ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals for the R&R Circus - Londonderry Hotel - 8th December 1968
© 1968 The Daily Express Archives with thanks to moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus! WHO went?? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 12th, 2004 12:07 PM
Martha Well......who went to the theater and watched the concert last night?

I want to know how many of us were sitting in theaters all over the country watching the Rolling Stones on the big screen!

Chris and I hit the theater in Columbus for the viewing and we met someone who lurks here and knew me (as Martha). LOL It is a small world.

I ask her to post here and join in the fun.

So, if you are reading this thread, that I promised to post, PLEASE PM me so I can send you some music!

And remember you must see Bob when he hits Columbus next month! Let's try to hook-up for that! :-)

Cool!

Oh, after the film, we were able to purchase the new DVD along with a poster, drinking cup and shopping bag all with the Circus logo on it...for 20 bucks.

Music is saving my soul.....what about YOU!?!

peace,
MArtha
October 12th, 2004 12:45 PM
56DeSoto I went! Not much of a crowd in Albuquerque...but then again, there was zero advertising and it was way the hell out in the yuppie 'burbs. Had a great time, took the bass player in my band along and he seemed to enjoy it too...except for the Yoko number. Taj Mahal is the man! Guess I'll go pick up the DVD. It wasn't offered outside of the theatre or I would've picked it up.
October 12th, 2004 02:36 PM
Saint Sway I would of went but the NY showing was sold out.

of course, I was given the option of paying another $100 to join the fan club to gain access to "special reserved" tickets

call me crazy but I cant see the point in dropping a $140 on 2 movie tix
October 12th, 2004 02:38 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I would of went but the NY showing was sold out.

of course, I was given the option of paying another $100 to join the fan club to gain access to "special reserved" tickets

call me crazy but I cant see the point in dropping a $140 on 2 movie tix

New York was the only venue sold out-you got 8 million people in a city and at least 300 Stones fans for christs sake!!!
October 12th, 2004 03:22 PM
TMR Glad you enjoyed the showing, Martha. I wished I could have seen it, but I'm sure I'll see that DVD soon enough.

Instead, I went and saw Phil Keaggy, if anyone who knows who he is. I don't know his full history, but he's now a Christian rocker, kinda I guess. You can't rock too much on an acoustic guitar, but he had some killer pickings. It felt weird taping him, seeing that they announced to turn off recording devices, while in a church, wearing a hat. No lightening bolts have made their way to me yet, so I'm safe so far.
October 12th, 2004 03:24 PM
glencar I'd have done it but it was sold out in the Big Apple. I guess this was a one-night-stand?
October 12th, 2004 03:26 PM
Nellcote I did not attend, as I was preparing for the NE Patriots slaughter of the Phins. I do not think the Stones management was any part of this release, as ABKCO owns
the whole thing. So, as usual, the Stones probably get
crumbs, Klein gets the bling..
October 12th, 2004 03:29 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I did not attend, as I was preparing for the NE Patriots slaughter of the Phins. I do not think the Stones management was any part of this release, as ABKCO owns
the whole thing. So, as usual, the Stones probably get
crumbs, Klein gets the bling..

!9-0 is fantstic, but it still ain't no perfect season...will see if they can make the run, and then I shall give you your kudos.. P.S.-Brady still looks like a fag and the Yankee nation will agian crush the Sox-and it's gonner really hurt!!!
October 12th, 2004 03:29 PM
glencar I hope you don't take it so hard (LOL!) when the ALCS ends in horrific defeat for Da Bosox yet again. Good luck with yer Pats tho.
October 12th, 2004 04:04 PM
Nellcote JB, 19-0 will never be repeated in our lifetime.
Shula can crow all he wants, in the free agency
era, this streak trumps his, and he knows it.
Further, you could only wish you get the chicks
Brady does...
On the Bosox, I will reserve comment until it's over...
October 12th, 2004 04:06 PM
glencar LOL Good idea. I'll follow.
October 12th, 2004 04:08 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
JB, 19-0 will never be repeated in our lifetime.
Shula can crow all he wants, in the free agency
era, this streak trumps his, and he knows it.
Further, you could only wish you get the chicks
Brady does...
On the Bosox, I will reserve comment until it's over...

