start me up)
2-When they played in Brazil for the first time.The gig was under a heavy rain in Săo Paulo and i was very high! (song-Tumbling dice)
3-Buenos Aires 98,amazing crowd! (song-under my thumb)
4-Rio 98,they played with Bob Dylan and the audience got nuts!(song-Like a rolling stone)
5-Hamburg 2003,The open riff of Can't you hear me knocking was a surprise and i love this song a lot,Mick did a long harmonica solo,Bobby and Ronnie were fantastic too.
October 21st, 2004 06:37 PM
Mottrush
In no particular order:

1. Helping put the cover over Charlie's drum kit with fmk438j afer show (Melbourne 27th Feb 2003).

2. Hand slap from Keith after "B stage" (Melbourne 1st March 2003).

3. Front row whilst Mick leading the crowd in the chorus for YGAGWYW on a hot summer's night surrounded by beautiful women (Stockholm Stadion 18th July 2003).

4. Row 5, center stage, whilst Keith(having ripped his shirt off)kneeling in front of me belting out the riff for JJF ( Sydney 1st April 1995).

5. Hand slap from Mick during "B Stage" (Melbourne 27th Feb 2003).

All moments unforgettable!!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
October 21st, 2004 07:07 PM
Gimme Shelter 1. During the "Bridges To Babylon" tour in '97 the Stones played four nights at the Oakland Coliseum. I went to all four shows. On the final night after Keith finished "All About You", he received a huge ovation from the crowd. He said to the audience, "God, bliss you." I was in the second row and I yelled back "God, bliss you Keith." He turned around looked right at me and pointed to me in acknowledgment.

2. During the same show, as the Stones walked on the ramp to the b-stage I managed to shake hands with all of them.

3. The first time I saw them live was at the Oakland coliseum in '89 during the "Steel Wheels" tour, when they first took the stage after the big exposion and began playing "Start Me Up" is a moment I will never forget. To finally see my heroes in person.

4. Both "No Security" shows that took place at the Arco Arena in Sacramento in '99. They played some rare live stuff at both shows. Like "Undercover", "Just My Imagination", "Route 66", and also its the smallest place I have ever seen them live. I saw Keith in '93 at the Paramount theatre in Seattle which was a small venue, but Arco is the smallest place I have seen the Stones.

5. When they played "No Expectations" at the HP Pavilion in San Jose in '03. They only played it a few times on the Licks tour.
October 22nd, 2004 10:59 AM
kmc philly '69 - first time seeing live in concert - can still the "uncle sam" hat for JJ FLASH. still it was mick's best show outfit ever.

msg '69 - the "breakfast show" - while the night shows were great, my friend took his mother to the 11 a.m. friday one. she wanted to see what we were so crazy about. she was greek and thought PAINT IT BLACK was a greek melody.

msg '72 - last show of a great tour - mick's birthday - ended with the UPTIGHT/SATISFACTION medley and then stevie wonder's band and stones throw cake all over each over. poor stevie was jumping up and down smiling with cake all over him.

msg '72 - leaning on a 4 foot high stage - last tour for that height - opening night, group had all run off after finishing STREET FM but keith just kept playing with his eyes closed for another full minute.

wash.d.c. '72 - july 4, mick marched on stage in rfk stadium with a tri-corner hat accompanied by two flag bearing rev. war patriots.

msg. '75 - mick hanging on to the opening lotus petal stage while keith played an extended opening riff to HT WOMEN.
October 22nd, 2004 12:02 PM
T&A 1) Seattle 10/15/81 - second show (first really didn't count the day before - up in the rafters). LIB was particularly a great moment. There's really nothing like the first time, eh?

2) Boston 9/8/02 Orpheum - next to John Kerry, in front of Bill Murray. As Wembley said, you really had to be there. Parachute Woman was to die for....I almost did.

3) Wiltern 11/4/03 - hanging right on the catwalk, Mick sweating on me. Highlight moment? SCB.

4) Oakland Arena 1/27/99 - Opening night - anticipation incredible - Some Girls debut was sublime.

5) Portland 1/31/98 - right down at the b-stage - Queenie was hot, hot, hot - Ronnie yakking at us during the song.

[Edited by T&A]
October 22nd, 2004 12:03 PM
TMR Meeting Martha at the Cleveland 2002 show.

I don't have enough time spent with the Stones, but maybe I will in the time to come.
Page: 1 2