ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthday time is on my side Return to archive
24th October 2006 04:52 PM
stewed & Keefed Have a great day
24th October 2006 04:56 PM
GotToRollMe Happy Birthday!
24th October 2006 04:56 PM
_Boomy_ Have a happy B-Day!
24th October 2006 04:58 PM
PartyDoll MEG Hope you have a fun filled Birthday!!
24th October 2006 04:59 PM
WattsAtScotts Have a great brithday!
24th October 2006 06:32 PM
Gazza A fine poster! Happy Birthday
24th October 2006 06:57 PM
LadyJane Always enjoy your posts.

Have a great Birthday.

LJ.
24th October 2006 07:21 PM
Soldatti Happy Birthday!
Have a great day.
24th October 2006 07:38 PM
Honky Tonk Man Happy Birthday
24th October 2006 09:30 PM
Lazy Bones Super birthday wishes to you!
24th October 2006 10:02 PM
Riffhard A very Happy Birthday TIOMS!

Riffy
25th October 2006 01:10 AM
time is on my side Thanks to everyone here at rocks off

The absolutely best web site for information on the STONES, music, entertainment, and general insights into the meaning of life. The politics I try to stay away from.

In what has been a troubling year, I spent a quiet day with my family enjoying each other's company. Reflecting.

You know in a few short days it will be exactly 25 years since I saw my first (and to this day the absolute best) STONES concert. To anyone that was there that night (there's not many of us) knows, it was a magical night. It was at the Fox in Atlanta GA. One may ask how I, a man of limited means (at least at the time), came across such a hard to get ticket??? My answer is that I had very little to do with it. Unless you were very well connected or willing to pay ungodly sums of money to ticket brokers, the only way you could get tickets was to be up at about 2:00 O'clock in the morning listening to a certain radio station telling you to buy the tickets at a certain location in town (the Atlanta Civic Center). I believe it was during a regular weekday. Who would be crazy enough to be awake at that time and to be listening to that radio station at that TIME in the early morning hours???? Though I would like to say that person was me, rest assured it was not. I was sound asleep in bed (had to go to work the next day). Fortunately, for me, I just happened to be related to someone who was crazy enough to be awake & to be able to listen to the announcement. He also happened to be downtown at the time working on some computer program at Georgia State. My brother.

Now I had some notorius bad luck when it came to the STONES in the seventies. I wish I knew someone like Chief Moon back in those days. Missed out on the Stones in 1972 (they didn't come to Atlanta & in the days before the Internet it wasn't always easy to find out where they were playing in other towns); missed out in 1975 (was living in Houston Texas for the summer & couldn't get my other brother, I have two brothers, to lend me his car so I could see them over the July 4th holidays in Dallas Texas at the Cotton Bowl; wouldn't you know it they came to Atlanta that year); missed out in 1978 (was living overseas in Germany at the time) and, wouldn't you know it, they didn't play Europe in 1979 like everyone thought they would.

In 1981, I finally hit paydirt. Sometimes in life you just get plain lucky. It happens that way sometimes. Not often but it does happen. My brother (2 days before the show) presented me with the best birthday gift I've ever had. The most unexpected surprise gift anyone could give. I opened an envelope which contained the ticket shown below. To this day, I can still see the shit faced grin on his face.

25 years??? Where does the TIME go??? I've seen them a lot of times since (at least once on every tour) but nothing can ever replace the memory of the first time I ever saw the stones. My crazy brother??? I think about him all the time.
25th October 2006 04:42 AM
FotiniD Happy belated birthday
25th October 2006 06:59 AM
egon HAPPY BELATED
DAY

[Edited by egon]
25th October 2006 07:37 AM
corgi37 I reserved my 3,900th post to wish you a happy birthday.
25th October 2006 09:02 AM
Irina Happy Birthday to You

25th October 2006 09:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Happy Birthday....hope you had a good one.
26th October 2006 08:45 PM
Riffhard
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Thanks to everyone here at rocks off

The absolutely best web site for information on the STONES, music, entertainment, and general insights into the meaning of life. The politics I try to stay away from.

In what has been a troubling year, I spent a quiet day with my family enjoying each other's company. Reflecting.

