ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Ugly Helloween everyone!
Šeharms325 and thanks SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Springsteen album & tour October 2nd (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
3rd October 2007 11:01 AM
glencar I wish I could have gone but work was fun!
3rd October 2007 08:09 PM
Nellcote
3rd October 2007 11:10 PM
muncy23 That's like the worst stage of all time.
4th October 2007 12:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG Just had to post this one. See if you can spot Nellcote!!!!(just like find Waldo. Hint: upper right corner)

4th October 2007 12:34 PM
glencar I see Nellie!
4th October 2007 01:02 PM
SweetVirginia I love that pic!

Glencar, are you going to either of Bruce's MSG shows?

SV
4th October 2007 01:07 PM
glencar Not as of right now. No tix!
4th October 2007 01:15 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
Not as of right now. No tix!

Oh there are tickets to be had. Just gotta look, Glenny!! And even lots of the "scalpers/brokers" tickets are way way cheaper than Stones tickets!!!

Got my tickets for the last two Boston shows finally and then of course I am going to the Cleveland show!! Can't wait!!!
4th October 2007 01:17 PM
SweetVirginia I'm going on 10/18...try for that one, Glenny.
4th October 2007 01:23 PM
glencar SV, Thursdays are tough for me because of tennis league (It's highly competitive!) & the Nassau Col. show is across the street from work. I might try stubhub, I guess.
4th October 2007 01:30 PM
SweetVirginia Makes sense to go closer to home.
Watch eBay, too.

4th October 2007 02:25 PM
Nellcote Thanks to Snackkracklepop on Shidobee for these photos.
It was still an out of world experience of a show...
4th October 2007 04:12 PM
PartyDoll MEG Just listened to this from Hartford. Damn good!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?amonmctart0
4th October 2007 04:25 PM
fireontheplatter bruce sounds great.
please keep these videos coming, so i don't have to go to a show and spend silly amounts of $.

is nellcote the silver haired older guy wearing specs?
4th October 2007 06:29 PM
glencar Uh, yes, near the top of the pic.
4th October 2007 06:29 PM
glencar Uh, yes, near the top of the pic.
5th October 2007 01:01 AM
MikeyC613 anyone else underwhelmed by the new album? the hype was ludicrous. radio nowhere is good, but nothing else is sticking with me the way that song did.
5th October 2007 08:31 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
anyone else underwhelmed by the new album? the hype was ludicrous. radio nowhere is good, but nothing else is sticking with me the way that song did.

I like it more than you do, but I agree about the hype. It's like theres's a herd mentality that starts at the top and rolls downhill. That people love the album is fine; it's the idea that it's radically different from "The Rising" that bugs me. Or as Entertaint Weekly put it: Bruce is "back in the masterpiece business." Which overstates how good "Magic" is and unfairly maligns "The Rising."

Yes, there are a few more classic-Bruce hooks on "Magic," but I can pretty much give you 11 tracks from "The Rising" that are interchangable with "Magic." They both are overproduced and have Brendan O'Brien written all over them. Anyone who hears "The River" or "Born to Run" on "Magic" hasn't listened to those albums in a long time.

P.S.: I think there was a herd mentality about "A Bigger Bang," too, even as I still like that album. But then, I like "Magic" too. Less knee-jerk praise would be nice all around!
5th October 2007 09:02 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
muncy23 wrote:
That's like the worst stage of all time.

Why?

Because it's not the entire width of a football stadium?

The Stones should be playing on a simple stage like this, if their music could still do the talking.

Keith says that they could play on a milk crate, but they choose to play on jet carrier.

5th October 2007 09:09 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Why?

Because it's not the entire width of a football stadium?

The Stones should be playing on a simple stage like this, if their music could still do the talking.

Keith says that they could play on a milk crate, but they choose to play on jet carrier.

Yep..Bruce isn't into "theatrical spectacles"..Just all about the rock and roll!!!

(and maybe a little political rant here and there )
5th October 2007 11:25 AM
glencar He'll be on 60 Minutes this Sunday. CBS @ 7PM unless football runs overtime.
5th October 2007 11:26 AM
glencar He'll be on 60 Minutes this Sunday. CBS @ 7PM unless football runs overtime.
5th October 2007 02:44 PM
MikeyC613
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yes, there are a few more classic-Bruce hooks on "Magic," but I can pretty much give you 11 tracks from "The Rising" that are interchangable with "Magic." They both are overproduced and have Brendan O'Brien written all over them. Anyone who hears "The River" or "Born to Run" on "Magic" hasn't listened to those albums in a long time.

