ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Ugly Helloween everyone!
Šeharms325 and thanks SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Springsteen album & tour October 2nd (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
11th August 2007 06:04 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
Got Me Rockin wrote:

From Jagger:
"Oh, yeah, (I saw the Springsteen show). (Laughs) Sure, through the bear and everything. I liked it. I thought the band sounded wonderful; I thought he sounded wonderfully well. It was better than when I saw him last time around. I thought the drums sounded fantastic. I took the kids also. To tell you the truth, the kids did not like it very much."

From Richards:
" That's a tough one, because I like the GUY... I love his attitude. I love what he WANTS to do. I just think he's gone about it the wrong way. These are just my opinions, and OK, I'll annoy the lot of you. Bruce? Too contrived for me. Too overblown.
"

Hey thanks. I bet Jagger was lying through his teeth. You know how phony/diplomatic he can be. Keth is completey honest. Bruce is contrived. When was the last time Bruce worked for minimum wage and yet that's all he sings about.
11th August 2007 06:08 PM
fireontheplatter the last brand new cd i bought was, a bigger bang.
bruces will most likely be the next one i buy.

i hope he pounds out 4 hour shows like in the 80's....god they were fun. tell ya'll a story. me and my bro were pounding beers before one of his born in the usa shows and we had to leave...but shortly before we did we put 8-10 beers in the freezer and then we took off for the show forgetting we'd left them in there...1/2 way to the show we were like oh noooooo, we remembered...all the beer stores were closed when we got back from the show..
do any of you know how long it takes a frozen beer to thaw?

burn burn burn
11th August 2007 06:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

Hey thanks. I bet Jagger was lying through his teeth. You know how phony/diplomatic he can be. Keth is completey honest. Bruce is contrived. When was the last time Bruce worked for minimum wage and yet that's all he sings about.

Bruce Springsteen was not born rich, he wasn't born a rock star. He worked hard at being both... You sound jealous.
i don't like all his music, but what i do like, I like alot.
11th August 2007 06:32 PM
robpop
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

Well I created a little stir. Sorry if I touched on a sore spot. You can't compare Keith at 64 with Bruce. And even so, I'll take Keith any day even now. Here's a list from Rolling Stone Magazine of the top 100 guitarists of all time: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time.
Keith is number ten. Bruce Springstein isn't even on the list. And I maintain his singing amounts to a grunt. And he's boring. Bruce's songs amount to this: "Well, I've been working real hard and the boss man's a bitch and life just sucks and then they'll throw you in jail and then you die." Hahahahaha. He needs to get a new shtick.

Bruce or any of his fans, including myself, would never claim that he is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Also there is not another huge mainstream artist that puts on a live show live Bruce and the ESB. Bruce is getting older now, and he does not have the energy he once had, but the last time I saw Bruce and the ESB they played for nearly 3 1/2 hours. I much as I love the Stones I don't think they ever came close to playing that long even in their prime.
11th August 2007 06:50 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
pdog wrote:

Bruce Springsteen was not born rich, he wasn't born a rock star. He worked hard at being both... You sound jealous.
i don't like all his music, but what i do like, I like alot.

So what does that mean? Any musician you don't like you're jealous of. Hey I just don't think he's that great. With all the stuff he's put out are some things I like too. But for the most part I have never understood what makes him so special.
11th August 2007 07:03 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
Bruce is contrived. When was the last time Bruce worked for minimum wage and yet that's all he sings about.

OK, so you don't dig Bruce.
Got it.

However, your blanket assessment of both the man and his music is, IMO, woefully underinformed.

Yeah, he doesn't work for minimum wage, but he also doesn't charge his fans a week's worth of theirs for a ticket.
If you're of a mind - read: a fan - you can see four of his shows for what a top priced Stones ticket costs these days.
And you're very likely to see four completely different setlists.

I like that.
A lot.

Obviously there are others in this thread who share that sentiment and are looking forward to the tour.

You're not.
Got it.

Guess you're done then, right?
11th August 2007 08:02 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Got it.

However, your blanket assessment of both the man and his music is, IMO, woefully underinformed.

Yeah, he doesn't work for minimum wage, but he also doesn't charge his fans a week's worth of theirs for a ticket.
If you're of a mind - read: a fan - you can see four of his shows for what a top priced Stones ticket costs these days.

I like that.
A lot.

Obviously there are others in this thread who share that sentiment and are looking forward to the tour.

You're not.
Got it.

Lets hope so...
11th August 2007 08:20 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Got it.

I like that.
A lot.

You're not.
Got it.

So it's cheaper and it lasts four hours. Wooppee. I rather spend what the Stones charge and listen to them for two hours. That's classic rock and roll.
11th August 2007 08:38 PM
robpop
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

So it's cheaper and it lasts four hours. Wooppee. I rather spend what the Stones charge and listen to them for two hours. That's classic rock and roll.