You know in a few short days it will be exactly 25 years since I saw my first (and to this day the absolute best) STONES concert. To anyone that was there that night (there's not many of us) knows, it was a magical night. It was at the Fox in Atlanta GA. One may ask how I, a man of limited means (at least at the time), came across such a hard to get ticket??? My answer is that I had very little to do with it. Unless you were very well connected or willing to pay ungodly sums of money to ticket brokers, the only way you could get tickets was to be up at about 2:00 O'clock in the morning listening to a certain radio station telling you to buy the tickets at a certain location in town (the Atlanta Civic Center). I believe it was during a regular weekday. Who would be crazy enough to be awake at that time and to be listening to that radio station at that TIME in the early morning hours???? Though I would like to say that person was me, rest assured it was not. I was sound asleep in bed (had to go to work the next day). Fortunately, for me, I just happened to be related to someone who was crazy enough to be awake & to be able to listen to the announcement. He also happened to be downtown at the time working on some computer program at Georgia State. My brother.

Now I had some notorius bad luck when it came to the STONES in the seventies. I wish I knew someone like Chief Moon back in those days. Missed out on the Stones in 1972 (they didn't come to Atlanta & in the days before the Internet it wasn't always easy to find out where they were playing in other towns); missed out in 1975 (was living in Houston Texas for the summer & couldn't get my other brother, I have two brothers, to lend me his car so I could see them over the July 4th holidays in Dallas Texas at the Cotton Bowl; wouldn't you know it they came to Atlanta that year); missed out in 1978 (was living overseas in Germany at the time) and, wouldn't you know it, they didn't play Europe in 1979 like everyone thought they would.

In 1981, I finally hit paydirt. Sometimes in life you just get plain lucky. It happens that way sometimes. Not often but it does happen. My brother (2 days before the show) presented me with the best birthday gift I've ever had. The most unexpected surprise gift anyone could give. I opened an envelope which contained the ticket shown below. To this day, I can still see the shit faced grin on his face.

25 years??? Where does the TIME go??? I've seen them a lot of times since (at least once on every tour) but nothing can ever replace the memory of the first time I ever saw the stones. My crazy brother??? I think about him all the time.

Hey TIOMS I was at that show as well! I bought my ticket from a friend's older brother who happened to be listening to 96Rock the night they went on sale. I paid $100.00 to this guy because he was kind of a dick and wouldn't go any lower. I had to borrow the cash from my mom. What a show! Funny thing is that when I got to the Fox my seats were under the soundboard! So the cute little usherette tells all of us to stand in the aisle and she will take us to our seats in a minute. Myself,and the others who had these now covered seats were starting to wonder where the hell they were gonna put us. After about ten minutes the girl instructs us to follow her. She leads us to rows 6-8!! I got front and center Row F(6)! I'll never forget that night,and you are so right. It was hands down the best Stones' show I have ever seen! I remember leaving the beautiful Fox Theater that night saying that I will never see another concert that could touch that one. Hundreds of concerts later I still haven't seen a show by anyone that has even come close! When I saw your ticket image on your post I about fell off my chair. I,unfortunatley have lost my stub,but it was the same,but it was marked with a pen from the cute usherette making my seat in Row F Seat 112. I remember that even all these years later.

Thanks for the memories. It was twenty five years ago tonight! Hard to believe!

Riffy
26th October 2006 09:17 PM
Nellcote happy happy.
Great story!
I've never been to the Fox.
Historic place ya'll got there.
I'm listening to One From The Road by a small southern band named Lynyrd Skynyrd right now...recorded at THE FOX...
"Hot as a box in the forest fire...."
26th October 2006 09:40 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
happy happy.
Great story!
I've never been to the Fox.
Historic place ya'll got there.
I'm listening to One From The Road by a small southern band named Lynyrd Skynyrd right now...recorded at THE FOX...
"Hot as a box in the forest fire...."

Yeah Nelly it's a great venue. The accoustics are brilliant. It's just such a perfect place for a show. I remember going to Radio City thinking that it would be so nice. Well,let me tell you,Radio City ain't got shit on The Fox. The Fox is WAY nicer. It's set up like an Arabian Oasis with stars twinkling in the ceiling,and clouds projected over a night sky which actually "float" by. Very cool,and the Stones are known to be big fans of the Fox for these reasons. In fact Keith started his first ever Wino's tour at the Fox on November 23rd 1988. I was at that show as well. I had second row seats for that show! In 1989 when the Stones played in Atlanta at Grant Field(Ga Tech),Jagger said to the crowd,"Last time we played in Atlanta we were at the lovely Fox. If you were there then feel free to come backstage for cake and ice cream!" I never got backstage,and didn't get any fucking cake or ice cream either! However,I still have the memories.

Riffy
26th October 2006 09:50 PM
Nellcote Great story, Riffy.
Those older digs are the nuts.
26th October 2006 11:23 PM
killerbitch Have a great Birthday!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)