ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rush VS. Mcfly Return to archive
25th October 2006 04:07 PM
WattsAtScotts The symptoms of Parkinson's disease that all but ended Michael J. Fox's acting career became the focus of a celebrity-driven political debate that included a remarkable charge Tuesday by conservative talk-radio commentator Rush Limbaugh.

Speaking on his daily show, Limbaugh repeated a claim that Fox was "either off his medication or acting" in 30-second TV ads for Democratic candidates who support stem cell research.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

Now, celebrity foes of stem cell research plan to air their own ad Wednesday night during the broadcast of the World Series.

St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher Jeff Suppan, scheduled to start tonight's game, is among several celebrities who appear in the minute-long ad. Others include Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, Kansas City Royals player Mike Sweeney and two actors — Patricia Heaton of TV's "Everybody Loves Raymond" and Jim Caviezel, who portrayed Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ."

"Amendment 2 claims it bans human cloning, but in the 2,000 words you don't read, it makes cloning a constitutional right," Suppan says in the commercial. "Don't be deceived."

Fox's ads, aired in support of Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, who is running for the Senate in Maryland; Senate candidate Claire McCaskill in Missouri; and Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, show the actor shaking and rocking as he directly addresses the camera, making no effort to hide the effects of his disease.

Fox also was planning to appear at events for Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Tammy Duckworth, a candidate for Congress from Illinois.

For complete election coverage, go to FOXNews.com's You Decide 2006 center.

In the McCaskill ad, which by Tuesday night had been viewed more than 1 million times on YouTube.com, Fox tells voters, "What you do in Missouri matters to millions of Americans. Americans like me."

"All stem cell research is legal today in Missouri," Limbaugh countered. "[Missouri Senator] Jim Talent does not seek to criminalize it, as Michael J. Fox asserts in his television commercial. The truth is, Amendment 2 would put human cloning in the Missouri Constitution. Michael J. Fox is participating in this disinformation campaign."

Amendment 2, on the state ballot, would provide constitutional protections for embryonic stem cell research in Missouri. The amendment also would ban cloning and egg harvesting for stem cell research.

Limbaugh asserts, however, that language in the bill — a reference to somatic cell nuclear transfer — is just another term for cloning.

"The fine print creates a right to do somatic cell nuclear transfer which is the scientific term for cloning, the same method used to clone Dolly the sheep!" Limbaugh charged.

Talent, the Republican incumbent, announced in May that he opposed the amendment on the grounds that he equated stem cell research with human cloning. Opponents of the amendment agree that stem cell research is a form of cloning.

Talent's spokesman, Rich Chrismer, told USA Today that Fox's statements were "false," and said Talent supports "stem cell research that doesn't involve cloning or destroying a human embryo."

"Democrats cannot look you in the eye and say, 'Here's what we're for' and convince you to vote for it. They have to trick you, and the Michael J. Fox commercial in Missouri and Maryland is just the latest incarnation," Limbaugh charged.

For complete election coverage, go to FOXNews.com's You Decide 2006 center.

"Ludicrous," is how John Boockvar, a neurosurgeon and assistant professor at Weill Cornell Medical Center at New York's Presbyterian Hospital, described Limbaugh's claim.

Parkinson's disease is a chronic, progressive disorder of the central nervous system that leaves patients increasingly unable to control their movements.

Boockvar said those with Parkinson's have "on" and "off" spells.

There's no question that Fox, a popular TV and movie actor who also campaigned for John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race, is uniquely suited as a spokesman for embryonic stem cell research, which some scientists believe could aid in discovering treatments or cures to Parkinson's and other diseases.

"I'm a one-issue guy. I'm about stem cells," Fox told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch earlier this month during a campaign appearance for McCaskill that raised almost $200,000 for the state auditor's senate bid.

"If there is one single disease that has the highest potential for benefit from stem cell research," Boockvar said, "it's Parkinson's."

"The reason that he's powerful is that he's comparatively young," says Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director for the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center. "As a result, a lot of people in that age range can look at him and say, 'If that can happen to him, it can happen to me.'"

The risk in airing the ads is that they could appear as using Fox's hopes for a cure for political gain, Jamieson said.

Limbaugh made a similar point on his Tuesday program.

"I don't care what anybody says; it is unseemly, it is exploitative, and it is downright mean to mislead people who suffer from horrible diseases that there is a cure around the corner — if only Republicans could be defeated," Limbaugh said.

Larry Sabato, director of the Centre for Politics at the University of Virginia, told the BBC that Fox's intervention could help decide the race.

"If a tiny ad can change votes, this one ought to," he said.

"This is real. He's not playing a guy with Parkinson's — he is a guy with Parkinson's."

The ads set to air during Wednesday night's World Series broadcast are funded by groups opposing Amendment 2, such as "Missourians Against Human Cloning" and "The Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures."

Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1991 and revealed his condition publicly in 1998. In 2000, the "Spin City" and "Back to the Future" star quit full-time acting because of his symptoms and founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research, which has raised about $80 million for research and education.

Fox has since acted sporadically in smaller roles, such as in a several-episode guest appearance earlier this year on ABC's "Boston Legal," playing a business tycoon with cancer. For that role and others, Fox generally has sought to control his movements, though his illness was evident. He told The Associated Press in January that one long scene was physically taxing and that because of Parkinson's disease, he "can't show up with a game plan."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
25th October 2006 04:14 PM
pdog Rush is a scumbag... Period!
25th October 2006 04:15 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
pdog wrote:
Rush is a scumbag... Period!