How about Bruce on the Rolling Stone?

A lot of people do not like him for what he says. I hope that is not your reason.
11th August 2007 11:48 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
robpop wrote:

A lot of people do not like him for what he says. I hope that is not your reason.

You mean his politics? No that has nothing to do with it. Like I've said, he can't sing and he's a mediocre guitarist. I suspect a lot of people like him because of his politics. Frankly I have never understood why people go crazy for him.

Let me be a little more honest here. He does write some good songs. Hungry Heart for instance and Dancing in the Dark and Brilliant Disguise. And Badlands is a great song, despite his mumbling vocals.
11th August 2007 11:56 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
robpop wrote:

That's my reason. When I go to a rock concert the last thing I want to hear is someone talk about their political opinions. It's not the place, nor is it the time.

12th August 2007 12:02 AM
robpop I disagree totally. Politics has always been a part of rock and roll. You don't have to like the message, but it put more passion behind the music.

[Edited by robpop]
12th August 2007 12:12 AM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
robpop wrote:
I disagree totally. Politics has always been a part of rock and roll. You don't have to like the message, but it put more passion behind the music.

[Edited by robpop]

Personally, to me, I never think about politicians if I'm going to write a song. It's like a blank area to me. They all come and go, and I'm trying to write about more universal stuff. But if you feel like (it), then let's go.
A quote from Keefers.

The sad part is, someone people follow Bruce's word (sorry I refuse to call him the boss) to a T. Almost as if these people just blindly follow what stars of stage and screen say and do.

Sorry, I can compose my own opinions, thanks.
12th August 2007 12:53 AM
sweetcharmedlife Gazza,heard anything about west coast shows? Please tell me he will play indoors rather than outdoors. Read a small blurb in a local paper a few weeks ag,that mentioned the possibility of a show(s)in Oakland in Oct? Don't know if it's indoors or outdoors. Would appreciate any info thanks.
12th August 2007 05:55 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

You mean his politics? No that has nothing to do with it. Like I've said, he can't sing and he's a mediocre guitarist. I suspect a lot of people like him because of his politics. Frankly I have never understood why people go crazy for him.

Let me be a little more honest here. He does write some good songs. Hungry Heart for instance and Dancing in the Dark and Brilliant Disguise. And Badlands is a great song, despite his mumbling vocals.

Bruce is an excellent guitar player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pijURu9Qzrg) and the possibly the greatest vocalist in rock'n'roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6qUdo52E3o).
Honestly.
12th August 2007 08:56 AM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
Got Me Rockin wrote:

That's my reason. When I go to a rock concert the last thing I want to hear is someone talk about their political opinions. It's not the place, nor is it the time.

Well, it's true, I don't liked to be preached to either, but I can separate an artist's politics from the work. I try to judge the music, not the message. I find that all these musicians that supposedly write profound stuff to be a bunch of crap. Perhaps that's another reason I dislike Bruce, this supposed profound lyrics thing. Music is music first. What exactly is their experience to talk about issues? If the musician wanted to write about social issues, then he should write an essay or a book or run for Congress. Otherwise I can read about social issues from people who know them.
12th August 2007 09:38 AM
Zack Peasant. Watch those clips.
12th August 2007 10:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
Got Me Rockin wrote:

Aside from the short Vote for Change tour which was specifically geared towards endorsing Kerry, he's never actually done that to any significant degree. He's done two world tours since that, and that subject has barely been commented on.

Seriously, he's no Steve Earle or Patti Smith when it comes to that.
12th August 2007 10:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
Gazza,heard anything about west coast shows? Please tell me he will play indoors rather than outdoors. Read a small blurb in a local paper a few weeks ag,that mentioned the possibility of a show(s)in Oakland in Oct? Don't know if it's indoors or outdoors. Would appreciate any info thanks.

Mentioned the rumoured dates on page 2 of this thread, mate.

here they are :

10/26 Oakland
10/28, 10/29 LA

I've also seen 21 & 22/10 listed as possible LA dates. Either way it should be late October.

They'll be indoors as will all the 2007 dates..

[Edited by Gazza]
12th August 2007 11:43 AM
robpop
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Aside from the short Vote for Change tour which was specifically geared towards endorsing Kerry, he's never actually done that to any significant degree. He's done two world tours since that, and that subject has barely been commented on.

Seriously, he's no Steve Earle or Patti Smith when it comes to that.

I was going to say something similar to that last night, but I was destracted.

One other thing I just wanted to add about Springsteen, ist that he alway donates a percentage of his profits from his show (at least here in my town) to local charities.
12th August 2007 12:21 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Mentioned the rumoured dates on page 2 of this thread, mate.

here they are :

10/26 Oakland
10/28, 10/29 LA

I've also seen 21 & 22/10 listed as possible LA dates. Either way it should be late October.

