ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - 27th October 2006
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006 -Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st October 2006 11:14 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
chevysales wrote:

me too... i like jjf as an opener... gets the juices flowing rite off the bat...

but would prefer licks opening nite first song... street fighting man without the keith stage antics of that fateful nite at the fleet center just straight guitars to set the tone for my last show!
[Edited by chevysales]

I've been waiting for them to pull out "Street Fighting Man" myself. Quite possibly my number one favorite Stones song.
21st October 2006 11:16 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jeep wrote:
From El Paso Times :

Holy shit, Jeep! Awesome pics...thanks!
21st October 2006 11:23 AM
GotToRollMe From the El Paso Times:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_4527839

Rolling Stones draw all ages to Sun Bowl
Fans thrill to 'once-in-a-lifetime' concert
By Ramon Renteria / El Paso Times
Article Launched:10/21/2006 12:00:00 AM MDT

Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones seduced El Paso Friday night -- for the second time in 12 years. "It's great to be back in El Paso," Jagger said, shortly after "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world" took the stage with fireworks on a multistory set that resembled a giant roller coaster.

The crowd in the near-capacity Sun Bowl responded with an adoring roar of applause. The night, nippy but not cold, couldn't have been more perfect for a concert.

Wearing a bright red shirt, Jagger pranced across the stage like a schoolboy on a giant-sized playground, dispelling any notions that this aging boomer has lost his agility. The rest of the band -- guitarist Keith Richards, drummer Charlie Watts and guitarist Ron Wood -- also seemed in top form.

A sea of fans, young, very young and old and older, came from as far away as Tulsa, Okla., San Antonio and Albuquerque to sample the Stones once again. They cheered and clapped and danced in the aisles.

"We're just having a blast," said Wendy Paxton, 41, of Hobbs, N.M., who watched the concert from the front row, with her husband, Jarrett, and friends Rick and Carol Brown from Tulsa. Paxton is such a dedicated Stones fan that she had Jagger's trademark red lips and tongue tattooed on her lower back. Her verdict: The $500 front-row seats were definitely worth the price.

Al Lomas, 55, vice president of national sales and marketing company from San Antonio, is following the Rolling Stones tour across the United States. The El Paso stop was his fifth concert, and he is also going to the Stones concerts in Austin and Las Vegas. He has attended 16 Stones concerts over the years.

"The Rolling Stones give us hope that you don't have to stop living at 60," Lomas said. "It's just a great band. They put on a great show."

Impatient fans started doing the wave before the Stones went onstage. Hundreds of cell phones lighted up when the lights went out.

Delbert and Alison Eye of Albuquerque drove to El Paso after winning four tickets in a radio giveaway. They brought their sons, Brad, 15, and Brant, 18.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing," Alison Eye said. "How much longer do you think the Stones are all going to be together like that?"

Brad Eye added: "I'm not a huge fan, but they're a good band."

So good for some fans that Tom Mannick, 57, and his wife, Lisa, 53, dropped in from Temple, Texas, to get acquainted with West Texas and New Mexico and to cheer for the Stones again.

"It's the greatest rock band in the world from that era, the late '60s and '70s. That was a revolutionary time (with) a lot of social changes," Tom Mannick said. "The Rolling Stones go on and on. They always make sure the music and sound and everything is perfect. Their energy is phenomenal."

For Jonathan Aldaco, the Stones concert was a gift from his mother, Leslie Aldaco-Garcia of West El Paso. Friday was his 17th birthday, and he was among fans sitting in the exclusive Captain's Club.

"Yeah, I like 'em," Aldaco said before the concert. "They sound great."

Karl Sanchez, 44, a computer software programmer, also came in from Albuquerque to check out his favorite rock band.

"I've never been to a Stones concert," Sanchez said. "I like their older stuff. It was different."

His father, George Sanchez, 64, a retired El Paso math teacher, was already married when the Rolling Stones made it big in the United States.

"I've always loved their music," he said.

Berni Burri brought his friend Patricia San Roman of Albuquerque to see one of her favorite bands. He is not a fan.

"I thought I'd get some general education and see a Stones concert since they're a music legend or whatever," Burri said. "And to see some seniors having fun."

For some fans, the Stones concert was a flashback to a more liberal time. Five minutes into the Dave Matthews Band's opening set, parts of the stadium filled with the familiar odor of reefers lighting up.

For most fans, the Rolling Stones were back in town for a quick spell, rekindling a lot of memories.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
21st October 2006 12:09 PM
jaggergurl that video was sweet, made me smile, thanks for posting it and the great photos!!
21st October 2006 02:45 PM
pdog 18 songs...
That really bugs me!
21st October 2006 03:00 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
pdog wrote:
18 songs...
That really bugs me!

The setlist should be at least 20-22
21st October 2006 03:34 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
pdog wrote:
18 songs...
That really bugs me!

Hopefully we'll do better in AC.

