ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Voodoo Return to archive
23rd October 2006 03:24 PM
MikeyC613 Why is there so much put down of Voodoo Lounge? I was too young to remember what the response was like when it came out, but it seemed like a kickass rock and roll album. I think if it had come out in 2006 like A Bigger Bang, people would be quite pleased.

If you don't like Voodoo Lounge, I'd like to hear your thoughts why, and if you like A Bigger Bang more than VL, I'd REALLY like to hear why.
23rd October 2006 03:27 PM
MrPleasant I certainly prefer Voodoo Lounge.
23rd October 2006 03:39 PM
Green Tea When Voodoo Lounge came out it got as much (if not more) praise than A Bigger Bang. It was also a much bigger seller.

I prefer Voodoo Lounge to ABB. Although it is fairly close. Both albums have too much filler on them.

If Voodoo had lost (Sweethearts Together,Brand New Car,Suck on the Jugular and I Go Wild) and added Jump on Top of Me, So Young and The Storm. It would be considered a latter day masterpiece.

ABB has way to much filler on it. I would have lost
(Driving to Fast,Sweet Neo-Con, Biggest Mistake,Look What The Cat Dragged In) This album would be remembered in a better light if it had only 12 songs.Rather than stretching for 16 songs.

Contrary to popular belief neither Under the Radar or Don't Want to go Home are better than what's on the cd.

It's not that any of those songs are really bad. It's that they aren't up to the Stones lofty standards. All of the songs I would leave off the album would make for great b-sides.
23rd October 2006 04:45 PM
Some Guy I haven't felt the urge to list to VL in a while. I may need to revisit this.
23rd October 2006 04:53 PM
Saint Sway At the time when VL came out I played it non-stop. Loved every tune.

I was also young and heavily inebriated for that entire summer
23rd October 2006 04:57 PM
GotToRollMe I like Voodoo Lounge...certainly more than ABB.
23rd October 2006 04:58 PM
WattsAtScotts Voodoo Lounge, hell, I like 'em both
23rd October 2006 11:35 PM
Egbert I like the production on VL, and a few numbers (LIS, YGMR, TW, TAT), but the rest are either too drawn out and boring (OOT) or too goofy (SOTJ) or both (BNC). Lowest energy level of all their albums. Terrible cover art - even worse than UC, (gasp) DW, and SW. EVERYTHING on VL has been done before and done better - it's like the watered-down bastard child of IORR and ER. Except for that sweet production - I'll give it a listen once in a while for that reason alone.

24th October 2006 07:08 PM
Soldatti VL was a massive hit in 1994, it was #1 in about 20 countries and remained on the US Top 50 during 24 consecutive weeks. Their best comercial performance since 1981.
Musically, it's their last spark of creativity and by far the best album since Tattoo You. It kicks ABB ass, much better songs, more emotion, more hard work, better guitars and better lyrics. They were on fire during 1992-1995.
24th October 2006 08:45 PM
pdog Thru & Thru still gives me chills everytime I listen to it...
24th October 2006 10:06 PM
Bloozehound I love VL, loved it when it came out, and firmly believe it to be their 2nd best album of the last 25 years behind Tattoo You, no doubt it could of been better, they should've inlcuded "jump on top of me"

But what really offends me are the Sweethearts Together bashers who I know have got big, fat turds stuck in that empty cavity between their ears. It's a great little ballad, its got the smooth groove, not to mention Mick & Keith singing together, when was the last time they did that? plus I really dig Flaco's accordian. The songs off the Hook
24th October 2006 10:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I love VL, loved it when it came out, and firmly believe it to be their 2nd best album of the last 25 years behind Tattoo You, no doubt it could of been better, they should've inlcuded "jump on top of me"

But what really offends me are the Sweethearts Together bashers who I know have got big, fat turds stuck in that empty cavity between their ears. It's a great little ballad, its got the smooth groove, not to mention Mick & Keith singing together, when was the last time they did that? plus I really dig Flaco's accordian. The songs off the Hook

Word!
You can't really find the same "musical friendship" in UC, DW, SW, B2B (maybe some exceptions) or ABB.
25th October 2006 12:54 AM
MikeyC613 Yeah I guess I prefer Voodoo because it seemed like such a cohesive Stones album. There was definitely some blood and sweat in those tracks. ABB sounds like it got 2 disrectionary (word?) listens before it was shipped out to stores
26th October 2006 08:25 AM
Poison Dart I agree with the original poster. A Bigger Bang is far too long
26th October 2006 09:17 AM
egon Green Tea wrote and EGON edited:

I prefer Voodoo Lounge to ABB.

