ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy Halloween!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: different types of CDRs? Return to archive
10-27-02 12:53 PM
wkoetke Hey all, since most of us are into heavy CDR trees/trading lately, I'm wondering what types of CDRs folks generally use.

In particular, I'm wondering if there's anything special about CDRs that are published as "audio" CDRs. These are generally 3 or 4 times as expensive (say 45 cents US each) as regular bulk CDRs that aren't specially labeled for audio (say, 15 cents US each).

I've generally used the cheapest ones and haven't had any problems, but am I missing something by not forking over some extra money for CDRs listed as "specially for audio"?

Thanks for any thoughts.
10-27-02 02:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Walt...

"Audio" CDRs are used by people with stand alone burners. They are exactly the same as the cheaper CDRs, except they have a special code on them that is read by the stand alone burner, allowing their use in the machine.

The other CDRs are "Data" CDRs and are used by people with computer CDRW drives. Because CDRW drives do not require the audio code for use, you can use them if you use a computer to burn.

The special code is actually a copyright override. In effect, you are paying that extra money for royalty payments on copyrighted material. Because "data" CDRs are also used for non-copyrighted uses, IE. data back up, storing images, etc....no copyright override code is required.

Audio CDRs and Data CDRs are the same kind of media...one kind is not specifically better than the other. It only matters which you use depending on what you burn with.

HOWEVER!

With CDRs, as with anything else, you get what you pay for. I have had nothing but problems with cheap, no name discs. Memorex plain sux. You get lots of digi-noise, bad burns, and "coasters" with crap discs.

I have had good results with TDK Certified Plus, Maxell, Fuji, Sony, and Kodak Gold. I can usually find one of those brands on sale somewhere, and end up paying almost the same as I would for one of the "cheapy" brands.

My advice is spend the extra couple of dollars on good media. Your trading partners will appreciate it.
10-27-02 03:22 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Because CDRW drives do not require the audio code for use, you can use them if you use a computer to burn.

SS i found out, after some frustrating times trying before i was set straight, that CDRWs will burn audio tracks but they will not play back in your home or car stereo

Walt,do not use CDRWs only CDR
10-27-02 03:39 PM
wkoetke Thanks Stonesalot and Stonedinaustrailia. That's exactly what I was looking for. Since I do all burning on my PC, your tips just saved me money!
10-27-02 03:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, I should have made that clear SIA. CDRW drives will burn onto either CDRW or CDR. However only CDR is compatable with most consumer quality players.