ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy Halloween!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: whoa! Where'd the encores go?? Return to archive
10-25-02 01:08 PM
Saint Sway why have they been dropping encores from arena shows????

WTF? not that I need to hear JJFlash again but the end result is that their basically eliminating one more song from the set
10-25-02 01:12 PM
jb 2 night in S. Florida..they finish B stage..I thought we would get SFD , and encore with JJF..but no..only JJF and no encore!!!
10-25-02 01:20 PM
stonesmik Bad audiences don't get no encores. If there is not enough noise and applause and stomping and yelling at the end of a concert, no encore is needed.

Besides the Stones have always been quite reluctant with giving encores. Too often they have played an encore just as part of the concert instead for people who really WANT and NEED and SCREAM for an encore, like it should be.
10-25-02 01:55 PM
jb They have always since 81(with rare exceptions) given an encore...this is very unusual...to be fair, the S.Florida crowds(especially Miami..only 12,000) did suck...but other venues have also not had encores...please explain...
10-25-02 02:04 PM
stonesmik In my opinion the usual concert should have no encores. But if there is an audience that really enjoys the music and the band and themselves and MAKES THAT CLEAR - then an encore is alright.

Too many people nowadays stop screaming and clapping etc when the lights go on or when they see some non-fans are already leaving their places. Such people don't deserve encores.

In fact it's one of the biggest moments in a good concert to scream for an encore, and the better if you get one when no one expects one. Suckcess! I have been at concerts where the people rambled for 20 minutes and the bands just HAD to reappear because otherwise: riot.
[Edited by stonesmik]
10-25-02 03:00 PM
Dear Doctor after they leave the B-stage the concert is over,
anything after that is an encore, true you only got 1 instead of 2. but you did get a encore
10-25-02 03:07 PM
sandrew Only 12,000 at the Miami show? I thought they had sold about 18,000 each at both South Florida shows?
10-25-02 07:04 PM
Street Fighting Man With the prices of the Stones tickets they should be going the extra mile (i.e., give an encore)!
10-25-02 09:45 PM
stonedinaustralia i'm with stonesmik on this one

encores should be earned by both audience and band

the obligatory encore has been a blight for some years now

another win for the under-assistant west-coast promotion man
10-25-02 10:47 PM
VoodooTattoo We got 2 encores in Columbus...Midnight Rambler and JJF...but I didnt know the concert was supposed to be over after the B stage...what is that shit about they must have changed it.
10-27-02 01:05 PM
Oatsdad
quote:
after they leave the B-stage the concert is over,
anything after that is an encore, true you only got 1 instead of 2. but you did get a encore

This is correct. All of the people bitching about the lack of encore are wrong. They handled it differently in FL, but "JJF" still acts as the encore...

quote:
Only 12,000 at the Miami show? I thought they had sold about 18,000 each at both South Florida shows?

I didn't count, but the place looked pretty full to me. Some of the upper sections at the opposite end of the stage were blocked off and no one sat there, but I'm sure the place still contained more than 12,000 people - 18,000 looked a lot closer to correct...
[Edited by Oatsdad]
10-27-02 03:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot I thought it was common knowledge that the arena concerts ended on the B Stage. I think there was a discussion about that right after the Fleet Center gig.

It's just a matter of if you get one or two encore songs.
10-28-02 04:44 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i'm with stonesmik on this one

encores should be earned by both audience and band

the obligatory encore has been a blight for some years now

another win for the under-assistant west-coast promotion man

And I'm with both of you on it! Too often audiences just turn up at a concert with that, (as Mick says in Stones In The Park,)"Aye_entertainment night! Alright laddie, entertain me!" It's a give, and take affair. If an audience deserve an encore the band will give it, but we shouldn't just accept one for the price of a ticket. It's like The bands TIP, a tip to the audience for being a great crowd.