ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals for the R&R Circus - Londonderry Hotel - 8th December 1968
© 1968 The Daily Express Archives with thanks to moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: True Brit Jagger won't rock the vote Return to archive
October 20th, 2004 05:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels True Brit Jagger won't rock the vote
New York Daily News

President Bush and Sen. John Kerry can be grateful that at least one British rock star is keeping his opinions to himself.
Unlike Sting - who this week told a German newspaper that Kerry lacks humor but that he would "rather vote for a chimpanzee than Bush" - Mick Jagger believes in letting England's former colony sort out its own affairs.

On Monday, when we ran into Jagger at the premiere of "Alfie" (he and Dave Stewart did the soundtrack), we asked if he'd been following the presidential race.

"How can you avoid it?" laughed the Rolling Stone, who'd been watching the candidates' stump speeches earlier in the day.

Jagger, who lived on the upper West Side for many years, said: "I feel very much at home in America. I've spent half my adult life here. I have many personal feelings. But I'm from the school that considers it impolite to comment on other people's elections."

He went on: "Now if I had the vote - and I should have, as I pay so much in taxes - I would have a lot to say."

Jagger wasn't shy about rebutting a British report about some renovations he was said to be doing on his London flat. The Daily Mail reported last week that the 5-foot-8 singer had spent a fortune lowering the floor of his home so that his 6-foot-4 girlfriend, L'Wren Scott, would have plenty of headroom.

"Rubbish," Jagger, 61, said. "No one has been able to believe that paper since 1904."

Of course, that's hearsay since even the Wrinkly Rocker wasn't around then.

We will note, though, that on Monday night, Miss Scott was wearing flats.
October 20th, 2004 07:43 AM
BILL PERKS THANKS
October 20th, 2004 07:58 AM
Gazza Theres few things more stomach-churningly embarrassing or ignorant than someone living in one country telling people in another country how they should vote.

Good on ya, Mick.

PS : Vote Kerry everyone
(just an attempt at irony, folks - relax )
[Edited by Gazza]
October 20th, 2004 08:19 AM
keith_tif I prefer Bianca Jagger's attitude.Bianca is courageous!
Mick and the Stones fear to lose money on their next tour because of their political opinion!
Sir Mick is like old british Aristocraty with a unique aim; save their fortune!
It's rubbish!
Marianne Faithfull is getting better with years but Stones are repuniating their political opinion!
I find they have stupid behaviour!
And i'm a Stones' fan for 25 years!
But if they gon on in stupidity, i let them down!
October 20th, 2004 08:32 AM
J.J.Flash Talkin' about L'Wren Scott, I would like to see some of her pictures. Does anybody have? If so, please, post some of them please.

TIA
October 20th, 2004 08:46 AM
Gazza >I prefer Bianca Jagger's attitude.Bianca is courageous!
Mick and the Stones fear to lose money on their next tour because of their political opinion!
It's rubbish!

bollocks. Bianca is a political and human rights activist. Mick is a musician. Its more natural for someone in her position to be 'preachy' about politics than it is in his. he has the right to have his own opinions but even more so, he has the right to keep them to himself too.

Mick's opinions on the US elections, as a musician living outside the US are no more valid than those of a bricklayer in Glasgow or a housewife in Spain.

Theres nothing more irritating than some fuckwit who doesnt live in your country making themselves out to be an authority or an expert in your domestic affairs based on a few soundbites they've seen on the news. Even more so, when they feel they have more right to an opinion than the people who live there and when their opinions get more weight than the people who live there and whose lives are actually being affected by the issues on a daily basis.

Its natural to have opinions - but like anyone, mine are based on the US' foreign policy, and in particular the war. However, people in the US are also influenced in the way they vote on domestic issues to which are of no concern of mine and which I cant relate to. For those of us living elsewhere to think our opinions should carry a similar degree of weight or credibility is nonsensical
October 20th, 2004 09:19 AM
keith_tif REM, Bruce Springsteen are also musicians but they are courageous !
Political in the USA influence the World and it's interest all the planet!

Definetely for John Kerry!!!!!!!!!!!
Bush is an animal!!!!!!!!!
October 20th, 2004 09:25 AM
glencar I have a good friend from Ireland who hates Bush. But when he saw the debates while working over here, he stated that he could see why Bush would probably win re-election. Kerry is a deeply flawed candidate. And Bush is a cowboy, not an animal. Someone who has Chirac leading their country shouldn't criticize our President.
October 20th, 2004 09:27 AM
Nellcote Here's to Sir Mick for refraining to become involved.
October 20th, 2004 09:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
REM, Bruce Springsteen are also musicians but they are courageous !

