ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The catgirls from Jerusalem
Show us your... faces people, post a pic of yourself here

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Should be ''Nearness of You'' in the next studio album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-19-03 09:23 PM
Flashpoint ....I been thinking, you know?..cause it's such a lovely song and Keith definitely did a great job...
And he can put all his effort on a new rocker tune
10-19-03 09:39 PM
steel driving hammer He can do ANYTHING he wants!

All we can do is just wait and listen...
10-19-03 09:49 PM
Boomy Wait, and wait, and wait.......for a loooooooooooooong time.
10-19-03 09:51 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Boomy wrote:
Wait, and wait, and wait.......for a loooooooooooooong time.

Maybe, maybe not, who knows you Indiana bastard on a Indiana night!
10-20-03 10:17 AM
jb Lets hope not....Any more ballads would be sickening...this is an overrated song by those of you who think it's cool..just like HSIYL....your so desperate for something different in concert, that you latch on to these #'s like they are classics...the reality is they are boring.
10-20-03 10:38 AM
LadyJane Excuse me jb!! But until you have heard this song performed live...you have no right to cast stones (pardon the pun). EVERY review from Europe and those of us lucky enough to be in Toronto remarked that "Nearness" was a highlight.

I do agree that we could do without two new Keith ballads. So...for the new album..."Nearness" is a great idea!!

LadyJ.
10-20-03 10:42 AM
steel driving hammer All of Keiths ballads are heartfelt.
10-20-03 10:45 AM
jb The Dolphins really suck...
10-20-03 10:49 AM
nankerphelge I gotta agree with jb that I can do without Keith's ballads -- I liked The Worst and Thief -- but enough already! It's like fucking Sominex!

The difference with Nearness is that it isn't his tune -- it is a classy rendition and fits Keith well. Go ahead, put it on a new release, and then throw the rest of Keith's stuff in a vault.

Is Keith physically incapable of rocking anymore?
I know he had trouble standing this tour...
[Edited by nankerphelge]
[Edited by nankerphelge]
10-20-03 10:52 AM
steel driving hammer 81-82 was better...
10-20-03 10:53 AM
nankerphelge Yeah for tinny sound and shitty vocals!!

'78 anyday!
10-20-03 10:55 AM
steel driving hammer 81-82 was still better.
10-20-03 10:56 AM
Factory Girl 94 was better.
10-20-03 10:56 AM
steel driving hammer Josh is Palmetto Cir in Boca Raton a nice area?

Please answer honest.
10-20-03 10:57 AM
steel driving hammer 94 was good but not better.
10-20-03 10:59 AM
nankerphelge '94 was better too!
10-20-03 11:02 AM
steel driving hammer 02 was better than 94.
10-20-03 11:03 AM
nankerphelge Can't argue with that one!
10-20-03 11:19 AM
jb I need the whole address SDH..Palmetto Park Road is a major road near Boca....
10-20-03 11:23 AM
T&A JB:

If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy dude....

I like KR's take on Nearness, as beautiful a love song as anyone has ever crafted. KR's take isn't the best version I've heard (at the moment, I'd go with Chet Baker's)...but it certainly is heartfelt.

Personally, I think the Stones would be well-suited to do more ballads and blues and less rockers as they enter their sixties...I know I'm softening as I age...
10-20-03 11:26 AM
steel driving hammer Don't feel real safe giving the whole addy but thanks I looked it up on Yahoo.

The guy has a nice collection of Stones boots btw.
10-20-03 11:38 AM
jb That's a real dilema for them...I like the harder rock oriented songs, but many of the older fans prefer the ballads...I don't mind a good ballad thrown into the mix, but Keith has not really written a good rocker in some time and I can say objectively as a fan, his ballads really slow the momentum of the live show...
10-20-03 11:47 AM
T&A for the live show, that's different. the question was regarding the next album. Personally, I would find it more than a little embarrassing if the Stones wrote a bunch more sophomoric rockers with teenage lyrics ("Fight," Sad Sad Sad). What's wrong with a little maturity?
10-20-03 11:48 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Is Keith all washed up as a Rocker?

It's Not Dark Yet, but it's getting there...
10-20-03 11:50 AM
quackenbush His solo albums have quite a few rocking songs on them:

Eileen
I could have stood you up
whip it up
You don't move me
Take it so hard
Runnin too deep
Will But You Won't

He can still rock, but I think his motivation might not be there.

Do you think its harder to write a convincing rocker or a ballad?
10-20-03 11:51 AM
Mr T only if it replaces a song as bad as Losing my Touch

So far most of Keith's origionals have been just fine - no need for covers. He did do a good job on it though
10-20-03 11:54 AM
jb Yes b/c of their age the ballads tend to be more true to life...and I do agree that the forced rockers(Mixed Emotions, Sad, Sad Sad, I go wild, Too Tight, Suck on the jugular, Spark will fly) are horrendous...I think "Don't Stop" was close , but a little too pop....I liked "Love is Strong" which im my opinion, was their best rocker since 81...
10-20-03 12:07 PM
T&A amazing how different opinions can be. Unlike Mr.T...I think Losing My Touch is the best Stones ballad in 30 years. One beeeeeauuutiful song...

Keith has said many-a-time that writing a good ballad is much harder than a good rocker (or do I have that backward?)....
10-20-03 03:33 PM
Joey " Keith has said many-a-time that writing a good ballad is much harder than a good rocker (or do I have that backward?).... "

I am not sure , but I do know this : this is THE BEST STONES YET !!!!!!! and Keith is a major ( mojo ) reason why ............................................

Now , if you will please excuse me , I need to pee .

Jercee !
10-20-03 03:36 PM
jb jOEY, i SAW IT POSTED ON gASx3 AND sHIDOObEE that Jack Bruce had a liver transplant.
Page: 1 2