ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Another great cover by Fernando, Congratulations!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Martha brushes fame at Rock Hall! (SSC) Return to archive
10-22-03 01:30 PM
Martha Ok...it finally happened. I met a real life Rock musician at the ROCK and ROLL Hall of Fame yesterday afternoon in Cleveland OH!

Pino Palladino, the bassist who graciously took over when John Entwistle passed the night before the WHO tour was to start, is now playing bass for the Simon and Garfunkel tour.

Well, Chirs and I went up to Cleveland Monday afternoon for the S&G show ( it was incredible by the way) and the following day we go to the RH for a tour and a hangout fest and low and behold here comes the band down the escalator right after we got in ourselves (noonish). I'm lookin' at all these people coming downt the stairs and think; "Wait a minute....I KNOW that guy?!?" ( it was Mark Smith who is playing guitar, cello and various back-up vocals, etc., for the band) but; "Why do I know him?" And as I looked at the group of people with Mark I saw PINO PALLADINO straggling behind the group.....that is when I knew why I knew Mark!!!!

Holy Shit I asid to myself and made a bee line for Pino who was walking off the escalator away from me so his back was now to me.

I immediately went towardshim and said, " Pino?!" and he turned around and was so incredibly nice and gracious. He signed an autograph to me and ...hell, by now I am getting overly excited and am babbling all the things you wonder why did I say this or why did I forget to say that...all the things you think afterwards stuff....but who the hell cares it was simply great!

My husband knew that Pino had played on Gary Numan's album "I Assassin" in 1981 or '82, and told him he had been brilliant on that album. To which Pino replied; "That's goin' way back". As he smiled.

I later spoke with him again during the day as we rummaged around the Rock Hall and I actually drug him (he went willingly as he had never been at the Rock Hall before) over the to the Stones exhibit and showed him the letter from the fan in Fiji..the "WE HATE HATE HATE you letter" to the Stones that is so funny...and ironic..written in 1966. It was wonderful. He laughed when he read it with me. We chatted with Pino about his career, about Petey and Roger (he said they are both exceptionally nice people and that Petey is very intelligent..etc., :-)

So, today, as you might imagine...I am in heaven. Sorry for the rambling post...I am shaking with delight!

You won't get fooled again! No No!!!!!!

God I never wanted to be able to call this board or someone like Joey the WHO freak so badly in all my life from the RH payphone yesterday!! LOL

We didn't ever see Jim Keltner though. He was there too. He is playing drums for the S&G tour.

A good day indeed!

Pino LOVED the Rock Hall, which was cool to note. He was looking at all the old soundboards, radio's and recording stuff from the past, as well as guitars...and he and we stood inside the theater where you see all the the inductees (footage from the past etc.) and his head swayed to particular groups as they were featured. You could see he really loved what he was watching. I dance to all of it...lol. I ask him if he recognized any of the people once we were exiting the room and he laughed and said; "just a few!"

WOW! I know I've got ROCKand ROll on my side! Those Stones of our's keep connecting me somehow, someway..it is strange but, it continues to be true!

A great day indeedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT...Does this get me into the C-10???? I did drag him right over to the Stones exhibit. Does that get me a members only pin...or something????
10-22-03 05:44 PM
Joey " BUT...Does this get me into the C-10???? I did drag him right over to the Stones exhibit. Does that get me a members only pin...or something???? "

As far as I am concerned Martha , you are DEFINITELY a member of the C - 10 !

Jacky !

10-22-03 06:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'd say the chances are VERY good that on the day that you meet up with some of the C-10...you'll get your C-10A...or P...if you want it.

Let me say this about Pino...the guy handled a very delicate, sad, horrible situation with the utmost dignity and class. He played with restraint. He certainly played well, but he played with enough restraint that you could feel the space that the Ox used to occupy. Does that make any sense? He didn't even TRY to fill Ox's shoes.

If I had met the guy, I would have told him how much I appreciated that gesture on his part.

Did he say anything about the Stones?
10-22-03 08:09 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'd say the chances are VERY good that on the day that you meet up with some of the C-10...you'll get your C-10A...or P...if you want it.

Oh happy day!!!!! I scored!!! I cannot wait for this meeting to happen!!!!! When is it?