Spot on. I don't like how Brendan turns this awesome band into a wash of sound. It's not the way the made their bones.

P.S.: I think there was a herd mentality about "A Bigger Bang," too, even as I still like that album. But then, I like "Magic" too. Less knee-jerk praise would be nice all around!

No shit. I think it's a state of anxiety on part of the media who would like to influence similar bands to release material like the Stones or Bruce. Problem is, they tell them that the latest release is a classic, when in reality they should give them 3.5 stars, and tell them to check out the better versions of those songs that were already written earlier in their respective careers. I would love to hear a less produced "Magic" and "A Bigger Bang" without Mick's vocals creeping inside my ear on every track.

5th October 2007 02:45 PM
MikeyC613
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Spot on. I don't like how Brendan turns this awesome band into a wash of sound. It's not the way the made their bones.

No shit. I think it's a state of anxiety on part of the media who would like to influence similar bands to release material like the Stones or Bruce. Problem is, they tell them that the latest release is a classic, when in reality they should give them 3.5 stars, and tell them to check out the better versions of those songs that were already written earlier in their respective careers. I would love to hear a less produced "Magic" and "A Bigger Bang" without Mick's vocals creeping inside my ear on every track.

Makes sense you're from D.C. Mel, you're smart, too. Where'd u go to HS?

5th October 2007 03:32 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
glencar wrote:
SV, Thursdays are tough for me because of tennis league (It's highly competitive!) & the Nassau Col. show is across the street from work. I might try stubhub, I guess.

No show at Nassau on this leg.

Eff stubhub.
Check TM in the days leading up to, or even the day of, a show.
Great seats always get dropped...
5th October 2007 03:35 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle From billboard.com:
Another New Springsteen Album Already Done?

October 05, 2007, 10:45 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Bruce Springsteen isn't always known for working quickly, but he just may have another new album already in the can on the heels of "Magic," released earlier this week via Columbia.

"There's another group of songs that exist that I think are great songs and should end up somewhere, but they just didn't quite fit with this group," says producer Brendan O'Brien, who helmed "Magic" as well as 2002's "The Rising" and 2005's "Devils & Dust."

O'Brien declined to comment on murmurs that the new album could be out as soon as next spring, saying only, "I'll defer to others on that one."

What's clear is that O'Brien has played a key role in one of the most prolific period of album releases in Springsteen's storied career. Before "The Rising," the Boss hadn't made a new studio album in seven years, and hadn't recorded with the E Street Band in nearly 20.

"He had produced his own music with other people for a long time," O'Brien says. "If he was meeting with me, it meant he maybe wanted to try something new and inspired. He needed somebody to help him get over the hump."

In contrast to the somber, Sept. 11, 2001-themed "The Rising," the folk-leaning solo album "Devils & Dust" and last year's all-traditional "The Seeger Sessions," "Magic" offers some of the most melodic songs Springsteen has written in years. The material is tailor-made for the onstage power of the E Street Band, which has just begun a North American tour.

O'Brien credits Springsteen with allowing him to participate in the vetting process, which in turn shaped the mostly high-energy vibe of the new album.
"It was clear he wanted that kind of input, and I let him know right away that that's something I like to do and am helpful with," he says. "On this one, we met at his place and he sat down and played me a bunch of songs. I would be looking at the lyric book while he was singing them. He'd finish, we'd talk, and we'd make notes."

Once ensconced at O'Brien's Atlanta studio, the producer set Springsteen up with a pared-down core band of drummer Max Weinberg, bassist Garry Tallent and pianist Roy Bittan to record basic tracks. Contributions from E Streeters like guitarist Steven Van Zandt, keyboardist Danny Federici and saxophonist Clarence Clemons were added later.

"As best I can tell, everyone else seems at peace with that," O'Brien says. "We'll bring Danny and Steve in, but by that point, I have a better idea as to what we need them for. It makes their overdubbing much more specific."
5th October 2007 03:37 PM
glencar
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

No show at Nassau on this leg.

Eff stubhub.
Check TM in the days leading up to, or even the day of, a show.
Great seats always get dropped...

I was going by the first set of dates in this thread. Thanks for the heads up.
5th October 2007 04:16 PM
_Boomy_ Brendan O'Brien is great. Muthafucka can produce.
5th October 2007 04:43 PM
PartyDoll MEG Boomy..you going to any shows this leg?
5th October 2007 05:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:

Makes sense you're from D.C. Mel, you're smart, too. Where'd u go to HS?

Well, thank ya. I moved here after college. Originally from N.J. -- pdog's neck of the woods (or pine barrens, to be more precise!).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)