ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals for the R&R Circus - Londonderry Hotel - 8th December 1968
© 1968 The Daily Express Archives with thanks to moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick: King of the Rolling Milestones Return to archive
October 17th, 2004 03:43 PM
parmeda MICK: KING OF THE ROLLING MILESTONES
With Jagger's help, 'Alfie' making a comeback

October 17, 2004
Chicago SunTimes
BY CINDY PEARLMAN

NEW YORK -- How does it feel? A rock legend asked that question years ago and now Baby Boomers must revisit the inquiry.

Specifically, how does it feel when the AARP starts sending that magazine? How does it feel when the gray hairs stage a mutiny and outnumber the darker ones? And how does it feel when on a Saturday afternoon in SoHo, the guy in the Scholastic bookstore buying educational materials for his grandchildren is none other than Mick Jagger?

The lead singer of the Rolling Stones is 61 years old. When did this happen?

It's not like he's slowing down. On another day in New York City at the Essex House, that randy rock 'n' roll twinkle remains in Jagger's eyes when he enters a hotel suite. Looking fit in a gray sweatshirt and jeans, he's athletic-looking, thanks to those marathon rock shows and daily swimming sessions.

Despite a road map of facial lines, hints of a rebel remain. "I can't handle the big questions today!" he says, feigning exhaustion. But he's not the least bit tired, just simply amused that his mere presence in a hotel means bodyguards in the hallways, publicists in large groups and second glances from every single woman in the vicinity.

But he's not here to talk about being an icon -- more on that later. Jagger just released a critically acclaimed CD featuring the music from the upcoming film "Alfie." He sings several songs and was the soundtrack's producer, along with Dave Stewart. In November, a new double live CD set of Stones songs is due out in stores, plus a new Stones album is in the works. All of the above leave him with little time to be buying little train books for the grandkids, but that's fine with him.

"The key is to keep going. You never stop," says the man who is living the lyrics: "Start me up and I'll never stop."

Q. You recently wrote the music for the new film "Alfie," about a notorious playboy. Is this a topic you know well? And how is the life of a rock star different from the life of a playboy?

A. First of all, there aren't any playboys anymore. They don't exist these days. It's rather sad, really. Our modern playboys just wrap themselves around trees in badly driven sports cars. I don't know what the difference is between a rock star and a playboy.

Q. So, you are not a playboy?

A. I've always been a rather career-minded person and any vague resemblance of my life to a playboy's is merely coincidental.

Q. How did you link up with Dave Stewart to write the "Alfie" songs?

A. One of the first things we ever did was a song for this movie "Ruthless People," which starred Bette Midler. We got paid lots of money, which we then spent on worthless consumer items. [Laughs] So it was easy to say yes again.

Q. What are the challenges?

A. Doing a soundtrack, you don't have this complete freedom to write. You have to write a specific song around a specific character and enhance a specific scene. So it's very disciplined in that way. In a way it's kind of interesting because it's another form of writing. You have to get it right for the scene, which is rather interesting. And on top of that, there's a lot of craft that goes on. You have to look at other scenes and make these songs work in other scenes. For example, one of the lead songs on "Alfie" is "Old Habits Die Hard," which is a rather happy-go-lucky tune when you first hear it. But when you put it in another scene and slow it down and take out some instrumentation, it becomes a much more romantic or sadder tune than it initially appears. You need to fit the movie's mood.

Q. Was it different writing songs with Dave vs. Keith Richards?

A. I write songs a lot with different people. I write a lot of stuff with Dave, I write a lot of stuff with Keith, and I write a lot of stuff on my own. There's hundreds of different ways of writing songs within that formula. I just spent two weeks writing songs with Keith and some are songs where I'm just there on my own and Keith walks in and plays the bass on what I've written. And some days it's the reverse, I go in and play the piano on something he's written. Dave and I are very concentrated and we're quite detailed. We force one another to finish everything. We like to do our work and get it done.

Q. The original movie "Alfie" with Michael Caine was such a hit in the 1960s. Were you familiar with his world?

A. To be honest, I saw the original movie "Alfie" at the time and I don't remember an awful lot about it, except that the character made Michael Caine a bigger star than he already was. But I know of the theme. The Alfie character is a guy that doesn't want to commit to a relationship. I think that's a character throughout the last 300-400 years in literary history that comes off again and again. He's a young guy who has lots of girlfriends before he realizes he has to settle down somehow with one of them.

Q. You've acted in and produced movies. What's the attraction?

A. It's very exciting to get a good part. But it doesn't happen very often in my case. Some actors don't ever get good parts, so it's very competitive. There are many good people out there who can sing, dance and act. There shouldn't be a great division between these things. Some people get really annoyed if they specialize in one field and someone else moves into it. But I don't care. A lot of people in music can do all things to varying degrees of success. I don't see why not. I admire people who can do more than one thing.