Let me say this about Pino...the guy handled a very delicate, sad, horrible situation with the utmost dignity and class. He played with restraint. He certainly played well, but he played with enough restraint that you could feel the space that the Ox used to occupy. Does that make any sense? He didn't even TRY to fill Ox's shoes.

It makes perfect sense SS. Perfect! That's excatly what Pino did, I couldn't agree with you more. And you know he was so gracious as I stood there gushing over him at the RH, I think that's his basic nature. Very sweet and easy to talk with. He was very friendly and talked as though he felt very comfortable doing so with both my husband and me. It was very nice..unforgettable, in fact. :-)

If I had met the guy, I would have told him how much I appreciated that gesture on his part.

I did thank him for what he did regarding the WHO. But I blithered it out.... I just couldn't compose myself entirely the first time I talked to him. I'm high energy ROnnie! LOL I was much more relaxed the second time when I took him over to see the Stones exhibit.

Did he say anything about the Stones?

No he didn't and I didn't ask...I didn't want to get into a blizzard lip thing that I tend to do when I talk about music and my favorite bands. LOL It was nice not asking I guess too, somehow. I don't know what that means...it just feels right now to me, how it all went down I mean. Pino did say he loves ALL kinds of music when I asked him how it felt playing with S&G verses being out with the WHO.

It was great!

Oh and the guitar player's name is Mark Stewart. Sorry for the mistake on his last name. I'm bad at names.
10-22-03 09:06 PM
gypsy Yay, Martha! I'm happy for you, ya lucky gal! Thanks for sharing...I would be rambling on about it too. You're already a C-10 in my book.
10-22-03 10:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot No not C-10.

The only people that can claim the C-10 tag are:

Sir Stonesalot
Marko
FPM
Sirmoonie
nankerphelge
MaxLugar
Maxmeister
2000 Man
Joey
Steel Driving Hammer

We were the only 10 there. No others. We are the only ones who can be C-10. We do have an Auxillary, or Honorary tag of C-10A or C-10P. C-10 members can bestow an A or P to those folks, who upon a personal meeting with C-10 members, display the required Stonesian qualities that would bring honor to the C-10. In other words, if they would have fit in with us in 2000 Man's backyard, then they can use the C-10A or C-10P tag.

You see, we of the C-10, like it or not, are just a wee bit better than everyone else. If we honor you with an A or P, that means that YOU have to be just a wee bit better than everyone else too. That is why you can't earn the tag until we meet you in person. Lots of people talk a big game on the internet...but in person you gotta walk it too.

Now, I'm not saying that Martha isn't worthy of a C-10A or P. I'd guess she's a lock...but you never know until you can look 'em in the eyes.

I have a quart sized C-10 beer mug. Has a Stones tongue with "C-10" under it. But most importantly...I got the Cleveland Summit T-shirt.

So, only C-10 can be C-10. Everyone else has an honorary title.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
10-22-03 10:17 PM
gypsy From what I can see, it looks as if the C-10 has very low standards.
Come on, RO ladies, let's start our own clique...one that does not stipulate having sex with us to become a member.
10-22-03 10:41 PM
LadyJane I'm with ya, gypsy!!

Come on girls...let's convene a summit of our own..and put these boys to SHAME!!

LadyJ.
10-22-03 11:13 PM
gypsy Thanks, LadyJ! What could we call our group? I guess we could name it after what city we meet in, and how many of us are there. Nah, that's already been done by the C-10.
It would be cool to get to meet in person. I really want to...but I work so much. Plus, the next time I get a vacation, I'm finally going to marry that guy I've been engaged to for the last 12 years. He's been harrassing me about it a lot lately. I guess it's time to tie that knot...I just don't want to jump into anything too fast. ha! It seems like only yesterday, we were five-years-old and throwing rocks at each other. Aaah, the good old days.
10-22-03 11:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Uhhhh...excuse me? Low standards? You mean Joey and SDH? Joey is our Court Jester, and SDH is our Village Idiot. Any clan worth a salt has a jester and an idiot. Joey & SDH may be knuckleheads, but they can both drink like fish...and they both dig the Stones.

Now, please reprint my statement that says you have to fuck us to get a C-10A or P?!? Oh that's right, you can't...because I never EVER said that, nor implied it.

