ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy Halloween!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Palais Royale Soundboard Return to archive
10-20-02 02:14 PM
Stray Cat Just finished burning this superb recording .
Purchased my first C.D. WRITER yesterday.
I'm in Rock n'Roll heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-21-02 06:45 PM
mikecooper good then burn me a copy.
lots to trade.

email me

[email protected]

10-21-02 07:21 PM
Nasty Habits Do you really like it?

I just got a copy of it a few days ago, and while the recording is outstanding, I think the performance is not very good. The band sounds very tentative, most of the songs really don't work very well, and there is no chemistry audible on the tape at all. I'm sure it was very exciting to be there, but as far as a revisitable musical performance it makes me cringe. With the exception of Heart of Stone, Don't Stop and Hot Stuff, I think this tape is not representative of the band in 2002 whatsoever. I remember people treating Mathijs like a war criminal for his review of the Palais Royale soundboard, and it turns out that the only thing he did wrong was assume the rest of the shows sound like this, which they don't. I will take the pretty decent audience recording I have of the Orpheum over the "perfect" soundboard at the Palais ten falls out of ten, for sheer quality of performance alone.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
10-22-02 10:57 AM
Sir Stonesalot I kinda expect this with those "secret club gigs". I haven't heard the band really cooking on any of them. Even the shows that were recorded pretty good, IE. Double Door, are pretty flat. You can tell the band is just working stuff out.

I'm still glad I have this thing in my collection, even though I doubt that I ever listen to it again.
10-22-02 12:36 PM
Maxlugar Unlike the Tower show which rips balls!

I love it!

MAXY!
10-22-02 01:16 PM
marko maxy,do you have orpheum yet?or aragon?i have very nice
versions of them!
What about those vids?
10-22-02 02:37 PM
T&A Well, I think the performance is light-years beyond the Double Door. Wild Horses is nice, If You Can't Rock Me kicks ass (although it has certainly gotten better), Can't Turn You Loose is damned-near perfect....and I could go on. This is a very good show in outstanding quality, IMO.
10-23-02 08:40 PM
Bluzian Well.. I just received a cd copy of the Palais show from an
old friend of mine, and contrary to the nay-sayers on here
regarding this particular show, it smokes man~!! I am the
most critical bastard around (especially with Stones
performances), and brother, I don't know what you're smoking,
but, this show kicks ass!! Maybe you got the breakfast show?
I got the *PRIMO* version and it's like I'm leaned up against
Ronnie Wood's amplifier creaming my jeans listening#@%)(*!@%
I'm sweating now just listening to it, *tingles* and ready
to bust a nut it's so sexy! This is top notch playing. Even
with the slight few and far between errors.. I have to refute
your disappointing review.

PS: It's better than RPM, better than Brixton, better than
Double Door.. (don't know about Paradiso though..?)

Maybe you ought to do a RE-listen to it? Turn the volume up
and transcend yourself back to the concert (you went to) and
I promise the PALAIS will take you there~. :-) Good luck!

Ian

PS: and Sam, if you read this, thanks man!! Montreal!!!
10-23-02 10:24 PM
Nasty Habits Sorry, dude, but quality sonics don't equal energy and this show sounds completely flat to me, complete with the worst Honky Tonk Women of all time.

10-24-02 07:33 AM
justforyou Sorry Nasty, but wouldn't you expect the performances to improve along the way ? Anyway, listen to the guitar crunching in on 'Yeah you got, nasty boots' and then the bassy double tones before the next verse....to me thats better than on sticky fingers.
10-24-02 10:11 AM
cherryred do most of you have this sourced from mp-3's or as a cd-r copy? I have this sourced from mp-3's at 160 kb/s and it sounds really good. I agree that the performance is not the greatest but it was fun to listen to. Despite my desire for recordings as close to the original as possible, I have found that a great recording compressed properly by mp-3 can still sound great.
10-24-02 11:54 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
justforyou wrote:
Sorry Nasty, but wouldn't you expect the performances to improve along the way ? Anyway, listen to the guitar crunching in on 'Yeah you got, nasty boots' and then the bassy double tones before the next verse....to me thats better than on sticky fingers.

