ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Thanks Charles !
Bobcats Arena - Charlotte, NC
© Charles Lee, Temple's dad!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen, Paul Rodgers and crack smoking at the Hollywood Bowl Return to archive
October 23rd, 2005 04:52 AM
Dan I've been feeling kinda icky all week, havent felt like going to any concerts at all. Didn't stop me from indulging in one of my favorite games of bidding super low prices on Ebay concert tickets then either getting outbid or not hitting the reserve. So I was pretty surprised to wake up Thursday to find out I won a pair of tix to Queen/Paul Rodgers at the Hollywood Bowl for 99 cents plus $14.95 Fed Ex from a broker in Wisconsin.

I immedietly tried to give away first the whole pair to my mom (Queen is her favorite band) but she is also sick and wouldn't want to go without Freddie Mercury. Tried to invite friends and also made a lame attempt to trade off the pair for a single Stones ticket anywhere in the state. Luckily I felt a little better by showtime.

Outside the Hollywood Bowl, there were more people
trying to sell tickets than going inside. No one wanted to take my pair in K2 for a better single without any extra cash as well. Made one last round yelling "CHEAP TICKET CHEAP TICKET" which only attracted hoardes of people trying to unload their own tickets.

Finally I was going to give up and have two seats to myself when a guy approaches me needing a pair together. He had a single like 20 feet in front of me, in Sec E row 20. Not much of an improvement but at least I am helping a guy out instead of wasting the ticket or giving it to a scalper. I also noticed lots of empty seats several rows ahead. So I ended up in Sec E row 7 a few seats away from where I was at the NIN show.

Paul Rodgers is a little unsteady while Brian May and Roger Taylor were totally amazing. As usual with the Hollywood Bowl, it just isn't loud enough, though the volume seemed to briefly spike upward a bit midway through.

About an hour into the gig, this really skinny chick comes down my row and sits to my left. Then a minute later she moves to the empty space to my right. I think, wow, what a crack ho, then immedietly feel bad, there is no way a crack ho would be at this concert. She is probably in the final stages of cancer, here for one last night out. She is starting to cough. Not the kind of thing I would notice at a concert with appropriate volume. Its persistent and a little unsettling. Then she asks me where the restroom is. I point and say "Out there I guess." "You mean I have to go all the way out there?" WTF? I shrug. Possibly the stupidest question I have ever been asked at a concert. Obviously someone not used to public, or private restrooms.

Then another group comes in and fills out the rest of the row. So I don't have much space. She takes something out of her pocket, and starts rolling it under a lighter. Then she sticks it in her mouth. It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen weed smoked out of. Then she pulls her sweater over her head and I see the glow of the lighter. After a while her head re-appears and she blows out the smoke. It dissapates quickly. I don't smell weed. I don't smell tobacco. I might smell a faint something but it could be various unrelated concert smells.

A few minutes later the process repeats itself. I am almost leaning into the lady next to me. I point to the crackhead and say "I think she is going to light herself on fire" followed by "I don't think thats weed." This generated some exciteable yet inaudible chattter amongst that party. They kept looking over, and staring at her. She said "Is that why she is coughing?" I hope she wasn't spreading tuberculosis or hepatitis.

I have been to over 500 concerts. I have seen vomit, blood (including my own), the restrooms at the Hollywood Palladium and a compound ankle fracture during Slayer at Ozzfest last year but never seen anything disgusting as that emaciated creature smoking crack.

When Slash appeared during "Can't Get Enough" she leaned over and asked "Do you see Slash's gold bracelet" which I didn't. Maybe she was only smoking pure vitamin A. Still I had a hard time getting into the show even though I still didn't feel like backtracking 13 rows to my regular seat.

Its all still too fresh in my mind but I don't know if I want to go to another concert. I am tempted to just burn all my tickets.

New Jersey setlist (Hollywood Bowl probably the same)

Reaching Out
Tie Your Mother Down
Fat Bottom Girls
Another One Bites The Dust
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Bad Company
Say Its Not True (acoustic, Roger Taylor vocals)
'39 (Brian May solo acoustic)
Love Of My Life (Brian May solo acoustic)
Hammer To Fall (first Brian May solo acoustic, 2nd half full band)
Feel Like Making Love
-drum solo-
I’m In Love With My Car (Roger Taylor vox)
-guitar solo-
Last Horizon
These Are The Days Of Our Lives (Roger Taylor vox)
Radio Ga Ga (Roger Taylor vox)
Can’t Get Enough (with Slash)
Rock And Roll Fantasy
I Want It All
Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury video link from the afterlife - or maybe it was pre-recorded)
---
The Show Must Go On
All Right Now
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
October 23rd, 2005 06:50 PM
J.J.Flash Great story Dan..... thanks for sharing with us. Despite I've been at not too many concerts like you, I also have some great stories to tell about them.
October 23rd, 2005 08:46 PM
the worst kinda guy i think you're pissed because she wouldn't go home with you.
October 23rd, 2005 09:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Don't tell me they didn't finish with God Save the Queen!

