ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The catgirls from Jerusalem
Show us your... faces people, post a pic of yourself here

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Titles of the two new songs on DVD: Well Well, Extreme Western Grip Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-03-03 03:38 PM
macawber

{i'm just happy like a rolling stone isn't in the set}

thank god- one of the stones worst mistakes of the last 20 years is releasing this clunker instead of going into the attic and digging out drift away.
10-06-03 11:11 AM
Mr T
quote:
macawber wrote:
thank god- one of the stones worst mistakes of the last 20 years is releasing this clunker instead of going into the attic and digging out drift away.

why? their cover of Drift Away couldn't have sounded more like the origional, why bother? At least LARS was an improvement from the Dylan version
10-08-03 03:24 PM
Some Guy When will we hear something about the new songs
10-08-03 06:06 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mr T wrote:

their cover of Drift Away couldn't have sounded more like the origional, why bother? At least LARS was an improvement from the Dylan version

Disagree. On both counts. The Stones' version of "Drift Away" is easily the most soulful and authoritative version of the Dobie Gray song. The original has none of the raw guitar sound or spaciousness that the Stones' version has, and it has absolutely nothing like the Stones' swelling, majestic coda. The Stones' version of Drift Away sounds like something out of the pre-Aftermath incarnation of the band, performed by the more experienced musicians of the 70s. It is glorious, and fully overcomes the original.

The Stones' version of "Like a Rolling Stone" has very little of Dylan's fevered, vindictive drive, and it doesn't even have very much "Stones" in it, relying heavily on a copy of the original arrangement (unlike "Drift Away", which is a total, guitar driven, spare overhaul of an overly lush song.) Have you ever heard the 1966 Manchester Free Trade version of this song by Dylan and the Hawks? THAT'S what a totally apocalyptic rock arrangement of "Like a Rolling Stone" sounds like.

While I have grown to hate this song as a concert experience much less than many of you, I continue to find absolutely no value in revisiting the Stones' version of this song outside of attending a performance.
10-09-03 08:01 PM
John Wood I don't care what anyone says I love the version of Like A Rolling Stone on Stripped, and everytime I have seen them play it live they play it really well and the crowd gets into it.
10-13-03 11:57 AM
jb
10-13-03 04:29 PM
glencar I wonder what the lyrics to "Well Well" are. As a tennis player, I avoid the Western grip but I still can't wait for the next 4 weeks to pass buy so we can hear these gems.
10-13-03 07:31 PM
steel driving hammer
10-14-03 10:36 AM
T&A Don't get me started on the Stones doing LARS - it was a cute little idea at the time ('95) - and their version is okay musically - but Jagger has absolutely no clue how do dig into this song. Bob still performs this song with nuance and conviction after 40 years. Mick should stop trying.
10-14-03 07:03 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
glencar wrote:
I wonder what the lyrics to "Well Well" are. As a tennis player, I avoid the Western grip but I still can't wait for the next 4 weeks to pass buy so we can hear these gems.

Lyrics ;-) Judging by the title, I wonder if we're not going to get another "Cook Cook Blues"!

I suppose we'll see them playing these songs in the studio. Hope they've sparkled the finished songs with some nasty jams!
10-15-03 05:00 PM
glencar They need to put out a new album & soon.
10-16-03 03:47 PM
macawber people-stop doing this to yourselves.

the stones are never and i mean never going to put out any great new music again.

here's why: when the stones songs that we all love were written the stones, and especially keith,lived in the studio.they would sit for days and weeks working on those tunes until they got it just right.when mick AND keith agreed that they had nailed it the song was used for an album.bill once made a comment that he and charlie would sit for hours just waiting for keith to get a chord sequence right.

now the songs are pre-written by mick OR keith.then they are brought in and touched up by the band.this is usually done by commitee,with chuck leavell and don was also throwing in ideas,just to keep mick and keith away from each others throats.thats why the songs sound half-written,or like outtakes from a solo record-they usually are.
let me guess:the new songs will be a. a keith ballad-zzzzzz
or b.a mid-tempo rocker.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
10-16-03 07:35 PM
Some Guy Man , I think you are right. Enjoy the past and let go of the idea of another Exile, or anything really good
10-17-03 10:07 PM
Some Guy I've rethunk this and i believe the boys are pacing themselves and will soon unleash an album that we are all waiting for. A swift kick in the ass, not a bad title.
10-19-03 05:57 PM
Child of the Moon I just ordered my copy of Four Flicks today. I can't tell you how excited I am for this set. In fact, I only have one real gripe about the whole thing: The MSG show, and how they moitted JJF, but kept SFTD. I'm sorry, but I've watched that special several times, and Keith FUCKS UP ROYALLY on Sympathy, whereas on JJF, he suddenly wakes up and rocks a bit. Why on earth would anyone choose that awful version of Sympathy over a comparatively explosive JJF?

Other than that...

"I wanna hear Nearness of You on disc 4 so bad I can taste it, Ronnie!"
Page: 1 2