ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The catgirls from Jerusalem
Show us your... faces people, post a pic of yourself here

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Strokes Tour 2003 Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-21-03 01:01 PM
Cardinal Fang Factory Girl & Honky Tonk Man !!

Here is something that we can agree on.

I LOVE THE LIBERTINES !!!

I saw them live back in May. Despite the typical UK music press hype they were not the second coming of The Clash BUT they did make a great album that Mick Jones from The Clash produced.

They remind me of The Clash and The Jam. Like "what if Paul Weller joined The Clash and they all recorded Setting Sons.

The songs I love are What A Waster, Horror Show, Time For Heroes. They also covered their producer's song "Somebody Got Murdered". IMO it's not as good as Mick's but how COULD it be.

"What a Waster, What a fucking WASTE, a Two Bob Cunt"
Great Lyrics

My advice K ? You will actually like the KOL album better but give The Libertines a listen. I prefer BOTH bands to The Strokes. I like The White Stripes best of all the bands mentioned.

Also, is "Ethyl" bothering you K ? lol :-)
HEY ETHYL, go play with Lucy and leave these kids alone. I will start a thread just FOR YOU to play in. (What are friends for !!)

You too Otis.

Later, J

P.S. Syph says "Hey !"

P.P.S. For Alex or anybody who knows, WHAT'S THE STORY about one of The Libertines breaking into another members house and going to jail ? Or is this just a bullshit story ?
10-21-03 01:07 PM
Factory Girl Hey, CF! I like the Datsuns. MF From Hell rocks.

Hey, HT Man! Which do you like better-Libertines or the Datsuns?
10-21-03 03:32 PM
Honky Tonk Man It's no bullshit story. He broke into Carl Barats flat and served about 3 weeks in Wandsworth Prison. Pete Doherty claims that he broke in to get some stuff back which Carl had borrowed. He took an NME Award and a vintage guitar, amoungst other stuff.

FG, i hate the Datsuns. The Libertines are more my thing. Get their album (Up The Bracket) Im hoping you will like it. Its got a very raw sound. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but i reckon they sound quite original.

Alex
10-21-03 03:56 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Libertines are more my thing. Get their album (Up The Bracket) Im hoping you will like it. Its got a very raw sound. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but i reckon they sound quite original.

Alex

I take it you are not too familiar with The Jam ? :-) Don't get me wrong Alex, I like The Libertines but "quite original" ?? That's like saying the song "Star Star" is quite original. (I suppose it is if you've never ever heard any of Chuck Berry stuff ??) The Libertines have borrowed heavily (HEAVILY) from The Jam, The Clash, and even The Kinks. Still all in all a highly listenable band.

Thank you Alex for the breaking and entering information. When I first heard the news I thought it was either a publicity stunt or something just wasn't quite right. Now I know thank's to you !!!

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-21-03 06:18 PM
Honky Tonk Man Yes im familar with the Jam, i guess i just haven't heard their influence in the Libertines. Maybe im back tracking a bit here, but i just think they sound fresh. I honestly don't think we have had a British band like them for years. I never really dug Oasis or much of the Brit-Pop stuff really.

Im glad they are slowly breaking into America. I actually started a thread about the band a day or two ago, but no one seemed interested. I bought the US version of "Up The Bracket" in the States (What A Waster isnt on the UK version) and several assistants told me how great a band they thought they were.

Alex
10-21-03 11:19 PM
mac_daddy First night of The Strokes 2003 Room On Fire tour .. awesomeness. Not a great recording, but it is very listenable and *very* recommended. We might have an album of the year on our hands coming up later this month.

It's one of those recordings that when you first hear it, you are like, ahh~! But then you realize that you could totally swing listening to the whole thing.

This is taped with good equipment, but mics had to be put at waist level because security wasn't cool with recording ... and thus were not pointed directly to the PA. So imagine listening to a high quality Strokes recording, but with the comfortor of your bed over your head.

So enjoy until there is more new Strokes out there .. I heard 10/14 Toronto and 10/31 Lowell, MA are coming to StG. Now, axiously await!

==============

The Strokes
October 9, 2003
Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA

Support: Kings Of Leon, Regina Spektor

Source/conversion: Custom Made Stereo Binaural Microphones -> 9V Battery Box -> Sharp MD-SR60 (Line-In) -> Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (Hard Drive Line-In; record) -> .wav -> Sound Forge 6.0 (boost left mic level - normalize) -> .flac

Track Listing..

01 Between Love And Hate
02 What Ever Happened
03 Soma
04 Someday
05 Reptilia
06 Under Control
07 Hard To Explain
08 I Can't Win
09 The End Has No End
10 The Modern Age->
11 12:51