19-0 is not a perfect season....it's a simple fact no team except the Phins went undefeated for an entire season and I trust N.E. will lose a game or 2 as well...this takes nothing away from the Pats-a very solid team who will probably win their 3rd SuperBowl...but they ain't perfect-yet.
October 12th, 2004 04:12 PM
gypsy I didn't get to go--which totally sucks, as I heard that they had a double feature of "Rock & Roll Circus" and "Ladies And Gentlemen" in OKC. I wish the screening could have been on a Fri, Sat, or even Sun night. Showing it on a Monday made it impossible for me to find anyone to go.
Sounds like you got a lot of cool stuff, Martha! I'm envious--but also happy for you, of course.
October 12th, 2004 04:16 PM
glencar You should have gone on your own. There might be some other fanatics down there.
October 12th, 2004 04:21 PM
BILL PERKS [quote]jb wrote:
Very disappointing to hear of such a low turn out at the various theaters. Again, a terrible marketing mistake by the Stones management team, but not unexpected(see release of 40 Licks same week as Elvis causing us to lose #1 record in 4th decade, poor marketing of tour, horrible Live Licks CD to be released, Alfie, etc). They obviously thought Beatles/Lennon/Who fans would show up, but these fans, unlike most of the casual Stones fans we find on the net, are 100% loyal to their groups and would not support a Stones project, even if their groups were tangentially involved. Consequently, we are left again embarrassed by the low turn out in the theaters for this so-called grand event. I, on the other hand, shall watch the DVD in the comfort of my home on a 65 inch HDTV with surround sound and simply skip all non-stones frames. I will save myself the humiliation of showing up to a empty theater.
YOU'RE AN IDIOT WHO KNOWS THE STONES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MARKETING THIS RELEASE...SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR THE NEXT WOODY ALLEN FLOP
October 12th, 2004 04:33 PM
Saint Sway so is today the day I can buy the fucker?

I want the poster too!
October 12th, 2004 04:49 PM
Joey

Congratulations Martha .................
October 12th, 2004 05:46 PM
Phog I went to the KC showing and walked away with all the same shit that Martha did. As seems to be the trend, it was a pretty low turnout. 20-30 people, I guess. Absolutely nothing in the way of advertisment. If I hadn't seen it on this board I would never have known about it. Poor planning, but it was fun anyway.
October 12th, 2004 06:28 PM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
so is today the day I can buy the fucker?

I want the poster too!

-AND-
quote:
I went to the KC showing and walked away with all the same shit that Martha did.

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P HA!!! HA!!! HA!!! lol........
Sounds like the same tired mood I'm in today... lol........
HE!!! HE!!! :P That's funny...
lol....... :P I'm glad you could go, Martha!!!
Unfortunately, it was playing pretty far from
where I live now and in a Nazi-ass, yuppified 'burb I
wouldn't DREAM of stepping foot in if I can avoid it
(Irvine, CA.)... Plus, the fact that I seem to be
over-loading myself with things lately... lol...............
Had to take a damn day off of work today just to rest...
I watched the 4 Flicks DVDs all weekend, though,
which was fun!!! I'll probably get the RNR
Circus DVD, though, soon anyways, so...

Anyways, take care, PEACE, and ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
October 12th, 2004 06:55 PM
Gazza Josh

I've maintained for years that this is further proof that 99.9% of Americans despise the Stones. No doubt if they were screening "Yellow Submarine" or a 5 minute silent film of John Lennons penis as filmed by Yoko, the Beatles-loving Yanks would have turned up in their millions. The Stones should avoid playing the USA on their next tour as the millions of empty seats will be humiliating.
October 12th, 2004 07:13 PM
glencar LOL @ Gazza!

Is this new DVD the same as the VHS or is there new shit?
October 12th, 2004 07:21 PM
Gazza theres a couple of extra performances but nothing extra by the Stones, unfortunately.

October 12th, 2004 07:23 PM
MarthaMyDear Maybe Joshykins is right, though!!! lol......... I would
rather work-out to Buns Of Steel than, well, if it would have
played here, I would have seen the fucker!!! Yes... Any new
shit on this DVD... And, shit?!?!?! lol.......
:P HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! TIA!!!

*** Martha ***
October 12th, 2004 07:25 PM
MarthaMyDear THANKS, FUCKER!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P AND,
SHIT!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
October 12th, 2004 07:30 PM
glencar You're crazy Martha!
October 12th, 2004 07:30 PM
Gimme Shelter Just picked up the DVD on the way home from work and am about to watch it.
October 12th, 2004 07:37 PM
MarthaMyDear What took you so long to figure that one out, glencar?!?!?!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! Awwww... I like
being this way... You have to accept who you are and embrace
it... Fuck it... lol...... :P Anyways, take care,
PEACE, and ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
October 12th, 2004 07:42 PM
glencar LOL I get crazy sometimes but I wouldn't avoid a movie just because of the neighborhood! Rock ON!
October 12th, 2004 08:27 PM
mac_daddy i went to go see the mark lanegan band instead.

plus the nearest socal venue, i believe, was down in irvine (which is over an hour away)...
October 12th, 2004 10:13 PM
Soldatti How many crazy people will go to see a movie available from years on all the posible formats? The Stones are alive still, if you want to see Mick or Keith they are there. The Beatles were out for 34 years and 2 od 4 members are dead. They are legends and the people always will have the band on his memory and heart.
Bad marketing? The only bad marketing was release Forty Licks the week after that Elvis (another death legend) but bad marketing with $300 gross, 6 million copies sold of Forty Licks and another 2 million copies sold of the back catalog, all on 18 months? I don't think so...

And BTW the Stones were always more popular on the States than on his country, they are #5 on the US all time artists and only #8 on UK, they had 26 consecutives US Top 10 albums between 1964 and 1980, more US Top 10 albums than anyone and they always get more high positions on the US lists of all time (best albums, best influences...) that on England where I remember see Mick at #51 on the NME list of all time singers...
Page: 1 2