ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2002 RY/Rex Fearures
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What? Oh sure...another drinking thread...Part 7 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
August 21st, 2004 11:35 AM
M.O.W.A.T.

Actually, it's pretty good wine!
August 21st, 2004 01:02 PM
LadyJane I think the members of the RO Drinking Thread should be hired to test this device!!

Liquor Inhaler Debuts Alcohol-Free in NYC

Sat Aug 21, 7:03 AM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By MADISON J. GRAY, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Fruit-infused water and Gatorade — not vodka and whiskey — were the inhalants offered at the Manhattan debut of a controversial new device that lets drinkers take vaporized shots of alcohol, and opponents want to make sure the machines stay liquor-free.

The machine, the Alcohol Without Liquid vaporizer, or AWOL, lets its users inhale liquor by mixing it with pressurized oxygen. The machine's makers say it takes about 20 minutes to inhale one vaporized shot, leaving users euphoric, but not drunk, without the aftereffects of alcohol.

"I would do this because I'm a non-drinker, but I'm looking for a buzz," said Peter Rosegarten, 37, who sat on a couch at the Manhattan nightspot Trust and breathed in the AWOL sans-liquor on Friday night. "I feel like the oxygen gives you a lightheaded feeling."

Distributor Kevin Morse poured nonalcoholic fruit drinks into the inhalers on display at Friday's debut because he said state law doesn't allow liquor to be stored in anything but its original container.

"I do think the public is ready for this," said Morse, president of Greensboro, N.C.-based Spirit Partners, adding that the machines were "just a new way to try" alcohol.

Even if the public is ready, businesses may not be. Bar and lounge owners in New York don't know if they will display the machine yet because of legal issues, said Bob Zuckerman, executive director of the New York Nightlife Association.

"We don't know if this device is legal and in addition we don't know if it is safe," Zuckerman said. "Our members and most bar owners are responsible and I'm sure they'll tread very carefully before putting a device such as this in their establishments."

Existing state law is not the only obstacle the machine faces. Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano has said he wants the AWOL machine prohibited for fear it will attract underage drinkers, and State Sen. Carl Kruger has pledged to introduce legislation to ban it.

Kruger sent a letter to Attorney General Eliot Spitzer saying the machine, which is manufactured in England, "is a disaster waiting to happen." Kruger called it a "new form of pipe smoking."

"It becomes a whole enforcement issue," he said. "The way we test alcohol levels will be skewed and so will all the direction we've taken in this state to lower blood alcohol levels."

Morse said using the inhaler would not skew blood alcohol tests and asserted that his company has no plans to sell the inhaler for home use. "We don't want anything to do with underage people," he said. "It's adults we are marketing to."

Spitzer's office declined comment, saying the issue has been referred to the New York State Liquor Authority. A message left for the Liquor Authority was not immediately returned.

Sounds good to me!!

LJ.
August 21st, 2004 01:35 PM
egon this thread is kicking off nicely. i like it.

have to say lj; i like my alcohol out of a bottle.
preferably a green one :-)
August 21st, 2004 02:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
August 21st, 2004 02:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Cartoon Disclaimer.

Shit. I made a mistake. I thought that "ugly Chick" was an "ugly dude" when I first posted it. It doesn't seem quite so funny now.
August 21st, 2004 04:08 PM
gypsy I think it's a dude with a nice rack.
August 21st, 2004 09:45 PM
Bloozehound Whats better than Newcastle Ale ?

Free Newcastle Ale!

a buddy left a near full 12'er in the fridge last weekend. Never been my fav brew, but not too bad either.

Heading out to the Hard Rock Cafe to see a friends band open for some other band. What ? Keef's cowboys boots are on display over the bar, it can't be that bad.

August 21st, 2004 10:19 PM
sirmoonie Just because its captioned as a drinking thread, doesn't mean that other modes of substance abuse aren't welcome.

The "Ronnie Doctrine" - man can begin abusing one addictive agent to end an addiction and abuse of another. Pure goddam fucking genius.

August 21st, 2004 10:37 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
egon wrote:
2 heinekens and it's not even 1700 hours yet.
it's a good day today!

