ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The catgirls from Jerusalem
Show us your... faces people, post a pic of yourself here

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith and Tom Waits's "That Feel" Chords Return to archive
10-17-03 01:20 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Quick question.

Does "That Feel" begin on B-flat?

I think it does, and I've been playing it in B-flat, but I've gotta make sure.

-tSYX --- Well there's one thing you can't lose...
10-17-03 02:23 AM
Cardinal Fang Yes, it's a B flat.

The intro is B flat, D sharp, F, etc.

I hope this helps you out.

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-17-03 05:32 AM
Keefness If it starts on a Bb, technically the next chord would be called an Eb (not a D#) then an F..ya don't mix sharps and flats in the same key. It just confuses the mind.
10-17-03 11:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Just making sure! I've been playing it in B-flat and panicked this morning when someone asked me "are you *sure* that's the right starting chord?"

Thanks, crew.

-tSYX --- It's that feeeeeeeeeeel...
10-18-03 12:02 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
Keefness wrote:
If it starts on a Bb, technically the next chord would be called an Eb (not a D#) then an F..ya don't mix sharps and flats in the same key. It just confuses the mind.

No offense but I am a guitar teacher and either term is exceptable. Typically most instrument's notations use "#" sharp for everything EXCEPT for B flat. Part of this has to do with when you are playing with Sax/Clarinet/Trumpet players who are already in "Bb". (there's more to it but I'm not going to bore you with it !!)

Also when you purchase a Harmonica, "Bb" is labled "Bb" and ALL OTHER flat/sharps are listed as "#" (sharps) ALL the companys do this, Horner, Lee Oskar, etc. However if memory serves me, I do recall seeing a Chinese harmonica once labeled "Ab".

I'm sorry this is confusing but they've been doing it this way, WAY before my time.

Keep on playing.

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-18-03 10:41 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Cardinal! Check trivia thread!
10-19-03 06:19 AM
Keefness I appreciate your teachings, but if you get on a gig with guys that have been playing for 20 or 30 years, and start calling changes in a flat key and then throw in a #chord just because it's technically acceptable, you're more than likely to get thrown out at the end of the set for causing a trainwreck & not called back.

If it's a session where there's time for everyone to see it coming before the light goes red, you're just gonna get snickered at...& not called back.

Theory is information. Short-hand communication is tools. Both are essential, but the experienced guys will choose the simplest shorthand always.

No offense intended, I'm just explaining point of view from the perspective of, "..Hi..glad you're here..set up there, and here are a few charts..watch a few of the guys for changes on some of the bridges or modulations..ok, Shuffle in the key of A, Ladies! ..2,3,4..."