SV

21st October 2006 05:25 PM
pdog
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Hopefully we'll do better in AC.

SV

We'll do better as a group and having fun, maybe a gem or two song wise, but it'll be 18 songs, 19 if we're lucky.
21st October 2006 06:00 PM
Poplar
Under the Boardwalk
New York, New York
Sitt'n on the dock of the Bay (Oakland)
Viva Las Vegas
21st October 2006 06:11 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Under the Boardwalk
New York, New York
Sitt'n on the dock of the Bay (Oakland)
Viva Las Vegas

YMCA
21st October 2006 06:41 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Bitch wrote:
6. Midnight Rambler
7. Tumbling Dice

8. You Got the Silver
9. Little T&A
10. Under My Thumb
11. Shes so Cold
[Edited by Bitch]

i really like the jewelry in there..the one that looks like a guitar pic and the silver piece next to it....very cool
21st October 2006 07:22 PM
GotToRollMe Yeah, Bitch, that little silver tongue pick caught my eye as well...I want one!
21st October 2006 07:32 PM
Tom
quote:
pdog wrote:
18 songs...
That really bugs me!

Only one of them from ABB and it's Streets of Love WTF?
21st October 2006 07:41 PM
FrankiePeppers

Keith could've doubled for The Emperor in Star Wars.
21st October 2006 08:39 PM
GotToRollMe From the El Paso Times:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_4527955

EP fans get nothing but satisfaction
By Leonard Martinez / El Paso Times
Article Launched:10/21/2006 12:00:00 AM MDT

Not just a concert.
That's the tag line advertisements for the Rolling Stones boasts. Friday night, the group backed up that boast in front of thousands of fans at Sun Bowl Stadium.

Attendance figures were not immediately available, but officials with Live Nation, which put the concert on, said that attendance was in the 30,000s and that the Stones' people were pleased with the attendance.

The size of the crowd didn't seem to matter to frontman Mick Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood, and drummer Charlie Watts. The group performed for nearly two hours and belted out 19 songs.

Each night of the tour is a bit of a surprise because the Stones can play any number of songs spanning their 44-year career. The band is touring in support of its latest CD, "A Bigger Bang," released in 2005.

The Stones started its El Paso concert with the energetic "Jumpin' Jack Flash" -- instantly getting the crowd on its feet. Sir Mick, as dapper as ever, shimmied and pranced across the stage in black slacks, a red shirt with a black undershirt and a black sequined jacket.
Jagger quickly shed the jacket during "It's Only Rock and Roll." As he danced across the stage during the song, he turned toward the fans in the $500 "seats," which were onstage and towered above the stage that was part of the backdrop.

It probably makes for an interesting point of view if you really like looking at Jagger's rear.

The band's camaraderie showed through during "Shattered," when Wood tried to scratch his face between riffs. Richards, nearby, went over to Wood and happily scratched the itch to the amusement of both.

The fourth song of the set was a bit of a surprise, though El Pasoans probably hoped the Stones would play "El Paso." Jagger thanked the crowd for attending the show and said coming back gives the band a chance to perform a rare song.

The band then played a sparse, one-verse version of the Marty Robbins' classic with Wood playing a steel-pedal guitar and Richards plucking a few strings. The crowd roared its approval, even though the song was largely made up of Watts' drumming and Jagger's singing.

After "El Paso," Jagger thanked the Dave Matthews Band for opening the show and commented that the band was probably already on its way to its Saturday performance near San Francisco.

Then, in the middle of "Let It Bleed," Matthews came out with a sheepish grin, intensely eyeing Jagger, and joined the Stones for the song. Matthews and Jagger traded off on vocals as well as harmonized on them.

As soon as the song was over, Matthews shook each of the Stones' hands and bowed in show of respect to each of them.

One of the highlights of the night might have been the extended version of "Midnight Rambler," which had a blues jam in the middle of it with Jagger doing call-and-response shout-outs with the fans.

Next was the always rocking "Tumbling Dice."

After briefly introducing the band and its backup performers, Jagger surrendered the microphone to Richards for his chance to sing lead vocals on a couple of songs.

Richards approached the microphone with his lit cigarette -- not caring, or not knowing, about the Sun Bowl Stadium's anti-smoking policy.

Richards wasn't the only one breaking rules Friday night. Several fans on the floor had digital cameras and blatantly took pictures during the concert right in front of security personnel even though cameras were one of the items prohibited.

Richards was clearly touched and almost embarrassed by the applause as he launched into "You Got the Silver."

Richards followed it up with "Little T and A" before Jagger came back on stage.

Then the real fun began.

The band started playing "Under My Thumb" when the center of the stage detached and moved mechanically from the south end of the stadium to the B stage near the north side. While it was great for those fans in the end zone, it was hard for fans on the floor to see because the giant screen on stage did not show any of the performance on the B stage.

