ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2002 RY/Rex Fearures
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What? Oh sure...another drinking thread...Part 7 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
September 29th, 2004 09:34 AM
nankerphelge Outstanding!

Wonder if they have hangover cures -- my haid is a bit fat this morning!
September 29th, 2004 01:04 PM
telecaster http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/01-04/01-04-40-things.htm

Isn't that a great site? The archives are funny as hell

I heard a DJ talking about how Jack Daniels had quietly lowered the proof from 86 to 80 and he referenced this site

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/md_editors_rant.htm

Enjoy!
September 29th, 2004 02:08 PM
Bloozehound Telecaster that's a kool site, I've seen it before, but forgot about it until now.

I came across it late one night surfing the net & listening to the Art Bell show, Bell was talking about Jackie Gleason and ufo's. I did an internet search on this, and came across this little (non ufo related) ditty,

Who's the greatest boozer of all time?

Charles
“The Battlin' Barfly”
Bukowski
Vs.
Jackie
“The Jolly Juicer”
Gleason

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/04_03/04-03-clash-of-tightest.htm

There's other match ups with famous drunks of the past, some of them are pretty funny.
September 29th, 2004 03:06 PM
nankerphelge Sweet Virginia:

SEPTEMBER 29--Earlier this month, the staff, faculty, and Board of Trustees at Virginia's private Alexandria Country Day School had a Mexican-themed dinner complete with some tasty margaritas. For some reason, the leftover hooch was placed in a school refrigerator. You can probably guess what's coming next. On September 10, the booze was mistaken for "limeade" by school workers and actually served at lunch to students in the third, fourth, and fifth grades. The below letter from school head Alexander Harvey was sent home with the kids. The margarita mixup came after the school ran out of milk and apparently had no negative affect of the students, who "sipped it and said that it didn't taste good." They're young, they'll learn. An embarrassed and contrite Harvey promised that booze will now be banned on campus and all faculty parties will be held off-site.
September 29th, 2004 04:06 PM
caro Funny all the things you can pass off as a "mistake" when your direct superior is at risk of being lynched...
September 30th, 2004 06:45 AM
LadyJane This is just wrong!!! This could also qualify as a "Howe Can This Happen?" And let us toast Mr. Frank Rich from our new favorite magazine, Modern Drunkard. He speaks for all of us lushes!! Bless him.

LJ.

Drinkers Object to Jack Daniel's Change

By MATT GOURAS, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - If you've noticed that your Jack Daniel's is carrying a little less kick these days, you're probably right. The famed "sippin' whiskey," which advertises a recipe traced back to the nation's first registered distillery, has lowered the alcohol content of its flagship brand, Old No.7 Black Label.

The whiskey now registers 80 proof, instead of 86 (or 40 percent alcohol versus 43 percent), and some drinkers feel betrayed.

"You can't screw with a legend like that and get away with it," said Frank Kelly Rich, editor of Modern Drunkard magazine. "I'm sure Jack is spinning in his grave."

The company says the switch was made because most customers prefer the less potent mix, which was marketed first in a few states and some overseas markets. The transition was completed earlier this year.

Those who want a stiffer drink can buy specialty versions like Jack Daniel's Single Barrel at 94 proof, the company said.

"We were just doing what we think most of our friends and customers wanted," said Roger Brashears, who has worked at Jack Daniel's in Lynchburg since the 1960s. "Our quality control is very scientific. It comes down to how it tastes."

The company touts Old No. 7 as "a simple reminder that some things just never change. And shouldn't. This is the old-time whiskey made as our fathers made it."

The uproar was started by a few whiskey drinkers who think Jack should stick to that promise. An online petition asking the company to switch back has gathered about 700 signatures.

"If that's what the people wanted, they would have announced it in an ad — 'Look we lowered the proof for you,'" said Rich, who calls his magazine "the voice of the recreational drinker."

Rich said the company pushed the change through without any fanfare and whiskey drinkers are just now picking up on it, saying it tastes sweeter and doesn't pack the same punch.

Jack Daniel's gets to 80 proof by adding a little more water to the raw whiskey that comes out of barrels after four years at roughly 125 proof, Brashears said.

"I can't tell the difference," he said. "We haven't done anything to affect the quality that has made us so many friends over the years."