They're americans and they have a vote. You and I dont. End of story
October 20th, 2004 09:45 AM
L&A
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I prefer Bianca Jagger's attitude.Bianca is courageous!
It's rubbish!

bollocks. Bianca is a political and human rights activist. Mick is a musician. Its more natural for someone in her position to be 'preachy' about politics than it is in his. he has the right to have his own opinions but even more so, he has the right to keep them to himself too.

Mick's opinions on the US elections, as a musician living outside the US are no more valid than those of a bricklayer in Glasgow or a housewife in Spain.

Theres nothing more irritating than some fuckwit who doesnt live in your country making themselves out to be an authority or an expert in your domestic affairs based on a few soundbites they've seen on the news. Even more so, when they feel they have more right to an opinion than the people who live there and when their opinions get more weight than the people who live there and whose lives are actually being affected by the issues on a daily basis.

Its natural to have opinions - but like anyone, mine are based on the US' foreign policy, and in particular the war. However, people in the US are also influenced in the way they vote on domestic issues to which are of no concern of mine and which I cant relate to. For those of us living elsewhere to think our opinions should carry a similar degree of weight or credibility is nonsensical

Agree, Gazza. It is also well known that people who live in the country may have a reaction AGAINST what everyone outside the US says, like: "you all want X as President ? F**** you, it will be our own choice..."
October 20th, 2004 10:27 AM
Gazza Speaking from personal experience, thats precisely how I'd react myself..lol
October 20th, 2004 11:07 AM
Martha Mick is just 5' 8" tall?????? My gawd he's MY Size!!!!
October 20th, 2004 11:11 AM
telecaster Did I ever mention how much I despise Sting?

If Bono is a twat, what does that make Sting?

Suggestions please
October 20th, 2004 11:12 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Martha wrote:
Mick is just 5' 8" tall?????? My gawd he's MY Size!!!!

What's the corresponding measure in meters? I mean, I'm 1,80m tall, 72 Kg of weight.... hmmmmm, my PM inbox is getting full...
October 20th, 2004 11:13 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Did I ever mention how much I despise Sting?

If Bono is a twat, what does that make Sting?

Suggestions please

Sting is a cocksmoker. That's all Tele.
October 20th, 2004 11:25 AM
jb That was about the most significant thing Mick has said in 20 yrs.....I think it was quite smart to avoid getting entangled in another country's politics like those twats bono and Sting....
October 20th, 2004 11:27 AM
caro
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Sting is a cocksmoker. That's all Tele.

I get the persistent impression that I'm the only person on this board who loves the Police. Not in a "guilty pleasure" way -- I really love them.
Or should I have kept that to myself? ...damn...
October 20th, 2004 11:28 AM
telecaster
quote:
caro wrote:

I get the persistent impression that I'm the only person on this board who loves the Police. Not in a "guilty pleasure" way -- I really love them.
Or should I have kept that to myself? ...damn...

Caveat: I did meet Stewart Copeland in person and talked with him at lenghth and he was a great guy

Sting is another matter
October 20th, 2004 11:34 AM
caro Well I can't say that I like Sting's solo stuff. Dunno much about his personality, except that he likes to be photographed with horses.
October 20th, 2004 11:49 AM
Gazza thats a harsh thing to say about his wife!!
October 20th, 2004 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Jagger wasn't shy about rebutting a British report about some renovations he was said to be doing on his London flat. The Daily Mail reported last week that the 5-foot-8 singer had spent a fortune lowering the floor of his home so that his 6-foot-4 girlfriend, L'Wren Scott, would have plenty of headroom.

"Rubbish," Jagger, 61, said. "No one has been able to believe that paper since 1904."

Politics? Who cares about mere politics and a US presidential election when the credibility of the Daily Mail is at stake?

October 20th, 2004 12:28 PM
BillyBoll Credibility, Daily Mail.

Never have these two concepts ever been writ so closely together!!
October 20th, 2004 12:31 PM
waaghals Mick Jagger is wright it's not his erection, oops sorry, I men't his election. They stones are into music, not in politics!
October 20th, 2004 12:38 PM
glencar To his credit, Bono hasn't endorsed one side or the other as far as I've read. Stink is a dork.
October 20th, 2004 12:43 PM
waaghals He's right when he says it's not his country. No matter who ever get's elected, people will still say "it's my country right or wrong".
October 20th, 2004 07:22 PM
Soldatti Mick is so diplomatic, he said all, saying nothing.