ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals for the R&R Circus - Londonderry Hotel - 8th December 1968
© 1968 The Daily Express Archives with thanks to moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hot Wacks Review Jointrip LA 1975 Return to archive
October 17th, 2004 08:01 AM
MRD8 ROLLING STONES - DVD
LIVE AT L.A. FORUM 1975

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LABEL:
Jointrip JTDV-SP-006
SOURCE:
Los Angeles Forum, July 11th, 1975
FORMAT:
Single DVD-R, NTSC
RUNNING TIME:
Approximately 165 minutes
SOUND/SOURCE:
Mono Line Feed, Dolby Digital
PACKAGING:
Clear DVD Clamshell w/High Resolution Color Insert Artwork

FEATURES:
Interactive Menu, Song Selection

By SVENGI

SOUND 8 / PACKAGING 9 / PERFORMANCE 8 / VIDEO 9

TRACK LIST:
1. Dragon Dance, 2. Fanfare For The Common Man, 3. Honky Tonk Women, 4. All Down The Line, 5-6 If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud, 7. Star Star, 8. Gimme Shelter, 9. Ain't Too Proud To Beg, 10. You Gotta Move, 11. You Can't Always Get What You Want, 12. Happy, 13. Tumbling Dice, 14. It's Only Rock N' Roll, 15. Band Introducton, 16. (Doo Doo Doo Doo) Heartbreaker, 17. Fingerprint File, 18. Angie, 19. Wild Horses, 20. That's Life*, 21. Outta Space*, 22. Brown Sugar, 23. Midnight Rambler, 24. Rip This Joint, 25. Street Fighting Man, 26. Tune-up Jam, 27. Jumping Jack Flash, 28. Sympathy For The Devil, 29. Outro/Closing of Lotus Flower

*Billy Preston songs w/Stones backing up.

REVIEW:
A title that I was eager to sample and it has provided mixed feelings.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this pro-shot concert as there are more versions circulating than I care to comment on. All of them different in subtle ways; some don't have the Dragon Dance footage at the beginning, others differ in the audio track drasticly. Puzzling really.

Performance-wise, this is the tale of 2 concerts. The first 10 numbers are kind of all over the board but the band seems to hit a bit of a groove during "You Can't Always Get What You Want", but lose it for a bit...only to gain complete command during "Heartbreaker". The show is a knock-out after that...aside from the Billy Preston tunes that is! The highlight for me is "Fingerprint File". It's cool to see the band shuffle around with Ronnie Wood taking over Bass duties, Bill Wyman moving to Piano and Mick playing Rhythm Guitar, the first tour in which he played any Guitar. This was a spectacular production to film because of the beautiful and unusual Lotus-shaped stage. We are lucky to have this documented at least.

The audio fluctates in quality depending on what microphone Mick is using. For the first half of the concert it sounds like an excellent audience tape but improves when he switches for "Tumbling Dice"...and sticks with it from "Angie" on. Ganja's version, "L.A. Blues", has the edge in audio and is excellent soundboard from YCAGWYW forward.

This version from Jointrip wins for video quality. It is a good degree clearer than Ganja's, the Ganja version seems to be richer in color even though it suffers from some bleeding of that color.

So, I can bitch a little bit to Jointrip as their cover boasts the "Best Picture & Sound Quality Of This Show Ever Available On DVD". They are only half correct! It's a very nice disc but they failed to pay attention to the audio track and it's a bit hissy throughout.

What the definitive version would be is: Ganja's audio with Jointrips's video source, produced on a double-disc set to accommodate the PCM audio that would be desired. Any takers?

October 17th, 2004 08:15 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
What the definitive version would be is: Ganja's audio with Jointrips's video source, produced on a double-disc set to accommodate the PCM audio that would be desired. Any takers?

that isn't very difficult to do, if someone had both of the titles, and the know-how...
October 17th, 2004 01:04 PM
bootcover The new jointrip LA75 is crap
I have a 3dvd version wich is 10x better than this one
October 17th, 2004 04:49 PM
Half Nanker
quote:
bootcover wrote:
The new jointrip LA75 is crap
I have a 3dvd version wich is 10x better than this one

I just love how people come out of the woodwork, having something superior that isn't widely available...that's excellent input, isn't it? So, when can we expect a tree for this 3 DVD version???? I'm in. Anyone else?

[Edited by Half Nanker]
October 17th, 2004 06:45 PM
gustavobala is for sale???????

i want ....
October 18th, 2004 02:27 PM
jpenn11 Isn't the 3 DVD version the LA Blues title that MD8 mentioned in his review?

October 18th, 2004 09:55 PM
Half Nanker No, the Ganja L.A. Blues is a single DVD.
[Edited by Half Nanker]
October 19th, 2004 11:54 AM
claudiomoraleida I believe the Ganja version is the 3 dvd version, reauthored in just one single DVD. The 3 dvd version came out earlier than Ganja's.

[Edited by claudiomoraleida]
October 19th, 2004 11:17 PM
Half Nanker OK, that makes sense. Thank you.