It is not the first time drinkers have felt burned by Jack. Roughly 17 years ago, the company lowered the proof of its famed whiskey from 90 to 86.

Enough is enough, says Rich.

"I've switched to Maker's Mark since," he said. "I used to drink a bottle a week. Some of our board members drink three bottles a week. Once this gets out, it will be like the New Coke thing — they'll have to bring it back."

Competitors also jumped on Jack Daniel's. Kentucky's Jim Beam noted they have no plans to lower the alcohol content of their 210-year-old recipe.

"I think it's interesting that our primary competitor says they've been true to their roots yet they've lowered their proof and altered their recipe," said Dave Racicot, senior director of global marketing for the Kentucky whiskey.

The whiskey recipe is still the same, including four years of aging in wood barrels. Old No. 7, which Jack Daniel's says is the country's most popular whiskey with 7 million cases shipped last year, continues to sell well.

It is closing in on Johnnie Walker Black Label scotch whisky as the world's No. 1 seller, said Phil Lynch, spokesman for Brown-Forman, the Louisville, Ky.-based company that owns Jack Daniel's.

Lynch said the company uses the same ingredients and time-honored process it always has — including the charcoal filtering that makes Tennessee whiskey different than Kentucky bourbon.

Rich said the company was saving money by adding more water, but Jack Daniel's said any savings were canceled by the expense of having to change its labels.

"We don't think it's appropriate to have a magazine called Modern Drunkard dictate how we make our whiskey," Lynch said.

September 30th, 2004 07:46 AM
egon Right!

I'm going back to the motherland, for a "shipping dinner" in rotterdam.

So i won't be able to post until Monday, but rest assure; Just because you don't hear from me, does not mean I won't be drinking.

Work is so hard....

Now, what's that beer they brew in holland called again...?
September 30th, 2004 09:16 AM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:

So i won't be able to post until Monday, but rest assure; Just because you don't hear from me, does not mean I won't be drinking.

Bless You Egon !

You have taken the time to reassure the Joey ! I can feel your inebriation as I type -- Yes ...........I Feel it !!!!!! ......" Jaggerbombs " !

Red Bull Coming Your Way ..............................

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJerky Boy Joe !
September 30th, 2004 11:15 AM
egon yes joey, they have jagermeister AND red bull in holland.

It's gonna be an adventure.
September 30th, 2004 11:19 AM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
yes joey, they have jagermeister AND red bull in holland.

It's gonna be an adventure.

Baby Egon ...................................

The worm has turned for you --- and for the better .

Remember :

" Jaggerbomb " :

1 Shot of Jagermeister

1/2 Full Pint Sized Glass of Red Bull

Gently , GENTLY slip the shot of Jager into the glass of Red bull , wait a few seconds , guzzle , and then simply lie back and let it " hit " you .

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Smmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmack !

Alphabet Joe !
September 30th, 2004 10:33 PM
corgi37 For this, my 900th post, i'll stick with Vic Bitter.
October 1st, 2004 09:07 AM
sirmoonie Friday, October, 1, 2004 - on this day, we worship The Great Bong Hit.
October 1st, 2004 09:25 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Friday, October, 1, 2004 - on this day, we worship The Great Bong Hit.

SirMoonie ......................I would like to nuzzle you .
October 1st, 2004 04:58 PM
nankerphelge Gypsy -- you have anything to do this?

NORMAN, Okla. — The body of a 19-year-old student was found inside a fraternity house, and the university's president said drinking may have played a role in his death.

Blake Adam Hammontree was found at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday in an upstairs living area at the Sigma Chi fraternity house near the campus of the University of Oklahoma (search), said police spokeswoman Jennifer Newell.

Hammontree, a freshman, was a Sigma Chi (search) pledge who apparently was at the house for a fraternity function Wednesday night. The state medical examiner's office was working to determine the cause of death, she said.

University president David Boren immediately shut down the fraternity's operations on campus and said he would close the house for the rest of the academic year within two weeks.

"It is my duty as president to reaffirm clearly ... that underage drinking and the violation of the university's rules and policies regarding the use of alcohol will not be tolerated," Boren said.

It was the third death in less than a month at a fraternity house.

October 1st, 2004 07:11 PM
nankerphelge After 2 Newcastles at the local pub, & a lil' chibe, I made my way home.

