ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy Halloween!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bobby Keys sues Nashville dentist Return to archive
10-25-02 01:32 PM
CS Rolling Stones sideman sues Nashville dentist

AP/Bobby Keys plays the saxophone in Austin, Texas, in 1987. Keys filed a malpractice suit against a Nashville dentist yesterday.

By CHRISTIAN BOTTORFF
Staff Writer

A Nashville tenor saxophonist who has played with the Rolling Stones for decades has accused a Nashville dentist of performing a faulty procedure that is keeping the musician off the band's tour and is otherwise damaging his music career.

Bobby Keys, known for his work on popular albums such as the Stones' Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, blames caps that will not stay on his teeth for keeping him off the tour. The caps also kept him from playing on the Rolling Stones' latest release, the suit states.

His malpractice suit, which is seeking an unspecified amount of compensatory and punitive damages, was filed yesterday in Davidson County Circuit Court.

Attempts to reach Keys and his attorneys were unsuccessful yesterday.

The dentist identified in the suit, H. Larry Grissom, said in a telephone interview yesterday that Keys' teeth were in poor shape when he started seeing the saxophonist as a patient. Grissom said he started working on Keys' teeth a year ago to correct what another dentist had done.

''It was a mess,'' said Grissom, whose practice is on 21st Avenue South. ''Once I got all the old stuff out, then we had problems from there.''

The procedure was done around August of last year, Keys' suit states.

Grissom said he had not seen the suit and will be reviewing it with a lawyer.

In his lawsuit, Keys said faulty procedures caused him to lose ''thousands of dollars'' and threatened his career. Keys receives $5,000 per appearance, according to his suit.

The Rolling Stones have been on tour in the United States since early last month. They play in Atlanta this weekend and are scheduled for a Nov. 25 show at the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

A Toronto dentist told Keys that Grissom ''ground away too much material, leaving stumps that were too small to hold the crowns in a stable condition,'' the lawsuit states.

Grissom, in yesterday's interview, also raised questions about whether Keys was biting too hard on a piece stuck on the end of his instrument, called a setup, which causes saxophones to make noise.

Keys had a history of similar dental procedures, Grissom said. Keys' teeth were breaking off and falling out, Grissom said. One tooth even had to be removed, Grissom said. The old dental work had to be taken out, he said.

Keys' suit said Grissom is ''negligent'' in that he ''repeatedly assured Keys that the procedure was routine, that (Grissom) had performed the procedure on numerous occasions and that there was no risk�'' it would keep Keys from working as a professional sax player.

Keys has been playing saxophone since the 1950s, with artists such as Buddy Holly, Sheryl Crow and B.B. King, according to the allmusic.com Web site.
10-25-02 01:39 PM
nankerphelge Man, that has got to be one of the biggest, ugliest doses of bad breath known to mankind blowin' thru that sax!

Bobby Keys -- not just another purty face....
10-25-02 02:34 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Man, that has got to be one of the biggest, ugliest doses of bad breath known to mankind blowin' thru that sax!

Bobby Keys -- not just another purty face....

Yeah, I still think similar problems with Keef's Teef are what made the Glimmer Twins stop sharing a microphone.

The thing I don't understand is: Bobby's been on the tour every date - hasn't he? So what's he talking about? Is this a current article or from 1981?
10-25-02 02:35 PM
Nellcote The item of $5k. per show took me back.

He's been with them, for what, 32 years?

Maybe, he should attempt the suit route that Johnny Johnson
(encouraged by Keith) did to Chuck Berry, for royalties.

What say, counselor, does Bobby prevail over the dentist?

Will someone please find Rusty the bailif?
10-25-02 02:47 PM
nankerphelge And rotten teeth bad breath ain't like Chinese-food-the-day-after bad breath neither! Havin' to smell rotten teeth bad breath'll get ya agitated real quick like. When the caps fell off and all that was left was some stubs -- noooooo thanks Keys - yer off the tour!
10-25-02 03:24 PM
luxury1 I have seen Keith up close, and he has one of the worst set of caps I've ever seen on a rich mother-fucker. And they stop too soon, leaving a big ole gap on the back right side of his mouth. I think I've been standing too close to the stage recently, if that is all I have to report on!! But it's true damn it.