Q. Will the Stones tour again?

A. I don't know who's going be ready first -- [the new] Wembley Stadium or the Rolling Stones. Charlie's [Watts] a lot better. He's had all his treatments and he's been pronounced sort of free and clear of everything, so we're very pleased about that. And Keith and I have been writing new material for the Stones' new albums. I don't know when the Stones will actually tour, but I suspect we'll do the album and then we'll do a tour.

Q. So how does it feel to get up onstage these days? Is it the same thrill as when you were younger , hearing the roar of the crowd?

A. It's still a wow. Of course, it's the same thrill. It's exactly the same thing. You get in front of an audience. It's a similar feeling to when I first started ... when I get up now. You know, in a lot of ways, it's exactly the same. I don't think that the thrill or the excitement that drew you to it in the beginning is the same. But it's still a thrill.

Q. Can you define that thrill?

A. It's about never really knowing what's going to happen. You never never know what the audience is going to be like. You never know how they're going to behave. You expect them to do certain things, but they don't always do that. You don't always do the same things that you've done the night before. I think that's what brings you into live playing and what makes live playing so interesting as opposed to being in the studio.

Q. What are the best and worst aspects of being a rock icon -- besides answering all of these annoying questions?

A. Oh, dear. Oh, dear. It's such a big question and I don't think I can really handle it today. If you don't mind, I'll pass.

Distributed by Big Picture News
October 17th, 2004 04:35 PM
Some Guy Such very cool news! Time to bust a move.
Did he say albums?????????

A. I don't know who's going be ready first -- [the new] Wembley Stadium or the Rolling Stones. Charlie's [Watts] a lot better. He's had all his treatments and he's been pronounced sort of free and clear of everything, so we're very pleased about that. And Keith and I have been writing new material for the Stones' new albums. I don't know when the Stones will actually tour, but I suspect we'll do the album and then we'll do a tour.
October 17th, 2004 04:51 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Such very cool news! Time to bust a move.
Did he say albums?????????

Pal, you were fast. Anyway, if you don't mind.

WOW!!! Where's the Joeykins' nipples and penis to use the keyboard on Sundays....... WHY?!!? I know, pub time lasts till 7:00 AM of monday........

I am so happy I am not going to the job tomorrow.....wait....I left the job......anyway......
October 17th, 2004 05:11 PM
iluvmickjagger07 very intresting news. im so happy to hear mick say they r going on tour! they better come to dallas,tx or i will cry...
mick is so full of energy. he wants to do so much. i think thats very impressing. i love him!!!!!
MICK JAGGER ROCKS FOREVER
October 17th, 2004 06:32 PM
Some Guy Joey will be all over this.
October 17th, 2004 09:44 PM
Soldatti I see your happiness, J.J.Flash.
October 17th, 2004 09:50 PM
LadyJane Nice to read the words STONES ALBUM and TOUR from the mouth of Mick.

Thanks Pammy!

JJF...you crack me up!!

LJ.
October 17th, 2004 10:07 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Nice to read the words STONES ALBUM and TOUR from the mouth of Mick.

Thanks Pammy!

JJF...you crack me up!!

LJ.

i know it really is
October 18th, 2004 12:37 AM
Poplar
yadda yadda yadda... they'll need ANOTHER new stadium by the time they ever give birth to an album.

October 18th, 2004 02:27 AM
parmeda I'm sure that this has been mentioned 100 times before...forgive me for not remembering, but when exactly is Wembley Stadium supposed to be completed?

October 18th, 2004 02:39 AM
glencar Within a year.
October 18th, 2004 02:45 AM
glencar I just went to the Wembley website & it doesn't open till early '06. The FA Cup (?) will be the first major event.
October 18th, 2004 03:15 AM
parmeda Thanks, glenny. I will mark my calendar
October 18th, 2004 09:53 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I see your happiness, J.J.Flash.

I left the job indeed Soldie. Should I go to Argentina and learn all the special attributes your chicas have?

I like Sui Generis and you's?!?!

Flasky!
October 18th, 2004 09:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I left the job indeed Soldie. Should I go to Argentina and learn all the special attributes your chicas have?

I like Sui Generis and you's?!?!

Flasky!

Come here my brother, I can teach you some things...
October 18th, 2004 09:34 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Nice to read the words STONES ALBUM and TOUR from the mouth of Mick.

Thanks Pammy!

JJF...you crack me up!!

LJ.

We must make that again again my queen (friday night on chat)

Until thursday Master Nankerphelge would set up the whole thing. (I just hope the fuckin' flu is over until then).
October 18th, 2004 09:36 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Come here my brother, I can teach you some things...

I'm really looking forward to rock in Buenos Aires on the next tour.

This is gonna be SOMETHING!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
October 18th, 2004 10:17 PM
Soldatti
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
This is gonna be SOMETHING!

Wait and see...