Of all the ladies that can carry a C-10P tag, I only know of one that actually had sex with one of the C-10...and she was living with him at the time. I'm sure you could get laid if you wanted to Gypsy, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

It's pretty simple, you can either hang with us...or you can't.
10-22-03 11:36 PM
gypsy I luv you, Marc.
10-23-03 08:21 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well of course you do.

Doesn't everyone?
10-23-03 09:22 AM
nankerphelge And you know, as a seasoned veteran of these Stones boards, I can honestly say that while there is often "talk" of various get togethers in various locales (and I'm not talking about meeting at shows -- I'm talking meeting when there really is no excuse other than the desire to get together), there are not too many people that have actually done it.

People are busy. Families don't understand. The excuses seem silly to the non-mutants!

But the true, blue, dyed-in-the-wool (mmm, wool) Stones fans understand it. They respect what we did. They envy our committment!

I hope you RO ladies do have a get together.
It was great!
10-23-03 10:50 AM
Martha Let's meet at the ROCK Hall and jam that place up right ladies!

I suggest we meet right the day after we all go see AC/DC at Gund arena when they tour this coming year. I mean let's ROCK and Roll together and go for the gusto!

Of course, you all can come to my house for a Stonesian festival anytime.......and in that case...everyone is welcome!!!! Men, women, sheep....

"Can't ya' hear me knockin'?!"

Gypsy, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Stonesy....I am totally prepared to have you look very deeply into my Stonesicated eyes.....YES! Honorary member................. all the way! :-)

Why am I so confidant???

"Who said that?" (*cough snort choke*)

Because after the Detroit show obliterated me ........I now know the one irrefutable, never changing fact of life.....

STONES IS STONES!!!!

****** totally focused stare***********

Now..............

Let's ROCK!

10-23-03 10:52 AM
nankerphelge AC/DC at the gund?

Sheep?

You gals know how to do it!

I been to 3 State fairs and a hog-fuck, but I ain't never seen no party like that....
10-23-03 10:56 AM
sirmoonie Chicks dig guys in a C-10 uniform!
10-23-03 11:10 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah yeah, I say yeah yeah!

Did ya'll check out nanky's post?

We didn't have any real reason to do what we did. No show, no nothin'. Just went to hang out & party our faces off. See, we didn't TALK about it, we actually DID it.

I know when I told my wife that a certain crazy bastard from Finland was coming to stay with us for a week, and then we were gonna drive out to Cleveland to hang out with a bunch of guys that we didn't know....well you can imagine the look I got. Heh heh, I get that look a lot.

The thing that impressed me the most was how easily we lapsed into that framiliarity that goes with old friends. And this was with guys that I knew as nothing but message board handles. We were complete strangers, and old pals, at the same time. That first night in our suite, there were 8 guys livin' it up like they were old school chums. We drank(a lot), we smoked(a lot), we laughed(a lot), but mostly we ROCKED.

I said to FPM on the way home, "You know, if those guys lived around us, we would have been pals all along." I suppose "kindred spirits", is the proper term to use even if it is over used. So when we give out a C-10A/P, that is what we are saying...you are like us. Gooba gabba.
10-23-03 11:50 AM
Joey " You mean Joey and SDH? Joey is our Court Jester, and SDH is our Village Idiot. Any clan worth a salt has a jester and an idiot. Joey & SDH may be knuckleheads, but they can both drink like fish...and they both dig the Stones. "

See Keith Moon !

What ?!?!?! Oh , sure ....HERE ya go !!!! :

http://www.steelydan.com/emgband.html

Whoops ......sorry !!!! Wrong Link !!!! Let's try that one again shall we ?!?!?!

www.KeithMoon.com

" Hit Me Ronnie "

JACKYFLY !

10-23-03 12:27 PM
LadyJane Martha...I like the way you think!!

Ladies....come on now...let's give this some serious consideration.

When is AC/DC touring??? I can do Cleveland with no problem!! Bet Parmy and Luxy can too!!

C'mon gypsy...we'll give you a stagette party you'll never forget...

LadyJ.

10-23-03 12:28 PM
Joey " Chicks dig guys in a C-10 uniform! "

Chicks dig Maxy's XXL cranium .