Queen without Freddy is like the Doors with no Morrison. In addition of no Mercury they don't have John Deacon so how do they dare to tour as Queen?

October 23rd, 2005 11:03 PM
Dan
quote:
the worst kinda guy wrote:
i think you're pissed because she wouldn't go home with you.

I don't think it would have been any problem if I asked. That was definitely my best chance for some action last night. I had ten bucks.
October 23rd, 2005 11:17 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Don't tell me they didn't finish with God Save the Queen!

Queen without Freddy is like the Doors with no Morrison. In addition of no Mercury they don't have John Deacon so how do they dare to tour as Queen?

Alot of Brian Jones fans would say the same thing I would assume,,,maybe even the rare Bill Wyman fanatic too!
October 23rd, 2005 11:27 PM
Dan They aren't touring as Queen, but as Queen+Paul Rodgers. I think you should have done more Bad Company songs and perhaps toured as "The Firm"
October 24th, 2005 02:14 AM
ShaneJazz Dan- wasn't Brian May's guitar solo under the mirrorball just awesome though?
October 24th, 2005 02:36 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

Alot of Brian Jones fans would say the same thing I would assume,,,maybe even the rare Bill Wyman fanatic too!

As a William Perks addict I confirm!
October 24th, 2005 07:43 AM
exile Yeah man

Chicks and Crack! bad combination!!

October 24th, 2005 11:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

I dunno, but here's this..............

Queen Defend New Vocalist
He’s not replacing Mercury…
by Davina Earl on 10/24/2005
gigwise.com

Roger Taylor spoke out about his band’s new frontman, former Free vocalist Paul Rodgers, in a frank interview with VH1 Classic yesterday.

The band are currently touring in support of their new CD/DVD “Return of the Champions,” and Taylor has asserted that Rodgers gives the band a back-to-basics blues sound, and that he isn’t impacting on the legend that was Freddie Mercury.

“I think that Paul’s vocals have added to our sound,” he said, “in a way, they’ve given us more. We did actually come from the blues, although [we] might not sound like that all the time…He’s added that blues edge to this big world of sound that Brian and I kick up with our other guys.”

"He's Paul Rodgers, he's not trying to be Freddie Mercury, and I wish people would just understand that we're not doing this to cash in on anything. We're not going out there with somebody pretending to be Freddie Mercury. You know what's the point of that?"

"Paul is great to come back with. He's one of our all-time favourites. Certainly one of Freddie's favourite singers ever. And we used to listen to him before we ever made a record."

Rodgers himself said: ''I love to take a song and grip it from somewhere way down here and deliver it back to people. Queen actually have a lot of songs that I can relate to on that level."

"Strangely enough, ''I Want to Break Free'' is one of those. Because to me, I feel most of us have something that we want to break free from. A relationship, a job. The place you live, whatever it might be. And so it has meaning on lots of levels. And there's another song that I really am particularly fond of that we do live called ''The Show Must Go On.'' That's something that Queen themselves only experienced in the studio. And, so we have the opportunity, it's like virgin territory when we go out and play that live onstage.''

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
October 24th, 2005 02:44 PM
Saint Sway I'd smoke crack too if I was stuck at that show
October 24th, 2005 06:47 PM
Dan
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
Dan- wasn't Brian May's guitar solo under the mirrorball just awesome though?

I was just wondering when the mirrorball was. I was in a state of semi-distraction for the whole 2nd half of the show. The guitar solo was awesome, and I usually HATE those.
October 24th, 2005 06:52 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I'd smoke crack too if I was stuck at that show

I'd even go see the Black Crowes if tickets were just 99 cents. They probably will be at MSG but thats just too far. At least I could count on a contact high.
October 24th, 2005 07:58 PM
Soldatti Queen+Paul Rodgers is a joke. I heard their live CD and is terrible, Rodgers barely remembers the lyrics and the crowd sing all over the songs. It sounds like a karaoke band.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)