ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - 27th October 2006
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WARNING!!! Return to archive
22nd October 2006 02:00 PM
MRD8 Yesterday I made the mistake of installing Microsofts new operating system beta, Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 on my computer...some of my programs wouldn't work with it(including bit torrent stuff) so I tried to go back to Windows XP...you can't do it...since I didn't back up Windows XP before I made the change I'm going to have to reformat my hard drive and start over from scratch! Please send me an email to [email protected] if you were in my old address book...
22nd October 2006 08:33 PM
GotToRollMe Michael Cohl should merge with Microtheft! They'd get along famously!
Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. D!
22nd October 2006 09:21 PM
chevysales anyone who installs a beta of any kind on there #1 system needs there head examined...

you can run it on a virual pc if you must but on your #1 system without a system backup is anything but smart computing.
23rd October 2006 02:56 AM
Route66 I've run the gamut on this pc/Microsoft crap for over 20 years. They've succeeded in making me so sick of having to work with pcs I could puke. I'm never installing a Microsoft anything ever again, and when my current pc dies, I'm getting a Mac.
23rd October 2006 04:07 AM
jostorm yep, I just got my daughter a MacBook for her birthday, and shall suffer from envious stomach ache until I get my own, talking about slick and FAST!!!! And none of the shite popups or viruses and other shit that plagues my own laptop evry week....the Mac doesn't need any antispam, firewalls or anything, it is a bizarre eye-opener!
Having said all that, at least Mr Microsoft puts his money into philantropy, he currently has 29 BILLION $ invested into eradicating childhood diseases,especially in Africa, in comparison to this the WHO annual budget is only a miserly 1.5 billion (and generally speaking gets pissed away or not used when it is needed, because the WHo is run by politicians)....so, long live Mr Microsofts money machine!!!!
23rd October 2006 07:44 AM
chevysales
quote:
jostorm wrote:
yep, I just got my daughter a MacBook for her birthday, and shall suffer from envious stomach ache until I get my own, talking about slick and FAST!!!! And none of the shite popups or viruses and other shit that plagues my own laptop evry week....the Mac doesn't need any antispam, firewalls or anything, it is a bizarre eye-opener!
Having said all that, at least Mr Microsoft puts his money into philantropy, he currently has 29 BILLION $ invested into eradicating childhood diseases,especially in Africa, in comparison to this the WHO annual budget is only a miserly 1.5 billion (and generally speaking gets pissed away or not used when it is needed, because the WHo is run by politicians)....so, long live Mr Microsofts money machine!!!!

wonder why macs don't have viruses and spyware on the scale of ms systems?

thats a no brainer... over 90% of computer users are on an ms system in comparison hence your script kiddies and virus writers don't do much mac work as it has nothing to do with a mac being any safer.

i have never had a spyware or a virus using a computer since a mac from 1987 thru 1991 and intel based sysytems ever since. smart computing 101 would do a lot of users some good along with removing most excessive shit put on new computers straight from the manufacturers.

23rd October 2006 08:22 AM
egon if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Same goes for explorer 7. DON'T install it...
23rd October 2006 11:08 AM
MRD8 It was certainly stupid for me to not back up my system before installing the Vista beta, especially since I've had home PC's for twenty years!
23rd October 2006 11:16 AM
Joey
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Yesterday I made the mistake of installing Microsofts new operating system beta, Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 on my computer...some of my programs wouldn't work with it(including bit torrent stuff) so I tried to go back to Windows XP...you can't do it...since I didn't back up Windows XP before I made the change I'm going to have to reformat my hard drive and start over from scratch! Please send me an email to [email protected] if you were in my old address book...

Done !

Joey
23rd October 2006 01:31 PM
chevysales
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Yesterday I made the mistake of installing Microsofts new operating system beta, Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 on my computer...some of my programs wouldn't work with it(including bit torrent stuff) so I tried to go back to Windows XP...you can't do it...since I didn't back up Windows XP before I made the change I'm going to have to reformat my hard drive and start over from scratch! Please send me an email to [email protected] if you were in my old address book...

i have my systems setup so i clean install every 6 months max.

i also can be up and running in about 1.5 hours from scratch...
23rd October 2006 01:38 PM
chevysales
quote:
egon wrote:
if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Same goes for explorer 7. DON'T install it...

the first statement is correct unless there are features you cannot live without.

as for the second as i asked you before tell us why?

we know it's fashionable to bash MS and has been for sometime...

i would venture your problem could have been easily corrected as the browser is NOT an integral part of the OS and if it slowed down your system you had problems way before IE7 was installed.

then again i buld my own boxes and run the network for our 3 stores so my expertise may go a little deeper than yours hence my lack of problems.

and as for VISTA it looks like a quantum leep forward but absolutely has hardware requirements that most don't meet yet... no matter what dell or any other builder says..."vista ready" yea ok after all drivers have had a work through 6 months after it's release.

otherwise wait and build your system around the OS after it's out 6 months.

for graphic designers and us photogs there is nothing like a mac but for the every day user running office type apps they are cumbersome at best... heck apple even they had to go intel for reason.

