ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - 27th October 2006
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Everything Old is NEW Again ?!?!.... ( N.S.C. ) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
19th October 2006 05:58 PM
Joey " Tet memories underscore woes in Iraq "

" Given the U.S. military's troubled history in Vietnam, generals and their foot soldiers in Iraq may have shuddered after they heard President Bush acknowledge a comparison with today's Iraq and the Viet Cong's 1968 Tet Offensive.

In an interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, the president said a New York Times column by Thomas Friedman might be correct in drawing that analogy.

"He could be right," the president said. "There's certainly a stepped-up level of violence, and we're heading into an election."

Tet, which began in early 1968 and is seen by many as a turning point in the Vietnam war, did serious damage to President Lyndon B. Johnson's public support. Two months after the offensive began, he announced he would not seek a full, second term in the White House.

The military and the Bush administration, even before the president's comments Wednesday on ABC, had blamed the recent increase in attacks on U.S. soldiers in Baghdad and elsewhere on the insurgents' savvy — a gamble that they could affect the vote in coming U.S. elections.

"In regards to this spike in violence ... it's no coincidence that the surge in attacks against coalition forces and the subsequent increase in U.S. casualties coincides with our increased presence on the streets of Baghdad and the run-up to the American midterm elections," military spokesman Maj. Gen. William B. Caldwell said Thursday.

"The enemy knows that killing innocent people and Americans will garner headlines and create a sense of frustration," he said.

As Caldwell spoke, the White House sought to clarify Bush's remarks, to put them back into the context of ties between increased American deaths and the coming U.S. vote.

"The president was making a point that he's made before, which is that terrorists try to exploit pictures and try to use the media as conduits for influencing public opinion in the United States," spokesman Tony Snow said.

Attacks in Baghdad rose 22 percent in the first three weeks of Islam's holy month of Ramadan, Caldwell said, when compared to the previous three weeks. The month of fasting and prayers began in late September and is in its final days.

So far this month 73 U.S. troops have been killed, putting October on course to be the deadliest for American forces in Iraq since November 2004, when U.S. was in the midst of a drive to oust insurgents from their stronghold of Fallujah in Anbar province.

Caldwell dodged when questioned about Bush's comparison of Iraq with the Tet Offensive.

"I think we're getting far beyond my realm to start making analogies back to Vietnam War, but I would tell you that we're obviously very concerned about what we're seeing in the city."

As happened in Vietnam, the United States and its host government are growing increasingly at odds over specifics in how the war is being conducted.

Among other things, Washington and Baghdad may differ over an amnesty plan for insurgents — a bid to draw fighters into the political process. There were reports the White House was pressuring Iraqi authorities to give amnesty to Sunni insurgents, although that would be a surprising change for the Bush administration, which has resisted amnesty because it could potentially include those who have killed American troops.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki took office under a 24-point national unity program, which included an amnesty, but the plan soon collapsed after disputes with the United States over which insurgents could be included.

Beyond that, the country's Shiite-dominated parliament — with no objection from fellow Shiite al-Maliki — adopted a measure last week that would allow Iraq's 18 provinces to band together according to religious or ethnic population into autonomous or federal regions. Some fear such a move would effectively lead to the dismemberment of Iraq, but not before far more bloodshed.

The White House on Thursday came out strongly against such a plan, which reportedly shared some elements with expected recommendations of a commission exploring U.S. options in Iraq.

Snow said a division of Iraq was a "nonstarter," suggesting a yet a fresh point of friction in the growing list of issues over which the al-Maliki government and the Bush administration appear to be at odds. "

Tet !!!!! ..... Tet !!!!!!!!!

Developing ...................

Shiver ..........

Joey " Robert " McNamara

___

19th October 2006 06:00 PM
pdog Iraq is a huge success!
19th October 2006 06:02 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
Iraq is a huge success!

Poi Dog Pondering .....................

You make Joey Laugh like HELL !!!!!!!!

Ho Chi Joe !!!
19th October 2006 06:03 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Poi Dog Pondering .....................

You make Joey Laugh like HELL !!!!!!!!

Ho Chi Joe !!!

Freedumb is ringing loud in Iraq!
19th October 2006 06:03 PM
_Boomy_

"Why hello, Joey. I am a big, big fan...."

"Did you cut the cheese???"
19th October 2006 06:15 PM
Joey

Oooooooooooooo !

That is some " Good Petey " !!!!!!