They'll be indoors as will all the 2007 dates..

[Edited by Gazza]

OK,my skimming got the better of me as usual.I actually read that, but didn't see the Oakland and LA dates mentioned. I'm used to seeing those at the end of a tour,not the middle.(that and the 6 Heinekens I drank last night)......Thanks much. Cheers Gazza.

[Edited by sweetcharmedlife]
12th August 2007 02:47 PM
pdog
quote:
robpop wrote:

I was going to say something similar to that last night, but I was destracted.

One other thing I just wanted to add about Springsteen, ist that he alway donates a percentage of his profits from his show (at least here in my town) to local charities.

You hit a really good point about Bruce... He doesn't charge too much, we know he can play very well and more importantly write song...
BUT!!!
The dude plays a city and he's donating part of the money made to local food banks and what not... Not only is he not a greedy self obsessed rock star, he's just a damn good human being...
Born To Run and Darkness are two great albums IMO. Regardless, I bet if Bruce never made it bg, he's stull be a good guy living in Jersey, doing his thing. I'm not a huge fan, and if I didn't like his music I wouldn't be making stupid and baseless accusations and observations.
[Edited by pdog]
12th August 2007 09:46 PM
Glimmer Twin Hey, for the record, I think he is a good guy. Perhaps I came across strong because i've always felt he is over rated.
12th August 2007 10:06 PM
robpop
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
Hey, for the record, I think he is a good guy. Perhaps I came across strong because i've always felt he is over rated.

You seemed like you trying really hard to prove something. Maybe I was over defensive. Either way its cool.

There are plenty of artists I do not like, but I think they are good people. Also there plenty I do no like, but that does not mean they suck, just I don't like them.
12th August 2007 10:33 PM
stonedinaustralia the lead guitar work on Darkness on the Edge is some of the best around (IMHO)

as for the suggestion that artists shouldn't express their political opinions in their work (instead they should write a book!!) - that is simply ludicrous - the are NO RULES when it comes to artistic expression - none at all - if you don't like what some one is saying well - just don't listen - but don't presume to say that they should not be expressing themselves

besides - life is politics - even suggesting that "politics" be kept out of music is itself a political statment

13th August 2007 03:00 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
the lead guitar work on Darkness on the Edge is some of the best around (IMHO)

as for the suggestion that artists shouldn't express their political opinions in their work (instead they should write a book!!) - that is simply ludicrous - the are NO RULES when it comes to artistic expression - none at all - if you don't like what some one is saying well - just don't listen - but don't presume to say that they should not be expressing themselves

besides - life is politics - even suggesting that "politics" be kept out of music is itself a political statment

This is a flawless post.
16th August 2007 11:51 AM
PartyDoll MEG Here is the latest from http://backstreets.com/news.html

NEW ALBUM: MAGIC
Springsteen back with E Street Band for Oct. 2 release
It's official. Springsteen's first album with the E Street Band since 2002's The Rising drops in less than seven weeks, and it's called Magic. In case that title makes you, like us, think of Doug Henning... check the Mark Seliger photo at right for a first peek at Bruce's 2007 look (click on it for a larger version). No rainbows or unicorns to be found. (And that guitar... that's magic.)

According to manager Jon Landau, quoted in today's press release from Shore Fire Media, this one's a rocker: "Magic is a high energy rock CD. It's light on its feet, incredibly well played by Bruce and the members of the E Street Band, and, as always, has plenty to say. It's also immensely entertaining. Magic is the third collaboration between Bruce and Brendan O'Brien and is a culmination of their very productive creative relationship."

O'Brien produced and mixed the album at his home base in Atlanta, Southern Tracks Recording Studio.

Ready for 11 new Springsteen song titles?

1. Radio Nowhere
2. You'll Be Comin' Down
3. Livin' in the Future
4. Your Own Worst Enemy
5. Gypsy Biker
6. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
7. I'll Work for Your Love
8. Magic
9. Last to Die
10. Long Walk Home
11. Devil's Arcade

Of these, only "Long Walk Home" has been heard before; Springsteen debuted the song with the Sessions Band and played it live exactly once, in London on November 11, 2006 (reportedly the day after he wrote it).

Today's press release makes no mention of a tour, but we do expect a full-scale E Street Band tour to coincide with the album's release. Watch this space in the coming weeks -- and/or sign up for our mailing list below -- for details as soon as a tour is announced.
-August 16, 2007

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
16th August 2007 12:19 PM
Nellcote As someone once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part...."
Thanks Meg!
16th August 2007 02:02 PM
Gazza Yessssssirrr!
16th August 2007 02:20 PM
Dan I'll do an LA show I hope. Was never really a big fan but I saw him at Dodger Stadium in 2003 and it really was an impressive performance. I also like the fact that he doesn't cater to the herd with his setlists.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)