If Voodoo had lost Sweethearts Together,Brand New Car,Suck on the Jugular ) and added So Young
It would be considered a latter day masterpiece.

ABB has way to much filler on it. I would have lost
Sweet Neo-Con, Biggest Mistake, infamy, rain fell down

Contrary to popular belief neither Under the Radar or Don't Want to go Home are better than what's on the cd.
They're absolute shite and have a high irritation level

Plus; it seems i have a turt stuck somewhere....

[Edited by egon]
26th October 2006 10:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Why is there so much put down of Voodoo Lounge? I was too young to remember what the response was like when it came out, but it seemed like a kickass rock and roll album. I think if it had come out in 2006 like A Bigger Bang, people would be quite pleased.

If you don't like Voodoo Lounge, I'd like to hear your thoughts why, and if you like A Bigger Bang more than VL, I'd REALLY like to hear why.

I prefer both ABB and BTB to Voodoo Lounge, because I think theyre both more consistently solid (even though both VL and ABB have two or three utter duds) and each has at least a couple of songs that are absolute gems

Voodoo Lounge is a good enough record, but suffers a little because the decision to cram extra songs on because it was their first album in five years brings the standard down a bit. 'Suck on the Jugular' is a fucking terrible song, I've never understood the appeal to some of 'Mean Disposition' and a couple of others have pretty trite lyrics ('Sparks will fly' being the worst offender). They could have dropped three or four songs and it would have been a really memorable 12 song album instead of a quite good 16-song one. Or even replaced a couple of the weaker songs with superior ones that were recorded for the sessions.

On the plus side, its a back to basics sound and it was great to hear Jagger playing harmonica on the first single to be lifted off a new Stones album. I like 'Blinded by rainbows' most notably the sentiment behind it - but its let down by an abomination of a guitar solo

The two songs that Keith sings are really good - especially 'Thru and Thru' (that bit where the drums kick in and then he literally GROWLS the line 'we're ooooooooo-pen 24 hours baby' still gives me goosebumps). Agree with Bloozehound re: 'Sweethearts Together'. 'Brand new car' and 'I Go Wild' are quite funny - the latter has one of those fantastic blocked-chord style riffs that I love on Stones songs (see also 'Dangerous beauty'). 'Out of tears' is one of their better latter day ballads, 'New Faces' and 'Moon is up' are musically quite interesting.

Overall, theres nothing on it though that I'd consider 'outstanding' - unlike the albums that preceded and followed it.

They did a great tour to support it and (unlike now) had the balls to play a large chunk off it per show. It was also the last complete tour they did were money wasnt the be-all and end-all (a few months into BTB they started cancelling a few shows for spurious reasons which were basically financially motivated and also started experimenting with silly ticket prices which led to No Security and the madness that has followed ever since)

Plus it remains the most successful tour of all time and will do for quite a long time (if the current one tops it, it will purely be due to inflation)
[Edited by Gazza]
26th October 2006 07:23 PM
Soldatti Their 90's work is underrated.
26th October 2006 08:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Their 90's work is underrated.

It is. I think theyve delivered three pretty strong albums in a row (and the one before it, Steel Wheels, has dated a bit but contains three songs that I think are truly magnificent - Cont drift, AHYS and Slipping away)

The only problem with their 'recent' output for me is that its far too sporadic. Four albums in two decades is a somewhat shitty return, especially when you look at their volume of output for the first decade of their career
26th October 2006 09:23 PM
Nellcote Funny this thread should appear.
I was placing some cd's away, came upon VL
"Haven't driven this for a while"...
Yeah, it still moves.
Creative set, as with others, there are a couple of clunkers, however, still one of those Stones issues where things come out at you, when you least expect it.
Right out of the gate, till the end.
Good one it is.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)