Nice.
19th October 2006 06:19 PM
pdog Is The Who playing Baghdad?
19th October 2006 06:30 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
Is The Who playing Baghdad?

North Korea

www.pollstar.com

Tet!! .. Tet !!
19th October 2006 06:48 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Joey wrote:

North Korea

www.pollstar.com

Tet!! .. Tet !!

19th October 2006 06:56 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Hey Boomy, yer not goin' to AC?
20th October 2006 07:27 AM
_Boomy_ Unfortunately, I can not make it. Have to work.

I hope you and all the rest have a great time, though. Post photos!
20th October 2006 09:31 AM
Joey
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Unfortunately, I can not make it. Have to work.

Yes , please post photos .....
20th October 2006 09:42 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Unfortunately, I can not make it. Have to work.

Sorry to hear it. Shit, work gets in the way of entirely too many important things. You will be missed, but you'll be there in spirit.
20th October 2006 09:55 AM
Joey
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Shit, work gets in the way of entirely too many important things. You will be missed, but you'll be there in spirit.

Nanky ?!

20th October 2006 10:32 AM
sirmoonie I was once said - in fact, I posted it here - that you would have to be a complete idiot to compare Iraq to Vietnam - George Walker Bush III just proved that I was right about people who make that comparison. Thanks Georgie, I'm sure the troops love you more every day, ya fucking dopey ass whack job!
20th October 2006 10:37 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I was once said - in fact, I posted it here - that you would have to be a complete idiot to compare Iraq to Vietnam - George Walker Bush III just proved that I was right about people who make that comparison. Thanks Georgie, I'm sure the troops love you more every day, ya fucking dopey ass whack job!

Moonie ......

My Greatest Fears are now coming true -- it is happening all over again

|
|
V

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/iraq

20th October 2006 10:57 AM
jb Bill O'Reilly is such a phony,,he claims to be independent, but as we all know, he is a republican tool..He has, in a desperate attempt to save the elections, had a soft-ball interview with Bush...he claims the liberal media is unfair, yet, ignores what they did to Clinton. I have no problem with someone being partisan, but don't pawn yourself off as "fair and Balanced" when the entire primetime line-up(from Brit Hume through hannity and colmes) is basically talking points for the RNC.
20th October 2006 10:59 AM
glencar That's crazy talk, Joshy! We all know Greta is not a right winger!!!!!
20th October 2006 11:07 AM
pdog The insurgency in Iraq is almost over!
20th October 2006 11:10 AM
glencar FOX News earlier was filled with stories about a change in direction soon in Iraq. Reaction to polls?
20th October 2006 11:18 AM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
FOX News earlier was filled with stories about a change in direction soon in Iraq. Reaction to polls?

Slow reaction by this administration to the reality on the ground in Iraq. Seems they haven't been watching the same news reports that most of us have! You know the ones with only bad news, not showing the good news in Iraq.
There's alot of good news in Iraq, millions of people were not killed today in Iraq. Most US forces were not killed or injured. Some people do have running, clean water. Iran isn't influencing Kurds or Sunni's in Iraq to fight the occupation. There's alot of good news in Iraq!
20th October 2006 11:19 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's crazy talk, Joshy! We all know Greta is not a right winger!!!!!

I did not include her....Geraldo is pathetic!!!! he is an embarrassment to any party!!!
20th October 2006 11:20 AM
glencar Peace will out.
20th October 2006 11:30 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Peace will out.

Pug has ocular degeneration and may need a cornea transplant!!!!!
20th October 2006 12:01 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:
Moonie ......

My Greatest Fears are now coming true -- it is happening all over again - Moof Piss.

|
|
V

What I said. You would have to be an idiot to compare Iraq to Vietnam.

Hey, Joey - I got a whole posse going to The Who on December 8! We shall be rockin and drinkin and suchin. I'm trying to get Starbash to go, but he keeps prevaricating.

Check this out. Shades of lysergic.

20th October 2006 12:44 PM
Joey

Nanky ?!

20th October 2006 12:45 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Peace will out.

" Everything Drowns in the Ocean of My White Hairy Ass " ( Avatar Meher Baba , 2005 )

20th October 2006 12:46 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Check this out. Shades of lysergic.

Lysergic Mushrooms ?!?!
20th October 2006 12:50 PM
rasputin56 Will any of this affect the Beacon shows?
20th October 2006 01:29 PM
pdog
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
Will any of this affect the Beacon shows?

Sweet Neo-Con will be played!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)