Tonight, in honor of the soon-to-be drunkenchibapostathon, I broke out the Bacardi Gold and made some Rum Runners!

But first, a little din din and I'll be back!

October 1st, 2004 08:48 PM
J.J.Flash What time is right now in DC right now Nanky? I just want to know, as I am waiting to open the first one......already drank 2 dystiled..... just anxiously waiting for the right time to open those fuckers.....
October 2nd, 2004 10:57 AM
LadyJane I'm hurtin' this a.m. Anyone else??????????

LJ.
October 2nd, 2004 11:28 AM
sirmoonie Bottle o' wine
Bottle o' wine
When you gonna let me get sober?
Leave me alone
Let me go home
Let me go home and start over!
October 2nd, 2004 11:39 AM
stewed & Keefed Talking of wine.....hic...
October 2nd, 2004 03:27 PM
Bloozehound deja vu

I downed a bottle of Merlot last night while cooking up some crayfish etouffe

October 3rd, 2004 12:49 AM
sirmoonie presque a vu

Whacked a sixie of Moosehead whilst cooking a bott of qual red.

"Hit the high spank, Ronnie!"
October 3rd, 2004 01:19 AM
gypsy Nope, Nanky. I was nowhere near the OU campus on that night. Nor do I have anything with the Macauley Culkin debacle.
There's some more interesting news going around here. The DEA came to my boyfriend's place of employment and left with some guy he works with. I really HATE this guy too. I once got up and left his house a long time ago, when we were watching the Tyson/Holyfield fight, and this guy and his wife were cheering Tyson on for the ear-biting incident. I told them they were idiots and southside Oklahoma City trash. Anyway, it turns out that this guy has been running steroids through some club where he works as a bouncer...and yesterday, several Norman police officers were arrested along with several OKC area police for steroid use. I'm sure it's related to this asshole guy. I looked it up on the OCIS database, and I saw that asshole guy is being held under $50,000 bond for "Miscellaneous," which means he's probably going to rat out whomever he was buying the steroids from. And since his janky wife is expecting their first child, I'm sure he squealed.
October 3rd, 2004 02:19 AM
beer I wouold like to take this opportunity to tell all my Rocks Off friends that i got married last weekend. It took place in a church AND I WORE AN EXILE ON MAIN ST shirt. I'm not even kidding, the minister gave me a funny look, but i did it. I had some fancy button up shirt that i was gonna wear, but it just looked lame, so my wife said "wear the Exile shirt", and i did!! pictures soon.
October 3rd, 2004 02:40 AM
Bloozehound congrats beerfiend, rock n roll

post some pics
October 3rd, 2004 01:17 PM
gypsy Congratulations beer! What a lucky woman your wife is...and vice-versa. She MUST be cool if she encouraged you to wear your Exile shirt for the nuptials. Congrats to both of you!
October 3rd, 2004 05:24 PM
LadyJane I shall toast the happy couple a little later. Congrats, Mr and Mrs Beer. We want pictures!!!!

LJ.
October 3rd, 2004 08:59 PM
sirmoonie Congrats to my friend Beerie!

Also, I learned something new today! Its called an Irish Carbomb! Shot of Baileys and Irish whiskey dropped into a half filled pint of Guinness. Whack it down boilermaker style. I did four of them. All by myself!

This Irish Carbomb dealie is going to sweep the nation. I've already patented it in the US, but I'm willing to license it to anyone who digs the Stones.

"Erin go piss, Ronnie!"
October 3rd, 2004 09:33 PM
Bloozehound this shit is getting weird moonie

the Jack Daniels thread here reminded me of a bottle of JD I had, so last night was shots of JD followed with Guinness chasers

RIP to Guinness 8 pack & half a fifth of JD

you put up a good fight, but lost in the long run, may your liquid souls rest in peace

October 3rd, 2004 09:42 PM
Bloozehound PS

RIP one 10 dollar CAO cigar also, whose remains and ashes were spread in my flower garden this a.m.

flowers & condolences for cigar will be accepted and posted here at the RO drinking thread -- thank you
October 3rd, 2004 11:16 PM
sirmoonie Dude, nothing is more fun that putting a bottle of whiskey in the middle of the table, and seeing what happens.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17