Will you ever stop drinking Heineken???
I went to see Flip the Switch tonite. Only Heineken...(((
August 21st, 2004 11:21 PM
gypsy Thanks, sirmoonie...I felt like such a loser since I'm not a drinker. But I figured my cocaine and pain pill addictions more than made up for it. Thanks for confirming what I've thought all along.
[Edited by gypsy]
August 21st, 2004 11:30 PM
beer am currently on the wagon.
August 22nd, 2004 01:04 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
beer wrote:
am currently on the wagon.

I hear you, my friend. My P.O. is a fucker too, man. Motherfucker one time jacked for 30 to 90 clinks one time just because he found a goddam bent spoon in the bathroom! I told the mercenary government bastard some other motherfucker must have been using it to unclog the sink, but he weren't listening as such. Weren't listening at all. Fucker. Fuck him!

Good luck to you, beerie.
August 22nd, 2004 06:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Promotion is whiter shade of pale

Commentary by Michael S. Miller

As is the case with a lot of bad ideas, the intentions behind a recent beer promotion were good, if you can call promoting mass suicide through alcohol "good."

Miller Brewing wanted to celebrate the ''50th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll'' with eight commemorative beer cans that feature Rolling Stone magazine cover shots.

There have been thousands of artists who produced Rock music, and there have been more than 950 issues of Rolling Stone. From this spectrum of cultural revolution, Miller Brewing chose these artists to represent Rock: Elvis Presley, Blondie, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Willie Nelson and the guitars of Eric Clapton and Joe Walsh.

Huh.

Although you could argue for days whether the recording of Elvis' "That's Alright, Mama," is the pinpoint anniversary of Rock's birth (several contenders predate that record by five or more years), you'd never argue against Elvis himself deserving enshrinement in any history of the music. I'll even grant you a spot for Eric Clapton, although it would be at the expense of several more deserving artists.

But Willie Nelson? Blondie? Bon Jovi? Def Leppard? Alice Cooper?

Willie Nelson?

Miller Brewing, your demographics are showing.

By now, you should notice a glaring omission in the beer can line-up. Even though black musicians are as responsible for creating Rock music as any white musicians, no black artists were chosen for the "honor" of being on one of the cans.

I doubt Miller Brewing and Rolling Stone set out to intentionally court charges of racism; Gary Armstrong, chief marketing officer for Rolling Stone publisher Wenner Media, said race wasn't a consideration when choosing the artists.

''We just went with the people that we thought were appropriate,'' he said. ''We went through (the covers) and said these people we don't think are appropriate, or wouldn't appeal to Miller drinkers.''

So, they discarded people who "wouldn't appeal to Miller drinkers," like, you know, black people? Yikes.

Miller spokesman Scott Bussen said the company started with a broad wish list, but its choices were limited to Rolling Stone covers.

''I'm sure that our objective was to get as diverse a representation of musical acts as well as diversity,'' he said.

I'm not sure a company that excludes black people from its advertising should use the word "diversity" twice in the same sentence, unless the words "none, ever" are attached.

Who is so ignorant of Rock history as to think a sliding scale from Bon Jovi to Joe Walsh represents diversity?

Maybe Miller Brewing will branch out into beer cans celebrating the history of baseball that only include Al Campanis and maybe John Rocker in his various team uniforms. Or, they could celebrate the history of movies with cans that feature scenes from "Birth of a Nation," "Gone With the Wind" and Al Jolson in blackface.

My initial impulse was to blast the artists involved for letting their images be used in an alcohol promotion so misguided and insulting to the legacy of Rock music. The artists weren't paid to appear on the cans, although some received "perks" such as free beer or magazine subscriptions. That "compensation" is so pathetic as to defang any attack on their sad rewards for promoting one of the big death wish products.

Perhaps Miller Brewing can make things right with a special "Alcoholics and Addicts of Rock" series featuring images of Keith Richards, Keith Moon, Bon Scott, Ozzy Osbourne and Ike Turner.

Well, they wouldn't use Ike Turner. He wouldn't appeal to Miller drinkers.

Michael S. Miller, news editor of The Daily Telegram, can be reached at 265-5111 ext. 256, or by e-mail at [email protected].
August 22nd, 2004 07:51 AM
Bloozehound this drinking tread sux
August 22nd, 2004 08:27 AM
stewed & Keefed

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum short-drink recipes

Big Pine Puss recipe

1 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1/2 oz Banana Liqueur
1 splash Rose's Lime Juice
1 splash Grenadine
1 splash Cranberry Juice

Make shot in mixing glass with ice and strain into a shot glass.

