ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Ugly Helloween everyone!
©eharms325 and thanks SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Davies irons out the kinks Return to archive
21st October 2007 06:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article2689780.ece
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
21st October 2007 07:08 PM
sirmoonie A rare good read there, Moat.

Will be buying new Davies' CD. Yes. Yep.
21st October 2007 07:18 PM
MrPleasant Not classic material (the new song, "Vietnam Cowboys") but it's endearing.
21st October 2007 07:25 PM
MrPleasant

Something from the past
21st October 2007 07:59 PM
Prodigal Son Kinks were great for a while there but sorta lost their way post-1971 with some overblown conceptual albums and then they regrouped and under sales figure guru Clive Davis made a comeback with non-offensive, commercial hard rock at Arista. This was debtedly a step up over their 71-76 period. They were mostly a singles band again, as individual songs stood out but not LPs unlike the awesome Face to Face-Muswell Hillbillies run of 66-71. More like their ability to churn out singles before 66 (when none of their LPs was truly outstanding), but not nearly as great. Still, they had their prime and were a great little group. Of course 90% of the credit goes to Ray Davies.
21st October 2007 08:02 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Something from the past

This would be from the hard rock period I talked about. Recycled riffs and samey songs but hey, they were still an awesome live band as you can see here. I love how Ray as frontman was nearly as wild on stage as Mick. Without his guitar, it was pretty funny to watch. Maybe booze was a factor, but whatever it's all good.
21st October 2007 08:49 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

This would be from the hard rock period I talked about. Recycled riffs and samey songs but hey, they were still an awesome live band as you can see here. I love how Ray as frontman was nearly as wild on stage as Mick. Without his guitar, it was pretty funny to watch. Maybe booze was a factor, but whatever it's all good.

I agree. One nagging factor is the recycling factor. But, still (as you implied), "The Hard Way" is a tremendously fun song.

Still, there were some nice things going for the Kinks in the eighties, and not merely because of that goofy and ultra-catchy "Come Dancing" hit. There were: "The Road", "Yo-Yo", "Long Distance", "Do It Again", "Heart of Gold" and their last official tune (I think): "To the Bone". The cheese factor was at an all time high, in the bad sense, definitely, with those Preservation albums.

[Edited by MrPleasant]
22nd October 2007 12:36 AM
Zack I think there was some great stuff mixed into the 72-77 period of the Kinks, though some bizarre (like three songs about food on Everybody's in Showbiz), but that album also had the stunning Sitting in My Hotel. Preservation Part I was an interesting start to the saga with strong tunes all around including a heartfelt plea to his ex wife in Lady Genevive, but Part II lost the plot badly. Not one memorable song on the whole double album. Schoolboys was a great album, and Soap Opera, though patchy at the end, is one of the funniest rock albums I know.
22nd October 2007 09:26 AM
pagey666.6
quote:
Zack wrote:
I think there was some great stuff mixed into the 72-77 period of the Kinks, though some bizarre (like three songs about food on Everybody's in Showbiz), but that album also had the stunning Sitting in My Hotel. Preservation Part I was an interesting start to the saga with strong tunes all around including a heartfelt plea to his ex wife in Lady Genevive, but Part II lost the plot badly. Not one memorable song on the whole double album. Schoolboys was a great album, and Soap Opera, though patchy at the end, is one of the funniest rock albums I know.

Genevieve is a classic...Fantastic song!!!!! Don't forget Celluloid Heroes on Showbiz too, Heroes & Hotel are absolute killers. I like Preservation Act 1 a lot, but there are a couple of good tunes on Preservation 2, dispite the fact that it's bloated. Nobody Gives and Artificial Man are pretty good. And Soap Opera is pretty fun, too, although it's not the best thing the Kinks ever did!!!!
22nd October 2007 12:05 PM
aladdinstory
They were definitely a different band after '71, but during those Arista years from Low Budget to the vastly underrated Word of Mouth, they made a series of strong rock albums.

In addition to the more well known tracks, also a lot of hidden gems along the way during that five year run: "Moving Picture," "Summer's Gone," "Heart of Gold," "Pressure," "Better Days", etc...

I would agree they did recycle alot of riffs during those years (not even all their own though--"Catch Me Now I'm Fallin'-JJF") and while not on par with their Face to Face through Lola run, those albums stand up well on their own. Give The People What They Want I think being the weakest of the bunch.

Even the Kink's MCA debut "Think Visual" has it's moments. But the two studio releases after that were spotty at best "UK Jive" and the practically unlistenable, "Phobia."

quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Kinks were great for a while there but sorta lost their way post-1971 with some overblown conceptual albums and then they regrouped and under sales figure guru Clive Davis made a comeback with non-offensive, commercial hard rock at Arista. This was debtedly a step up over their 71-76 period. They were mostly a singles band again, as individual songs stood out but not LPs unlike the awesome Face to Face-Muswell Hillbillies run of 66-71. More like their ability to churn out singles before 66 (when none of their LPs was truly outstanding), but not nearly as great. Still, they had their prime and were a great little group. Of course 90% of the credit goes to Ray Davies.

22nd October 2007 04:30 PM
MRD8 If you have access to Demonoid you can download Ray's new CD here:http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1393937/12008283

23rd October 2007 02:56 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Zack wrote:
I think there was some great stuff mixed into the 72-77 period of the Kinks, though some bizarre (like three songs about food on Everybody's in Showbiz), but that album also had the stunning Sitting in My Hotel. Preservation Part I was an interesting start to the saga with strong tunes all around including a heartfelt plea to his ex wife in Lady Genevive, but Part II lost the plot badly. Not one memorable song on the whole double album. Schoolboys was a great album, and Soap Opera, though patchy at the end, is one of the funniest rock albums I know.

Zack, if by any weird chance you happen to be in México (no weird stuff, here), you have a friend, here.

This is so corny, I might get drunk this morning!
23rd October 2007 03:59 AM
pdog I hope this gets a US release...
23rd October 2007 04:05 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
pdog wrote:
I hope this gets a US release...

pdog, I hope that you consider myself as a friend of yours too. I'm so corny!!
23rd October 2007 07:09 AM
Zack
quote:
pdog wrote:
I hope this gets a US release...

download it here

http://zinhof.blog.hr/2007/10/index.html
23rd October 2007 07:18 AM
Zack
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Zack, if by any weird chance you happen to be in México (no weird stuff, here), you have a friend, here.

Never been, but I'll keep the open invitation in mind. Love the food and beverages, not to mention the senoritas.

You ever find those "lost" tracks like Mr. Reporter, Creepin' Jean, Lincoln County, etc.? I think that's what I tried to send you last year. I'll re-send them.
23rd October 2007 07:52 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Zack wrote:

Never been, but I'll keep the open invitation in mind. Love the food and beverages, not to mention the senoritas.

You ever find those "lost" tracks like Mr. Reporter, Creepin' Jean, Lincoln County, etc.? I think that's what I tried to send you last year. I'll re-send them.

No need to worry. Very kind of you. The postal service is so bad, here in México, that Santa Claus died here and nobody knows anything from him.

When I'll be rich and famous, I will purchase every Kinks album in existence, and I will be loved by people everywere. I even have the date: it will be in the year 2345.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)