I would indeed expect performances to improve along the way, and I know for a fact that they have. The Orpheum tape is nothing short of AMAZING. Great energy, great playing - Keith actually blows out some genuinely terrific lines, and Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is coming along. I still don't buy the front half of CYHMK, not even in its current version, and I find the Palais version absolutely tentative. The back half is pure rough draft. Not even close to Sticky Fingers.

That said, I do like the Heart of Stone on the Palais CD and I think that the arrangement on Hot Stuff is pretty much brilliant. But they've surpassed this perrformance already and I do hope that, due to its excellent sound quality, it does not become the standard by which this tour is judged.

"Lookin for the FUC soundboard as we speak, Ronnie!"

10-24-02 01:18 PM
RubyFriday
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
still don't buy the front half of CYHMK, not even in its current version, and I find the Palais version absolutely tentative. The back half is pure rough draft.Not even close to Sticky Fingers.

Totally agree.The best version IMO so far is the FUC.Part 2 total energy,but still 2 songs put together.The thrill of the SF version is the fusion of both parts.
10-25-02 01:19 AM
Bluzian Again.. for a very first warm-up show, I think the PALAIS is
incredible. And I'm sure CYHMK has improved along the way..?
I have no way of verifying that..

But HeartofStone is brilliant. So is CantTurnYouLoose! I think
that this Palais show captures the essence of the band in
late summer, and it's exactly taht, a warm-up show.

I'll tell ya something: I caught the Kravitz/Crowes/A'smith
gig at Wembley a few years ago.. and despite having front
row, Aerosmith was sooo fucking perfect, I leaped over the
barrier in disgust, that it was too perfect. It was flawless.
I can't deal with taht. There's gotta be some F-ups. It makes
it more real - and perhaps thats why "I" dig PALAIS?

I think the CYHMK intro could be a helluvalot thicker and
nastier; I mean, I assume Keith is using a Tele? WhY!??
And Ronnie's work is too thin on the strat. They need to
darken it and deepen it. But you must agree that BobbyKeys
'staccato' playing is incredible, no?

I don't know what type of quality I have here (mp3?) I just
know taht it is crystal fucking clear that I can hear
hissing from the amps and every little nuance ithas to offer.
The vocals are way up in the mix.

I don't like any post 1980's versoin of HTW anyway.. so I
completely write that one off immediately. They just don't
have the swagger they used to have wiht it. HTW is too
smhaltzy.. it's too predictable. Can he never insert the
sailers of Paris are so charming once and again for novelty
sake?? They need to re-work this.. maybe do Country Honk
in lieu of? I think IORR sucks too.. but you take the good
with the bad right? I personally love the steel guitar twang
that RonWood provides for Torn&Frayed. It's near identical
to the original.

Catch you guys later.

Ian

PS: How was Shaggy at the FLA gigs?? ;-|
10-25-02 09:27 AM
vuduman Any chance of getting a copy? My computer has been down since 10/2, so I haven't been able to get in on any cdr trees. Can also make copies.

Thanx
THE VUDUMAN
10-25-02 11:26 AM
Nasty Habits Mick's vocal on "I Can't Turn You Loose" is entirely badass -- I will grant that 100%. The tempo is draggy on it though, and Keith does not have enough presence. These problems, from what I have heard, have yet to be corrected. It's a shame, because I love the idea of them doing this song. More Keith, less horns.

10-25-02 11:53 AM
RubyFriday They orientate them at the Chambers Brothers - Version
10-25-02 12:58 PM
Jacques Hi
anychance to get a Tree ?
Any chance to trade for a copy ?
Answer will be appreciated
Thanks in advance