I agree! ESPN was a disaster!
25th October 2006 04:17 PM
pdog Rush will find karma is a bitch... God has a funny way of dealing with people like him...
25th October 2006 04:33 PM
rasputin56 I totally agree with Rush. If anyone knows a little something about being off his meds, it would be him. How could anyone distrust him with that record?
25th October 2006 04:35 PM
Saint Sway my father suffers from Parkinsons. I am very involved with many Parkinson related charities and am a chairman on several fund raisers. One of the Parkinsons fund raising groups I belong to is Michael J. Fox's Foundation. And I can assure you that his symptons are very real.

Michael J. Fox has done an enormous amount to help raise money and awareness to help treat and hopefully one day cure Parkinsons disease. That only "acting" involved is an act of passion.

Rush is clearly opposed to stem cell research soley based on his personal and narrow minded religous beliefs.

Which is strange, because I'm pretty sure theres stuff in the bible about helping your fellow man but i just dont remember anything in the bible about mocking the sick
25th October 2006 04:41 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
I totally agree with Rush. If anyone knows a little something about being off his meds, it would be him. How could anyone distrust him with that record?

There is no way a dude downing a bucket of 'ludes a day goes off-boat. He's still living the high life, these counter-culture "if it feels good, do it" types are always hooked up for good times, irrespective of whether they get pinche'd by The Man.
25th October 2006 04:46 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

There is no way a dude downing a bucket of 'ludes a day goes off-boat. He's still living the high life, these counter-culture "if it feels good, do it" types are always hooked up for good times, irrespective of whether they get pinche'd by The Man.

Rush is like foley. He despises and bas mouths people who are like himself, although he is too ashamed to face it.
He is a gay drug addict abortion doctor.
25th October 2006 05:40 PM
Jumacfly Mc Fly of course!
25th October 2006 06:22 PM
glencar Actually Rush has apologized. So all the self-righteousness that was burning for this thread must be directed instead at the guy running against my Senator Dipshit Clinton who said she was ugly & required millions in plastic surgery. John Spencer's an actual candidate. Rush is a bombastic talk show host. We expect him to say stuff like what he said about Fox. Let's be honest: it is the best thing to happen to Fox's career in a decade & that's what shallow H-wood types care about.
25th October 2006 07:15 PM
keefjunkie fly by night

great album
25th October 2006 08:01 PM
rasputin56 "All right then, I stand corrected... so I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act."

That's an apology? I'm just surprised he didn't threaten MJFox with a smackdown. Afterall, he isn't in a wheelchair yet. Compassionate conservatism at work.

Let's just add this:

"I stand by what I said. I take back none of what I said. I wouldn’t rephrase it any differently. It is what I believe; it is what I think. It is what I have found to be true."

Atta boy, Rush. Oxy-Moron
[Edited by rasputin56]
25th October 2006 10:20 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves As long as they don't clone another Hillary
26th October 2006 04:31 AM
Monkeytonk-man Thats easy, Rush are one of canada's most powerful and respected rock exports - a power trio with one of the finest drummers I've ever witnessed live in concert.

McFly are a shitty pop band in England that pre-pubescent girls and houswives listen to.

No brainer .... Rush all the way!!
26th October 2006 10:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man I read about this in today's Daily Mail. As someone with a disability, I find it upsetting when clueless idiots with a lack of understanding start making such accusations in regards to other peoples misfortune. If Michael J Fox was shaking like that, it was genuine.
26th October 2006 01:17 PM
2000monkey >>Let's be honest: it is the best thing to happen to Fox's career in a decade & that's what shallow H-wood types care about.<<

What a fucking nut you are. As if being mentioned in the same breath as Limpballs was a career boon....lol

26th October 2006 09:14 PM
rasputin56 http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2129742n

Friggin' fraud.
26th October 2006 11:12 PM
Zambero Rethuglicans, the ones standing in the way of funding for stem cell research, got freaked out by polling data that was overwhelmingly sypathetic to the message that Fox was putting across. So the GOP character assassination hit squad commissioned the Noxious Gasbag to do a number on the guy. Rush doesn't have a mind of his own and doesn't so anything unless told to do so. Given his own heavy baggage, Rush was a poor choice for this hatchet job and it backfired. He has about as much cred as the rest of the right eing media nutcases -- Coulter, O'Lielly, Hannity, Savage et al.
27th October 2006 11:34 AM
gimmekeef Have another mouth full of Oxy Rush.....what a sad piece of shit
27th October 2006 11:40 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Have another mouth full of Oxy Rush.....what a sad piece of shit

Its incredible, this hypocritical dope addict chases down a guy with Parkinson's for shaking too much, and people commend the guy.

I think he should go smoke cigars in a burn unit, or maybe kick a cripple in the nuts - give his fans something to really cheer about.

Michael J. Fox seems pretty sincere about his battle with a deadly disease, and seems to genuinely want to help cure it - oh wait, he's biased against deadly diseases, fucking liberal! Its the media! Hollywood! Birkenstocks!
27th October 2006 03:59 PM
robpop Rush is the dumbest motherfucker in the free world seriously. He is intellectually bankrupt.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)