ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Another great cover by Fernando, Congratulations!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: a headline by the end of 2005 Return to archive
10-26-03 08:38 AM
Charlie!Charlie! Last night I had this dream.

The Stones released a double album called "Ambush",
with blues-inspired rocksongs, no keith-ballads but Keith-rockers and an angry Jagger. Jagger got rid of his wives, Richards was looking worse than ever, but played like hell,
Woodie using nothing but an pedalsteel and Charlie was
bashing the skins like a madman.

The Stones had fired Chuck Leavell and Blondie Chaplin,
every now and then they invited Lisa and Bernard to add
some soulfull notes along with Angry Mick.

They toured the world, only playing clubgigs. The setlist
consisted of 20 songs, which were the 20 songs on "Ambush"
No Jumping Jack, no Angie, no Street Fighting Man. Just the new songs, and they played like having to convince
the audience of their qualities, like a new band that plays their first gig. Stonesfans went absolutely crazy...

The headline in october 2005 told us that the Stones had died in a planecrash, on their way from Vredenburg, Holland to Olympia, France tot play their last clubgig of that tour. No one survived the crash.

How legendary....I woke up screaming!

10-26-03 09:04 AM
mandrack Like your dream!
10-26-03 01:07 PM
parmeda Charlie! 2x's....please go back to sleep and come up with a different headline, okay? Thanks
10-26-03 05:14 PM
SHINE A LIGHT just a dream? that's a nightmare......do not ever go to sleep again!!!!!!!!!
10-26-03 05:17 PM
Mr T hmmmm
Jagger expressing only one emotion
Charlie playing like a hard rock drummer
Ronnie showing any type of musical expertise

I think you were dreaming of a different band
10-26-03 06:52 PM
glencar I like the part about getting rid of Blondie Chaplin. What a turd!
10-26-03 08:34 PM
SHINE A LIGHT what do you not like about blondie? he's a really nice guy,if you'd met him you would know that.but, really, what is your gripe with blondie?
10-26-03 09:54 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy And after you woke up from this dream, did you need to change your pants?

I know I would've! Damn. Whatta great dream.

Too bad it's just that.

And yeah, Blondie's a great guy, but A) he's strung out and B) his playing just muddles things, and his backing vox sound like a cheap Keith'n'Ronnie replacement since neither of 'em do those anymore.

-tSYX --- I need a love...
10-26-03 10:01 PM
Nellcote TSYX....B-4 you get too far gone on one Mr. Chapin, have a look at his pedigree, you might consider being less harsh on a musician who has had such a varied background....

From John Wiblin--SFJ....10/13/03

Blondie Chaplin

May I also draw the Stickies� attention to this great South African-born musician, currently appearing with the Stones on backing vocals, assorted percussion instruments and guitar (on JJF). I am South African by birth and Blondie is a wholly unsung hero in his homeland. I had never heard of him at all, despite having been raised in that country and working in a record shop for a number of years. I first came across his name in a Beach Boys biography.

In writing the following I acknowledge the assistance of an article by David Kidney that can be read in its entirety at www.greenmanreview.com and the biography that appears at http//ubl.artistdirect.com (author uncredited).

Blondie�s full name is Terence William Chaplin. His first band was the South African soul cover band, The Flames, that became the first non-white group to reach the top slot on South Africa's music charts with �For Your Precious Love� (1968). They toured Europe where they were seen by Carl Wilson in a London club, who signed them to Brother Records, invited them to record in Los Angeles and produced their first American album. The band�s name was changed to �The Flame� around this time. Subsequently, Wilson invited �The Flame� to open shows for the Beach Boys in 1970 and 1971. When The Flame disbanded in 1972, Chaplin and Flame drummer Ricky Fataar were invited to become full-time members of the Beach Boys. They remained with that band until 1976, and appeared on three albums �Carl And The Passions So Tough�, �Holland� and �Live�.
Blondie sang lead on �Sail On Sailor� and �Here She Comes� (a Chaplin/Fataar composition), two of the most significant Beach Boy songs of that period. After leaving the Beach Boys, he began working with Dave Mason, Joe Walsh and The Band�s Garth Hudson and Rick Danko. Following the death of pianist/drummer/vocalist Richard Manuel in 1986, Chaplin was asked to play guitar and drums and to sing Manuel's vocal parts. Although he only remained with the group for one year, he returned to play on their 1996 album, �High on the Hog�.He also participated in an early-1980s reunion by The Byrds.

