ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: OT: Where will the Who debut on the charts? Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd October 2006 03:05 PM
Poison Dart Will The Who have a strong debut like the Stones (ABB #3) or even better like Bob Dylan or Rod Stewart (both hit #1 in the last few months with latest cd's)

Or, will the album be a total flop? It isn't getting a ton of air play. And there is no video (at least not one I have seen) for the new single. It has been 25 years since the last Who album. Plus, P.Townsend is bad mouthing his own band in interviews (saying we wouldn't pay money go see The Who)

I say the album will debut in the lower part of the top 10.
22nd October 2006 03:12 PM
WattsAtScotts "I say the album will debut in the lower part of the top 10."

I agree, what I've heard so far, sounds pretty good
22nd October 2006 03:47 PM
Mel Belli If the thing sells more than 80,000 copies in its first week, I'll be shocked.
22nd October 2006 04:25 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
Will The Who have a strong debut like the Stones (ABB #3) or even better like Bob Dylan or Rod Stewart (both hit #1 in the last few months with latest cd's)

It certainly won't be number 1 as a few are hoping. No Who album has ever made it to number 1 in the US, not even Who's Next and Quadrophenia. If they couldn't do it in the '70's they ain't gonna do it now.
quote:
Plus, P.Townsend is bad mouthing his own band in interviews (saying we wouldn't pay money go see The Who)

Pete has ALWAYS been like this yet everyone seems so shocked. He's been badmouthing the Who from the very beginning. In The Kids Are Alright there's a clip from the mid-60s in which Pete says the Who's problem is they "haven't got any musical quality." And remember all those interviews in the '70's when he made out like the Who were on the verge of breaking up? It got so bad that there were rumors floating around in 1974 that the band really did break up.

It's just Pete being Pete and nothing more.

[Edited by Steamboat Bill, Jr.]
22nd October 2006 05:08 PM
Soldatti Top 20 (if Pete buys at least 20,000 copies)
22nd October 2006 05:48 PM
Dan Somewhere in the top ten for sure. And it doesnt really matter that The Who have never had a #1 CD, chart positions have only been based on sales since 1991.
22nd October 2006 06:04 PM
Joey
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Will The Who have a strong debut like the Stones (ABB #3) or even better like Bob Dylan or Rod Stewart (both hit #1 in the last few months with latest cd's)

Endless Wire will hit #1 on the charts ( U.S. & UK ) ....

...BET THE RANCH !!!!

Joe Sea Scroll
22nd October 2006 06:18 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
Joey wrote:

Endless Wire will hit #1 on the charts ( U.S. & UK ) ....

...BET THE RANCH !!!!

Joe Sea Scroll

I hope!
22nd October 2006 07:23 PM
Route66 I don't know. I got all excited about the new Who album when I saw them on Letterman several weeks ago. When I looked for the new release and it wasn't out yet, I ended up completely forgetting they'll be having a new release.
I'd say if they're going to go on national shows doing songs, they better hurry up and release it while it's in the public's minds.
22nd October 2006 07:40 PM
rolling who Some very good points made here but answer me this: How the hell did Dylan's CD hit No. 1 last month? It's not like he's had a huge publicity machine behind it. He's touring minor league ballparks and playing to crowds usually in the 3,500-5,000 range. The Who are selling out hockey arenas.

I can understand Rod Stewart debuting at No. 1 (plenty of female listeners with no taste, especially baby-boomers). But if Dylan can debut at No. 1, why can't The Who?

That said, I don't think they will. It has always amazed me they've never had a No. 1 album in the US and only one ('WHo's Next,' for a week) in the UK.
22nd October 2006 07:42 PM
WattsAtScotts Has it been found on any bittorrent sites
22nd October 2006 08:00 PM
Joey
quote:
rolling who wrote:

That said, I don't think they will. It has always amazed me they've never had a No. 1 album in the US and only one ('WHo's Next,' for a week) in the UK.

That IS amazing !!!!

However , I was in BEST BUY last week asking the young clerks just when THE WHO's new album will arrive in the store and the kids knew the correct date : October 31st .

Pete has always written great War Songs ( especially about Wars that are being lost .. ie : Vietnam and now Iraq ) and young people are now flocking to this band with an enthusiam I have not seen since 1982 .

Word .

JOEYKINS !
22nd October 2006 09:47 PM
Soldatti Some high profile releases that week, I can't see them in the top 10.
22nd October 2006 11:54 PM
sammy davis jr. #136
23rd October 2006 03:01 AM
DrJimmy The Who don't have nearly as much appeal today as Dylan or The Stones.

They can still play big arenas (barely), but they can't fill stadiums. The album will probably just make the top 10 and then drop like a lead you-know-what.
23rd October 2006 05:47 AM
Zack I say album of the year.
23rd October 2006 06:07 AM
glencar
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:

I think some of these after-the-concert CD's might chart higher!
23rd October 2006 10:38 AM
Green Tea 1 week in the top 10
23rd October 2006 10:52 AM
Fiji Joe I has a posse

23rd October 2006 10:53 AM
Joey
quote:
Zack wrote:
I say album of the year.

I say , " Sell Corn " !!!!!!!!

23rd October 2006 11:59 AM
rolling who
quote:
DrJimmy wrote:
The Who don't have nearly as much appeal today as Dylan or The Stones.

They can still play big arenas (barely), but they can't fill stadiums. The album will probably just make the top 10 and then drop like a lead you-know-what.

Then why, may I ask, is Dylan's tour only playing 5,000-seat minor league stadiums while The Who are selling out hockey arenas like MSG and Boston Garden? And adding shows, too!?!?
23rd October 2006 12:50 PM
DrJimmy
quote:
rolling who wrote:

Then why, may I ask, is Dylan's tour only playing 5,000-seat minor league stadiums while The Who are selling out hockey arenas like MSG and Boston Garden? And adding shows, too!?!?

because The Who still have a strong reputation as a GREAT, powerful live band and Dylan's shows have a reputation for being hit-or-miss, and even downright boring.

a lot more adults are likely to put Dylan's album on the stereo than the Who's album. Modern Times (like Love & Theft & Time Out of Mind) is pretty easygoing and has a nice, "cool," rootsy feel. even if you're not a huge Dylan fan, the music works well in the background. but The Who's recordings don't generally have that kind of appeal. they're better if you want to be ROCKED, which, again, is why people go to their live show: for the big epic, anthemic sound...
[Edited by DrJimmy]
[Edited by DrJimmy]
[Edited by DrJimmy]
23rd October 2006 01:18 PM
WattsAtScotts What else comes out on halloween

1.The Who-Endless Wire
2.KISS-Kissology
and I know there's more
23rd October 2006 01:19 PM
rasputin56
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think some of these after-the-concert CD's might chart higher!

Straight up! I just got mine over the weekend. Why all bands don't do this is beyond me.
23rd October 2006 02:19 PM
Joey
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:

Straight up! I just got mine over the weekend. Why all bands don't do this is beyond me.

Amen !!!!

23rd October 2006 02:34 PM
Some Guy may be the next-

23rd October 2006 02:40 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
may be the next-

That was bad....the worst album since ABB.
23rd October 2006 02:43 PM
glencar
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:

I would love to see the Stones do this. I've only had a chnace to listen to the CD's which are great. I really look forward to catching the DVD at some point.
23rd October 2006 02:44 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

That was bad....the worst album since ABB.

Puh-leeze! ABB rocked. Why this incessant downtrodding of ABB?
23rd October 2006 02:44 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Puh-leeze! ABB rocked. Why this incessant downtrodding of ABB?

Nanky ?!

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)