25% (50 proof)
Serve in: Shot Glass
Cable Car recipe

1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Sweet and Sour Mix

Combine everything in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

20% (40 proof)
Serve in: Cocktail Glass

Captain Morgan's Steamy Applec...

4 oz Apple Cider
1/2 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1/2 oz Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay
1/2 oz DeKuyper Sour Apple Pucker

Start with hot or steamed apple cider. Add equal parts apple pucker schnapps, spiced rum and coconut rum(parrot bay). Stir.

6% (12 proof)
Serve in: Irish Coffee Cup
Captain With A Skirt recipe

2 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
2 oz White Wine
Fill with Coca-Cola
1 slice Lime
Ice Cubes

Mix Captain Morgan's and white wine in a glass. Add Coke and ice. Garnish with a slice of lime.

Serve in: Old-Fashioned Glass

Captain's Colada recipe

1/2 cup Crushed Ice
3 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Cream of Coconut
1 1/4 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

Combine captain morgan's, cream of coconut and pineapple juice in a blender with ice for 10-15 seconds. Pour into a goblet and garnish with a pineapple spear, if desired.

8% (16 proof)
Serve in: Wine Goblet
Captains Pie recipe

3 oz Ginger Ale
3 oz Apple-Cranberry Juice

Pour the ginger ale and cranapple juice together into a glass. Add the rum, and serve.

5% (10 proof)

Cinnamon Toast recipe

1 1/4 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
6 oz hot Apple Cider

Rim an old-fashioned glass with sugar and cinnamon. Add hot cider and rum, and serve.

6% (12 proof)
Dewing the Captain recipe

12 oz Mountain Dew

Pour Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum over crushed ice. Add Mountain Dew.

2% (4 proof)

Fuka recipe

1 oz Malibu Coconut Rum
2 oz Dole Orange Juice
2 oz Dole Pineapple Juice
1 tsp Grenadine

Pour all contents in glass over cubed ice and mix together.

9% (18 proof)
Happy Skipper recipe

1 1/2 cl Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
Ginger Ale

Pour captain morgan's spiced rum over ice and fill the glass with ginger ale. Garnish with lime.

PEZ recipe

1 part Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1 part Chambord Raspberry Liqueur
1 part Sweet and Sour Mix

Mix ingredients together over ice in a tumbler. Shake well, and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Adjust sour mix ratio to taste.

17% (34 proof)
Serve in: Whiskey Sour Glass
Pirate's Float recipe

1 1/2 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1 1/2 oz Root Beer Schnapps
Coca-Cola

Mix all ingredients in a glass with ice. Add cola, to taste, and serve on the rocks.

Selena Jo recipe

1 shot Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1 shot Amaretto Almond Liqueur
4 crushed Ice Cubes

Put the crushed ice in glass first then add the Captain Morgan then add the Amaretto then top off with Coke.

31% (62 proof)
Serve in: Cordial Glass
Shark Bite recipe

3/4 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
3/4 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
1 1/2 oz Sweet and Sour Mix
3 drops Grenadine

Fill a shaker with ice. Add the spiced rum, light rum, sour, and blue curacco. Shake the ingredients well. Strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with three drops of grenadine.

20% (40 proof)

Shark's Nipple recipe

1/4 part Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1/4 part Mountain Dew
1/2 part Cranberry Juice
3 Ice Cubes

Pour rum in over the ice, fill approximately to halfway with Mt. Dew, fill with cranberry juice, then mix again.

8% (16 proof)
Sienna recipe

3/4 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1/2 oz Amaretto Almond Liqueur
2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Ginger Ale

Pour ingredients over ice cubes in a tall wine glass, and serve.

9% (18 proof)
Serve in: White Wine Glass

Spiced Cherry recipe

1 1/2 shots Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
6 oz Cherry Cola

Pour spiced rum into a glass, fill with cherry coke, and stir.

7% (14 proof)
Serve in: Cordial Glass
The Boiling Panther recipe

2 shots Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
Dr. Pepper

Pour shots into an old-fashioned glass. Fill with dr. pepper or mountain dew, mix and serve.

The Captains Silver Sunrise re...

1 shot Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum
1 1/2 shots Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay
1 splash Orange Juice
1 splash Cranberry Juice

Pour ingredients over ice: Capt. Morgan Silver - Parrot Bay - orange juice - cranberry juice.