The Stones then played "She's So Cold," "Start Me Up" and "Honky Tonk Women" on the B stage before moving back to the main stage. It was time for the more darker songs of the night as Jagger donned a red jacket with a matching red top hat for "Sympathy for the Devil."

"Paint It Black" followed, and the main set ended with "Brown Sugar."

After a quick break, the band played the reflective "You Can't Always Get What You Want" before finishing with the rave-up song "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

While the Stones have several backup musicians who help round out the band in concert, the true fifth member of the group is its gigantic stage setup.

Those who were awed by the Stones' "Voodoo Lounge" stage setup were likely bowled over by the "Bigger Bang" setup. It had double the steel and production of what made up the Voodoo Lounge stage setup, Stones officials said.

The Rolling Stones have less than a dozen concerts left on this record-breaking tour. By the time the tour ends in Hawaii next month, the band will have sold nearly 2 million tickets for a total of $256 million in revenue, according to Rolling Stone magazine, which cited figures compiled by Pollstar.

The "Bigger Bang" tour, which began last year, set a record during its 2005 leg when it recorded $162 million in 43 dates.

21st October 2006 08:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:
18 songs. if El Paso is done right - great set, but the snippet thing doesn't really add that much. cover the damn song.

Possibly the worst setlist of the tour IMO. 18 songs (to bring it up to 19 with just a snippet of El Paso is lame) and an unprecedented ONE song from the album theyre supposedly touring behind.

This is Licks Part 2

Sweet Christ..why dont they go the whole hog and get Virgin to withdraw all copies of ABB from the shops, so they can convince themselves they never released it? They may as well, as theyre doing their best to pretend it didnt exist
[Edited by Gazza]
21st October 2006 11:49 PM
time is on my side I wasn't going to say anything but the door was slightly opened so I'll go ahead and break it down.

I know it's been a long tour going on for over a year so it's understandable that they're a little tired. Plus, if I planned on seeing the STONES only once, I wouldn't have any problem with the current setlist.

However, I, for one,look upon the setlist from the fall tour as a big disappointment especially when one compares these setlist to the ones from over a year ago. There's nothing new or improved about it. Outside of the two Keith songs, You Got The Silver and Little T & A, and a few songs thrown in during the first part of the set which seemly changes from night to night, these setlist look strangely familiar.

Below, I've posted a few setlist from a year ago when the tour first started and I'll take these over the fall tour one's anytime. The fall tour has seen the number of songs shaved to 18 or 19. The three arena shows I saw had similiar setlist to the ones posted below (if anything there were more surprises during these shows possibly because they had more songs to play with and the energy level was still high as the tour was just getting started). Also, Keith's performances generally ranged from good to very good while now there seems to be concerns about his overall playing or lack of & worries about his health.

1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Live With Me
4. Shattered
5. Rough Justice
6. Back Of My Hand
7. You Can't Always Get What You Want
8. Midnight Rambler
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
10. The Worst (Keith)
11. Infamy (Keith)
12. Miss You (to B-stage)
13. Oh No, Not You Again (B-stage)
14. She's So Cold (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (from B-stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. It's Only Rock'n Roll
20. Satisfaction
21. Brown Sugar (encore)

Another setlist from a year ago

1.Start Me Up
2.You Got Me Rocking
3.She's So Cold
4.Tumbling Dice
5.Rough Justice
6.Ruby Tuesday
7.Beast Of Burden
8.All Down The Line
9.Get Up Stand Up
--- Introductions
10 Infamy (Keith)
11. The Worst (Keith)
12. Miss You (to B-stage)
13. Oh No, Not You Again (B-stage)
14. Satisfaction (B-stage)
15. Honky Tonk Women (from B-stage)
16. Out Of Control
17. Sympathy For The Devil
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. Brown Sugar
20. You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
21. It's Only Rock'n Roll (encore)

[Edited by time is on my side]
22nd October 2006 04:31 AM
Jeep Video report on KVIA (ABC):

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=5570421

(video link under the date)
22nd October 2006 07:52 AM
corgi37 At least Dave Matthews bowed. And, i cant open any of the video links.

23rd October 2006 10:06 AM
Jeep Photos El Diario - Ciudad Juarez :

23rd October 2006 10:13 AM
jb A wide open show=only 18 songs.
24th October 2006 10:57 AM
Saint Sway it does look like Ronnie's wearing a wig in that pic
24th October 2006 11:03 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:

Jeep wrote:
Photos El Diario - Ciudad Juarez :

Keith seems to be looking better and better with each passing show.
24th October 2006 11:04 AM
jb More of the hair weave prevalent-El Paso sold much worse than Austin...a very disappointing crowd.
24th October 2006 11:16 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
jb wrote:
More of the hair weave prevalent-El Paso sold much worse than Austin...a very disappointing crowd.

Alas, even the most luxurious heads of hair suffer the ravages of time. In this particular case, however, it matters not - Keith is cool regardless!

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)