ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Charles !
Bobcats Arena - Charlotte, NC
© Charles Lee, Temple's dad!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Goodfellas' Tops British Mag's Goofy Top 100 Return to archive
October 25th, 2005 08:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Goodfellas' Tops British Mag's Goofy Top 100
Mon, Oct 24, 2005, 11:10 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)- Have you ever been at a bar having a conversation when somebody really really drunk said something totally absurd -- like, "Dude, ya know who's an underrated actor? Chris O'Donnell" -- just to start a fight?

The editorial staff at England's Total Film magazine have decided to emulate that sodden tavern companion with a list of the Top 100 films of all-time sure to generate debate, discussion and, frankly, mockery.

The magazine lists Martin Scorsese's "Goodfellas" in the top spot, beating Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" and Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" for the semi-honor. David Fincher's "Fight Club" was the newest film in the Top 10, coming in fourth, better than Francis Ford Coppola's "The Godfather II" and Orson Welles' perennial list-leader "Citizen Kane." Yasujiro Ozu's "Tokyo Story" is the top foreign language film, coming in seventh, better than Irvin Kershner's "The Empire Strikes Back" and Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which somehow gets counted as a single entity. Rounding out the Top 10 is Howard Hawks "His Girl Friday."

"His Girl Friday" is most certainly a candidate for a list of the 10 best screwball comedies, but one of the 10 best films ever? This is a list that figures "It's a Wonderful Life" (No. 15) is a better movie than "The Apartment" (No. 16) and that "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (No. 19) is superior to "Casablanca" (No. 98) or "Lawrence of Arabia" (No. 77).

F.W. Murnau's "Sunrise" is the only silent film in the Top 25 and Ingmar Bergman's "Persona," at No. 11 joins "Tokyo Story" as the only non-English language film in that group.

Of "Goodfellas," the Total Film editors declare, "'Goodfellas' has it all -- story, dialogue, performances, technique."

The 1990 mobster epic earned Joe Pesci an Oscar for best supporting actor, but the film lost the best picture trophy to Kevin Costner's "Dances with Wolves."

The complete list will appear in book form on Thursday (Oct. 27), but if you keep an eye out online, the Top 100 is bound to appear eventually.

October 25th, 2005 04:22 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. In no way is Goodfellas the best movie ever made (it's not even Scorsese's best) and Fight Club doesn't even deserve a spot anywhere near the top 100.
quote:
F.W. Murnau's "Sunrise" is the only silent film in the Top 25

The lack of respect silent films have in society is a crime. Some of the best movies ever made are silent.
October 25th, 2005 07:18 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
In no way is Goodfellas the best movie ever made (it's not even Scorsese's best)

Agreed.
October 25th, 2005 07:32 PM
keefkid sorry....disagree

that movie is fantastic, and the soundtrack rocks but yea I am biased, i'm Italian and from New Jersey

hahahaha
October 26th, 2005 06:50 AM
shakedhandswithkeith it`s a fantastic movie, one of my top 5!
October 26th, 2005 06:52 AM
corgi37 Good movie, agreed. But stuff like Ox bow incident, Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead, Apocalypse Now, Godfather's 1 & 2 are better than Goodfellas.

Obviously its "uncool" to say Citizen Kane now.
October 26th, 2005 06:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels An absense of Clint's Westerns it seems.
October 26th, 2005 02:09 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
Corgi37 wrote:
Good movie, agreed. But stuff like Ox bow incident, Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead, Apocalypse Now, Godfather's 1 & 2 are better than Goodfellas.

Obviously its "uncool" to say Citizen Kane now.

Yeah, Goodfellas is good, just not that good, and I think Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and even After Hours are better.

It's unfortunate nowadays about Kane because that comes as close as just about any other to being the greatest ever made. I'm predicting in a few years time, Vertigo will eventually overtake it.

While the top ten sucks, I am very pleasantly surprised to see Bergman's Persona rank so highly.

Just a side note, over the weekend I was fortunate enough to see Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, The Maltese Falcon (with you-know-who) and Hitchcock's Suspicion with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine in the theater.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)