25% (50 proof)
The Incredible Hulk recipe

2 oz Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1 tbsp Sugar
2 liters Mountain Dew

Add captain morgan to glass. Add sugar. Add mountain dew until the mix turns green.

0% (0 proof)

Or just drink it right out of the bottle

August 22nd, 2004 12:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Captain Morgan's is gross....I mean, my wife likes Captain Morgan's. Blech!

I got some evil stuff that I found in Grenada. 157 proof. Dark rum spiced with nutmeg. Iron Jack, it's called. Now that stuff will make your liver quiver. You can either drink it, remove varnish with it, or use it to cauterize wounds. I brought a big bottle home with me a few years ago...I still have about half the bottle. The shit will turn your lights out in a hurry. It tastes terrible, but who the hell drinks for the taste??? The buzz is monumental...heavy on the mental part.
August 22nd, 2004 02:58 PM
gypsy Your wife makes me sad, SS. Do you think she drinks that just to annoy you?
August 22nd, 2004 05:26 PM
egon rose, rose wi-hinneeee
stay close to meeeeee
August 23rd, 2004 01:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy...

No, I think she likes it because it does not taste like booze. Of course, that is exactly why I don't like it. If I'm going to drink booze, I want it to taste like booze.

She drinks fruit flavored wine to annoy me. Why the fuck anyone would want to drink strawberry wine is beyond me.
August 23rd, 2004 11:33 AM
Joey
Here I IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back from the " Lucinda Williams " concert !

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?! , Oh .....SURE :

1)Exile
2)SF
3)LIB
4)BB
5)SG
6)GHS
7)Tattoo
8)ER
9)IORR
10)Steel Wheels

" Baby Steel Magnolia Ronnie ?!?!?! "

Purscee Joe !
August 23rd, 2004 12:30 PM
egon
quote:
Joey wrote:

Here I IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back from the " Lucinda Williams " concert !

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?! , Oh .....SURE :

1)Exile
2)SF
3)LIB
4)BB
5)SG
6)GHS
7)Tattoo
8)ER
9)IORR
10)Steel Wheels

" Baby Steel Magnolia Ronnie ?!?!?! "

Purscee Joe !

Joey
August 23rd, 2004 12:31 PM
glencar LOL Joey gets asked that all the time.
August 23rd, 2004 02:13 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL Joey gets asked that all the time.

August 23rd, 2004 03:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 29MILLION DAYS LOST TO DRINK Aug 23 2004
Mirror

HUNGOVER staff lose business £2.8billion a year - and the cost will rise with 24-hour drinking, a poll said yesterday.

Each year, 29 million days are swallowed by sickies and slow work caused by a thick head.

Fifty-one per cent of workers said all-day drinking would be bad for businesses.

Shop staff said their line of work was most at risk when drinking law relaxes next year.

More women - 35 per cent - than men - 26 per cent - said a work hangover is acceptable.

Alcohol Concern said: "Staff who go out drinking excessively are more likely to under-perform or call in sick next day."

Internet recruitment firm reed.co.uk polled 8,450 workers.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
August 23rd, 2004 03:44 PM
gypsy Who says those days were "lost?"
How about how many days are lost due to work?
August 23rd, 2004 03:46 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Who says those days were "lost?"
How about how many days are lost due to work?

Amen My Princess !

WWWWWWWWHat ?!?!?! ....Oh , .. sure !!! .. Here ya be :

www.TinaJordan.com

August 25th, 2004 01:06 PM
LadyJane 48 hours since a post to the Drinking Thread!

That's just not right!

I can report that my 4 day weekend involved HEAVY consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Thank you!

LJ.
August 25th, 2004 01:31 PM
egon
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

I can report that my 4 day weekend involved HEAVY consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Thank you please!

Lj, i'm just taking a power nap. Trust me, things WILL heat up when we get closer to the weekend.
August 25th, 2004 02:15 PM
nankerphelge You will all be happy to know that your nanky just kicked yet another keg of Brown Ale at his favorite watering hole!!

Yes I have lost track of which keg number this is, but it must be in the hundreds by now.

Hugs & kisses

nanky!
August 25th, 2004 03:05 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
You will all be happy to know that your nanky just kicked yet another keg of Brown Ale at his favorite watering hole!!

I would like to nibble your elbows
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17