[Edited by chevysales]
23rd October 2006 01:55 PM
chevysales
quote:
jostorm wrote:
yep, I just got my daughter a MacBook for her birthday, and shall suffer from envious stomach ache until I get my own, talking about slick and FAST!!!! And none of the shite popups or viruses and other shit that plagues my own laptop evry week....the Mac doesn't need any antispam, firewalls or anything, it is a bizarre eye-opener!

this is how old wives tales get started...

keep thinking that way and that slick system (btw they are very nice and have a great marketing campaign out) will be cluttered and clogged and slowed down with the same crap that can bog down any system.

any and every system needs a firewall if you are on anything but a dialup connection... who told you that nonsense. and i don't care what system it is that has no bearing on your being invisible or easy pray for a free ride.

use your email on the web enough and you will receive spam... mac's have nothing to do with that. nor does ms/intel based systems.

download without reading the eula's or seeing whats checked to go along with that latest quicktime,realplayer, toolbar, etc and you will have crap on your hardrive. read before you click!

system builders like dell,hp,sony ect. load up a ton of crap which users don't need. the first thing i recommend with any new box is a reformat and partition for your hardrive.

if you check msconfig i'll bet the above makers have no less than 20 apps running in the background when you take it out of the box on first run. 16 of which you don't need and are just sucking down resources at startup or phoneing home your info.

do you virus scan each and every download? only takes a minute. how about setting up your email so there are no live links unless you check it first?

each system has it's pluses and minuses but to say one is immune to problems is utter nonsense.

smart computing 102
[Edited by chevysales]
23rd October 2006 02:39 PM
jostorm wooo, calm yourself, chevysales! I know very little, ok let's rephrase that, I know NOTHING about computers, but I can see how quickly my daughter can whizz about from programme to programme,and how quickly she boots up and down again, whereas I seem to be constantly waiting, waiting...and , at my age, I don't really have the time to wait around...
The thing about Macs not needing extra protection is simply what I have been told by several IT engineers, perhaps the stuff already comes loaded, I don't know, but the fact is that it is one slick machine, about twenty times faster than my laptop, PLUS you can sit around with the Mac on your lap for days without getting third degree burns (as I get from my Dell, unless they're menopausal hot flushes, but afflicting only my thighs????)
The other feature I love about the Mac is that it will suck pictures out of every electronic camera model when connected, and without having to load disks first, and, and, and....it just never stops.
Incidentally, I asked at the Mac shop which protection I need to install, and they said "none! we only sell the antivirus stuff because people seem to think they need it"... how's that for marketing after the old "supply-demand" rule???

PS: so, if you are on broadband, you don't need the firewall stuff, or does it still count as Dial-up???
23rd October 2006 02:45 PM
glencar What are you, 90?
23rd October 2006 03:06 PM
MrPleasant "BEVARE" THE BIG GREEN DRAGON THAT SITS AT YOUR DOORSTEP... HE EATS LITTLE CHILDREN
23rd October 2006 03:43 PM
chevysales
quote:
jostorm wrote:
wooo, calm yourself, chevysales! I know very little, ok let's rephrase that, I know NOTHING about computers, but I can see how quickly my daughter can whizz about from programme to programme,and how quickly she boots up and down again, whereas I seem to be constantly waiting, waiting...and , at my age, I don't really have the time to wait around...
The thing about Macs not needing extra protection is simply what I have been told by several IT engineers, perhaps the stuff already comes loaded, I don't know, but the fact is that it is one slick machine, about twenty times faster than my laptop, PLUS you can sit around with the Mac on your lap for days without getting third degree burns (as I get from my Dell, unless they're menopausal hot flushes, but afflicting only my thighs????)
The other feature I love about the Mac is that it will suck pictures out of every electronic camera model when connected, and without having to load disks first, and, and, and....it just never stops.
Incidentally, I asked at the Mac shop which protection I need to install, and they said "none! we only sell the antivirus stuff because people seem to think they need it"... how's that for marketing after the old "supply-demand" rule???

PS: so, if you are on broadband, you don't need the firewall stuff, or does it still count as Dial-up???

broadband... you need firewall or router to be anynomous.

it's not hot flashes...it's the dell i have both my kids with them and they are hot mothers.

the mac is excellent for pics.
24th October 2006 06:08 AM
egon
quote:
chevysales wrote:
as for the second as i asked you before tell us why?

we know it's fashionable to bash MS and has been for sometime...
[Edited by chevysales]

I'm not bashing micrisoft, though let's face it;
If windows were a car, no one would drive it...

Explorer 7 just slowed my system down a lot
(as it does for many people).
plus i had a resolution problem with the webpages
which i was unable to fix.

I'm sure both explorer 7 & altavista work ok, when bought
with a new pc, but re-installing or upgrading usuallly ends in tears.

and that my friend, is my 2.5 cents
24th October 2006 12:30 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
"BEVARE" THE BIG GREEN DRAGON THAT SITS AT YOUR DOORSTEP... HE EATS LITTLE CHILDREN

BEVARE! Bevare of the big green dragon that sits on your doorstep. He eats little boys... puppy dog tails, and BIG FAT SNAILS... BEVARE!... Take care!... BEVARE!
PULL THE STRING! PULL THE STRING!

LOL!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)