In 1992 Chaplin joined forces with fellow South Africans Keith Lentin and Letterman's drummer Anton Fig (who played on Mick�s �She�s the Boss� album) as well as Bryan Millar, to form the trio Skollie (a derogatory South African slang word deriving from the Afrikaans language, used mainly in the south-western part of the country amongst that part of the population who are of Malay or mixed-racial descent and once classified by the state as �coloured� or �Cape coloured� to mean a layabout or uncouth lout, usually with criminal tendencies). The music they made together is available on the album Ostrich Man (1992).
Chaplin has also appeared on Keith�s �Wingless Angels� project and on Charlie�s �Charlie Watts/Jim Keltner Project�. Woody and Keith appear on Chaplin�s own �Fragile Thread� album (unreleased). He has also appeared on albums by Jennifer Warnes, Bonnie Raitt, Elliot Murphy and ex- New York Doll David Johansen. A full list of the albums he has appeared on can be found at the artistdirect.com website.
Blondie Chaplin Discography
The Flames, The Best of the Flames, Teal Records, 1994 (South African only release)
The Flames, The Flame, Brother Records, 1970
Blondie Chaplin, Blondie Chaplin, Asylum Records, 1977
Skollie, Ostrich Man, PVB Records, 1992
Blondie Chaplin, Fragile Thread, unreleased, 2001

Note, I think that "For Your Precious Love" was recorded by the Stones during the Bridges To Babylon sessions...
10-26-03 11:25 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Blondie's a great guy with a lot of background, yeah, in the same way that Chuck is. That is to say, I wish the guy all the best, but to be honest, I think he takes up space with a band that used to be one of the leanest meanest bands on the road that's now literally a rock'n'roll circus.

They got rid of the fancy sets this year. Might the fancy backup dancers be next? I mean, Bernard, Lisa, Blondie and Chuck are all four of them a great group of people that've all done wonders for the Stones - Bernard's singing with Woody on his tour was incredible, for example, Lisa's solo in "Gimme Shelter" is spine-tingling good... I dunno, I just wish the Stones would go back to making rock'n'roll and not worry about having all those people there as a safety net. Because when you have a safety net, why not use it, right? Much easier than actually taking a chance once in awhile and falling on your face.

It's a dumb wish, I know, because Stones are Stones, they can do whatever they want, and who am I to beg for this and that, blah blah blah, they're great musicians and I'm nothing, the traditional SS response... but I'd feel wonderful if one day they said "Hey, we need to be a leaner band, Keith and Ronnie both need to get off their asses and play." But it won't happen, because Keith is Keith, Ronnie follows Keith (probably to an early grave that Keith'll daintily skip over, leaving Ronnie dead before sixty and Keith alive until his hundredth), and Mick is sick of Keith throwing temper tantrums whenever he doesn't get his way.

Charlie, on the other hand, is doing fine. Go Charlie go!

-tSYX --- Hey ya!
10-27-03 03:25 PM
glencar Actually, "Light" I did meet Blondie. It was after a Vegas show. He was an absolute asshole. Could barely stand which sin't necessarily a reason to dislike him but he was nasty to the core. Plus he's dull.
10-27-03 05:03 PM
Charlie!Charlie! People! My dream wasn't about to piss on Blondie C or Chuck L, but was about the ultimate end of this great band

What I mean is, I don't want The Stones to end like a commercial company.

Of course, this last tour was obligatory because of their 40 year anniversary and, let's be honest, musically it was
their best tour ever.
Production, setlists, just fucking great!
But too much relying on old material

But the time has really come for The Stones to show up
with new stuff, that really matters.
Stuff that make critics say: "Oh fuck, they actually still
DO matter, The Glimmer Twins are still alive though."

And people should attend their concert, not because this really might be the last time, but because The Stones released this great new album and we wanne hear it live!

This is what would make The Stones legendary.
Pulling out another "greatest hits tour with 1 new song
would not, in my opinion.

And I really hope The Stones won't die one after another.
What would The Stones be without Charlie, for example.
And what�s more beautiful for an artist dying while performing... `Died while having a great time...``

That�s what my dream was about

And I want your opinion on this!
10-27-03 05:05 PM
glencar Not meant offensively but you need a life.